Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How bad would you expect your property value to be hit by two sex offenders moving in next door?

I've had two brief visits earlier this year with local detectives asking me if I had children and after I responded no they informed me that an offender was potentially moving to the area. Well this morning I got confirmation in a way that there are two of them moving into one of the empty houses next door (investors like leaving houses empty I guess). I'm not really looking to sell but if the right job came along I would have to eat that loss, plus after looking them up it gets worse. I've put a lot of work into this place and now it feels like its being undone and there's really nothing I can do about this it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

H110Hawk posted:

The sex offender registry is something to be taken with a whole heaping spoonful of grains of salt. I say this as someone with 2 small children. I believe there are a few within walking distance of my house but I'm unconcerned in general. It's not going to impact your house unless the person is literally within visual sight of your door and it was recent and it was violent and it was someone unknown to the person and it was the correct gender and age of your children. It is a very narrow list of people you are eliminating from your pool of potential home buyers, outside of the usual pearl clutchers who will find any ignorant reason to not buy a house.

I understand that there are things that can get you on the list that aren't serious, 3x public urination puts you on the list in WI. But these guys both, are pedos, have re offended, have broken the terms of their releases before, and there is this gem about one of them: "the state had asserted NAME “suffers from a mental condition that predisposes him to engage in acts of sexual violence” and “that NAME is dangerous as his mental disorder makes it likely that he will engage in future acts of sexual violence.”

At least I have some distance from my neighbors but I would have bought the drat house next door if I would have known this would happen but I already am trying to buy the nicer one on the other side, that until recently I would have been able to sell for a fortune as a horse farm.

edit: I'm wishing I would have gone with the nicer Schlage locks when I did all the doors a little while ago now that I'm thinking about it.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 15, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The instore pickup for lumber gives you wildly different results each time, once every 2by was perfectly straight and virtually knot free and then there was the last time I did it. Unless its on sale there I'm better off driving the extra 7 minutes to menards where I can drive right up to the pile and sort through what the last guy thought was too warped.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any cheap stainless sheet on craigslist in your area? Or the cheap stick on might motivate you to accelerate your kitchen project a year or two.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had the HF electric pressure washer and hated it, for some reason I had to keep turning it off to purge the line again and it would work for about 20 seconds until it happened again. Never had that issue with the big gas one I was used to. This was over 5 years ago so what they have now is probably better but don't expect to get dried paint off of concrete with it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

daslog posted:

I'm trying to make a one-lane road through my 5 acres of property. What's and inexpensive material to use if I'm never going to pay it. I'd be spreading it out with my tractor. I'm thinking something like road base?

Are you referring to traffic bond? Throw down some bigger stone before putting down any TB. The soil will suck up anything too small, with my clay soil some spots will suck up anything you put down if you didn't use a large enough base stone. A good truck driver should be able to get a lot of the spreading done when they dump it and it should just require finishing work. Consider renting a skidloader too if you don't have access to one, the tractor takes (me at least) twice as long to spread it out nicely, the first time I redid my driveway I used the backblade on the tractor and by the second time I borrowed a skidloader.

There are decent electric pressure washers out there but I wouldn't waste my money on a HF one again. It sounds like that Ryobi mentioned earlier is one of the better ones and not killing your arm to pull start a big gas one sounds nice.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Looks like the composite stuff has come a long way, I remember it being very hot all the time. though even with cedar it can get pretty bad without some kind of shade some days.

Speaking of decks I'm looking at mine right now and have a horde of aggressive wasps buzzing around all day trying to find a nice winter home, makes going out the door a little more exciting when you're allergic. What can I do to discourage this?

I saw something about lemongrass and peppermint oil being natural repellents and I could put out soapy water traps, does anyone have any advice or tips? I know I need to take care of where the nests currently are but tearing down the retaining wall and scrapping the outdoor wood burner wont be happening until there is a good deep freeze.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How much slope does your yard have, can you bury part of the drain for the downspout? Can you check your local code to see how far above the ground vents need to be? I remember having to be at least so many inches above the potential snow depth for my furnace and water heater vents when I did them.

