Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is a shot of an attic. Is this mold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slugworth posted:

Hard to say 100% from a picture, but it looks more like water staining (which to be fair, probably has some level of fungal growth involved). Wear a mask, get a wet rag, and wipe it across the wood. If it streaks at all, it's probably mold.

Thanks All

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yeah I bought some and used it. Problem is that it doesn't remove the stain and I'm trying to sell

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I am supposed to bleach the well because that is what you do when you own a house with a well and you had bacteria come up in the water test. It's not e coli fortunately so I don't have to worry about that.

The procedure looks pretty simple but I have a challenge getting out the wellhead. I haven't seen a well before with a giant concrete lid on it like this one has. Do I just slide this thing over?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

That would be my guess. Thats old school. You're not allowed to haveinstall well heads below grade anymore.

I've seen them just directly buried, and I've also seen them in concrete vaults, which is what it looks like you've got.

The disclosure listed it as a drilled well, but the seller was an idiot and that sure looks like a dug well to me. This place was build in 1942. Looks like I have some digging to do. I really don't want to get dirt in there so I'll have to dig out around it and get the cover just high enough to pour the bleach in it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Oh if that's a 40s well yeah, it could be dug and you're looking at the top of the casing. Wonder what you're going to find down there - is the pump in the well or do you have a jet pump in the basement?

There are wires coming out of the foundations from the pump, so I assume the pump is in the well.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Yep, sounds like a submersible then. This should be interesting. Take pictures.

Welp. Turns out it's a drilled well where the head is 15 feet deep?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

SourKraut posted:

How did a home inspector not comment on that? The moldy muck is at the sanitary cap height...

What I haven't shown in the pictures is the decorative structure that I had to take apart to even get to this. I can't blame the inspector for this one.

Edit: I found this. Apparently this is a New Hampshire thing.

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/dwgb/documents/dwgb-1-14.pdf

daslog fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 23, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So my next problem in my new house is the microwave opening in the kitchen. The frame in this picture it shows a 27-in wide by 15 and 3/4 high. The depth is 11 and 3/4. And there is a shelf that is 16 and 1/2 deep.

I can only find one or two microwaves that could possibly fit in the size opening which really sucks. The cabinet itself is 29 in which seems to be standard for microwave width.

What am I supposed to do here with this weird size opening? it's like it was designed before hanging microwaves was even the thing

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Dave posted:

Yeah if I absolutely had to put a microwave there I would probably reframe and reduce that cabinet to the left to a single door and then figure out what to do with the space above the microwave after I know how big it needs to be.

Edit: eh I take it back I’d probably want to center the microwave. Either way it would require modifying the framing of the cabinets and either trying to find new cabinet faces that match or testing out matching them on my own.

Either that or see if there’s a way to remove the trim on that microwave area to make it 29inch and support the microwave on the framing below it. If you can’t tell I’m really stream of conscious-ing here.

Thanks. the Depth is going to be weird as well because the Shelf that's the cabinets are 11 3/4" deep and a typical microwave is 19 inches deep.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Which dimension is giving you the most grief? I just did a quick search on microwaves on Amazon and see quite a few that would fit (such as this one, this one, or this one.)

Edit: Or am I misunderstanding and the shelf you're referring to is not what the microwave would be sitting on?

There are small ones that will fit, but they don't really fill the space up and I'm thinking that will look weird.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Hmm, I think some of them sell trim kits but I agree at that size it might look a bit silly.

Found this thread of people with your same problem: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/867134/looking-for-micowave-to-fit-in-a-cabinet-maximum-12-inches-depth Since that electrical outlet is not recessed you'll have to get something even more shallow than 11.75" :/

Thanks. I can actually go deeper than that because the Shelf they built into the cabinet sticks out to 15 3/4 inches. That's a very helpful thread.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

His pose 2 minutes ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

Excellent, thank you. I guess the collar is there so you can tell one end from the other.

He's loves that couch for some reason.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anne Whateley posted:

Just put a cookbook or something in the remaining space. It'll look fine. I also have a weirdly small microwave space, so I got a small microwave, and it's fine.

And it's the cheapest, so I'll start there!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

I have a new water line now. Seems to be working just like the old water line. Success.

So like how long should I wait before I plant grass on my new dirt piles? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of it settling? Water it a bunch? Stomp on it?

Plant grass right away. Water it and use starter fertilizer. Some of it will die in the hot summer sun, so plan on killing the weeds that grow and plant grass again on labor day.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Yeah, definitely do not remove and fill with mulch. That's how you make a swamp.

Also, note the marketing photo of the set you posted: on grass.

In other news, 2020 is just gonna keep on being 2020. My septic has a problem. Seems like the box isn't outflowing, but I haven't gotten too far into it other than digging up the caps and now I'm waiting on the honey wagon.

Nothing 20,000 dollars can't fix.

Pipe and Stone forever!

What tractor is that?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My house has heated a coil that runs off the oil boiler for hot water. The inspector and a plumber both suggested to replace the coil with an hot water heater when it goes. Why do people not like this setup?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Prior homeowner put in some ethernet cable which I'm using but they did not do a good job with the boxes. how am I supposed to mount these things correctly they don't hang up like this?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

What's the issue specifically? I mean obviously the cover's hanging off, but what did they do that's preventing it from being put back on?

