Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe a dumb question, but this isn’t a custom storm door right? I can’t remember what I paid but maybe 1200ish for a custom sized storm door and install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it's not visible, go nuts. I have a media closet, but it sucks for wifi, so the line in from the ISP comes into there and into a modem, from the modem, an ethernet cable goes from the closet, into my basement, to another side of my house, and up the floor where you can't see it under a baseboard and behind a buffet where my router lives and is a better location to broadcast the wifi signal from.

I also agree that you should just try seeing how your TV/boxes perform on just wifi before determining they need to be hardwired.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I live in Springfield Delco and there’s this awesome big old house on a nice sized lot on Saxer Ave that obviously has fallen behind on up keep. Some scum bag is trying to sell the lot to a developer for a subdivision of 8 lots.

I’m sure it would be a lot of time and money to fix the house up but I’m going to be really bummed to see it go.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

We're basically clearing out our savings to buy this house so something that could be expensive to fix would be a deal breaker.

Everyone is going to keep on quoting this over and over because this is such a bad idea. You don’t know what’s going to happen, and inspections can easily miss big things. That’s besides the point of appliances going haywire, damage from nature, or expenses in life other than the house like cars or health.

Also the first answer you got is the answer, if there’s any concern a structural engineer should inspect it prior to purchase.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would be careful with delicate old flooring especially if it’s a soft wood. Not the type of thing I personally would want to learn on.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

To start I would recommend asking friend/family for referrals and if you can see the work they did. Angie's list is also free now but referrals also take the cake for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you need layout/rack ideas reddit has a home gym setup sub.

I toy with putting a gym addition on my house but know I can push myself as hard as my coaches do.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don’t know much about blinds but I just put a cordless cellular one (Home Decorators from Home Depot) in a bathroom and I’m pretty sure that’s the exact same brackets they used.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Maybe this is the better thread - is there a security camera/system thread? Someone broke into my house today. Nothing really stolen, which was weird as gently caress, but a bunch of stuff strewn about. Actually, not even that strewn about, like papers were taken out of the drawer but just set on top of the desk instead of thrown everywhere.

They actually only took the leftover paper money I had from various travels around the world. Good luck spending that RMB or Thai baht around here..

I don't know I gently caress with Foscam which people don't trust but I feel like it's relatively easy to set up and you can just use all local storage. If it's an inside cam(s) then you also don't have to worry about their motion detection not being great (I have one inside and one outside and I have to disable the outside one's motion alerts because the tree shadows set it off all day).

Though to go to a full house 4-5 camera solution I'm probably going to go with Arlos because I'm lazy and if the batteries can hold up 3-4 months that's good enough for me, and they have a free cloud storage tier.

Or if you have Comcast you can look into Xfi Home, which doesn't seem bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

couldcareless posted:

So what I'm getting from this cabinet painting discussion is that whenever we decide to look into it, we should hire someone.

No, it’s really not that bad. At worst try one cabinet door and see if you like the results before hiring.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unless of course the table is against a wall in which case a bench on one side works better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also try shoving you phone up there on video and messing with the chain. Just speak out what you’re doing while filming.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They're reassessing all the properties in my county and from what I've read on Facebook/Nextdoor basically everyone has something to correct. For me it's the listing that our attic space is fully finished (it's partially finished), but others have been reporting everything from wrong sq ft. to new bathrooms showing up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

stupid puma posted:

Are you required by law to let assessors into your house where you live? I’ve always denied them access for this reason and force them to guess on what my house is “worth.”

I don't know but I didn't plan on doing that nor do I think they have the ambition to.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That Works posted:

Anyone have any experience with / recommendations on fireplace inserts?

We got a wood burning insert and it was just nice to move to a closed system that can burn unattended — no need to wait for the fire to die to go to sleep. Cost was around $3500.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We really love having them. Tons of trees and poo poo that used to get in there now just sits on top and is way easier to remove.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have really old floors that were refinished and if those areas seems structurally sound my floor guys would have definitely just thrown some filler in the big gouges and called it a day.

