Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hi if this is not the right thread for my question could someone point me in the right direction?

Wife and I are closing on a house on Friday and it looks like (as far as we know :ohdear: ) it should all go smoothly. The sellers have been very cool and we have all our finances and paperwork in order.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on generators. The house is currently wired for a generator plugin in the garage for a 30A cable. This powers the entire 1st floor, the well pump, heater blower motor and the septic stuff. The house was built in 2004 by the sellers. They had a 7500w generator and would simply wheel it out a few feet away from the house outside the garage and run it as needed.

I've never bought a generator before and don't know how best to evaluate them. We don't need it to be a seamless power replacement type, so I'm happy to get one and store it in the garage and wheel it out after the power goes down during a blizzard or something. From the little reading I've done, I like the idea of this being dual fuel ie, propane and gasoline ~7500w setup. The house is oil and fireplace heated and otherwise electric, no gas lines out in our area.

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

https://www.amazon.com/d/RV-Portabl...+fuel+generator

That's got a knock off of a Honda motor in it. Some goon who I won't out here works for them in an engineering capacity.

I have a gas only one and it works great.

I would not choose this for an off the grid/construction site. But for an occasional power outage it's fine. Last time I had to use it I was out of power for 3 days, and it was shut down when we went to sleep and for refueling......and that one time when I hit the hours for an oil change (yes, you should do this if you want your stuff to last). Still running great.

Oh cool, that is the one I had already kinda bookmarked as a potential grab.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fallom posted:

What should I look up if I want someone to tell me whether or not it’s ok to bust out a wall or column in my house? “Structural engineer” just gets me foundation repair companies.

Someone in GiP can get ahold of Grover.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not sure if correct thread but does anyone have input / suggestions on a lawnmower / weed eater?

Shaded yard in New England only about 1/4 - 1/3 acre that will be mowed (rest is woods).

The existing lawn in our new house is great and I want to keep it up. Given the above we don't need something exactly heavy duty or self propelled. Just wondering if whatever cheap and working on Craigslist is enough or if people have strong feelings on specific brands etc to choose / avoid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks all. I like the idea of an electric trimmer at the least, I've always hated fiddling with the gas powered ones and having to keep a different stock of fuel on hand as well. Any particular advice on those? I am buying some DeWalt 20v stuff for the shop eventually, so could go with one that uses the same battery packs, but I haven't committed to that yet so still looking at options.

Pros / cons on an electric lawnmower? Buying one new seems pretty pricey and I'm not sure how they will hold up 4-5 yrs down the line vs a bog standard middling quality gas mower. Again, my yard is fairly small and with our shade / weather, it's not gonna need to get cut more than probably 10-20 times per year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

If you’re mowing a small, flat lawn, have you considered a good quality push mower? Our lawn is smaller than yours (a bit under 1/10th of an acre), but it’s quick to use. No fuel reserve to keep, very little noise, no startup hassles- it basically gets rid of all the reasons why I can’t just go do the lawn right now.

I’m not sure how practical it would be for a larger lawn, but it’s genuinely more pleasant to deal with than a gas mower if you oil and sharpen it each season.

I had actually been thinking of that also and I do think that the lawn is about the right size / maintenance level that a reel mower wouldn't be a detriment.

Looking at new decent ones though the prices were a good bit more than a used decent gas mower on craigslist so I hadn't really thought much on them since. Maybe I should reconsider.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone have any experience with / recommendations on fireplace inserts?

Our house was built in 2004, we moved in a few months ago and have been using the fireplace a good bit. Just this week we noticed some of the ceramic tileplate on the bottom of the place is cracking / flaking away. We're not going to use it again out of safety concerns and were considering upgrading it with an insert.

We live in New England, it's an oil heated home. I'd like to get a bit more efficiency out of the fireplace but we won't be relying on it to heat the home for a bulk of the winter. I also would prefer to keep it just a wood burning insert, not pellets, no gas. I was thinking a big iron / steel insert with a door that would give a bit more radiant heat into the room, possibly even something that extended out a bit that could be used to heat a pan on etc. Not necessarily a full-on stove but something with more utility would be nice in case of a long term power outage.

Does anyone have experience with these or can at least recommend things to steer clear of? Also, what would a good ballpark cost for insert + installation likely run? I am aware this could be a wide range but just looking for somewhere to start from for budgeting purposes.

