Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cruft posted:

Yeah, my first thought was also fire and/or flooding. It turns out there are actually laws all over the place preventing insurance companies from setting rates based on risk. This is why there is still a lot of coastal construction happening. As these laws slowly get overturned, insurance rates are beginning to reflect the actual risk of a place, and we're going to an increase in migration even beyond what's already happening after a neighborhood gets flooded 3 times in a 10-year period.
In California, at least , there's a high-risk pool. You can get insurance if you're in a danger zone, it'll just be spendy. I didn't have to go to the high-risk pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I assume from the exhaust that's a gas heater. If so, the county requires plumbers to work on it for a very good reason: keeping amateurs from killing their whole families.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rythe posted:

Two big projects are hiring painters to paint the entire interior, original home owners of 15 years and the paint shows plus we got $5k knock off the price of the house too. Thankfully we've will have a full week from closing to when my movers come and pick up everything and deliver it all the painters have plenty of time.
Congratulations on the house, and on having a place you can make exactly what you want to be!

Any kind of home contractors, including painters, are run off their feet right now. Do you already have somebody scheduled? If not, and you're closing in a few days, it is too late. If you do, you need to be prepared for the possibility that at the last minute they'll be unavailable. Have contingency plans. Can you move all the furniture into one or two rooms, leaving the rest free to be painted? Can you move your larger things into storage if you need to?

What sort of trees are there in your new back yard? There are a few varieties of tree, most notoriously walnut, that kill all other plants in their root zone. Leaving that aside, look at all your small trees, and ask yourself if they'll all fit at their mature sizes. It's cheaper to take out an out-of-place sapling now than to wait until it's full grown and spindly because it didn't get enough light. What climate do you live in? Fall is a great time to sod if the sod has a chance to settle in before the frost hits. Assuming it's at least a week until you take possession, there are a lot of climates where it's already too cold to plant sod this year. If so, try overseeding; grass seed is way cheaper than sod, and it can't hurt to try.

Have fun!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm pretty sure this leak has been around for months but we're playing it safe by cutting the gas at the meter at night, and we don't get any whiffs of gas anywhere during the day except occasionally from the water heater closet. I have a natural gas detector in there though and it's never shown a PPM reading or alarmed. Once I pull the water heater out I can cap the line and perform a real pressure test on it with my test gauge too.
Is there a reason you aren't hiring a plumber for this one? It's one thing to install an outlet, it's another to track down a very dangerous leak.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

My wifes oldest sister and her husband had an 18% 30 year loan on their first house in the early 80s.

I don't remember the mortgage rate on my first house in the '80s -- definitely in the high teens -- but I do remember that it was adjustable. :aaaaa:

e: Also, it was a "jumbo" (large) mortgage, which had higher rates.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 15, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

skipdogg posted:

The flip side of the 80's rates was CD's actually paid a ton of interest as well. My wife deals with old people all the time discussing the days of earning 15% on a CD while they complain that todays rates are like 0.55%

The inflation rate in 1981 was 10%. That's why CDs paid so much interest, and people tend to forget that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Bosch I had to special-order in August because only the ADA-compliant model will fit under my low cast-marble countertops ... sob! sob! has not even made it on the boat, and the appliance guy says he doesn't know when it will. Bosch doesn't give him any notification at all until he suddenly gets "Yeah, it's on the boat." . This is totally fair and reasonable given all the current crises, but we just did Thanksgiving with no dishwasher and it was hell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just found out that these exist, and I am happy as a clam. We have an old (at least 1960s) set of cabinets with a solid poured-stone top that would be Hell to modify. This would let us get use out of the space currently wasted in the blind cabinet without replacing the cabinets.

I am also looking very, very covetously at this because our sole pantry is a set of wooden shelves in what used to be the back porch, and we need to get out of the things-lost-in-the-back trap.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MrYenko posted:

:allears:

Just ordered this same model today. Did the dishwasher, range, and microwave. Estimated delivery, April 2022. Probably. Maybe.
Our appliance dude frankly says that Bosch doesn't tell him anything until the appliance is actually loading onto the ship. He was hoping for December, but now who knows.

This is especially annoying because this is an ADA-compliant dishwasher, which happens to be the only form factor that will actually fit under our cast-stone countertop. It's not as if anybody's going to have that one in stock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Embrace the PO mindset. Cut a hole in the floor and inset a normal height dishwasher underneath the stone countertop.

