Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Starting to look at home builders and being a semi sensible adult decided to research the ones in the area I am looking to build in. It very much left me with a feeling that they all suck (page after page of BBB complaints about how the house was poorly built and no support), of course this is the Internet and no one will every leave a positive review unless they are coerced or paid to. Is this one of those have a lawyer and document everything just in case things? It won't be likely that I will be able to come inspect the work while it is being done as it would be a cross country move which would make the whole thing a bit harder. There are existing homes in the same area available but I was looking at new construction as there are certain things that the wife and I need in place to help with her condition and my expectation is having a new house with those taken into account in the design will be easier than retro fitting an existing house.

If anyone has experience with a new build and can either confirm they are all used car salesmen but with contractors or if I just need to go in with my eyes open and it will be fine I would appreciate some info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks Tezer and Motronic. You pretty much hit on the things going on in my mind. A lot of expense and hassle and no guarantee that the outcome will be any better than buying an existing home. Won't go into details about my wife's condition but ramps and sit in tubs are needed. There are some credits for these things so I will see how it goes. Thanks again.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Too much HGTV and not enough taste.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Signed all my loan docs for my new house 2500 miles away. What can go wrong :hurr:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

All the houses with underground discharge probably had it over the walk way until the first time someone slipped on ice and ended up in ER.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Might need a ground penetrating radar survey to see where everything is if the design is not recorded at the county level or something.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Spent $300 having the hot tub cleaned and serviced before listing. Spent about $5000 on having crap hauled away, paint, repairs etc... so I hope the price the realtor wants to list at is correct and the market doesn’t poo poo itself in the next month*

* it will

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Also works to keep you safe when a reactor seal blows and the radiation is at deadly levels for 3 million years.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Hopefully closing on my new house in Phoenix this week and I will be getting solar because hey 350 days of sunshine a year. I see people with panels here in New Hampshire on similar plots to mine surrounded by pine woods and I can’t even grow grass let alone make solar worth it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

well, you can see how that's just one gigantic conflict of interest.

I love seeing houses where they current owner signed a multi decade lease for solar and have to transfer it to the new owner. Because what I really need when buying is more hoops to jump through.

Currently in AZ the “export rate” I.e what they pay for power I put into the grid is 12c/ kwh which is changed annual based on demand which also means based on supply so as soon as more people get solar then as we are discussing the pay off period extends because you are not getting money back for the excess and just saving on your monthly bill.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Isn’t that why you have a battery as well or is it I, being the dumb one?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Front load washers still poo poo?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Adding to Realtors are the worst. My place was up for 2 weeks and no offers. I force them to lower the price and same day I have a no contingency offer for 9k less than the old listing price. They said I could have held out but with other offers that came in not budging it shows the house was overpriced and all the other agents saying it was priced well are liars.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Any of the ones from a big box store should do.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Recently move across country using PODS. Used a 16x8x8 container. Had three truckloads of crap hauled way, gave away tons of stuff, donated others including food we were not going to use. Sold all the cars apart from one we drove across the country in with the dogs and one that has no value apart to me as a project.

Just repeating that you need to declutter, that ikea furniture? Won’t make it anyway. 10 year old TV that might get broken? New 43” tv is like $200. If you are selling then it makes it easier to sell if you have cleared the place out as well.

All in all I probably spent $2k on junk removal and clean up in the house, $4k moving the pod 2700 miles and $1500 on work done to the house to make it look better.

I also got movers both ends to pack and unpack the pod because it would just be me doing it and didn’t want to be lifting beds and stuff up and down tight stairs by myself.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Retro fit a remote?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Pod arrived today and of course stuff has shifted so I had to break a jack out with and extension bar to get under the door and lift it up past the obstacles. Movers will unload it tomorrow and then we will see how much of the crap we brought with us never gets unboxed :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ikea does it again! TV wall mount that doesn't have long enough bolts to attach to a 50"+ TV :ccp: eh close enough.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

falz posted:

also get a dehumidifier, it's going to be mandatory in any damp basement.

100% this, used one in my old place since without it all my stuff was getting damp to the touch.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

A fool and their money.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Solar system install is chugging along nicely. Just had the site survey so time to send off for permits from the ultility and city and an install date can be agreed. Should also have artificial grass started to be installed this week. Got some good quotes for about 1300sqft at $8k installed with tax etc.... The yard currently is all course large gravel so not great for the dogs.