This is the current layout. I'm open to changing the tile / hearth somewhat, I'd prefer to not have to mess with the flooring.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I want to get some under cabinet LED lights for my rental because there is absoutly no over head task lighting and its pretty anoying. I was looking at this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Albrillo-Cabinet-Lighting-Dimmable-Counter/dp/B06Y46JKL6/

Any other opinions or thoughts? Maybe someone else has used one that they like and is easy to install?

I used the same brand for the kitchen in our new house. Only difference is I used the "warmer" 3000k version instead of the bright white 5-6000k one you linked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARQY31S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a pic I just took. This is the ones setup in our kitchen with no other lights on. It's 8:30am and overcast grey outside so it's pretty dim in the kitchen otherwise.

I quite like ours and we just leave them on constantly as sort of the only light downstairs that stays on. Installation of the LEDs themselves was quite easy, the cable hangers that come with the kit did not stick or adhere the cable well, but there are dozens of ways to solve that problem.

I'd recommend them for sure. They helped the kitchen a lot. The little bulb under the microwave was the only thing illuminating the stovetop initially and it was just awful really.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Good to know. I always heard you wanted more white light for food but I think it would stand out s whole lot. I’ll have to think about that.

We had some 5000k white lights in our previous kitchen and neither my spouse or I liked the way it made the room feel. Honestly most of the house is in 3000k LED now and it fits a lot better with everything (to us). This is probably just a personal preference thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

I mostly use 2700 or 3000 except in my basement shop and the garage where 4100 is good for me.

This is exactly how we have ours setup. Just ran a bunch of overhead 4000k LED in the basement wood shop.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Bought a $30 LED light kit and installed it above the workbench, it’s actually usable now.

Next step is to revamp the garage lighting with LEDs and add another light above the workbench area.

Nice touches on the cabinet doors there

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have a new (to me) home and I don't know what I am doing with my lawn. Last time I owned a place with a lawn was in the southern tip of Louisiana so it was basically just mow constantly and everything grows like bananas and no need to ever water anything.

New place is in Rhode Island. The lawn seems like it was well kept up before but I have a couple of concerning spots and I'm not sure what the best way to treat them are. Any tips? I've mowed the lawn just once 2 weeks prior to these photos at the highest setting on the mower, mostly to just shred the remaining leaves. Leaf and grass clippings were just mulched back into the ground and not bagged. I intend to continue doing that unless convinced otherwise.

Anyway, 1st photo has the worrisome bare spots, 2nd photo represents the rest of the lawn and nice grass cover otherwise. Any advice on how to get those more bare spots looking like the 2nd photo? They get a bit more sun on the 1st side, both photos encompass much of the septic leach field, so there's not a bias there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hubis posted:

What happens when you get rain -- does it pool at all? Looking at the pictures my first guess is that line of bare spots is along a small local depression that holds water a little bit longer than others, which drowns the grass and then leads to compaction. If that's the case then buy a few bags of good quality top-soil and Paver Sand (NOT "Play Sand" -- you want the coarse stuff), mix them 50/50, and rake that over the area to level. Then seed, cover with a little peat moss, water religiously (but LIGHTLY) and let it fill in.

Other guesses: Were there any trees in the area? Could be subterranian roots.

What happens if you try to stick a slot-head screwdriver in the bare spots? Is it harder than the surrounding areas? That would also indicate compaction.

More concerning: Fungus. Did that area look healthy when you moved in? What happened? Do you see other patches of grass that are yellowing/look unhealthy? You can treat this with a couple spring fungicide treatments and then patch it up in the fall.

If you have Bluegrass (which you might in RI, not sure) then you can shove nitrogen down it's throat in the fall -- Bluegrass is Rhizomatic and will respond by sending out roots and spreading aggressively. It doesn't like heat so doing this now can lead to it getting stressed out going into summer (or getting a fungus problem due to excess N) but fall is the perfect time. In this case you want to aim for about 1 lb of N / 1k sqft every month once the soil temps dip below 75'F or so down to about 50'F.

