Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Woof Blitzer posted:

How many slope changes does your roof have?

I don't really know how to calculate that. Here's a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Seems to be a few days. When we lived in our apartment (in a big old quadplex) and they reroofed it, I think they were in and out in a few days. Big building but very simple shallow hipped roof with one dormer.

More recently, our landlord neighbor reroofed two multiunit Victorians they owned, one after another, in about a week. These were very steep, pointy, high-up roofs that required ropes and harnesses so I'm thinking safety protocol added a bit of time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Queen Victorian posted:

Seems to be a few days. When we lived in our apartment (in a big old quadplex) and they reroofed it, I think they were in and out in a few days. Big building but very simple shallow hipped roof with one dormer.

More recently, our landlord neighbor reroofed two multiunit Victorians they owned, one after another, in about a week. These were very steep, pointy, high-up roofs that required ropes and harnesses so I'm thinking safety protocol added a bit of time.

And because it may have gotten lost at the end of the last page - my roof above (which is a simpler roof of course) was done in a day.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
We have a Coldspot beer fridge that is older than me and shows no signs of letting up. It’s really amazing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BonoMan posted:

To actually do the work? One day.

Going through the process and getting scheduled obviously takes a little time, but the actual re-roofing was one day. Those crews loving HUSTLE.

Ah, cool thanks.

Can't imagine our house would take too long then as it's just a rectangle. :goleft:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BonoMan posted:

I don't really know how to calculate that. Here's a pic.

Pretty close to what I thought. I bet prices have gone up since then though.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just had our 1600 sq ft roof done, northern virginia. Got 4 quotes, went with the 2nd cheapest at 13k (included new gutters and fascia) . Got fancier architectural shingles.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pretty close to what I thought. I bet prices have gone up since then though.

Oh hundo percent. This was 2018.

Also they threw in seamless steel gutters for the entire house for just $700. Covers entire front and back minus the garage.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

How much concrete are we talking about?

Some napkin math says it's probably around 60' at 3' wide.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

Some napkin math says it's probably around 60' at 3' wide.

Yeah....no. That is not baby's first concrete job. That's over 2 yards of concrete, which is like 100 80 lb bags. If you call a truck you need to be ready for them and know what you're doing already. You're going to need a couple yards of stone, some way to excavate and make forms, expansion joints, put that stone in, have all of that level, and then you get to the concrete part and finishing it.

There are some huge, expensive and messy mistakes that can be made in all of this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol new fridge got delivered today. Had to disassemble 3 doors in the house to get it in, and turns out one of the door switches is busted.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol new fridge got delivered today. Had to disassemble 3 doors in the house to get it in, and turns out one of the door switches is busted.

:owned:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Wallet posted:

I want to add a walk in part of my yard and while concrete wouldn't be my first choice that's what the existing sidewalk already is so I'd like it to match. How stupid is it to try and do this myself instead of hiring it out? I'm handy but I've never worked with concrete.

I was thinking about putting a concrete patio for a firepit in my backyard by myself. I've been doing a lot of DIY for just over two years now, and have done some small (like 1'x2') concrete paver-like blocks, so I didn't feel incompetent.

Once I did the math for a 20'x20' concrete pad, I realized it was going to be well over 300 bags of 60lb concrete mix. I had to rent a truck and bust my rear end for half a day to move 30 bags two years ago, so 300 was an instant "no god drat way." The only way to do something like that is having a concrete truck come, and like moto said, that's way more involved than you'd think. First, the one I called told me they won't drive onto your driveway, and only the first 10 minutes(!) is free, so after that you're paying for them to sit there while you try to wheelbarrow literal tons of concrete into place. All that aside, even if getting the truck where you want it is possible, the forms aren't trivial, and you've gotta be ready to level a lot of space. Plus, when pouring something that large, if a form breaks or whatever, you can have an incredible, expensive mess in your yard in what amounts to seconds. I spent weeks trying to figure out if it was plausible and decided that no, there was no way I was going to DIY concrete forms. Instead, I priced out Techo Bloc pavers, and found that they're very competitive on the price per sq ft, I can have them delivered on palettes and stored outside (try that with concrete bags), and move them at my leisure as I work. It's not going to be without it's challenges, but it's a much more forgiving project than pouring concrete.

On an unrelated note, would I be crazy to use a basic acrylic or silicone caulk to seal the 1/8" gap between my window ac unit and the window frame, with the intention of just peeling it off in October?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

On an unrelated note, would I be crazy to use a basic acrylic or silicone caulk to seal the 1/8" gap between my window ac unit and the window frame, with the intention of just peeling it off in October?

I would think some aluminum tape would be a lot less hassle.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We have a Coldspot beer fridge that is older than me and shows no signs of letting up. It’s really amazing.

