Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Please, they are Robot craftsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is completely true re: the video I posted.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

About ready to move into a 50s rambler where we'll totally gut the kitchen and build a modern one that will be on the higher end. Style wise we've got a pretty good idea where we're going, but I'm looking for recommendations for modern amenities and functional design. There are a few things that we know we'll do like pull out shelves in bottom cabinets to get at pots and pans easier and a kitchen drawer charging station. Any other recommendations along those lines of things that y'all have seen and loved or things in your kitchen that you can't live without?

Along the same lines, what brand appliances should we go with? We're looking for a separate gas range and oven and probably want to go with the quietest dish washer on the market as our one right now is a loud nightmare. I don't want to go cheap but probably not 10k total for everything either. A bundle deal with a range, oven, dish washer, microwave, and refrigerator might be what we're looking for. Any recommendations?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I did pretty decent replacing my appliances by scalping the box stores every time I'd visit, looking for sales and retuned items.

It's a medley of brands purchased over some months I have, but individually they had great reviews and were purchased for far less than regular price. If you have the luxury of time and space to store the stuff during the remodel, that is.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sliding lower cabinets. Maybe pull-down racks for higher cabinets. A magnetic wall surface for hanging stuff. And plan trash can placement in advance...

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
We have sliding lower cabinets, and specifically, in the corners, there are sliders that pull the drawer out, then a second set that pull from the corner, perpendicular to the first. Allows for full use of the corner space without a lazy Susan.

If you feel like adding plumbing, a hinged spigot over your cook surface. This allows you to easily fill large pots with water without having to carry them across. I don't have this, but I like it. pics: https://goo.gl/DYnIee

If you have access to natural gas/propane then that's great for a cooktop. If you must have an electric cook surface, I recommend an induction cooktop. I replaced our old electric with induction last winter and I love it. Much much more responsive temperature changes, easier to cook without burning, much finer temperature control and much less waste heat making the kitchen hotter. I ended up with a higher end Samsung model http://goo.gl/vMbshX Note, I did not pay 3600 like that says. we got it new for 2700 I think. Induction is pricier in general though, they bottom out around $1000 I think.

Seconding to plan out trash/recycling locations ahead of time.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

stupid puma posted:

Along the same lines, what brand appliances should we go with? We're looking for a separate gas range and oven and probably want to go with the quietest dish washer on the market as our one right now is a loud nightmare. I don't want to go cheap but probably not 10k total for everything either. A bundle deal with a range, oven, dish washer, microwave, and refrigerator might be what we're looking for. Any recommendations?

Dishwasher, I can't recommend Bosch enough. I have an older of their mid-low end 500 series and it is fantastic, with two caveats that some people may consider dealbreakers. It doesn't have a garbage disposal, so if there are any very large chunks of something non-dissolvable, you'll have to empty the strainer after the cycle. Two, it doesn't have a heated dry-- it gets the water to ~160 then uses residual heat in the dishes and steel tub to air dry. If I do a load of almost entirely plastic, not enough heat is retained so some of the dishes come out a little wet and I have to wipe them off. That being said, every dish I put in, even if I'm not careful about positioning comes out clean, and I never pre-wash. Just a quick scrape into the trash.

Fridge, I have the older version of the whirlpool that sweethome likes: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-refrigerator/. It's quiet, large, and I've had no problems. That fridge and dishwasher are probably ~2k together.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My experience with my Bosch dishwasher is the same, word for word. I also have a whirlpool fridge but am less happy with it. The ice maker is poo poo and it doesn't regulate temperature. Attempts to repair it have failed.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm quite happy with my Samsung fridge. It's a 4 door with a "FlexZone" drawer. I store meats in the drawer, and keep it set to 29f, which doubles the safe storage time compared to a 37f fridge compartment (and sous vide pasteurized chicken breasts will keep for 90+ days!).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Oof. I just bought a house. Then I got to spend $150 at Lowes for new light fixtures and $30 at TJ Maxx for a shower curtain (and liner and "pretty" shower curtain hooks). It's awesome but gently caress... :shepspends:

