Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but don't buy a rug. And stop walking around on eggshells. You're not at any fault here assuming we're literally just talking about normal footsteps, and not like, you recently installing a trampoline. Explain to them that you are not doing anything unusual, and that they should contact the landlord about insulating the ceiling if it's an issue. I can't imagine being such a miserable bastard that I complained to my upstairs neighbor about the physical laws of accoustics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pollyanna posted:

The problem with that is that I don't have an alibi to fall back on when I'm asked what I did to try and fix the problem, which opens me up to having blame heaped on me. I feel safer having surefire backup when I say hey sorry, I've literally done what I can, you're gonna have to deal with it. Getting into E/N territory here, but it's a compromise.
You're definitely being reasonable, so I don't mean to be to pig headed, but my point is this - You've literally done nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong. If they got mad at you for breathing, would you say 'I've tried holding my breath while in my apartment, I'm not sure what else to do'? Enough rugs to cover an entire apartment will be expensive (unless you buy cheap ugly ones) and as someone else said, really aren't likely at all to make any difference. You're taking on a cost in order to ultimately fail to fix someone else's irrational problem.

In fact, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the downstairs neighbor putting down rugs in *their* apartment will probably help with sound absorption more.

Anyways though, all this is said to be supportive, not to give you a hard time. Good luck with whatever you do.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

So how difficult is tiling a tub/shower? The tv shows make it look easy but I know better than that. 60 year old house, I gutted and remodeled the bathroom but the framing around the tub is original. What I'm worried about is getting the cement board nice and flat, my understanding is flat goes a long way toward making tiling easier. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a foam product to go between studs and the cement board to compensate for minor variations.
It's not overly difficult, just finicky. Anyone with an eye for detail can do it just fine though. However, if it's your first time, and you aren't expecting a perfectly flat surface, you should be looking at smaller tiles. Large ones really telegraph any bow in the wall (best way to understand why is to picture applying large tiles to a column vs small ones.)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Omne posted:

I've got a section of my very small lawn that previous owners used as a flower bed....except the flower bed contained a fire hydrant, water company line access cover, and a tree stump. This area is 4'x6' in size, so not huge. We want to remove all the old much and siding and just make it grass so it goes with the grass all around it. I've got a guy coming to do the stump removal, but I'm wondering what to do to get the grass growing. I'm in Memphis, TN, so zone 8 and I believe we are in a good time to put some down

Just to add a bit to Moronic's advice - The bag of seed will tell you to rake the dirt before seeding - They're not loving around when they say this. Spend the time to really loosen up the top inch of soil. I never had any luck getting grass to grow until I started using a tiller before seeding - It's overkill, but it's easy and effective. Failing a tiller, really work over the soil with a rake/gardening fork, or buy a few bags of topsoil and put down a thin layer over the whole area before seeding.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Arachnamus posted:

I meant for drainage but yeah that is some house.

Yeah, surely this is something the servants could handle??

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I've never seen a dedicated in-floor drain for a washing machine, but I suppose it's possible. Currently the washing machine drains elsewhere.
I couldn't say whether it's code or not, but every washing machine should have a nearby floor drain. It's pretty standard, if not quite 100% in my area (Illinois).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Even refinished, they'll always have huge gaps between the boards. That's not flooring, it's subflooring. Or a deck that somehow snuck inside a house. Screw down the boards that are raised, screw down any squeaky boards, and install actual flooring.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I sold a house that got seepage in the partially finished basement when it rained hard. We disclosed it, and their inspection found evidence of it as well, but to this day every time it rains in the area, I still sort of grimace and hope the new owners aren't cursing me as they cleanup water.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm in the strange position of agreeing that it's dumb to spend 4k on a door, but feeling I should point out that you could walk into a Home Depot tomorrow and buy a 3k door. Like, 4k isn't some insane, unheard of price for a front door with sidelights, especially from a builder a little higher end than the Home Depot specials.