Going to hit 100+ here and stay there for a while in the next week it seems and have my patio sun shade and misting system ready to go.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

That thing breaks all the time. I hate using it.

It usually works if I am using it to post an image I just took from my camera, image on my phone can be hit and miss.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Reviews are important, when I was working with solar companies one of them had tons of crappy reviews and I told the sales man that I had discounted his bid because of that and they might want to work on it. Place I went with had 4.5/5 on hundreds of reviews and most of the low ones were from people who didn’t understand that panels don’t work in an outage without a battery or that you still might get a small power bill.

My first bill in Phoenix was $171 and we used less than we expected after sizing the system so I think I will be ok.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Having artificial grass put down in the back today. Project manager calls me saying there was a miss communication about the amount etc... etc... we need to charge you more. The guy hasn’t been here so doesn’t know that his crew drove a skid steer over fresh sod and left 6 inch ruts in it for about 12 feet. So I text him a picture of the damage and them driving about in the skid steer.

He goes quiet for a second after the picture arrives and says he will call me back. Owner of the company calls apologizing saying how it will be fixed and I don’t need to worry about the mistake they will put down the agreed amount of fake grass. I think someone is losing their toy after today.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Artificial grass is down.

The dogs prefer it prefer it over the course gravel :v: about 1300sqft was $9000 installed. That included removing the old gravel, leveling the yard and laying the grass. You could probably get it done cheaper but I picked a premium artificial grass that is non uniform in blade colour and length with a 25 year warranty. Of course they trashed the real grass out front with their skid steer so I have to deal with them taking up and laying new sod there now and withholding the last part of the bill until it is done.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Hed posted:

Thanks for sharing. The turf itself looks lush, the only thing that stands out as “somethings up with this” from the pic over real grass is the absolutely crisp consistent edge up against the house. That looks great but it’s a bit uncanny to my eye at first.

I’ve always seen it on Costco and dreamed about it and wondered how it stuff would look and sun fade over the years so thanks for posting a real pic.

No problem, the warranty includes fade as well as reasonable wear and tear. I did have to put up some window shades so that it would not get burned out from reflected sunshine but I was going to do that anyway to keep interior temps down. Will have to see what it is like in a year or so after a summer here.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is perforated so you just hose it down when needed. Main thing is not letting windows reflect on to it so it doesn’t melt.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ball Tazeman posted:

Oh hello.

So she’s living under the shed. I’ve definitely never dealt with wildlife trapping. Is a groundhog something I can catch and release safely on my own or should I get a wildlife control expert?

Galaxy Brain: set up cameras and little tables with food and post them to YouTube like the Chunk and make some cash.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Think I posted in here about the artificial lawn I had put in my yard and at the same time they damaged the real grass outside with a skid steer. Still not fixed so I told them to not bother and had the owner price me out replacing all the grass with desert scaping with a decent discount. Going to plant some cactus and other drought resistant plants and return the mower I just bought. I know why the builder put grass and an irrigation system in but it seems wasteful to grow grass in the desert.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yep, I will get $150 from the city fire replacing the grass with not grass.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Since we have dogs I usually buy whatever faux leather sofa is at the local discount furniture’s outlet for under a grand and after it has been destroyed in 2 years go buy another. If you have dogs/kids you cannot have nice to things so just buy cheap things.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah that isn’t going to work with a Velcro dog. He sleeps on top of the back and after a couple of years they are sagged out.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Solar install booked for next Tuesday and it should be turned on before July and I can see how “good” an investment it is.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

My current place has tile in all the common areas, living room, kitchen, bathrooms etc… it is fine on bare feet but I wear slippers anyway.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

$275 power bill today, solar install Tuesday. Hopefully have a full month to month comparison by the end of August so I can see how bad it really it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Got a quote to xeriscape my front yard because the builder putting grass and irrigation in because??? 2100 sqft of grass removed and gravel put in with some aloe plants, cacti and other drought tolerant shrubs.

Most of the other landscaping done by the builders is also failing as they just put in stuff that looked nice not caring if it would survive a Phoenix summer. Heat wave last week was burning the leaves off an Indian Laurel tree.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have a Samsung dishwasher, yes it sucks, no I didn’t buy it myself. I expect the dishes would dry better if I breathed on them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have a large Samsung front loader and do a couple of loads a week. It is fine, takes like 45 minutes to do a cycle.

Note this is a washing machine not a dishwasher no steppu on me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Amazon Prime Day reverse osmosis system installed.

Now for it to leak everywhere.