- 1 lb/1k SqFt means 5 lbs of 20-0-0 (for example)
- You probably want to break up the application so more like 0.5 Lb/K every 2 weeks
- Make sure the grass is getting enough water (0.75-1.5in/wk) if you try and push N into it
- a fall Fungicide application probably isn't a bad idea if you are feeding and irrigating, although it's less important as the grass will be going into its dominant season instead of its stressful one
- Likewise a fall pre-emergent application would be good since you have these bare spots. If you are seeding then you don't want to do this (unless you use something like the Scott's Starter with the grass-safe pre-emergent in it)

This didn't cause those bare patches,, but my personal preference is to mulch the grass and bag when there's a lot of leaves on the ground (and either compost or apply as mulch in my beds). The leaves break down surprisingly slowly and they don't get chopped up nearly as finely as grass does so if they are mulched into the lawn in large numbers then they can suffocate the turf underneath. If you have dense grass then this is less of a problem as the grass itself will inhibit the leaves matting together; however, if you have thin/bare areas like this then I would avoid mulching leaves in large numbers as they will collect in those bare spots very easily. I definitely wouldn't do it if I have new seed on the ground.

This., but like I've personally recommended elsewhere I'd make sure you're scratching up the bare spots really well with a gravel rake or tiller as well as the core aeration -- the cores aren't really that useful for seeding in and of themselves.

I'd also throw in a humic acid treatment to restore carbon to the soil. Anything that has HA in it is good -- Jonathan Greene makes one, there's lots of others on Amazon as well. HA can also help with compaction.

Thanks! I'll go check for compaction but it's definitely not a low spot for water pooling up. Some small pine trees and a red maple at front and center of the lawn, problem area photo is on one side, good area equal distance on the other side so im not strongly suspecting tree involvement yet. The problem side gets a bit more sun due to tree placement and orientation of the property.

Will get soil tested as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hubis posted:

Awesome advice.

I checked the areas and the ground gave way equally on the good turf vs the dead spots, but... The deader spots definitely feel like soft clay and less like topsoil. Should I just dig them up and turnover at end of summer and seed it then?

Will also get soil tested in the meantime but that seemed different.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any advice / guidance on repairing drywall tape?

In the corner of our bathroom sitting over the shower the tape between the ceiling / top of the wall has started to separate away. Just an 18" or so length of it has opened up 1/4" or so but the inspector said it would only get worse and need to be repaired eventually.

We had a contractor set up to take care of it along with some more minor maintenance things but he rescheduled about 4 times then told us he could no longer work on the house as he had another big job come up out of state. Rather than do the song and dance again at this point I'd rather just do it myself unless this is a job best left to the pros. I have some woodworking experience and a fair bit of tools, but nothing drywall specific. I've watched a few videos on it so far and it all seems pretty easy to do but am curious if this is a job that might just best be left to someone more professional? We have a 2nd bathroom and are comfortable using that in the interim, so I can take my time with it if need be.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Really the answer to "what do I do if I have an empty room I don't have a use for" is "move somewhere smaller" or "get a lodger".

"start building model trains"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's mostly just one person whose approach to furniture is "if you didn't get the most expensive version of x peice of furniture then you aren't committed to living well / have fun in your white trash dorm room lol".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any guidance on spraying vs rollers for interior wall painting?

We are going to eventually paint probably ~2/3 of the interior walls in the house in the upcoming year or so. I have a ~4ga Hitachi air compressor for the wood shop and while looking at July 4th sales etc saw sprayers and paint and the like on sale. That got me thinking about whether I should consider buying a sprayer and painting the interior walls with that instead? I would also likely use the sprayer outdoors or in a cabinet to put down finish on woodshop projects etc sometimes, so this wouldn't be a total one off expense if I went that way.

So, is it worth doing, or just a waste of time / effort / expense vs painting with rollers? Given that I already have the compressor etc I was curious if I should take advantage.

If it is worthwhile, any guidance on a cheap / mid-range sprayer to consider for interior paint applications?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks all, seems like not a good way to go after all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kimcicle posted:

Slowly fixing things up around the house after one and a half years of ownership and I'm not really sure what to do about this door splitting. During the winter months it's fine, but when it warms up the lockset starts to undo itself out of the door and causes it to be super hard to open because the screws are catching against the strike / frame. I'm inclined to take the lock set out, shoot a whole lot of wood glue in here, and clamp it shut for X number of hours but I'm wondering if there's another course of action short of replacing the whole door.

Door + lockset is probably a good 40 years old at this point so it might be worth replacing anyways.