But if I was buying one, I probably wouldn't spend over a grand, so :shrug:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It'll be covered up. I'm torn, in that it'll never be seen, but it's not super professional to install a tub like that in a new home.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Typically the power to an outlet goes to the line side, and the next outlet chained to that outlet is in the load. This is mostly to help you stay organized and trace wires. The hot connection points are electrically the same, as they are a common bus bar/plate. The same is true for the neutral. The detector device would be unable to tell the difference.
I believe the oulet in question is a GFCI (only because I don't think I've ever seen a regular outlet actually marked line/load, but I could be wrong), in which case it definitely matters where things are plugged in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've installed speakers and shelving onto shiplap with drywall on top. I just treat it like I'm going into the framing and it's worked so far. Don't PM me when your TV falls off the wall though.

Not trying to be pedantic, but are we talking about actual shiplap or just lath? If actual shiplap, yeah, I'd mount the tv anywhere I wanted, studs be damned. Lath is a way different story.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BadSamaritan posted:

Okay so a home project just changed in scope.

I had floor that looked worse that came out quite nice. Time will tell as you uncover more - As others have said, water stains may be hiding, and they tend to go deep enough that it can be hard/impossible to sand out. The other issue is gaps. Old floors have had a long time to move around, and can be real gappy. You can fill them, but larger ones will always be visible. Some people will call it character, others will call it a defect.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I bought a chest freezer a couple of years ago and it's slowly filling up with various strata of stuff that I don't even know what it is anymore.

Milk crates. One for meat, one for veggies, etc. I can't imagine using a chest freezer without them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

immoral_ posted:

Yeah, I'd say just turn it into some kinda feature.
Yeah, like some kind of lantern holder or something.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Get a firewood splitter for 100$ on amazon and a sledgehammer

You definitely don’t want to chainsaw half a cord of wood the long way. That sounds kinda dangerous unless you have an awesome jig to hold the wood in.
Sounds like he needs to cut it shorter, not split it. Cheap chainsaw seems like the best solution.

(Unless I'm totally misreading it, but I cant imagine he's feeding a stove 14-20" diameter logs.)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 31, 2018

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

This is a common way for these to be installed, but it's entirely possible to vent most microwave ducting out the rear, through the wall, to the outside.
Or upwards through the cabinet. This forum for some reason really hates/misunderstands over the oven microwaves. I've never installed one that didn't have multiple options for venting.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I am having sink problems! :v: The counter top cutout for sink currently in my home is 20 and 5/8s by 31". I am looking for a stainless steel sink and cannot for the life of me seem to find something that will fit in this drat thing. It seems like I need an entirely new countertop with a whole new cutout? I really want to avoid that if possible

Does a standard 33x22 not fit? That cutout sounds like plenty of room. Just measuring/eyeballing things from the top, my elkay 33x22 looks as though it would fit comfortably in that opening.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Southern Heel posted:

My ex and I split, and I'm keeping the house. It's a three bed, and so now I've got a spare bedroom which used to be her office - it's basically empty apart from a pair of white ikea wardrobes that are half full (and probably could be completely gone) and lime green walls. The floor (as the rest of the house) is bare boards varnished and walnut-stained.

Do I just take it on the chin and paint the room grey or some muted pastel and fill it with white bedroom furniture? The house is alot bigger than I need, and it seems bananas to spend £5-600 to furnish a room that would get used maybe twice per year. My thought is to move my office (which is currently in the smallest 'box room' bedroom) into the spare bedroom so I have a bigger space to work with, but it would only leave room for a single bed for a guest. I don't know if this is even a problem, just generally have no idea what to do
Aren't you a train dude? Doesnt a spare room in a train dude's house = More trains?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So I'm in the process of rebuilding a tub shower surround from the studs. What is the current generally accepted 'best way' to go about this if I'm planning on tiling? Regular cement board on the studs and then tile? Something else? I'm trying to avoid dealing with/spending $$$ on any number of fancy German waterproofing systems.
Well, in fairness, the fancy german waterproofing systems are literally the generally accepted best way. That being said, a nice runner-up would be doing your cement board, then throwing on a coat of redgard, then tiling.

