Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So what I'm getting from this cabinet painting discussion is that whenever we decide to look into it, we should hire someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Are there any smart outside soffit LED systems out there? Or is my best bet to get some regular fixtures installed and spring for some hue or other smart bulbs that are outdoor rated?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

Why would you want "smart" individual bulbs for soffit lighting.

I'm just being really judgy here, but have you heard of structural electrical wiring? You can even run that to a zwave compatible switch if you want to control it with home automation. I'm not sure in what circumstance you would need to individually change the color temperature of your soffit lights on the fly from your smartphone.

Not temp, I want to adjust color accordingly. I'm getting jealous of the houses around us lighting theirs up purple, green, and gold for mardi gras because it looks really slick

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am literally in the middle of digging up our yard to do something similar. Pavers were special ordered and are arriving either next weekend or the following. Digging by hand is rough though, but luckily we are going to need the dirt to raise up a large section of our yard so I've just been dumping it there for now.

I'll be sure to share progress pics when it's all done.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd be slightly annoyed at the realtor for not knowing or informing me of that extra chunk of land because lot sizes here have a decent affect on your property taxes. Enjoy your extra lawn though!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone got some solid recommendations for good outdoor sectional cushions? Comfort and durability are probably key with price being secondary.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have a very large sectional from LaZBoy. It is a fantastic build and incredibly comfortable and we are very happy with it. We basically configured our living room around it, though. I suggest planning out the foot print of a sectional very well with either some painters tape on the ground or pieces of cardboard and see if that's the right plan for you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
In my experience, the hole in the top plate for running coax is always just big enough to fit the coax itself and nothing else. Hopefully your life is a little easier than mine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

H110Hawk posted:

Buy an expensive German appliance filled with plastic parts they said, it will have superior German adhesives they said,

It's a little hard to see but the plastic little teeth/clip things on the left of the picture are chewed/ground down significantly compared to the other side. Tried just re-seating it and running it on rinse, fell off again. Not sure if my toddler closing the door on the open basket caused it to fail the rest of the way or if it was already in the bottom of the basket before, either way it's toast. $31 shipped from some random parts website for the whole assembly to the back of the basin.

Ours is similar to this and had the same problem (made worse my by mother in law constantly putting things to tall in the top shelf). I eventually just used loctite to keep it connected and hasn't failed yet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

H110Hawk posted:

This happened to your "top shelf" (the middle basket in ours, where glassware and stuff goes) and loctite helped it stay in? Which kind - the usual blue or something more exotic like red? Would you mind drawing where to put it on that picture or describing it?

This thing has seen probably 2000 cycles so far, and we don't exactly take tender loving care of it, we've definitely run it where things on the bottom rack wound up blocking the middle basket sprayer. We run it 7-8 times a week normally, and when we're doing baby bottles 2-3x a day.

Ours isn't exactly the same, it is a Frigidaire, but it has a similar clip on part for the sprayer head that attaches static to the sprayer and spins free on the holder at the top. I used blue loctite because that's what we had.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Here's a close approximation to mine

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

eddiewalker posted:

Any traditional ideas for this before I get creative with a 3D printer?

Get a water line run to that spot. Install toilet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

peanut posted:

There's a rat in my in-law's house. They gassed the kitchen and replaced the ugly old cabinet where we found the nest. But no one can chill until we catch and destroy it.

My mission today is to buy or make a trap :/

I have the perfect plans for a trap, just need an old bathtub, a couple of marbles, some gears, and an old boot

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm a little more worried about the light in the bathroom that doesn't appear to have any sort of enclosure

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I recently installed some dusk to dawn fixtures by our front door that we picked up as Costco, so might wanna see if you can find something like that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Also best to limit super bright lights to motion sensors for security purposes. The porch lights we leave on all the time tend to be less bright and use warmer temps. In fact, I have them on orange right now for the holiday (smart leds). Even better is during the warmer months, yellow colored lights attract less bugs

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I imagine expanding foam could work too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Sirotan posted:

Ok here it is. It's huge and gross. You can clearly see one of the concrete plugs on the front there, there's at least two more:

And here is how close it is to the house:

Carving out into a totem was my second thought but I think it's probably too rotten at this point. :(

Edit: and yes I know that downspout is janky af, previous owners didn't even have it hooked up so all that water was going directly into the basement. It's current situation is an improvement!

Fire.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Should kept one of those slabs of stump and made a dope end table

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Getting flashbacks of the wall in our living room that we opened up...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am thankful every day for the feral cat colony near our house.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We too had some recent work done:
Google maps shot of the previous (it actually looked worse than this as it was a small hill of weeds growing on top of my excavation from the backyard patio project)

Bonus interior shot with dogs

Please ignore my terrible awful weedy lawn

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Your pot lids and pots too large to hang on the rack aren't just haphazardly thrown into a cabinet? I guess I've been doing it wrong.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Phanatic posted:

Also I feel compelled to yell at her because she has no homeowner's insurance

Errrr, what.

Also, homeowners won't cover wood destroying insects in my experience, so though that's not applicable to this situation, that should still be remedied anyway.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Enos Cabell posted:

Getting out and working in the yard is fun and relaxing though :shrug:

You must not be familiar with southern US. I can barely bring myself to cut my unruly lawn right now with a real feel of 104 degrees and 50% humidity.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A linoleum surprise when checking out what was under my lovely laminate in the kitchen.