They looks in really good shape imo. Also it wasn’t that expensive when they had to source old pine boards to replace and match but those might be a lot easier to get in the philly area.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Ideally you install a box and mount it to that, but all I did was to use 2in screws to firmly mount the bracket into the ceiling plaster. It worked for the previous chandelier and it’s working for the new ceiling fan so far.

Wait you're holding up a ceiling fan with screws fastened to the plaster?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pegboard isn’t a substitute for shelves but it’s a really nice way to have things clean and organized in areas you don’t want shelves eating up depth.

The kitchen cabinet amplify doesn’t hold because usually the stuff you put on peg board does stack well. I have tons of bench space and would just put tools down where there was space and it just looked like poo poo and sometimes I’d have to search under things for tools. Bought a sheet of pegboard and now my table tops are completely cleared of clutter and I knew exactly where everything is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Probably because they’re better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's absolutely not an issue unless you're careless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don’t need to wipe them if you leave the door a little cracked. Just top loader shills looking for straw men.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hi I have a 3200sq ft house and it’s just my wife and I, AMA.

(That number does include a full unfinished basement and an attic with finished space but no dedicated hvac through it all. )

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

“You don’t gently caress with another man’s lawn” is supposed to be the credo we’re all bound to here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been pretty happy with mine I’ve had for 10 years other than the handle getting loose after about 3-4 years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a LG fridge, a GE microwave, a Bosch dishwasher, and a Jenn-Air stove. Other than replacing the magnatron on the microwave and having to swap the mother board on the LG fridge because of a redesign, I haven't had any issues with any of them so maybe I'm lucky?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think I stripped out like 4 Phillips screws yesterday so please continue to get your torx on.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just put heating in the floors that you can control on it's own little thermostat while leaving the crawlspace be.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My youtube is getting flooded by the same two companies that offer epoxy refinishing kits for counter tops. Does anyone have any experience with these? It feels like a really cheap way to get a couple more years of life out of the lovely formica ones I have now but I wonder how fake the faux stone finish looks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah roots are common here too and root-x has completely killed our need for seasonal cleanings.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pretty sure my crown moulding jig will never actually be used.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We went with extremely light grey in all transitional areas / our main living room. Then we went with muted colors in rooms to give them their own personalities, however I like the rooms with pale colors way more than the ones with bold colors.

There's just something that sits really right with me when you combine light grey walls, white trim, and a good wood floor. Whatever.

EDIT: We also had great success with BEHR's Marquee line (their most expensive at Home Depot). Covered extremely well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was about to say I hope you covered literally everything.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Honestly I was a little twitchy about putting in all that effort just to throw a giant rug on it. To each their own, though.

That was sort of my immediate reaction, would have gone with a much smaller rug.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Reminds me of cheap rail station landscaping, not sure I would ever call it modern.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's one of those ceiling-recessed mini splits right? How much room above do they need? Would love to one day have actual climate control in my house.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sirotan posted:

It's hard to tell from your photo but your wall may also have an orange peel texture to it, which you will not be able to replicate with a roller. In that case you'll need to buy the texture in a spray can and spray it on before painting.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-20-oz-Wall-Orange-Peel-Low-Odor-Water-Based-Spray-Texture-4092-06/100154309

I finally tried a bottle of this and it was the magical silver bullet I've needed all my life to have my patches match the heavier orange peel that exists on the walls.

Those patches above look like they need a lot of tlc before that though, more sanding and skim coats of compound.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Texture aside you can see the edges of the spackle are just too hard, you really want to get in there and sand like crazy and try to feather as much as possible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How often do you open those windows? Looks like the have hinges and swing in? Normally I would say roman shade or a compression rod curtain but not sure how much is going to interfere with the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I kind of wonder if a good concrete worker could stamp all that and tint it to look pretty similar for way less. But then again I’ve spent too much time YouTubing concrete stamping and may have purchased a mold for myself...