On the plus side, I also got to spend $100 on a bunch of Kreg stuff to build built-in bookcases. :homebrew:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Something to consider about refrigerators. I had a Samsung or LG, I've forgotten which now, at the time it was highly favored. Anyway, the warranty was 12 months. At 13 months it stopped working. There were only 2 authorized repairmen in the state of North Carolina so we had to wait almost 2 weeks for one to show up and he was an incompetent buffoon. Another 2 weeks for the other guy to come and he was highly competent but nothing could be done. Turns out the fridge had almost no replaceable parts so it's replace the entire thing or nothing. The company didn't want to replace it and we had to fight for a couple weeks before they finally gave us a full refund. The repairman told me that no brand is better than any other but that Whirlpool has parts that can be replaced. Well, that's true but we haven't had a working ice maker in 2 years and no one can seem to figure out why. They've replaced everything practically and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't regulate temperature so in the summer I have to turn the setting down, in the winter I have to turn it up or everything will freeze solid. I loving hate modern refrigerators.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I never like in-door ice maker/dispensers. They've always been broken or full of algae. We have an internal ice maker. Fill it up once a week and the ice cubes fall down into an ice drawer.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

emocrat posted:

Much much more responsive temperature changes, easier to cook without burning, much finer temperature control and much less waste heat making the kitchen hotter. I ended up with a higher end Samsung model

I wish we had sprung for induction, but I don't remember there being anything near the $1000 range when we bought our glass topped Samsung 4 or 5 years ago.

It works well, and certainly better than the electric ring cooktop I grew up with, but eh.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Magnus Praeda posted:

On the plus side, I also got to spend $100 on a bunch of Kreg stuff to build built-in bookcases. :homebrew:

Kreg stuff is money well spent. When I got my pocket hole jig it was "Pocket Holes for EVERYTHING :homebrew:!!!"

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

angryrobots posted:

I wish we had sprung for induction, but I don't remember there being anything near the $1000 range when we bought our glass topped Samsung 4 or 5 years ago.

It works well, and certainly better than the electric ring cooktop I grew up with, but eh.

Doing a quick search, yeah I was lowballing it a bit. There are handful to be had at around 1400/1500 before any discounts though. I guess depending on what you are used to it may or may not be a huge difference. I had cooked on a gas stove for years, then when we moved to our current place that had a standard electric I just, man I hated it. It was just super frustrating, but the induction has pretty much fixed that for me.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Anyone have recommendations on water softeners and/or water heaters? I had a new softener on my list for next year, but our water heater is starting to have issues, and I'd really like to just take care of both at once. Any particular brands that stand out to anyone?

I've got an Aqua Systems place by the house, and it seemed like a really nice product, but is $1700 installed for a water softener kind of steep?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

peanut posted:

I never like in-door ice maker/dispensers. They've always been broken or full of algae. We have an internal ice maker. Fill it up once a week and the ice cubes fall down into an ice drawer.

What is the difference between internal and a regular ice maker? Mine makes ice cubes (if it worked) and drops them into an ice drawer, that's the part that is broken. No water gets to the ice maker, probably freezing on the way there. The door mechanism works fine.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The fridge has no water connection. You have to fill this thingy manually. Sorry for the grungy pic, this is the spare fridge at my in-laws' place.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

emocrat posted:

If you have access to natural gas/propane then that's great for a cooktop. If you must have an electric cook surface, I recommend an induction cooktop. I replaced our old electric with induction last winter and I love it. Much much more responsive temperature changes, easier to cook without burning, much finer temperature control and much less waste heat making the kitchen hotter. I ended up with a higher end Samsung model http://goo.gl/vMbshX Note, I did not pay 3600 like that says. we got it new for 2700 I think. Induction is pricier in general though, they bottom out around $1000 I think.

Seconding to plan out trash/recycling locations ahead of time.

Induction is awesome, but be aware not all pots and pans will work with it. Pretty sure that they will work if a magnet will stick to them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

IH is cool and good.

Wires! Cables! Conducts! Bundles!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

wormil posted:

My experience with my Bosch dishwasher is the same, word for word. I also have a whirlpool fridge but am less happy with it. The ice maker is poo poo and it doesn't regulate temperature. Attempts to repair it have failed.
My folks have had two Bosch 800's (2 houses, no issues with either!) and its what I'm going to go with too. Great units.

I'd suggest no door cabinets except the corner cabinet and all drawers. Its what my rentals kitchen and my folks new kitchen has and its fantastic. They bought a high end lazy Susan that entirely comes out of the cabinet and I can't say enough good things about it.

I apparently don't have the brand name on my phone so I'll ask them tomorrow. Its well worth the cost.