What are a few joists between friends, anyway?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In the case of this house, it's 90-year-old virgin redwood, and it's difficult enough to drive screws into it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

a dingus posted:

Thanks. I figured painting might not the worth it. We bought the place pre-pandemic and I keep the cabinets were cheap but I hate them a little more every day. Good to knew Ikea is worth looking at

Edit* I think if painting was semi easy we'd go through and do it, especially if the cabinets were hard wood or decent quality. But if it's as tough as it sounds I probably won't want to sink that kind of effort in when the kitchen should probably just get redone.

Somebody mentioned this in another thread, and I think it's genius. You can buy custom wood doors that fit on Ikea cabinet carcasses. Hey presto, pretty kitchen for cheap! The brand I heard mentioned was Semi Handmade. https://www.semihandmade.com/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just remembered my best PO story. When you drained the bathtub in the upstairs bathroom, sometimes it would leak. Only if the tub had been full. If the tub had been half-full, no leak. The shower never leaked. We were very confused.

When we stripped the floor down, it turned out the PO had managed to saw vertically through the top of the waste pipe. Not the whole thing, just the top. So when the water filled the pipe, it reached the open saw slit, and hey presto.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Would this be the place to ask about window treatment purchasing?

We just bought our first home and want to update the window treatments. For the most part we want roller shades because we'd prefer not to have curtains and the windows are too shallow to mount cellular blinds without letting a lot of light through the sides. So essentially I think we're looking for:

*Motorized blackout roller shades
*Non motorized room darkening roller shades
*Room darkening panel track blinds for a west-facing sliding glass door (want to block the sun in the summer since we don't have air conditioning)

Is there a general good recommendation for the above? A certain brand or store? Normally I'd start with the Wirecutter but I've been trusting their recommendations less and less, and their top pick Select Blinds, gets a lot of negative comments around the internet. I've been pouring over the internet for days and I don't feel like I have a good handle on where to go.

If you can trust yourself to do accurate measurements, go with Blindster.com. They are a pain in the rear end to install, there will be much cursing as you stand on a ladder and try to get things level, but they work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Honestly, with a 12-plus (was it new when you got it?) year-old washing machine, this is only the first time it's going to break. Repair this, and there will be other parts near the end of their useful lifespans.

Consumer Reports likes LG, both for features and frequency-of-repair reasons. I was about to buy one but then Costco ran out. The LG WM4000HWA, which they love, is a Best Buy currently at $948.00 - $1,149.98. GE is at the bottom of CR's frequency-of-repair list. As you value your life and your reason, stay away from Samsung.

On the other other hand, the CR user reviews are negative.

quote:

I would NOT buy this washing machine again!
Rated 1 out of 5 stars

Submitted 4 months ago

By Disgusted in Idaho

From Boise, ID

I use this machine for all of our laundry needs. It works fine for bedding and towels, but NOT for permanent press or delicate items. When hanging items up that I don't want going in the dryer, they are so wrinkled that the wrinkles will NOT come out unless you 1) iron the items, or 2) put them in the dryer. This is 2021, not 1921. Both LG and CR missed the mark on this machine. It is obvious the person(s) designing this and the people reviewing this had never had to wash and hang laundry! We are DONE with the LG product line! Our LG refrigerator broke down (compressor) within the first year causing a loss of approximately $300 in frozen foods. To top that, it took 5 days before a repairman could fix it. DONE!!!

Cons
Can't get wrinkles out when hanging up to dry!

How long have you owned it
Three-to-six months

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend to a friend
Was this review helpful to you?
2 months old and I can't get it to finish a load
Rated 2 out of 5 stars

Submitted 4 months ago

By Dirty Cloths

From San Clemente, Ca

5 days for LG to send tech then you have to wait for parts. The website to setup a repair is difficult to get through. Forget about getting anyone on the phone.

