Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
TLDR: I need to design a vanity for this weird wall shape in a bathroom.

Pic

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 15, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cakefool posted:

wormil, honestly that built in counter makes the best of a bad space unless you want to put a free standing oval bath there (and block your closet). Personally I'd say replace it with a tasteful copy, maybe a wider sink, nice taps, big sliding doors on the cabinet below so it's a blank wood or lacquer finish.

I keep getting pushed in that direction and so far I have no better ideas. I'm starting to think about ways to disguise or break up the shape like a break front or different levels, and definitely a wider sink. The sliding door is interesting as I've thought about doing that to the closet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 15, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

peanut posted:

Wormil it's ok to change your mind :ohdear: We like you and want you to have an awesome bathroom <3

Nothing changed on my end. I was hoping for a clever solution to the weird shape problem but there doesn't seem to be one. I would prefer to tear out the bathtub and replace it with a shower. But my wife is fighting me tooth and nail insisting that we must have a bathtub in that room. What the gently caress for I don't know because no one takes baths in this house, we all take showers.

I'm also pissed because somehow my front picture window got broken, no idea how, and that will cost $400-500 to replace. My wife thinks a neighbor kid did it but it doesn't look like an impact to me and it's inside, not outside. It looks like it cracked inside the frame from the bottom up. And I have tree issues $$$$. And this bathroom $$$$. Lately it's one thing after another, or really all at once. I pay rear end tons of money for home insurance and they don't cover anything. I'm really over being a home owner. /rant

Stay single, live at home, that's my advice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been planning on using cpvc for the replacement pipes. Should I reconsider and do PEX? Is there a good resource, maybe on youtube, for installing pex? (I see a ton of videos but not sure if someone has a specific recommendation)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Years ago I bought Kenmore washer and dryer, turns out they were possibly the most common ones ever made and sold by several manufacturers. All the parts are easily replaceable, commonly available, and cheap; plus there are tons of youtube videos on fixing them. There is something to be said for simple. Now if I could only find a refrigerator to match :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't mean to imply that Kenmore was some quality, just that they (mine) are easily and cheaply repaired. There probably isn't anything that can't be replaced with a screwdriver and pliers in about 15 minutes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My experience with my Bosch dishwasher is the same, word for word. I also have a whirlpool fridge but am less happy with it. The ice maker is poo poo and it doesn't regulate temperature. Attempts to repair it have failed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Something to consider about refrigerators. I had a Samsung or LG, I've forgotten which now, at the time it was highly favored. Anyway, the warranty was 12 months. At 13 months it stopped working. There were only 2 authorized repairmen in the state of North Carolina so we had to wait almost 2 weeks for one to show up and he was an incompetent buffoon. Another 2 weeks for the other guy to come and he was highly competent but nothing could be done. Turns out the fridge had almost no replaceable parts so it's replace the entire thing or nothing. The company didn't want to replace it and we had to fight for a couple weeks before they finally gave us a full refund. The repairman told me that no brand is better than any other but that Whirlpool has parts that can be replaced. Well, that's true but we haven't had a working ice maker in 2 years and no one can seem to figure out why. They've replaced everything practically and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't regulate temperature so in the summer I have to turn the setting down, in the winter I have to turn it up or everything will freeze solid. I loving hate modern refrigerators.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

peanut posted:

I never like in-door ice maker/dispensers. They've always been broken or full of algae. We have an internal ice maker. Fill it up once a week and the ice cubes fall down into an ice drawer.

What is the difference between internal and a regular ice maker? Mine makes ice cubes (if it worked) and drops them into an ice drawer, that's the part that is broken. No water gets to the ice maker, probably freezing on the way there. The door mechanism works fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have seen nice wallpaper but removing it sucks so hard. If I ever buy another house, removing any and all wallpaper will be a condition of sale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Soon will be time to outfit my remodeled bathroom. Delta, Moen, Kohler -- about the same, one better than another? Looking for middle of the line quality, something that works and is reliable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well it sounds like Moen or Kohler are the way to go.

Are there any good options for tub/shower walls besides tile?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Budget Dracula posted:

treatment options

Bug killer.

I'm sure some kinds are better than others but I just go to the store and buy what looks good, they all seem to work. About twice a year I spray the perimeter of the house and it is quite effective at keeping crawling insects away. If it were something like termites then you might need to get fancy but they sell poison for those too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a penis, and mastered spraying liquids without getting any on me a long time ago and practice it daily. If bug killer being poison is new to you then you will lose your mind when find out about Off and other bug sprays.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cithen posted:

How much will the propane option hurt my lawn?

You don't have to ignite the propane although I don't know how much it takes to suffocate moles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So how difficult is tiling a tub/shower? The tv shows make it look easy but I know better than that. 60 year old house, I gutted and remodeled the bathroom but the framing around the tub is original. What I'm worried about is getting the cement board nice and flat, my understanding is flat goes a long way toward making tiling easier. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a foam product to go between studs and the cement board to compensate for minor variations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've only used Armstrong laminate flooring and it has served me well. I even left a piece outside to see how it would hold up, better than you would expect. My only advice is do the whole floor at once in the same laminate. It's pretty easy to install.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any thoughts on waterproofing products and bathtub/showers? It's your basic bathtub with shower, cement board walls. I taped all the seams and thinset over them. Then for good measure I applied Redguard over the seams and put several coats of waterproofing cloth and Redguard over and around the shower niche. Should the entire thing be roll brush with Redguard too? Seems like overkill to me considering it will be covered in thinset and tile. ??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I ended up covering the whole thing, not like I had any other use for it. It took about 25% of a gallon for the shower niche, seams, and screw heads; and almost all the rest to do the walls. There is just a little left. I'm glad I doubled coated the seams and screws because rolling it on didn't leave a very thick coat. I'll get started on the tile over the holidays, gonna be plain white subway tile.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

peanut posted:

Are prefab bathrooms uncommon or just unkawaii? Our Toto shower & bath unit is amazing.

I don't think we have those in the States, I had to Google it. Big bathrooms are the fashion here so they probably wouldn't sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Selachian posted:

Is this the place to talk about house pests? Because the wife and I are plagued with flies -- fruit flies, that is. We've bug bombed the house twice, used enough fly spray to ensure everyone in the family gets cancer, and I've killed them in dozens with the vacuum cleaner, but the little bastards keep coming back. We've tried fly traps, both the homemade apple cider vinegar type and the commercially available type, but they don't make enough of a dent in the fly population. Fly strips have worked, but there's still too many of them around. Does anyone out there have other fly fighting tips?

I had this situation and it turned out I had a water leak inside the wall and under the counters. I guess they were living off rotting wood.