Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WXIII is the only Patlabor thing I think is just plain bad, and when I say that I don't consider the tv series one thing, I am considering each episode of it individually.

Neither of the new characters are interesting. While SV2 isn't the most complex set of characters, they're all quirky and memorable. The detectives in WXIII are just bland and boring.

While Patlabor 2 is very heavy and somber, it still has a happy, if bittersweet ending and the final line of the movie is optimistic and uplifiting. Throughout the entire movie WXIII is just cynical and bleak, and the ending cements it as a tragedy. The girl dies, several of the people involved in the incident get away scott free and the truth is covered up. It is also far more violent than anything else Patlabor. While that isn't necessarily bad in itself, by making itself part of the patlabor franchise it invites comparison to the rest of the franchise and ultimately it just doesn't fit.

Even ignoring how it fits into Patlabor as a whole I don't think it's that good. they copied the investigation scenes from the first film but here they aren't as visually interesting, give the same kind of insight into the culprit as it did in the first film, and they go on for way too long so by the end I just wish they would get on with it. I also feel it revealed its hand too early with the monster to work as a horror movie and it was way too easy to figure out who was behind it for it to work as a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The credits just rolled and I'm full of "meh."

It seemed like a mediocre sci-fi monster flick with a grand total of 5 minutes worth of cameos by Patlabor characters, who have been drawn by someone who doesn't like the Patlabor characters. There were a few really good action scenes, but the plot was a mess and just hinged on crazy scientist lady somehow being able to make this abomination by herself. I'm confused about some of the unexplained things that didn't make any sense (For example, why was the monster suddenly wearing a hollowed-out Labor half way through the movie?!), the main characters are both pretty dour, boring police detectives, and the movie never gripped my attention except for the scene where we first meet the monster. That was good horror stuff though!

I normally don't post about movies/shows if I don't have anything good to say about them, but I have a problem with this movie calling itself "Patlabor" when it's totally not. It would be the same movie if the robots at the end were non-Patlabor designs piloted by faceless police officers and none of the Patlabor characters ever showed up. It's set in the Patlabor universe (Babylon project, reclaimed land in Tokyo harbor, environmentalist protest to the development), but none of that actually mattered at any point in the movie.

I'm still glad that I watched it so apologies for the grumpy-sounding post. 7/10 art (lost points for making Noa look stupid), 5/10 plot, 3/10 characters.

I can't wait for Patlabor TV which is way more entertaining IMO!

Edit: Just read your post Droyer and yeah, agreed.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 30, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

The credits just rolled and I'm full of "meh."

It seemed like a mediocre sci-fi monster flick with a grand total of 5 minutes worth of cameos by Patlabor characters, who have been drawn by someone who doesn't like the Patlabor characters. There were a few really good action scenes, but the plot was a mess and just hinged on crazy scientist lady somehow being able to make this abomination by herself. I'm confused about some of the unexplained things that didn't make any sense (For example, why was the monster suddenly wearing a hollowed-out Labor half way through the movie?!), the main characters are both pretty dour, boring police detectives, and the movie never gripped my attention except for the scene where we first meet the monster. That was good horror stuff though!

I normally don't post about movies/shows if I don't have anything good to say about them, but I have a problem with this movie calling itself "Patlabor" when it's totally not. It would be the same movie if the robots at the end were non-Patlabor designs piloted by faceless police officers and none of the Patlabor characters ever showed up. It's set in the Patlabor universe (Babylon project, reclaimed land in Tokyo harbor, environmentalist protest to the development), but none of that actually mattered at any point in the movie.

I'm still glad that I watched it so apologies for the grumpy-sounding post. 7/10 art (lost points for making Noa look stupid), 5/10 plot, 3/10 characters.

I can't wait for Patlabor TV which is way more entertaining IMO!

it wore the robot because it destroyed it earlier on in the movie and the wreckage got stuck to it. How the characters knew that beforehand (which they did, because they brought it up in the meeting) is anyone's guess though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

it wore the robot because it destroyed it earlier on in the movie and the wreckage got stuck to it. How the characters knew that beforehand (which they did, because they brought it up in the meeting) is anyone's guess though.