Pros
does a good wash when it worked

Cons
2 months and it died

One-to-three months

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend to a friend
Possibly a significant problem
Rated 3 out of 5 stars

Submitted 4 months ago

By Reconsidering

From Boston, MA

We bought this based on CR ratings but are disappointed to learn after purchase that the drain hose is so short that it cannot even drain pipes located to the right side of the washer. Upon contacting the dealer, we learned that LG does not make an extension for its drain hose, so the buyer of this more than $1000 washer and matching dryer which also costs more than $1000 will have to try to locate and to install his own extension. Very poor engineering is the first thought I have about this. How can a company which for years has manufactured washers and dryers not know that the customer's house could have a drain on the right side of a stacked washer / dryer setup? And, CR, did you not consider this? The result, we now need to find and to purchase a generic fix from some other vendor which needs to be clamped and taped to prevent water leaking when the washer drains. If this represents the quality of engineering at LG or the quality or ratings by CR, both need to reconsider what they are doing. I give this three stars only because we cannot even connect it or use it yet.

A month or less

Had it for a month, so far so good
Rated 5 out of 5 stars

Submitted 11 months ago

By Chi_Ill

From Chicago

I got this with the matching "4000" gas dryer from Home Depot and so far it's been working great. Very quiet, seems to do a great job, and extremely customizable. If anything I would almost say it has too many wash options, with even more you can customize and download to the machine. I'm not even sure I need all those or what the real differences are besides quick setting the different wash settings, like water temp and spin speed. I seem to find myself using "Normal" or "Heavy Duty" and then changing it from there as needed. My one complaint is the horrible wifi connection. I know it's not impacting its washing ability, but it was one of the reasons I bought this model advertising its wifi connection. Its 2.4ghz only and super finicky as to what router it will connect to. It would not connect at all to my new AT&T router, so I bought a small $25 TPLink 2.4ghz router just to connect this washer and dryer. This seems to work ok, but the washer will fall off and back on the network at random from time to time. (The dryer does not have this issue). Also the washer is supposed to be talking to the dryer telling it what setting to use, and I think I have that setup correctly, but I've never really seen evidence it works - the dryer just seems to start on "Normal" no matter what. Oh one other thing, I went for the "coolness" factor of the black models, but didn't realize it also has black tinted glass that makes it almost impossible to see inside. I ended up buying 2 lamps that shine in there just for that reason. Everyone loves the look of the black models but not sure I would get them again for that reason.

Pros
Quiet
Wash Options

One-to-three months

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend to a friend
Don't buy if need to pump higher than 4 feet!
Rated 2 out of 5 stars

Submitted 1 year ago

By Brian

From CT

The manual says it will pump up to 96 inches, but it didn't for me. When I called support, they say you can't add an extension to the 5 foot hose and have it work - 5 feet is only 60 inches so it appears to be misleading documentation. So unless you have a low standpipe or going to a adjacent tube, this isn't the best choice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Most old washers and dryers are super repairable. The most expensive part that can usually break is the timer/board. You might try doing some troubleshooting to see what's broken and how expensive it would be to fix before buying new.

I have repaired both my washer and dryer myself several times with nothing more than some basic hand tools. They're not too complicated.

12-year-old washers are not as repairable as 30-year-old washers. There's a good chance (ask me how I know) that you can't find anything electronic the 12-year-old washer needs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I vote for skulls of your enemies. Refill with lye periodically.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There was a big scandal in Charlotte in the '90s when expensive new stuccoed houses had been built without weep screeds, and the sills and studs rotted out. I think Toll House may even have been involved there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp, had a guy come out to haul away the trash, he noticed there was moss on the roof, came down and showed me pictures, and there was definitely a lot of moss that needed to be removed. Today he came back with a ladder, and there are two vent pipes leading to nowhere over the bathroom and the dishwasher. Not connected to plumbing, as far as we can tell not connected to anything. He's going to give me contact info for a general contractor friend who does small jobs, because if the piping's still there we can put a fan in the bathroom and maybe even an exhaust fan in the kitchen.

It's always something.

e: Moss-noticing dude is a licensed contractor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

fyallm posted:

Thanks. Just checked out bluejay and the maximum is so much higher than what I am considering but I still feel like what IM looking at is too high..

I inputed my info into paycheckcity.com and put in my max contributions of 401k and hsa and included taxes..

What % of the net take home pay per month would you consider to be the max or maybe the sweet spot for the mortgage payment? With all the modifications to the custom home I am looking at 35% of net take home pay will be going to my mortgage and that seems steep but is that usual? Like I said I've been living very well below my means for the last ~10 years
As somebody said upthread, don't just look at the mortgage payment. Add a budget for home insurance and property taxes, as well as a budget for home repairs.

