Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
The porch on the place I just bought needs power washing and some paint touch-ups at least, but there's also one slat missing on the base of a post that needs replacing:

Are there any steps needed here besides removing the debris, sanding until the wood looks decent, cutting a new piece of wood to size, hammering in, then painting the same as elsewhere? Trying to think through what tools I'll want to get to cut the wood piece - maybe I can get away with a small saw and dremel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
It's going to shock you to hear this but I'm finding home ownership in an expensive city to be expensive.

Boiler acting up, so got quotes to either swap out or change to tankless. Merely $12-15k! Joy.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It sucks, but you might be able to reap benefits of greater efficiency. I had to replace my 1967 boiler a few years and got a Energy Kinetics, went from 3 or 4 fill-ups per year to one every 9 months.

Sadly, this one is from 2011 and is already a 95% efficient. No efficiency gains to be had.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Edit: Wrong thread

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Unbeliavble to me that anyone would want forced air over radiators, especially if it's already got them installed.

If anything I'd be looking at mini-splits, which also serve as AC, and can warm just the room you're currently using rather than wasting energy to heat the entire house. Not dirt cheap but then neither is any HVAC overhaul.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Some of the grout in my shower is old and starting to break away:

Is it paranoid to worry about mold from this? Would a bead of basic silicone caulk do the job, at least for a few years till we redo the shower overall?

Relatedly, the seal seems to have broken on the ornamental piece around the shower's handle:

Water can clearly get through there, too. Same question - any thoughts on what adhesive to use to re-attach/seal it?

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
My condo is the third floor of a triple-decker, with older electrical - we just upgraded from 60 amp service to 150 amp service (per unit) two years ago, with the breaker boxes in the basement. From the 150 amp box, we also have a 60 amp sub-panel in our unit.

We would like to replace our gas stove/range with induction. However, that means we need a new outlet behind the stove with a dedicated 40-50 amp breaker, from my understanding. Currently the outlet behind the stove is just a regular outlet.

I'm fine with hiring an electrician for that, but given the limits of the electrical system, does that seem likely to require a huge-scale undertaking? Would it even be possible to wire to the sub-panel, or are we talking somehow getting a wire from the basement up three floors (along/through the condos we don't own) to ours?

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 16, 2022

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Motronic posted:

That's not gonna come from the subpanel.

How difficult it will be depends entirely on how the existing wiring was installed. It could be as simple as an open cable chase or extra conduit they installed. Or it could be a full on disaster requiring opening up walls all along the path. Nobody here will know.

You should get in touch with whoever is familiar with how this was rewired.

Thanks, but the sub-panel hasn't been rewired, it was there when we bought the place a few years ago (when the unit as a whole only had 60 amp service). There's no way of getting in touch with whoever set up the sub-panel in the first place.

Sounding like it's likely to be way more trouble than it's worth even in the best case, as much as we would like the upgrade, darn. Good to know, though.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
A few months ago, a socket stopped working, so I replaced it.

A shorter time ago, a bathroom overhead dimmer light stopped working, I replaced the dimmer switch but no dice, replacing the overhead light itself worked.

Now I have two different overhead lights not working - one dimmer in another bathroom (but other lights in the bathroom are fine), and an overhead light in a third room. In the third room, the light will come on for a second, flicker off, repeat some before it doesn't work anymore.

This is a condo in an ancient building, so maybe this was all just remodeled at the same time and things are burning out at the same time for that reason, but does it seem likely to be a bigger electrical issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

slidebite posted:

Maybe. Are they on different circuits?

Do you have aluminum wiring by chance?

They're not on the same breaker box switch, is that distinct from circuit? Not sure about aluminum wiring, these lines from the inspection report we got when we bought the place are the best clue I have: