Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Replaced the dishwasher today and need a place to bitch.

The new unit fits in the old hole; just.
Unfortunately, the back legs rest on the slab obviously but the front legs are so far forward that they are on the tile.
This wouldn't be a problem except that if you extend the back legs the height of the tie; the unit won't fit in the hole anymore.
So it's not precisely level.

At least our old semi-integrated dishwasher had a gear on the front to raise or lower the back foot, but no such luck on the replacement (freestanding) dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but borrow or buy a star picker puller, and use a circular saw (or angle grinder) to cut a notch in the post to fit the tooth.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What do people do to take care of hardwood floors? My apartment has hardwood floors and I'm used to easy-to-clean carpeted floors which just need some vacuuming, but my attempts at dust mopping these hardwood floors have been abysmal, and dust constantly builds up and gets everywhere (e.g. the bedsheets). Swiffer pads don't work too well in my experience, since it just seems to push the dust and hair around and doesn't "lock in" like it claims to. Microfiber cloths have similar results.

What's the typical process to taking care of a hardwood floor? Or is it easier to just put some area rugs down and clean around those?

Get one of these:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Arachnamus posted:

Is there a good bulk way of doing this? I have about 1500 DVDs and the bulk places charge like 85p/disc. I'm familiar with makemkv but doing them all by hand is real :effort:

Throw them all in the bin and when you actually want to watch a movie that you used to own (hint: probably never), download it with a clear conscience.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

stupid puma posted:

Bosch 500 series is the best dishwasher I've used. Only downside is there's not really a good place to put wine glasses securely.

I've bought these little flexible straws that have a hole on one end to poke into the rack and a claw on the other to hold onto the stem. They work OK but not great.
https://shop.quirky.com/products/tether

What I really want is a metal cage. I've seen them in commercial kitchens and can't believe there isn't a 6 or 8 opening version for home use.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Are any of those attachments for power washers actually useful for clearing gutters? Or should I just suck it up and use the ladder and my hands...

Get up on the roof and use a leaf blower?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you want to do heavy things like a dutch oven I would consider using dyna bolts but honestly using more tightly spaced rawls is probably fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Does anyone have any bright ideas before I rip it out and replace with a nest/hive?

Pull out all the batteries from the other themostats and use a SDR to triangulate the 433 MHz signal from the hidden one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Exactly. I'm going to try to convince the wife to go with a non-fitted kitchen next time so I don't have to give money to those blood sucking leeches again - free-standing oven, a big belfast sink, butcher's block and proper cabinets for plates, etc. and a farmhouse table.

This but stainless steel everything and a commercial dishwasher.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Get some pipe clamps.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I need to repave my driveway in the Boston area, so I figure since I'm ripping the thing up anyway, I'd better look in to snow melting options since I have kinda useless renters here that would freak out if they got snowed in.

Electric snow melting is cheap for a single car slot (around $2000 in materials), but if I want to do the whole driveway it scales up to around $8000 in materials (mostly the cables) and probably needs an expensive electrical service upgrade, plus the electric bill would be pretty crazy.

PEX tubing for a full driveway run is much cheaper than the 240v electrical snow melt cable ($50 for 300 feet of PEX, $800 for 300 feet of snow melt cable), so I guess I'd just need to figure out something to circulate gas-heated anti-freeze in a loop. Is there any kind of all-in-one solution for that, if I'm handy on a technical level? Has anyone here done a snow melt system?

That crazy dude that made his own system admitted it's primarily for safety and convenience and not economical.
It also doesn't seem very idiot proof as he has to carefully raise and lower the temp of the slab to avoid cracking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evRox3F_XY

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Breakfast Feud posted:

Next week I'm going to start removing the woodchip insulation in the attic. Anyone have any tips/tricks? Ordered a leaf vacuum after some googling, my original idea was just elbow grease and a snow shovel but everyone online says "no, that's stupid".

I have no experience with woochip insultation; is it literally woodchips like you would put down in a garden bed?
There is no way a leaf vac is going to work.

Get a shopvac. Heck, get two, because you're going to spend a lot of time emptying them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Harik posted:

I asked in the general thread and they directed me here - Solar power.

I'm using a shitload of power due to A) Living in Florida and B) having a family of 8. 1500KWh/mo winter, 2300KWh/mo summer. I don't think the tax credit applies to me due family of 8 nuking my federal tax liability to the point I'd be rolling over everything but a hundred or two a year.

I'm trying not to get scammed because it's a huge deal with multiple competing companies pushing to install solar right now. Lease vs Loan, system sizing, etc. It's a lot to work with.