The standard rule of thumb is the 28/36 rule. “The 28/36 rule simply states that a mortgage borrower/household should not use more than 28% of their gross monthly income toward housing expenses and no more than 36% of gross monthly income for all debt service, including housing,” However, there are areas where nobody can afford housing unless they break this rule.

Bear in mind that banks will be happy to lend you more money than you can comfortably pay back. I don't mean "can't pay at all", I mean "you'll be left with the bare minimum for all other expenses".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The small original bathroom in the house is awesome; it has a clawfoot tub and the original '30s sink, which is a wallmount. (Sadly, the toilet is a builder-special California ULF that I need to upgrade to one that flushes reliably.) There aren't any cabinets, or any room for them. I'd like to build a small box cabinet around the sink to provide a place for cleaning materials and extra toilet paper.

Is that something a carpenter could do? I was thinking of facing it in beadboard and painting the beadboard to match the walls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What PainterOfCrap said. That bathroom is absolutely beautiful, and may well be a selling point if/when you have to move. It's moved through the dangerous "outdated" valley and is now "classic".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

falz posted:

Maybe you can get by with some quality of life improvements like a tub or sink upgrade and keep floors and walls? It's amazing.
And the built-in toilet paper holder and towel rail. :swoon:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yowza. I was wandering around, as one does, and found this guy who'd restored his house and had a brilliant idea. A house easement. He'd done a lot of work to restore the house to its original condition, and he wanted to make sure that future owners didn't undo his hard work. Fair enough. I get it.

Solution?

quote:

Each character defining feature you want to preserve must be identified and listed in the preservation easement document. Number and description of windows, porches and porch elements, wood siding, and exterior finishes, interior features such as non painted woodwork, antique kitchen sinks, even the land and landscape features that comprise the setting of the building. The character defining features that you worked so hard to protect will be protected when you are gone and/or the building is sold.

Anyone can record a preservation easement in perpetuity on any property by going to a lawyer.

Each time the house ownership is conveyed to another owner, the easement is attached to the deed.
The problem here is how will the easement be enforced?

Who will know that your claw foot tub has been replaced unless the new buyer raises a question?

The answer is that there must be an easement holder.

One large organization is the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The National Trust goes into more detail about Preservation Easements on their site. One stipulation is that the property must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). If your home is not on the NRHP, or does not qualify to be listed on the NRHP, there may be another easement holding organization with less strict criteria.

All this comes with a cost of about several thousand dollars. Understand that yearly visits must be made to ensure all future homeowners are abiding by your easement requirements. A preservation easement is similar to the Farmland Preservation Easement.

I would not buy the most exquisitely restored piece of Steamboat Gothic (what we called it in Indiana; the rest of you can call it Queen Anne) if it came with yearly visits from a third party checking for authenticity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

Reminds of the time that tech gently caress Kevin Rose bought a historically registered Victorian, which was the nicest and oldest in a neighborhood full of nice old Victorians in Portland, quietly had it removed from said register, and made plans to tear it down and replace it with an ugly concrete bunker.
Steve Jobs bought a historic mansion in Woodside with his early Apple money, and basically camped out in it with minimal furniture. Then he decided he wanted to tear it down and build something nice. Woodside said no. So he moved out, did no maintenance, and waited until it fell down, thus letting him build something new.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Based on recommendations from this thread, when I had a partial gut renovation going last year I put in rockwool and I am very happy I did, for soundproofing alone.

For the first half of this sentence I thought I was in the Medical Stories thread and was very confused.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My chest freezer arrived and it fits the space I measured it to fit! :toot: (It's in a doored alcove carved into the back of the outside of house that's used to store things, and yes, the freezer is garage-rated.) I had ordered the darn thing in August. Costco run ahoy!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(A) because that patch is not going to last forever. Permanent fix for a permanent problem, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Some other options:

Van Dyke Restorers https://www.vandykes.com/door-hinges/c/1626/

Historic Houseparts https://www.historichouseparts.com/door-hardware/door-hinges/butt-hinges/

Olde Good Things https://ogtstore.com/antique-door-h...20Hinges&is_v=1

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Posting this here so you can all point and laugh.