Honestly though, I just redid my shower, and just did tile on cement board for the walls because, eh, that's how it's been done for awhile, and I've never personally seen it become an issue.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m just at planning stage, do those systems also have a conventional heater downstream like Motronic said? I assume so.

About half the people we talk to say solar is great for pool heating, about half say don’t bother. I have no idea. (Gas is not a viable option).
We had an above ground pool when I was a kid, and our heating system was spraying ourselves with cold water from the hose and then jumping into the relatively warmer pool.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Omne posted:

Got a quick painting question...

We painted some large horizontal stripes in our powder room to give it a bit of jazz. Unfortunately, we didn't know that using painters tape on orange peel walls is not very effective, and we've got some bleeding both up and down. What's the easiest way to fix this, without screwing up the straight line? The lower lines seem like they'd be the easiest, but how do I prevent the top lines from bleeding white down into the blue sections?

What it looks like from afar: https://imgur.com/a/58Hvfcd

And what it looks like up close: https://imgur.com/a/1cMPczt
Retape, putting the tape over your white stripes. Paint the tape line with white paint, so the inevitable bleed through is white. This will seal the tape line. Then you paint your blue line.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Untrustable posted:

Power company came and looked at my pole and found it acceptable.
Well, that should put a stop to the wife's complaining.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a sofa-buying thread? Or general furniture thread? Here works too.
Theres an interior decoration thread, but if you're not spending 10k on your couch, they'll want nothing to do with you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

When I bought my previous house, one of the first upgrades was ceiling fans in every room.

Every. One.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

Torx are a superior screw.
I'm just surprised his box of Torx didn't come with the bit. I'm sure they're sold without, but I've never seen it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

And don't think I didn't appreciate the risk! He's a retired boomer with back problems, so he can't get out much. The only way our conversations would last less than 30 minutes would be if one of us were hit by a car mid sentence

E: I'm looking to winterize our house, and one of the suggestions that came up repeatedly was caulking your windows, interior and exterior. Here's an inside window, which is representative of basically all of them in the house. They're "middle aged" (15 years? 20?) windows in what I believe are original window frames, which if that's the case, are 19th century. The yellow lines indicate the seam at which I applied clear latex caulk.

My question is whether that's actually accomplishing anything, or if I'm wasting my time.

Yep, I can tell you just by glancing at that picture that your problem is that window is actually open.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Any tips on finding and working with contractors?

I bought a place recently and there are a few oddjobs I don't want to deal with and/or aren't qualified to deal with. I'll definitely need an electrician for part of it, some drywall repair, and someone to hang a glass shower door. It's a whole series of little projects that need different skills, so I'm not quite sure who to contact first.

Should I be getting multiple bids for everything? Buying materials myself to avoid their markup? Find one decent main contractor and let him/her sub the rest out?
What is the electrical work? Because hanging a shower door and fixing some drywall is firmly in the territory of "friendly local handyman". They should be able to handle basic electric stuff too.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Vinyl plank. That'll get wet from rain and snow, and vinyl will hold up better than laminate.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wooger posted:

The concept of only ever updating property taxes when a house is sold is insane fair and equitable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wooger posted:

Estimates are fine, as long as the burden of paying for all public services is not placed in those least equipped to pay them then things might work out OK.

So it’s totally fair for a young person buying their first small flat/apartment and living alone to pay more property taxes than a millionaire boomer, just because they’ve lived there a long time? OK.
... Orrrrr, and hear me out here, a little old lady who is on a fixed income but can afford to stay in her home because her property taxes haven't increased due to sick tech bros buying every property around her and tearing them down to make mcmansions...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

daslog posted:

Here is a shot of an attic. Is this mold?

Hard to say 100% from a picture, but it looks more like water staining (which to be fair, probably has some level of fungal growth involved). Wear a mask, get a wet rag, and wipe it across the wood. If it streaks at all, it's probably mold.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Is this from water damage? Can I fix it by scraping, sanding and repainting? It's way off in a corner that you almost never really see so if it's a big task I just won't bother, but I was curious.

