Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gonna start a crowdfund for the tragic disease namtab has which prevents him from seeing past page 1 of the forum. :rip:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

watch nise

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm gunna watch Patlabor The Movie 2 like two weeks late and post about it to keep this thread on the first page for namtab

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I still need to watch WXIII and MiniPato.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I don't think I'm going to simulwatch the rest of either series. Bakemongatari was alright, but it just didn't hold my interest enough for me to want to continue. And I've watched Patlabor TV too recently to watch it again.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I'll stick with both. I finished Nise earlier this week, and would like to hear what others think about it, because I'm a little confused about it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The future of the simulwatch

So in the past few days I’ve been thinking and talking with the mod and Droyer about how this thread has gone, and what the next steps for the patlabor and –monogatari simulwatches are.

1.) Nisemonogatari
First up, the big issue with the monogatari simulwatch has always been nisemonogatari. It’s the most fanservicey of the seasons. Within this season there are the two worst bits of monogatari as a whole (shinobu in the bath, and araragi brushing his sister’s teeth). In addition the season as a whole can occasionally have a vaguely incestuous feel due to the nature of the show and the fact that the primary focus is on araragi’s sisters.
Having said that though, like every other season nisemonogatari’s plot is important to the monogatari franchise as a whole. El Burbo made a good point in the anime chat thread that no matter how hard I try, written summaries of nise are always going to lose something unless I wind up posting the script. Several new characters will be introduced, including one who is very much a fan favourite. Araragi will learn an important lesson, some characters will have their backstories developed, and overall I feel that the strengths of nise outweigh the problems.
The decision to not include nisemonogatari was taken early on as a solution to a problem that never happened. Prior to making the thread we were worried that the old fashioned “prudes vs pervs” arguments that happened in this forum in the past would have an outlet here. There were definite fears that the worst aspects of the show, like bits of the nadeko arc (which were worse than I remembered) or the running joke with hatchikuji, would lead either to thread arguments or, to be frank, the garnering of attention from other subforums. There is a reason why on other anime forums monogatari talk is straight up banned. Thankfully though that hasn’t happened. I have been delighted with the calibre of posting, both as live reactions and as thoughts about episodes that have happened.
Because these problems have not occurred, the mod and I have agreed that nise will go ahead under the same rules that currently exist. I will be issuing a warning before the worst of it, so you can skip it if you so wish.

2.) Moving forwards
The other big issue to think about has been how to go ahead with two shows moving forwards. Including nisemonogatari there would be a combined total of 133 episodes of anime to cover (71 monogatari, 62 patlabor). To achieve this total in any kind of reasonable timeframe would mean three episodes a day, three days a week for a duration of about 15 weeks. Due to the different nature of both shows Droyer and I were only able to identify one mutual stopping point where we could put the simul on hiatus for a couple of weeks.
I feel therefore, that moving on the simuls should be split. This will allow each to be run at a more sedate pace and allow for more short breaks to mitigate simul burnout. My question to you, the simul participant is would you prefer to see patlabor first, or the remainder of monogatari.

Before the next stage though, smoking crow will be presenting a short simulations of 1980s anims.

Tl;dr: Nise to be simul’d seeing as reasons for not simulwatching it turnout out to be false worries. Patlabor and monogatari to go separately, which do you want to go first?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good news!

I want to see both of these. I'll probably say do Patlabor first, since it's shorter total, and if somebody feels like watching ahead of monogatari to pick up on more details during the simulwatch, it gives them more time to do so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm in more of a hurry to see patlabor, myself.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'm about halfway through Nisemonogatari right now, but I'll still rewatch it to see everyone's reactions and because I'm just liking the monogatari series that much. Still, I'd also vote for watching Patlabor first.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I went back to Nise to look for specific scenes and ended up rewatching half of it, so probably Patlabor.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Namtab posted:

Before the next stage though, smoking crow will be presenting a short simulations of 1980s anims.

Tl;dr: Nise to be simul’d seeing as reasons for not simulwatching it turnout out to be false worries. Patlabor and monogatari to go separately, which do you want to go first?

Hooray for all of this!

I'm fine with any order, it looks like Patlabor is winning the "go first" vote so far and that's fine by me. I'll be watching all the simul'd things, including Crow's.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i fell off of patlabor, so personally i'd like monogatari first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i fell off of patlabor, so personally i'd like monogatari first.

I'm pretty sure you would get workers' comp if you fell off a Patlabor.

• Locked thread