My mom gave me an old chest freezer in 2001, it finally died in about 2006 or so. the tag on the back showed that she and dad had bought it in 1959.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stored outside (try that with concrete bags),

You mean your all naturally made* 1'x2'x6" rustic pavers in a bag?

* Prop 65: Causes cancer in the state of california.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

I would think some aluminum tape would be a lot less hassle.
I would use that or the weather stripping tape if I had it in the house

H110Hawk posted:

You mean your all naturally made* 1'x2'x6" rustic pavers in a bag?

* Prop 65: Causes cancer in the state of california.

Oooh, then I'd get to be THAT po

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Oooh, then I'd get to be THAT po

loving Gary

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My AC unit outside has been making a loud clicking noise as it appears this little green wire w/a metal eyelet is loose and the fans are hitting it as they go around. It still runs and cools, but is it obvious how I can fix this myself? Do i want to try to attach it to this nearby post with the gorund sticker? Thanks!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Yeah....no. That is not baby's first concrete job. That's over 2 yards of concrete, which is like 100 80 lb bags. If you call a truck you need to be ready for them and know what you're doing already. You're going to need a couple yards of stone, some way to excavate and make forms, expansion joints, put that stone in, have all of that level, and then you get to the concrete part and finishing it.

There are some huge, expensive and messy mistakes that can be made in all of this.

I was thinking about putting a concrete patio for a firepit in my backyard by myself. I've been doing a lot of DIY for just over two years now, and have done some small (like 1'x2') concrete paver-like blocks, so I didn't feel incompetent.

Yeah, when I did the math and came up with 60' that was my gut reaction. Guess I'll either pay someone or go about it some other way.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

willroc7 posted:

My AC unit outside has been making a loud clicking noise as it appears this little green wire w/a metal eyelet is loose and the fans are hitting it as they go around. It still runs and cools, but is it obvious how I can fix this myself? Do i want to try to attach it to this nearby post with the gorund sticker? Thanks!

I'd look for a loose screw on the bottom and try to figure out where it was attached before. Just needs to be reattached. Looks like that may be the motor it was grounding so I wouldn't just shoot a self tapping screw into it randomly. Try and find where it was attached before.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah, when I did the math and came up with 60' that was my gut reaction. Guess I'll either pay someone or go about it some other way.

I just did a 20'x10' patio in the affordable midwest and got quotes around $10-15 per sq foot ($2000-$3000 total for mine) if you want an idea of ballpark figures for this work. Included removal of dirt, laying out gravel and pouring 4" concrete pad and assumed easy access for a skid steer.

I'm so happy I didn't even think about doing it myself. The team of 4 guys busted their asses for 6 hours on site prep and then again 4 of them showed up and worked another 6 hours doing some last minute fixes/changes and pouring concrete.

e: clarity

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 26, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I did 6 2 cubic foot piers with a mixer and absolutely wouldn't do anything bigger by hand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

Anything you do for a 60 foot walkway, whether concrete or pavers, is well and far into "need a machine" territory due to the amount of excavation and materials that need to be moved. You could get away with almost anything, even a walk behind skid steer, but you're gonna need SOMETHING. I'd go with a miniex with a grading bucket if I had my choice. If I landed on pavers as a solution I'd want a tamper too.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

willroc7 posted:

That is definitely a ground wire. I would assume it hooks to that ground post below the sticker, but I'm a bit confused because it looks like the fan blade would chop it off once it started spinning...?

In any case, somewhere there is either a post without a nut or a threaded hole without a screw that you attach the wire to.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Anything you do for a 60 foot walkway, whether concrete or pavers, is well and far into "need a machine" territory due to the amount of excavation and materials that need to be moved. You could get away with almost anything, even a walk behind skid steer, but you're gonna need SOMETHING. I'd go with a miniex with a grading bucket if I had my choice. If I landed on pavers as a solution I'd want a tamper too.

You can't get anything more than 4' wide in there which cuts down on the options. I'm replacing around 20'x25' of lawn with a garden (and a path) so while I will have to get the sod out of there I won't have to move the dirt very far. I dug out a similar amount of lawn with a foot shovel last year so I'm not super worried about that part (though I'll probably rent a sod cutter this time), but getting the amount of gravel/sand and pavers or concrete I need in there won't be the funnest if I have to move it all myself.

The current plan was/is to have the path loop back on itself (which is how we get to 60' in a 20'x25' area) but I can cut it down significantly by adjusting the way it's laid out. Whatever I do it will be a project for next spring so I have a while to figure it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

You can't get anything more than 4' wide in there which cuts down on the options.