It's an easy job if it turns out that you have a natural talent for taping and mudding (I don't mean that sarcastically, some people take to it instantly) or a never-ending nightmare where it somehow ends up looking even worse than it does now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

actionjackson posted:

hmmm I'm just going to leave it because I don't even know what "mudding" is haha

*checks youtube*

yeah ok no
Congrats, it tooks me several attempts over the course of a decade for me to reach the same conclusion.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Can condensate issues happen when a furnace is on? I'm in Chicagoland and our ancient furnace has a jerry rigged hose running the length of the basement to an ejector pit. Its not flat so every now and then I have to blow on it so it doesn't back up and overfllow during high humidity

So this morning I found water in the basement after a very heavy rainstorm. Never had it before from rain, but have had it from the condensate line. But it was 50 degrees and the heat was on. Our drains are capped so it wasn't a sewer backup, and it's possible it came up the shower drain but it didn't smell bad so I think it's either rain water from ???? Or the HVAC

How do I diagnose this, argh
Also in the Chicagoland area, and have no problem whatsoever believing that your basement just suffered from seepage last night. We've had a crazy amount of rain, the ground is saturated, and then we got hit with that nonsense last night. Everybody's basement is wet. My sump was struggling all night, so I threw a spare pump in the pit to help it out, and I still ended up getting some seepage in the corner of my crawlspace (I'm in a split level, so half crawlspace, half finished basement).

The cornfield at the end of my block also flooded, sending a wave of rotting corn stalks and husks into the surrounding streets, clogging up all the gutters. My block is thankfully apparently on sliiightly higher ground, and I was spared from having to stand in knee deep water shoveling rotting corn away from storm drains.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 18, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is an interesting one because I see a lot of stories on here from people in the US aghast that their bathroom tiles are adhered straight onto board, and I keep quiet because that's how I've always seen it done (and how it is in my new bathroom). Presumably there's some good reason y'all use more than e.g. the moisture-resistant plasterboard that I've got here, but to me, any kind of membraning would be above and beyond
Membrane isn't nearly as ubiquitous as you would get the impression from these boards, at least in the Chicago area. I've demo'd a looot of bathrooms (including new construction) and never actually seen a membrane in the wild. Concrete board is definitely the standard here though. Could be a difference in building materials, but even our version of moisture resistant plaster board (greenboard) eventually starts getting soggy and falling apart behind shower tile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sirotan posted:

I just had an electrician in to get a second quote on replacing and upgrading my service panel. Dude comes to my door with no mask on, then acts real annoyed when I ask if he has one. I just received the official quote and his email says the permit is optional. Lmao, nope nope nope
I mean, you can choose to do work legally or not. He's not wrong.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I love the mural even more than the trap door. And I'm a man who loves a good trap door. I rented an attic apartment once that had gotten around the multiple egresses requirement by placing a trap door in the kitchen floor that went down to the second floor hallway/staircase. It was janky as hell, and a pain to use, but it was my preferred method of visiting the downstairs neighbors vs just using the stairs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I installed a new showerhead, and since it's considerably larger than the one I removed, it's sort of dominating the shower space. Is it safe to cut back the pipe extruding from the wall by a several inches and rethread it?

My friends put in an offer a few weeks ago in a Buffalo suburb. There were 33 competing offers. It's a frenzy out there.
Generally, that pipe itself is threaded into a fitting right inside the wall, so you should be able to just unthread it and replace it with a shorter one.

And yeah, market is real weird right now. I just listed my house last Friday and had 2 offers by Monday morning, with a ton of requests for showings through the rest of the week. It's a nice enough house, but not one that should be making people go nuts. Pretty nice to only have to do 4 showings to sell the place though.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BonerGhost posted:

I checked the code book and couldn't find anything specific on this situation: the valves under the kitchen sink leak and they're those little oval shaped handles that cost about $7. I hate that kind. Would it be stupid/not allowed to put half turn ball valves on them instead?
They sell quarter turn ball valves specifically for sink connections, and it's absolute insanity that anyone still installs the lovely plastic ones you're referring to. It's like a 2 dollar difference in parts.