I feel like that's just gonna need to be replaced man

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:chloe:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've found that quite a few Europeans don't realize what a variation in temperatures the US gets even in the same region over a year. In my area (northeast) the summers can be up in the 90s F (30s C) and the winters can get down to below 0f (-17 C) and that's not counting the highs and lows I've seen in my area. There have been over 100F (38C) for highs and I've seen -20F (-29C) for lows. That doesn't even begin to account for humidity. Summers in the northeast are humid.

Yep. I bought this house in Nov of last year and we've already been down to around -8F and up to 101F since we've moved in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How dumb would it be to do this with my double door driveway gate? I figure I could put the actual center of the gate (and the latch) where the red line is, and then extend the planks various lengths into the other gate. It would mean that you'd need to open and close them in a specific order, but other than that, would it be a terribly bad idea?

In the interest in sharing, here's my mid-process driveway gate beams. 6x6, each about 4' deep with a load of gravel underneath. Please do not tell me there's anything wrong with what I've done because they are now encased in 1,000 lbs of concrete each and there is absolutely no way either of them is moving a hair's breadth.

You've put them in upside down

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have pegboard above my workbench because I don't want to slam my head into shelving if I am bent over the bench planing something etc so it works nicely there for me to reach up and grab a screwdriver, hammer or square or something.

Shelving is a better setup otherwise but over benches pegboard seems good. For me setting up a newer shop and being a beginner my shop layout might change a ton in a few years (or not at all) so pegboard at least gives me a lot of flexibility.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

4x8 sheet of white pegboard at HD is like $20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hubis posted:

Those are sheet metal pegboard

ohh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

My house has a bell!

the "Control panel" under it

(I haven't dared flip the switch there yet)

The KeY oPeRaTeD acrtivation

Brand

It's either an ancient burglar alarm or ancient fire alarm, I have no idea which and I have no idea if any of it is still live or active. Wanna flip that on switch though and see what happens.

It's all fun and games until you can't turn it off and it's wired outside of the house panel somehow...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I would not attempt a first time DIY solar project unless you have some meaningful experience with electrical work and you're not planning on connecting it with the grid. If it's a small project for something like a standalone shed with some light bulbs+sockets then that's a bit more manageable, but the consequences for screwing up a full house project w/inverter and some sort of net metering setup are high, potentially much higher than the relatively cheap (and getting cheaper) cost of hiring a professional. One thing to remember for those who haven't priced these out before- if you're in the US the state + federal incentives can frequently cover the majority of the cost of installing the system.

-guy who has a 4kw system on his roof that was ~85% subsidized

Just FYI some of the federal tax credits are winding down. Your state may vary.

quote:

The federal ITC was originally established by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and was set to expire at the end of 2007. A series of extensions pushed the expiration date back to the end of 2016, but experts believed that an additional five-year extension would bring the solar industry to its full maturity. Thanks to the spending bill that Congress passed in late December 2015, the tax credit is now available to homeowners in some form through 2021. Here are the specifics:

2016 – 2019: The tax credit remains at 30 percent of the cost of the system. This means that in 2017, you can still get a major discounted price for your solar panel system.
2020: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 26 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
2021: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 22 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
2022 onwards: Owners of new commercial solar energy systems can deduct 10 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes. There is no federal credit for residential solar energy systems.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ceiling fan is nice to break a chill in the room just after you run the heat for a bit as well. We use ours as much for this as we do in the summer AC-optional nights.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm looking for some opinions on if I should attempt a DIY job or of this is something that's far more difficult / complicated than it seems it might be.

Our house was built in 2004, we bought it in Nov 2018. Over the last winter we noticed that the fireplace insert bricks started to crack and separate and we immediately stopped using the fireplace. We wanted to put in a different insert, one that would allow us to at least have a partial cooktop so we could use it to at least boil water etc if the power goes out (we live a few miles from the Rhode Island coast, so get some big winter storms now and then). Because we are a bit rural, there are no gas lines to the house so its an electric stove and oil heat. I didn't want to run a generator simply to boil water.

Long story short we are getting a wooden stove. However, none of the inserts we found had a decent cook surface and none of the wooden stoves had a low enough height to match up well with where the pipe to the chimney goes. This left us with 2 options:

1. Reduct the entire chimney and rip out the mantle etc and put in the exhaust tube above the current fireplace location.
2. Place a hearth pad on the corner (to the right) of the existing fireplace and put in a separate exhaust tube through the wall there and on its own chimney outside.

