Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

In Training posted:

Bakemonogatari is great as long as your pretend the season finale is just the end of the series.

All Monogatari is great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
rules rules rules

Hmm I'll give these both a shot.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Never seen any -gataris but it sounds cool. I've seen some of patlabor the early days so I'm looking forward to the Patlabor side too.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I haven't watched a mecha show since...Evangelion. Patlabor sounds fun.

I've seen Bakemonogatari enough to know the gist of things, but the Blu-Ray came with character commentaries so I'll take the opportunity to watch those.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush.
So...What? We skip right to second season when we finish the first?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
No, because that's not how this is supposed to work anyway.

Namtab and Droyer approached me with the idea of doing a joint-simulwatch, but the full length of the proposed shows would run for quite some time. I convinced them to hold a smaller simulwatch first, covering merely the first season of Bakemonogatari and the OVA and film continuity of Patlabor. Whether we decide to continue from there or not, this thread will be a stand alone enterprise. Should we continue, a new thread will be cooked up and posted.

And yes, should we move forward, we will be skipping Nisemonogatari - for which I must apologize for the confusion since we sorta forgot to discuss it specifically. A future thread would start off with a brief synopsis covering only the important bits from that season, as much of the rest is deservedly infamous and occasionally reprehensible.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 28, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also we'd start with nekomonogatari (black), not second season

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

No, because that's not how this is supposed to work anyway.

Namtab and Droyer approached me with the idea of doing a joint-simulwatch, but the full length of the proposed shows would run for quite some time. I convinced them to hold a smaller simulwatch first, covering merely the first season of Bakemonogatari and the OVA and film continuity of Patlabor. Whether we decide to continue from there or not, this thread will be a stand alone enterprise. Should we continue, a new thread will be cooked up and posted.

And yes, should we move forward, we will be skipping Nisemonogatari - for which I must apologize for the confusion since we sorta forgot to discuss it specifically. A future thread would start off with a brief synopsis covering only the important bits from that season, as much of the rest is deservedly infamous and occasionally reprehensible.
I might need a full list of these acts of infamy, because I only thought episodes 2 and 8 seemed questionable to me last time around.

Other than that everything sounds like fun.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You'll have to look into that on your own time.

This is the thread for Bakemonogatari.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apologies for the derailment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm surprised at the poll results.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Same. The shameful lack of a comedy option has somehow not resulted in a poll boycott. It's hosed up imo!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jostiband posted:

Same. The shameful lack of a comedy option has somehow not resulted in a poll boycott. It's hosed up imo!

The comedy option is going into the simul thread to vote that you're not watching any of it. :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm surprised at the poll results.

I'm happy that the majority of people are gonna try both, but concerned that a good third of posters are only interested in patlabor

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm happy that the majority of people are gonna try both, but concerned that a good third of posters are only interested in patlabor

Same. Unless you are somehow unable to watch both, I urge everyone to try both shows, even if you don't think they'll be your thing. You might find the other one surprsingly enjoyable! And even if you don't, you can just drop it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

personally, i just rewatched all of -gatari leading up to owari's airing so i'm not feeling watching it all again just yet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

It's easier to coax non-mecha folk into watching a thing with robots, than the other way around.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Blhue posted:

personally, i just rewatched all of -gatari leading up to owari's airing so i'm not feeling watching it all again just yet.

Same, I rewatched most of gatari for owari, so I'm skipping it this time round.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

It's easier to coax non-mecha folk into watching a thing with robots, than the other way around.

Bake is also a fairly popular modern show that more people have probably already seen

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Oh! It's for which you will be watching. Both then. I thought it was a favorite/most hype poll like usual.

I have not seen either show, so whichever show is best will determine who my favorite anime friend is! May the best anime poster win!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mods please make the poll into a namtab vs droyer popularity poll

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

Bake is also a fairly popular modern show that more people have probably already seen

True, but in this case I prefer the more cynical interpretation :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the first patlabor ova is so BORING

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relin posted:

Actually, it's cool and funny, and I encourage people to watch it in this simulwatch, as the patlabor ova and movies are very excellent, and very character-focused so you don't have to worry if you are not as big on robots as droyer

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've seen all of this except Patlabor movies 2 and 3, but I'm going to watch it all again!

Before I watched Patlabor, I already knew that I was going to like it. I liked it a lot.

Before I watched Bakemonogatari, I assumed that I was going to hate it. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, mostly thanks to the witty dialogue and fantastic art direction/style.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, i'll try both of these, why not.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

yeah, i'll try both of these, why not.

Been meaning to try Patlabor at some point, I'll give Bake a try.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Relin posted:

you can just vote the thread a 1 and leave without posting, dude

anyway i'm hyped to watch both of these! Pato is still fresh in my mind but Bake will be a nice refresher (and i look forward to the simul of its other seasons, which i haven't seen)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The first Patlabor OVA has an awesome OP

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Nothing's impossible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://a.pomf.cat/mybuix.webm

The Colonel posted:

Nothing's impossible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

Nothing's impossible.

I didn't realise we were simulwatching Gurren Lagann.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Colonel posted:

Nothing's impossible.

Destiny Basketball

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh Bakemonogatari, it's been far too long...

And I guess I'll give that mecha show a shot or whatever.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Has anyone posted the OP for the first patlabor ova? Is sooo good.

edit: https://youtu.be/fMpI_bc3LrI

V - my bad, webms don't embed with this app.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 29, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Has anyone posted the OP for the first patlabor ova? Is sooo good.

A whole four posts above you. :v:

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm like 5 episodes away from finishing rewatching the TV series but I am down for more Patlabor. I'm especially looking forward to discussing the movies and finally working up the nerve to watch WXIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I haven't seen patlabor, so I'm looking forward to seeing that, especially given the comparisons to Active Raid from the last season (mostly "Why am I watching this poo poo, shouldn't I be watching patlabor instead?"). That said, beyond that sentiment, I know absolutely nothing about the show.

On the other hand, I have watched and greatly enjoyed all of Monogatari (including Nise), so it'll be interesting to see where new viewers go with it. I had also been promising myself to watch it again since the most recent season aired, so that will be fun too.

I've got no idea how they line up with one another, but in short: I'm in.

• Locked thread