Not really. My miniex will fit through a 32" doorway if you fold down the rollbar and retract the tracks all the way in (the small ones are made so you can use them for basement work). Any walk behind skid steer I've seen would fit as well. So you'll see be fine in that respect. You'll have to plan out the job carefully of course, like in any other limited space operation.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Is a heat recovery unit worthwhile in an older house that isn't buttoned up to modern standards?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I posted about this before, but our move out cleaning company flooded our bathroom in the house we rented before buying last month. They left sink plugged, water running, and left for a few hours. It was our cleaning company that we hired to go above and beyond. Now previous landlord is charging >$1k of flood damages, and the pictures of damage look legit.

If I make a claim on renters insurance to cover this incident, will that affect my home insurance premiums? I know it did at the point of application, but not sure how that works after the fact or when we get to policy renewal stage. Renters policy is with Assurant and home owners is is with Traveler but both are through Geico, if that makes a difference. I made a claim for some stolen goods in 2019. I want to recoup some costs, but also don't want to be stupid and increase my premiums for years to come.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

FISHMANPET posted:

Hey mine got delivered today and I can't fit it through the door frame to my kitchen either! I pried off the casing but I'm struggling to get this "inner" door frame out as dipshit PO seems to have nailed the top piece to the sides and slid it into place. There's not enough clearance to pry the top piece clear of the sides.

https://i.imgur.com/Mymvl5h.jpg

They also tiled right up against the frame in the kitchen side so hopefully they didn't nail to far down on the sides.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I mean they're wider than they are deep, I'll assume y'all tried to rotate 90 + take handles off or something.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

ErikTheRed posted:

Hey mine got delivered today and I can't fit it through the door frame to my kitchen either! I pried off the casing but I'm struggling to get this "inner" door frame out as dipshit PO seems to have nailed the top piece to the sides and slid it into place. There's not enough clearance to pry the top piece clear of the sides.

https://i.imgur.com/Mymvl5h.jpg

They also tiled right up against the frame in the kitchen side so hopefully they didn't nail to far down on the sides.

lol, lmao, &c.
https://www.harborfreight.com/rotary-tool-kit-80-pc-63235.html?_br_psugg_q=rotary+tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-63113.html

godspeed

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

amethystbliss posted:

I posted about this before, but our move out cleaning company flooded our bathroom in the house we rented before buying last month. They left sink plugged, water running, and left for a few hours. It was our cleaning company that we hired to go above and beyond. Now previous landlord is charging >$1k of flood damages, and the pictures of damage look legit.

If I make a claim on renters insurance to cover this incident, will that affect my home insurance premiums? I know it did at the point of application, but not sure how that works after the fact or when we get to policy renewal stage. Renters policy is with Assurant and home owners is is with Traveler but both are through Geico, if that makes a difference. I made a claim for some stolen goods in 2019. I want to recoup some costs, but also don't want to be stupid and increase my premiums for years to come.

I didn’t think renters insurance normally covered damages to the rental property, only loss of your personal property. I would think that the cleaning company (if properly licensed) would be required to have some sort of liability insurance that should cover this. I’m guessing that the landlord would want you to pay immediately regardless but this also seems like they should be contacting their HOI as well. Sorry it’s a lovely situation.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My renters insurance covered property damage. I would call them and explain and see if they'll sur rthe cleaning company.. or call the cleaning company and be like yooo you hosed up, they also have insurance.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea that would probably be the best way to do it then. Have your rental insurance go after the cleaning company.

edit: I wouldn’t think it would affect your HOI rates because it’s a different property but honestly who knows

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

amethystbliss posted:

Why did you hire the wet bandits to clean your house?

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

falz posted:

I mean they're wider than they are deep, I'll assume y'all tried to rotate 90 + take handles off or something.

Yes, I just have it that way in the picture to block the kids from messing with the partially disassembled doorway

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

Whew, got all the casing/framing off the door with just a pry bar and got the fridge into the kitchen and installed. Good riddance.

I should probably just put the casing back where it was but I'm considering replacing it and getting rid of those shims/spacers for simplicity. Also the boards between either side of the doorways were stained half light and half dark (not even a clean line) which looks dumb. Are casing and trim also affected by the lumber price inflation?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

willroc7 posted:

This should go without saying, but just in case:
Please ensure your air conditioner is off before trying to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

We have faux wood laminate flooring and have a soft/spongy spot. Moved in in August. I'm worried it might be a slow leak as it is right next to a wall that has bathroom sinks on the other side. Since we moved in the spot has gotten larger. We had a leak in another area a few months ago and those boards buckled, but these aren't and I can't detect any other signs of water. I know it could just be an uneven area of the sub-flooring but if that was the case would it be slowly expanding over the course of 3-9 months? What's the best way to determine what is going on besides ripping up that area of the floor?