E: here we go. Diff brand same thing. http://mobile.kitchensource.com/lazy-susan/ha-541.32.445.htm

angryrobots posted:

They're still a substantial amount higher than a grand.

wormil posted:

Something to consider about refrigerators. I had a Samsung or LG, I've forgotten which now, at the time it was highly favored. Anyway, the warranty was 12 months. At 13 months it stopped working. There were only 2 authorized repairmen in the state of North Carolina so we had to wait almost 2 weeks for one to show up and he was an incompetent buffoon. Another 2 weeks for the other guy to come and he was highly competent but nothing could be done. Turns out the fridge had almost no replaceable parts so it's replace the entire thing or nothing. The company didn't want to replace it and we had to fight for a couple weeks before they finally gave us a full refund. The repairman told me that no brand is better than any other but that Whirlpool has parts that can be replaced. Well, that's true but we haven't had a working ice maker in 2 years and no one can seem to figure out why. They've replaced everything practically and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't regulate temperature so in the summer I have to turn the setting down, in the winter I have to turn it up or everything will freeze solid. I loving hate modern refrigerators.
You're making my dads argument for German brand more logical now. Plus Liebherr's look fantastic. And cost toooo much.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 18, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Windows. Tyvek anti-moisture wrap.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Replaced the dishwasher today and need a place to bitch.

The new unit fits in the old hole; just.
Unfortunately, the back legs rest on the slab obviously but the front legs are so far forward that they are on the tile.
This wouldn't be a problem except that if you extend the back legs the height of the tie; the unit won't fit in the hole anymore.
So it's not precisely level.

At least our old semi-integrated dishwasher had a gear on the front to raise or lower the back foot, but no such luck on the replacement (freestanding) dishwasher.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Siding!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Siding almost finished (*≧∀≦*)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wallpaper. Wallpaper? Talk to me about wallpaper. Wallpapers.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

peanut posted:

Wallpaper. Wallpaper? Talk to me about wallpaper. Wallpapers.

Don't do it. EVER.

It's a bitch to take off and I don't think anyone ever has said, "That's some nice wallpaper" that isn't ancient or completely tasteless. Maybe there's some new fancy glue out there that's easier to take off, but wallpaper... :barf:

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I feel like a wallpaper accent wall can look cool but on the other hand I'd rather just stencil the design in with paint and be able to paint over it when my wife inevitably changes her mind.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

stupid puma posted:

I feel like a wallpaper accent wall can look cool but on the other hand I'd rather just stencil the design in with paint and be able to paint over it when my wife inevitably changes her mind.

My wife was talking about wanting to do this in the house we're buying and that's the same argument I'm making. Must hold the line against wallpaper, not one scrap shall cross the threshold.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have seen nice wallpaper but removing it sucks so hard. If I ever buy another house, removing any and all wallpaper will be a condition of sale.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Geez I wasn't planning to hang it myself, you nerds. Wallpaper is the standard here for normal people houses that aren't doing old school mud or lime plaster. $10/sq meter for the good stuff. There are some excellent patterns, and some barftastic one.

The alternative is painting the interior myself... with a 1 year old to hold the ladder.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

peanut posted:

The alternative is painting the interior myself... with a 1 year old to hold the ladder.

Sounds like you dont enjoy a little adventure

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Babby needs to focus on decorative tile.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

stupid puma posted:

Anaglypta and Lincrusta have some cool patterns and are somewhat crossing the line between decorative moulding and wallpaper. As with all wall coverings, I suspect that they're a pain in the rear end to take off.
http://www.lincrusta.com/
http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You do not know the true shittiness of wallpaper until you tear it. Good luck matching that slightly faded pattern!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please tell me about the worst (and best?) wallpapers yall have ever seen and/or lived with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut posted:

Geez I wasn't planning to hang it myself, you nerds. Wallpaper is the standard here for normal people houses that aren't doing old school mud or lime plaster. $10/sq meter for the good stuff. There are some excellent patterns, and some barftastic one.

I've noticed this before, I think it's an american thing. Wallpapers are the norm in scandinavia.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wallpapers are the norm in scandinavia.

Are ladders hard to come by there?

Wallpaper was a thing decades ago. It's seriously a bitch to remove. If we encounter it in a project we usually tell the contractor to not even bother taking it off and to just put up 1/2" drywall over it because the labor cost is just too high to get a clean paintable surface. We've generally ditched wallpaper but "popcorn" textured ceilings have endured which is the only thing I hate more than wallpaper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Indoor carpeting was a thing that was decades ago here but is still a thing in the US...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

His Divine Shadow posted:

Indoor carpeting was a thing that was decades ago here but is still a thing in the US...

Sort of. It's more a budget thing. Cheap builder homes will generally have them because it requires less finish work. Many also don't like to put their feet on cold flooring if they don't have a heated slab.

I prefer wood flooring myself. The wearing of the finish doesn't make me feel gross like old carpet.