We decided on option 2. The new chimney tube would sit in front of the chimney on the R side of the house in the 2nd photo. This area is mostly obscured by trees and has few lines of sight from the front yard so doesn't really do a lot to diminish the look of the house. The labor costs for this installation estimate were also considerably lower than option 1.

We're getting a stove similar to this one but not on a raised hearth pad, just one on the floor:

The potential DIY part comes in with what to do with the old fireplace space. We're likely not going to re-do hardwood floors over the tile panel on the floor, so that's going to almost certainly stay. The fireplace insert, wall tiles and mantle will all go. So that all needs to be removed. Next we'd want to drywall in some kind of cutout into the wall and then paint it up to match. Possibly could use trim etc or something around the cutout into the wall and then tile the floor of the cutout to match the tile going into the hardwood. The cutout would likely be used to store food and water bowls for the dog since it'll be taking up less floorspace and also now be on a more water-friendly surface than the mat we have it on over the hardwood.

I know we need to seal the existing chimney tube off, and also get it sealed up on the roof. I'd pay someone to seal at least the roof one off. Would removing the insert etc and demoing the rest of the surrounding wall, tiles etc be a much more difficult job than I think it is?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Were Hearthstone stoves too tall? I know they have both top and rear exhaust exit options, and some of the smaller stoves might fit into the current fireplace.
http://hearthstonestoves.com/wood-products/4594643898

No vendors / installers near us. The stove we went with had top or rear exhaust also bit we're about 2" too high for every model if on a hearth pad. We already bought the stove and scheduled the install though so I'd like to focus on the diy demo / removal part if I can.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My house is 2000 sq ft. My post above kinda got lost in the back and forth on a sq ft / guillotine ratio.

What kinda difficulty would I getting into if I wanted to DIY removing the fireplace insert, taking the fireplace out of service and drywalling over the wall parts leaving an inset into the wall and tiling the floor of the inset out to the current tile on the hardwood there?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Your fireplace is not an insert.

You would have to demo all the tile/stone out from around it and, depending on how you want to build shelves/cubbies, demo the fire brick and parts of the chimney.

The bricks in it are just some sort of masonry plates that only look like bricks and they sit above a metal grille etc that you can see into space underneath it etc. All of the plates / brick seem to be entirely placed within the surrounding metal enclosure on all sides. Would that still not be considered an insert? When I brought photos to the fireplace store in town they identified it as some model of "zero clearance insert" so that's why I had been calling it that.

We would definitely be ripping out the hearth, tiles (except possibly the ones on the floor) with what we envison currently unless there's a good reason not to do so. Would prefer to make a cubby there so we could make use of the tiled floor portion and put things like a dog food and water setup etc that would be more out of the way.

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're all kinda fiddly tasks so you can expect it to take much longer than a bevy of pros with experience, and/or it might not wind up with a perfect finish, but you're not going to collapse the chimney or anything.

The only note I'd give is that it's apparently necessary to provide venting from the chimney into the room via any closed up fireplaces to prevent that section of the chimney developing mould issues.

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

IF they ID'd it as an insert than go with that. From your pic it looks like a regular built fireplace with a screen door pasted on the outside (very common). That should make things significantly easier on you.

A cubby on the floor where the fireplace used to be? Might look a bit odd, but yeah.....should be pretty easy. The worst thing you have to deal with here is the chimney, which is probably nothing more than galvanized double or triple wall pipe in an OSB box.

Thanks!

So for the chimney, it seems to be just a pipe like you said enclosed in a box covered in siding on the house. I didn't plan on removing the chimney and if possible just sealing up the pipe on both ends and as Jaded suggested make sure the box itself still gets some kind of venting. Would that work or would the entire pipe etc going up the side of the house all need to be removed? If that was the case it's a much bigger job than I think I want to consider as DIY at all.

As far as the cubby goes I think if we have the same tile on the floor going into the recessed cubby as well and then make the drywall and repainting etc all match it's basically just a dugout with some stuff in it. If it looks too poo poo I can just build in a low bookcase or storage cabinet with a bench top to sit on along that wall or something instead and just trim that up with the same baseboard moulding etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm sure there are Reasons that aren't clear to me, but it seems way easier/cheaper to run whatever chimney pipe you need for the wood stove up the existing chimney? Put the wood stove on the current stone hearth (replace/expand it if needed since the stove will stick out in the room) and then remove/replace the existing mantel with whatever stone/tile you need to have around the woodstove.