Hah, I never noticed it getting stuck in the Labor wreck. I think they saw it wearing the armor later when they used the underwater flare (which somehow lets them see through 50+ meters of murky Tokyo Bay water, yeah right).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think I can reveal now that part of why I squeezed in MiniPato tomorrow is that I didn't want the simul to end on a sour note. So with that said, I hope everyone joins me tomorrow for the end of the simulwatch!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
those sure were a pair of screenplays that were slightly rewritten to include patlabor characters

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Blhue posted:

those sure were a pair of screenplays that were slightly rewritten to include patlabor characters

WXIII maybe, but Patlabor 2 was a refinement of an already existing Patlabor story.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

One hour left!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm starting the minipato now, almost forgot!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That was very cute and funny, especially the last one about Goby addiction. Neat animation style too, mimicking a paper-cutouts-on-sticks puppet show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

i was gonna make a post about the end of the simul, but i'll probably wait since everyone seems to have forgotten there was a thing today.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIsASh5P2U

here's an interview with kenji kawai, who composed the music for the patlabors. he doesn't actually talk about patlabor (mainly ghost in the shell, although he also namedrops windy tales) but its still interesting! you can get subtitles by clicking the cc button

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I know I missed the last few days, but I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed this simulwatch. I dunno if I'm desperate to see more Monogatari, but I enjoyed watching what I did quite a bit, and I'll definitely be down for more Patlabor whenever that comes around.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Ugh finally caught up after being behind about a week. Nothing to say about the first two movies really, I've already seen them tons of times and they both own.

But seeing the third movie for the first time... You know, aside from the out of place violence and gore I thought it was ok. Well... Up until the climax anyway. A cancer monster with tits lured to its death via a recording of a piano recital. Then a surprisingly realistic shot of a woman suiciding and smacking into the ground, great shot of her corpse bleeding out too. Classic Patlabor.

Nice animation at least.

Minipato was neat!

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 2, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Now that the simul has properly ended I have a question for you all: While I personally feel that this simulwatch was a success, the planned second part of the simul (containing the rest of -monogatari and the tv continuity of Patlabor) will be quite a bit longer, and because of its length probably faster-paced as well. Basically what I'm asking is if you feel that you could keep up with the longer simul. Both Namtab and I are excited to continue, but I feel it would be a shame if it just petered out a bit of the way through.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Now that the simul has properly ended I have a question for you all: While I personally feel that this simulwatch was a success, the planned second part of the simul (containing the rest of -monogatari and the tv continuity of Patlabor) will be quite a bit longer, and because of its length probably faster-paced as well. Basically what I'm asking is if you feel that you could keep up with the longer simul. Both Namtab and I are excited to continue, but I feel it would be a shame if it just petered out a bit of the way through.

As I said before, I'm not sure I have any burning desire to see more Monogatari, so I'd probably be pretty quiet on those nights. I'd be there all the way for Patlabor, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the next simul is when you'll be getting into the best stuff of both series, so i recommend watching more monogatari then if you enjoyed what you've seen at all

i like monogatari in general but second season has the parts i really love and ends on a really great arc, though a small bit of the arc is going to be confusing if you haven't watched nise. the arc that chronologically leads into it is also extremely good

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 2, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wouldn't be able to keep up

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the next simul is when you'll be getting into the best stuff of both series, so i recommend watching more monogatari then if you enjoyed what you've seen at all

i like monogatari in general but second season has the parts i really love and ends on a really great arc that focuses around the relationship of two of the most interesting characters, though one of them is going to sort of come out of nowhere if you're skipping nise

On this note: I like the Patlabor movie continuity, but the TV continuity is what made it my favorite anime.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Davincie posted:

i wouldn't be able to keep up

Same.
I already failed at keeping current on this one, so I think I'll watch them in my own time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

I'm up for it, though I will miss most Fridays and have to catch up over the weekends.