A lot of the numbers presented are best case/worse case respectively, assuming magical efficiency levels out of the system they're selling and guessing the utility will keep ratcheting up rates well beyond what their historic ramp has been. It's hard to work out a bottom-line number on what it will do to my monthly bills.

See if you can find anyone on pvoutput near you. That gives you real-world figures on how many units you can expect to generate based on a certain size system.

If you use most of your power in the evening then PV won't help you that much. (Unless you have net metering)
I have a 5 kW system that generates 20 units per day long term average, and I export two-thirds of that.
It's still on track to pay itself off after less than 6 years, but from what I hear the terms are much worse in the USA.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

Are you aware that moths eat clothes? If you have moths in your house, you'll end up with holes in all your clothing.

They also eat the money right out of your wallet and when you go to pay for something they'll fly away leaving you in an embarrassing situation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have a sectional and I dislike it. But if you want a L couch you probably don't have much choice.

I will probably try to buy say a 2 and a 3 seater couch in the same style when I replace it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've installed 2x safes 2x times each on a concrete slab with a normal "hammer" drill and a masonry bit. It sucks (especially when you hit rebar) but you can do it eventually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Why is it so hard to run a rag or towel around the seal after washing a load and leaving the door slightly ajar?

For a machine that cleans clothes better and uses less water this isn't that complicated.

I've had my machine for maybe 4.5-5 years and have not had any issues with mold.

I bet you clean your drier vent after every use, too.

(I wish gas driers were a thing here. Gas is a third the price of electricity.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hm so while on floor chat, is there any sort of mid-tier when it comes to ‘floor maintainers/buffers/etc’ between big gently caress-off rental types you get at the hardware store and just scrubbing by hand?

I see cheap chinese floor polishers online for around a hundred bucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sirotan posted:

...you have to hold down the On button with your right thumb the entire time you're using it suckkkkkkkksssssssssss.

I'm amazed how many tools do this. It's really, really dumb.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

peanut posted:

Those little solar powered garden lights are ok for lining a driveway.

They have cheap little solar powered downlights that clip onto your gutters.
Probably not good enough for unlocking your front door* but good enough for walking around without bumping into things.

*I've seen "shed lights" which are a little expensive but they have a decent LED emitter and a motion sensor and then a long wire to a larger PV panel, so you can stick up the light by the entrance where you need it and then put the panel somewhere that it will get sunlight.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Care to share these?

Amazon/ebay/aliexpress/etc.

I would think that some B&M stores would have them too but I'm sure they're all the same - cheap solar cell, crappy AA battery, and a few white LEDs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fallom posted:

I put a vent in the ceiling because my cabinets couldn’t handle a range hood

There Is Always A Way

We had that when I was a kid. It was fine because we had an electric stovetop that couldn't boil an egg.

In my first house I thought I had a really really crappy range hood. Turned out all the fan blades had been snapped off the hubs (HOW?!?!?) so when you turned it on it sounded like it was working but it didn't actually move any air...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

peanut posted:

Every house I visit in California uses upright vacuums and they're so heavy x____x

Absolutely true but I love having the weight over the head.
Plus not having a wand/hose is good.
My kids will just have to get out of vacuuming until they're older...

Unfortunately nobody really makes uprights anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I have a dyson. It's flawed and overpriced.
Not sure what the Sebo is like, but everything else listed looks like trash.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The people who make smoke detectors hate us as evidenced by continuing to use 9V batteries in 2020AD.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Murgos posted:

Any good discussion on fire pits someone could point me to?

The big box store stuff all seems like it’s a 2 year slide into a pile of rust.

Cut down the legs of a Webber kettle and use that? The double flame breeo has good notes on amazon and if it’s a once and done by for $330 that could be good.

Or really, just get some bricks, put em in a circle, maybe with some bricks on the bottom?

Do you have degens in your area who cut 44 (55) gallon drums in half and weld legs on them and sell them on Marketplace for $50?

I did the bricks in a circle trick with concrete garden edging. I put some concrete blocks down first to protect the pavers and then two courses of edging. Dismantled the whole thing when I sold the place.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Our cheap steam mop came with about 5 covers so you can actually cover quite a bit of square footage.
It does a reasonable job in a pinch, however an old fashioned mop and bucket does a better job overall.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Is there a half decent solar powered light out there I could put in my shed for light inside it? I guess same question for an exterior light source? I don't have any power run to it and I will need to replace my entire breaker box at some point to add more circuits so I'll wait until I buy an EV to worry about that.