This looks dope.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What fridge manufacturers are good these days? I think ours just kicked the bucket and I'd like to jump on whatever labor day sales remain if possible

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I guess my choice is then: whatever Costco stocks and I can slap the Costco extended warranty onto. Thanks!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If your area is anything like mine, if you put those bricks on the curb and advertise "free" on facebook marketplace, they will be gone in 48 hours tops.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Toebone posted:

I've got 40 or so cinder blocks the previous owner left in the backyard. Before I haul them down to the dump, is there anything neat I could do with them? I have a big empty backyard and it's mostly just used by the dog for crappin.

Put them on the curb and put a "free" post on Craigslist and watch them disappear in a day.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

actionjackson posted:

anyone else have some good stories about really disgusting stuff you discovered at home, usually because it's something you forgot to maintain or clean?

I just have my "let me see if my kitchen sink pipes have any stuff clogged in them" and OH GOD NO

today I discovered that my vacuum hasn't been working well for a long time because I never cleaned the filter, oh and also the brush area at the bottom has a 1/2 inch thick layer of crud/dirt/dog hair stuck on it, so I had to take apart and clean my entire vacuum. That was pretty gross. But it was very satisfying to get it clean!

About a year or so ago we were suddenly having really bad issues with carpet moths (the type that munch on fabric). We were pretty good about vacuuming and keeping things straight and we also paid my MIL come once a month to clean a bit deeper. I bought some sticky pheromone traps but only seemed to be having mild success in reducing numbers. Finally, I began to notice that a lot of the larva we were finding were concentrated near a transition piece from the wood floor to tile entryway landing. I pried up the transition and it was disgusting, just loads and loads of larva and discarded husks across this ~5' channel where the transition piece was. Best I could tell is between vacuuming and sweeping, hair and dust were getting caught under and into the channel there and wouldn't get pulled back out so it just became a breeding ground and buffet in one.

Vacuumed and scraped up the whole channel, thoroughly checking in and around, bought a few more packs of traps. We have been moth free since.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm about to have my roof looked at for repair/replacement. A storm blew through a couple weeks ago and left about a dozen or so shingles loose and hanging. I'm hoping that coupled with how rough it looks, I can try and put an insurance claim in.

This is my first go with this sort of this, what's a good order of operations? Should I have a roofer look at it first and then come up with a quote and go to insurance or should I file claim with insurance first?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

Also, what light string do you have and what yo do think of it? I dunno if there is any quality to get there or you just buy whatever and replace as necessary.

Those look real similar to the Feit lights at Costco that are regularly on sale

We hung a set of them around the pergola a year ago and they are still kicking. You can also see the ones in the background that have the cute little shades over top, we got those as they were being discontinued from Bed Bath and Beyond like 7 years ago and they sat in a closet until last summer when I finally got an electrician out to wire up the backyard with some outlets for us. They are lovely incandescent and I need to go through and twist them around the cable a bit, but they are still trucking even through all the lovely storms and hurricanes we had this past year plus the super bad freeze.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Deviant posted:

i've been texting them simpsons gifs for 6 months now

I sent the last one the Dr Evil "one million dollars" gif.
I was kinda bummed they didn't respond.

Kicker is they were inquiring about a property no one in my family owns and one I never lived in myself, was just a property my parents rented for a couple years between houses.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone have any experience with having EIFS removed from a brick house?

I'm toying with getting a siding contractor out to spitball the idea with them. I hate the poo poo and want it removed but most of the stuff I read is that the brick underneath is probably hosed due to whatever method they may have used to attach the the EIFS.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

My understanding is that you'd be looking at sandblasting and maybe even repointing after removal. That's a ton of labor.

Ugh, yeah, that's what it's seeming like. I was hoping that maybe someone had come out with a good method of doing it at this point. I figure even if the brick comes out marred a bit, we would probably just paint it anyway so with minor pointing work could maybe hide a lot of the bad stuff. I might still reach out to a few firms and see what they say.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

slave to my cravings posted:

Our new french door whirlpool fridge is barely getting the items in the right side door to 44 degrees. The bottom door freezer is fine at around 0F and the most of the main fridge seems to be at an okay temp between 33 and 40. The fridge is set to it’s coldest temp at 33. It seems like it is mostly an air circulation problem but I don’t know how that’s possible unless it’s a design flaw. The doors are level and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious leaks in the door seal. It’s only about 1/2 full and it’s been 4 days since we got it so it should have cooled down sufficiently by now. I really don’t want to return a fridge but goddammit this is so dumb for a 2000$ appliance to not work like it should. The side door bins are advertised as being “gallon bins” so that you can fit milk, juice, etc in them so there really is no excuse why they should be above 40F consistently.

I also have a new french door whirlpool. I haven't experienced this issue, but I do know it can be pretty temperamental about airflow. Make sure nothing is blocking the vent in the back on the top left by the ice maker. My wife is bad about stacking things there in the way and I think that totally fucks with the fridge because we will start getting really bad cold spots

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
With Ida barreling towards us, I cleaned up yard, got everything loose inside, and filmed whole house for an insurance inventory.
We had already planned a vacation leaving this morning which was fortunate. We wished the house good luck, but I couldn't help but look through each room fondly wondering if this was the last time I'll see them.

Oh well, insurance docs are in our fire safe in possession of the inlaws.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have that cheapo nest and honestly I like the mirrored front (except when my MIL who has no idea how to use it tries to adjust the temp and smudges it up). It's very simple and gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is blinds.com a good place for roman shades?