I have two annoying shrubs which are being protected from deer by a cage of (now-rusty) galvanized livestock wire. Not chicken wire. The kind with big rectangles to keep (say) a goat out of the garden. I tried cutting the wire with tin snips. I could manage it, barely, but the tin snips couldn't cope with the heavier wire at the top and bottom. So I ordered some bolt cutters.

Today I pulled out the bolt cutters. I realized that the blades wouldn't open. I consulted my son, who agreed that the blades definitely wouldn't open. There was a metal bar across them preventing them from opening. I decided they must have been to protect the blades while shipping, and son and I removed the bolts and bar, carefully placing them to one side. Now the blades wouldn't do anything! They just flopped around.

Then I looked up "parts of a bolt cutter" online and discovered that (A) the bar was supposed to be there and (B) you use bolt cutters by opening them really, really wide, wider than (say) tin snips or pruners. And when I put the bar back on, they worked very well!

Now I am very tired, having managed to free three top-to-bottom strips from the plants . It's slow work because of all the branches that have grown through the cage.

:blush:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

This is kind of what I figured. I’m in agreement about natives- that is what we’ve done slowly with our front garden. The side garden just has a big row of boring stuff that has gotten big (an azalea, the half dead spruce(?), a wintercreeper that I hate).

We’re spending enough on home stuff this year that I was hoping to kick this can down the road but ehhh…
Where are you, and what's your soil like? I'm guessing by the azalea you're somewhere in the South. Spruces won't regrow branches in dead areas, so if it's weird-looking now, it's never going to be unweird. Furthermore, spruces grow big; depending on variety we're talking 50 feet tall or more. IMHO a non-dwarf spruce doesn't belong in a suburban lot. I would argue for taking that puppy out and replacing with a dogwood or redbud, but that's me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Oh I can certainly get repairs and maintenance done, and they’ll happen. I’m just afraid of taking on more than I can handle, or improperly handling what I get, or hiring people to handle it who clearly can’t. Ending up with a leaky roof because of hosed up flashing or a flood because someone drilled through a pipe sounds nightmarish to deal with…and that’s for people who know what they’re doing.

God I hope things don’t take too big of a poo poo when I dive in.
Bear in mind, we all talk about our disasters. I never mention that the electricity works great, that the half-bath added by the previous owner has a booster heater under the sink so that the water runs hot quickly, that the shelving built into a walled-off window is a perfect place for measuring cups.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This might not work for you. I moved to a very small area, and had a great realtor. After we moved in, I got tips from her for electricians, plumbers, a medical practice, and more I misremember. Everybody she recommended was good. It's worth asking your realtor if they have recommendations for construction stuff; they may, because they deal with houses being fixed up for sale all the time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Ya’ll wanna see something horrifying?

Getting a hybrid electric to replace it on Tuesday. Hold together another week there, old girl.

I would say give her a Viking funeral, but. At least pour out a frozen daiquiri for her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You want rose-pruning gauntlets. Leather or a puncture-proof synthetic, and reaching to the elbows. They look like this. https://www.amazon.com/Pruning-Goatskin-Leather-Gardening-Gauntlet/dp/B01K119OAY/?tag=aim-gg1-20 Not endorsing the brand, just showing an example.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Home Zone: injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected

MODS.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I used to keep a list of people I'd called and the date with '"left message". Today I rejiggered the journal. Each repair/maintenance person I need to call gets one line with the contact info, then three blank lines below for me to write in 5/3, 5/10, 5/19 ... because just leaving a message ain't worth poo poo.

I did find out today that the person who'd promised me in November she'd have a slot to reupholster my chairs in January now has ten other projects ahead of me and is working slowly because of illness. Sent off an email to a guy I found on Nextdoor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp, the reupholsterer just wrote me back and said his shop burned down the day after Christmas, it'll be at least three months before he's back in operation. Rough year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does it matter which brand of toilet seat I buy? (pause for chorus of "Not to me, it doesn't!") The toilets are builder's special round-tops, so I don't have to worry about fit issues. I was planning on getting a non-plastic quiet-close and calling it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

also, ymmv but I prefer plastic because it's easier to clean. MDF ("wood") can get very nasty

I associate "plastic" with the thin kind that breaks easily. I'm out-of-date, probably.