Drywall work sucks, you get better each time and the right tools and the nicer joint compound make it easier but I still don't like doing it. A decent sanding screen/pad and the better joint compound helped me the most, a face shield made overhead sanding less miserable too. I will be hiring it out when I gut the from 2/3 of my house though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, even upgrading our 90s forced air furnace to a new 95% efficient one will pay for itself over 10 years.

Its not apples to apples as I did houswwrap/insulated siding and windows at the same time but my new furnace paid for itself in one season and I still haven't finished insulating the attic. Best I could tell the old furnace was from 1966 and when new was 72% efficient, it was also easily 3x the size of the new one.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Deviant posted:

I knew it was gonna be more, but just in general everything was more than I expected (home ownership.txt)

I spent 20k more than I thought I would for windows and siding, I wanted to use that money to buy a skidloader.

For the snow clearing your width of the blower should be decided by the narrowest point you need to squeeze the bastard through. If you get that much snow a plow can be an issue, I've run out of places to put the snow near the end of the winter before and had to borrow a front end loader to get it further into the yard. If money is no object I'd get a nice skidloader, 75+hp and an enclosed cab, with a nice snowblower on the front. See above for the reason why I bought a 28" snowblower instead.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I was planning on installing an outlet just for one of those, what does code say about locating the outlet? I have a wire ran up to the junction box in the attic in case it need its own circuit.

When soffit and fascia is installed how tight should the gaps be? I have a significant amount of wasps and hornets flying in the gap between the soffit and the siding in several spots. I think I need to get the company who installed it to come back out and fix it.

For chipmunks I found having a stray cat living in one of my greenhouses took care of them digging up any seeds after I planted them. After they are evicted you need something they cant chew through to keep them from coming back, my grandma had an issue in her attic where they would chew through the wood trim every time it was repaired until some metal was put up there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They need to be 10-12” diameter at least for most anyone to have any interest in sawing them.

Is there a size/species guide where taking them in to get milled is worth it or does it come down to how well you know the guy with the sawmill? My elms and ash trees have been decimated and I have a few walnut trees that can come down too, all but a few really big ones are on the smaller side of that 10-12" and lumber would be nice.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I like the wavy funhouse deck you had, your new patio wont be as interesting.

You can use your recovered cinderblocks to make your project money back via catalytic converters and rims.

Vim Fuego posted:

I used to be a homeowner like you, then I took a screw to the knee

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NomNomNom posted:

falz posted:

Many of us who live in cold areas always wonder how tf deck laying on cinder blocks can even be legal.

Sincerely, frost heave.

Unless its the camera I see a nice wave in that deck, any further north and it would look like my neighbors deck where the kids could race hotwheels by letting them go.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

EricBauman posted:

... said it'd be best to put a slit either in the top or directly underneath, for air flow. That seems like another great idea that the previous guy didn't have.
Wait, was the radiator effectively just buried in the wall with no airflow from the room to it?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Xenoborg posted:

Are there any recommended home insurance companies? I doubt there are any good, just varying shades of bad.

Liberty, my current, is increasing our premiums 48% with no change in coverage and the only thing they will say about it is "inflation", so I'm going to shop around.

gently caress them! Those bastards cancelled me with two days of notice after I bought my house. Do you have any independent agents around you?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Swapping a regular water heater is less than a half hours work. For a plumber it has to be some of the easiest money they can make. Switching to tankless took me around a day total. The tankless needed a bigger gas pipe, 4"PVC inlet and outlet, adding the electric outlet, and building a unistrut stand because field stone foundation.

If I was a plumber with plenty of work I wouldn't want to install a tankless water heater either.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

hark posted:

My entire house is lath and plaster all around except for the addition they did some decades after it was built. I'd really like to get rid of it, but it's apparently a gigantic job and I'm very tired.

My dining room is the only room left with lath and plaster and someone put up paneling over it about 50 years ago. When I pulled back some of the paneling it was nothing but cracks and holes, not looking forward to finishing that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Fill the bottom of the shop vac with a few inches of water, mix in a little dish soap. Most of them fall in the soapy water and down immediately, works best on a full sized shop vac.