In the short term I'd like to be able to see inside the shed at night and maybe have a motion sensitive light near the shed or something if I'm in the yard at night.

Edit to say I bought some lovely small motion activated solar led spot lights off Amazon a few years ago and they were awful, quit working, and the solar cells must've had a cheap uv-sensitive resin or epoxy that quickly yellowed and cracked and killed any charging efficiency.

Any solar shed light is going to be crap to actually do work by.
Get a head-mounted lamp and one or more battery powered lights. Your drill battery brand may have one for not too unreasonable a price.
You can also make your own out of MR16 12V retrofit LEDs, or SMD LED strips, and buck converters.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I wasn't planning to work by it, just, say I need to go get my ladder out of the shed after dark, or something.

Oh, then I actually think a cheap solar shed light is going to be fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've had to shopvac the sewer inspection grate twice now to get all the lemons and gravel out of it...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

toplitzin posted:

LG with the linear compressor.

FCKGW posted:

Yes, they're much easier to use and can fit in more spaces. They also let less cold air out if you put your most frequently used items on a single door side.

LG have the "door in door" so you can put your milk, beer and water in a little pocket dimension and access without opening the door at all.
Plus they have mirror finish option.

Edit: whoops, should have read further down before posting.
6 years so far... :ohdear:

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 9, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The diffuser on the LED bulb is just a bit of plastic, you could hack off the end if you wanted.
Might cause a bright spot depending on your luminaire though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Deviant posted:

i like it. it turns my thermostat into a night light when i walk out looking for a snack.

I've always thought that mains smoke detectors should have a low light sensor and a basic 0.5W white LED on them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

My cutlery, which I wouldn't even class as particular fancy, don't even fit through the stupid basket lid holes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Sub Zero fridges are also common because you can get custom panels to match and perfectly blend into your high end cabinetry. I know some other manufacturers have stated offering premium lines that have this feature, but if you're going to pay 2-3x what a standard fridge costs (7K+), you're not going to impress your friends with a KitchenAid.

They have these weird slider clips that you can glue onto any fridge door and hide them behind a matching cabinet.
Although I've never thought that camouflage fridges were somehow more interesting or better than an obvious fridge in a kitchen that was otherwise the same.
(Honestly it's gotta be worse assuming you have people over, same as hidden bin drawers.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

The only excuse I can come up with for this is that a lot of those installations were put in before cheap/effective storage was a thing. But even my uncle had a small battery farm at his remote cabin, and he's had a solar/wind setup for 20+ years.

I can't really fathom the thought process of, "well I'll get solar to reduce my dependency on the grid. Which only works when the sun shines. During the day. While I'm not home."

These days, getting solar/wind/etc. without having storage is just mind boggling given how far battery technology has come. Frankly I can't see how it's effective at either reducing your cost OR your dependence on the grid to do without.

Battery Storage is even less cost-effective than PV.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I put on the dishwasher after dinner, and before I go to bed I open it and turn anything with a lip upside down.
If you want things to actually come out dry then you will want some kind of premium model that offers that as a feature.

BigPaddy posted:

Front load washers still poo poo?

Aren't front-loading washing machines universally regarded as superior?
But the time taken for a cycle is ridiculous.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There is a little bit of a disconnect because a furnace that consumes 3 units of hydrocarbons that cost 10¢ each to warm 3 units of air is roughly as efficient as a heat pump that consumes 1 unit of electricity that costs 30¢ to warm 3 units of air.

(If your grid is mostly nuclear baseload then I can see preferring the heat pump. Same if your favourite hydrocarbon is more than ⅓ or so the cost of electricity.)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 8, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Even when it's hot as balls and there's no AC, a hot shower is nice.

lol
If I wasn't lazy I would go into the roof and insulate my cold water pipes so I could have an actual cold shower in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

You really shouldn't turn on the oven without someone home to supervise it. Crazy, I know.

Nobody is really talking about leaving an oven up to operating temp for a long time while not at home though.
In the pre-heating use case you set it before you leave e.g. work and by the time you get home it will be ready and you'll be there.

-----

As for smart appliances, I can think of plenty of things that would benefit.
I could delay energy-sucking appliances until my PV was generating.
(I can use delay timers to approximate this, but it's not ideal.)

One thing I often can't really put on a timer is air conditioning if I'll be out for a day and don't know when I'll be back.
Often I've thought it would be useful to turn it on before I head home.

My washing machine has a delay timer, but the damned thing starts at 3 hours and can only be incremented from there.

Now the actual state of things is so completely dire that I personally don't have any smart things and I can understand not wanting any.