Yeah in my longer original post I mentioned it a bit. Basically none of the free-standing stoves or inserts that extended out that had a cooktop on them were short enough to fit under the current chimney pipe. To install it in the same location we would need to cut open the chimney from the outside and cut upwards from the insert area on the inside and basically repipe the entire chimney just to move the exhaust pipe starting point upward a few inches. Instead, it was far far cheaper to reroute a freestanding exhaust pipe adjacent to the current chimney location. Also long-term for the room we strongly preferred the corner installation of the wood stove as well.

It's not that it's impossible, just definitely a lot more labor to reinstall in the same location as the original. The good thing is I have lots of time to consider all the great advice and cautions the thread has given. I have a contractor (FINALLY) coming out tomorrow to do some other smaller stuff around the house and if they seem good I will chat with them about the fireplace stuff to see if they have an opinion on it / may consider an estimate for the future.

A tremendous problem here for us has simply been getting any contractor to even show up to work on the house. Plumber, electrician etc has been fine, but I'm on my 6th or 7th contractor now since February. If the guy shows up tomorrow it will be the 1st person who's actually shown up without cancelling at the last minute or just set up an appointment and then no-showed and not returned calls, texts etc. Each time through this process has eaten up a couple weeks of waiting so we literally lost the entire summer for work we wanted done over that. So, a lot of my considering more ambitious DIY stuff like this is due to that. I started setting up contractor appts in Dec 2018.

The wood stove install is being carried out by a local shop that just does fireplaces and heating. When they install in Mid-October I'll also try to chat them up about thoughts on the old fireplace issue also. Good thing is we can just leave it in place and cover it with a screen or bookshelf or something until we decide.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not sure if best thread for this but any good dishwasher recommendations for $700 or less? Under counter standard size. Just wife and I so super high volume / max noise reduction is less important than outright reliability.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Bosch with the third rack. I think ours was right about $700.

Sweet. Any places to catch them on a particular sale? Black Friday etc? We can baby along the current unit for a while. It's a 14 yr old Kenmore 665 and it's either the panel or the board gone bad, $140 just for the parts. Given its age I doubt it's worth spending that much on it. It works but only one cycle type and no wash delay function now etc. Seems a common failure state.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Around us I would check Pacific Sales, but basically look at everyone who sells them and price track them. It seems they're up to around $900 MSRP right now but I know they knocked off money just for saying I wanted one. Seems the fancier models now have a leak detection system. I regret getting front controls and wish I had gotten "top" controls. I only use "auto" and "sanitize" (lots of raw-chicken jous, baby bottles). I strongly suggest using rinse aid (cuts 30 minutes off the cycle time) and brand name pods (I use cascade platinum, the mid-range ones work fine but the platinum ones really knock the grease off the baby bottles.)

I would not suggest screwing around with any other cycle. Half-load can shave 30 minutes and *1* gallon of water off of the 5-6 gallon load, but sometimes I swear it leaves a little soap on there because it's still the same amount of input detergent.

Thanks! Do you prefer the top controls because of little kids or a different reason? We don't have kids so if that was the only reason the front control models seem a tiny but cheaper vs top.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Buy an expensive German appliance filled with plastic parts they said, it will have superior German adhesives they said,

It's a little hard to see but the plastic little teeth/clip things on the left of the picture are chewed/ground down significantly compared to the other side. Tried just re-seating it and running it on rinse, fell off again. Not sure if my toddler closing the door on the open basket caused it to fail the rest of the way or if it was already in the bottom of the basket before, either way it's toast. $31 shipped from some random parts website for the whole assembly to the back of the basin.

You guys aren't making a great case for a Bosch dishwasher...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

The stupid fucks who used to own our house didn't insulate the cold water pipes to the bathroom. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the reason for gradual water accumulation in our ceiling. Now I've gotta fix the ceiling and rip out the bathroom floor to insulate the pipes. loving hell.

I have to run a dehumidifier on specially bad days (~20 days this year) to keep the water pipes in the basement ceiling and around the water softener etc from sweating like crazy. But, that alone is sufficient, and it also helps with the comfort of the house on those days (typically when its >80F and 80% humidity).