There doesn't seem to be a way to attach that cover to the metal box.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

tater_salad posted:

Does that Plastic trim bit come off the top because that's where the screw holes would be, should screw into the box where those little tabs are with threaded holes

No it doesn't come off. the cover does have holes, it's just that they don't line up with the box.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

And a low volt ring might even fit without removing the box with as far back as it's sitting.

Good idea. Thanks all

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I grew up in Vermont. Everything takes three times longer than it should because of act 250. And no one can drive.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hughmoris posted:

*I posted this in a different thread but I see now this is probably a better spot

I feel dumb for asking this but based on the utility room photo below... Would you say the dryer is gas, electric, or not enough information to say for certain?

I move in to my first house rental next week, and like a dummy I forgot to check to see which it is. I found this photo from an old listing and I'm hoping I can tell for certain so I can shop for the washer/dryer tomorrow, or I'll have to wait another week till I get more free time. Thanks!

That looks like a 4 prong plug for an electric dryer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm trying to make a one-lane road through my 5 acres of property. What's and inexpensive material to use if I'm never going to pay it. I'd be spreading it out with my tractor. I'm thinking something like road base?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This is pretty narrow so and I don't think a truck will be able to get down there. So I'll be moving the pile from the top of the hill.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hello Goons,

My wife would like me to replace the white picket fence that is falling down in our yard with "farm fencing' that looks just like this:

To me, this looks like 4X4 pressure treated posts with the tops cut at an angle and some kind of 6 inch wide "rough" boards for the fencing material. I looked at Lowe's Depot and didn't see anything like those boards. Does anyone know what they are called and where I can find them?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

This is the incorrect order. When you find something like that in an inspection report it means you hire a structural engineer NOW, before your inspection contingency is over.

I'd say the correct order is to run away from that house then work on getting back any money you gave them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

QuarkJets posted:

Inspection contingency lol

We haven't made an offer yet, but if we did this market does not support any contingencies. So the question is whether we make an offer, and it sounds like the thread is saying no.

It's a risk. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I purchased a two family house 14 months ago. The inlaw apartment has a Navien CH-210 combination hot water until that provides heat and hot water for that unit. It failed the first time about 6 months after we moved in. It was leaking water and required replacement of the igniter. Now, 7 months later, it's intermittently not producing hot water and according to my daughter "the shower hot water smells like Rust/dirt." We are on well water, and I do have a sediment filter (50 microns). The unit was installed back in 2012 and I very much doubt it's been maintained properly.

Any techs know anything about this? Should I just dump it and go back to an old school hot water heater? Should I continue to hate everything high efficiency because it's all unreliable bullshit that's expensive to fix?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Where was it leaking from before? Sounds like both of the coil loops are trashed. Which isn't a surprise at that age with no maintenance. You ABSOLUTELY NEED to service those things annually. And that includes flushing them.

The rust/dirt thing is probably the domestic hot water loop getting cross contaminated with the hydronic heating loop water. That poo poo's nasty.

Once they need that poo poo replaced it's usually more cost effective to just replace the whole unit.

Yes it was leaking 6 months ago when the tech came out. So your thought is to just trash the whole thing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Planting grass in the spring is usually a losing battle unless you can irrigate all summer long. Fall is when you should do grass projects and spring is when you throw down Pre-emeregnt to prevent the weeds.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Since we are talking ventilation, I'm stuck with a stove that uses a downdraft fan system thingy that vents through the basement l.

The replacement stove was 3 grand, and I had a total of 2 models to choose from across all manufacturers

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Colonel J posted:

I bought a used dishwasher, it has a standard 3-pronged electrical plug. My dishwasher hole only has a bare wire, so I guess I need to add an outlet at the end of it. I have no trouble buying an outlet from a hardware store and doing it myself, but is there any issue doing so? Is this the kind of work that'll void my insurance if not done by an electrician?

Feels like it might be a state specific question. Here in New Hampshire you can do all your wiring but in other states you must be licensed.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Not to discourage people on mini splits, but I hung out with my brother in law who manages HVAC service last week. I asked him about installing mini splits and if he thought it was a good idea.

His feedback was along the lines of "You need an expert installer. These devices are so advanced that if the installer makes one tiny mistake, a little bit of moisture can get into the system and wreck havoc in a few years. When we quote repair costs, we do it in days instead of hours because again, one little mistake by the repair tech and the whole procedure had to be started all over again."

Customers lose their minds at the repair costs and there isn't anything we can do about it. So think of mini splits as extremely high tech devices with high tech maintenance costs.

Just food for thought.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

hypnophant posted:

i’m not going to claim to know all the details of mini split maintenance but i’ve stayed in apartment blocks in developing countries that were cooled entirely by individual mini splits in each unit so the idea that they’re high tech or difficult to install is mind blowing and are you sure your brother doesn’t just employ a lot of meth addicts?

He does commercial and not residential if that matters. Pretty sure he doesn't hire meth heads though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bort posted:

It's just gooed up to the capstone. This is where the worst of the crackcing is:

I feel like what I really need is a dude with a half hour and a bucket of tar. This isn't bad enough to do a lot of work on yet.

This type of stuff I like to keep on top of. In my experience crack repair gets a lot more expensive the longer you let it go.