I'm going to watch all these things with or without the simul (I'm already rewatching Nise in preparation since we can't simul it), but having a consolidated place and time to talk about them is really cool.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'm going to start watching Nisemonogatari on my own since it's too :airquote: scandalous :airquote: for a simulwatch, so I don't think I'll be able to keep up if things continue. Still, I do appreciate the fact that you guys got me started on the Monogatari series in the first place, and for getting me to rewatch Patlabor. I can appreciate the movies much more now than when I first watched them, especially knowing what I know now about Japan's economic boom of the 80s and some of the problems and controversies that came with it. This was the first time I'd seen the third movie, and I'd like to think that I would have been enjoyed it more if I hadn't spent most of the movie asking where the cast went.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Command Ant posted:

I'm going to start watching Nisemonogatari on my own since it's too :airquote: scandalous :airquote: for a simulwatch, so I don't think I'll be able to keep up if things continue. Still, I do appreciate the fact that you guys got me started on the Monogatari series in the first place, and for getting me to rewatch Patlabor. I can appreciate the movies much more now than when I first watched them, especially knowing what I know now about Japan's economic boom of the 80s and some of the problems and controversies that came with it. This was the first time I'd seen the third movie, and I'd like to think that I would have been enjoyed it more if I hadn't spent most of the movie asking where the cast went.

well we'll be taking a break either way, we won't start tomorrow or anything, you'll have time to watch nise either way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jostiband posted:

Same.
I already failed at keeping current on this one, so I think I'll watch them in my own time.

:same:

I could probably do a Patlabor TV "simul" watch but it would have to be 2-3 episodes per week with no live viewing for me to keep up, absolutely tops. I couldn't do anything more, and I still haven't managed to find the time to watch WXIII or MiniPato.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Everyone watch Nisemonogatari and post about it in this thread.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm very disappointed no one just started watching Nise and started posting about it during Patlabor movie week.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I think I'm going to watch Patlabor TV either way, so I'll hold out on it for now. It was tough keeping up this time though and I don't know if that'll change.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dzhay posted:

Everyone watch Nisemonogatari and post about it in this thread.

Done

It's good

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Episode 1 of Nisemonogatari has a Read or Die reference, and it made me want to watch Read or Die again.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

I'm going to be precise here. Both Droyer and I have every intention of showing off the remainder of our shows in future simulwatch form, after a break of 1 month. Having run the numbers there are 60 episodes of monogatari things remaining, and 62 episodes of patlabor. A combined simulwatch run at 3 episodes a night, 3 nights a week would run for a further 14 weeks. If we ran in this manner we would take a fortnight's break after week 6. Neither of us have given any thought as to what an individual thread would look like, but I imagine each thread would run for about 10 weeks with less eps per night.

I have a couple of questions for everyone who took part in this simul:

1.) Did you like having the two shows shown off in a single thread, would you be interested in a combined thread for the rest of the shows?

2.) Are the current timings working for you? I'm aware that Mon-Wed-Fri at 12PM BST is tricky for the americans, would different days make things better?

3.) Thoughts about each show. Did you like it, are you interested in seeing more of it.

I'm not going to be presenting nise, but if you want to keep up with monogatari there are plot important things within that show. To that end I will be posting plot summaries of three episodes a week for the next 4 weeks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Command Ant posted:

Whenever poochie is not on the screen the other characters should be asking "where's poochie"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

I'm not going to be presenting nise, but if you want to keep up with monogatari there are plot important things within that show. To that end I will be posting plot summaries of three episodes a week for the next 4 weeks.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

On what days and at what times will this totally-not-a-simulwatch be occurring?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dzhay posted:

On what days and at what times will this totally-not-a-simulwatch be occurring?

It's not a simulwatch, so I don't have a schedule

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
That's a shame. For anyone here who's planning on watching the rest of Monogatari, I'd recommend seeing Nise even if there's not a simulwatch for it. It's really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

man the visual style of minipato is very charming but the actual content is really boring. i was hoping for sol stuff or something not explanations of technical aspects of the in show universe

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Saying plot important things happen in Nise is an understatement. Three extremely important characters are introduced, including one the best characters in the entire series. Also one character has Very Significant development. A plot summary will in no way help you understand any of these characters or their mannerisms unless the plot summary is "I posted the script of the show word for word", might as well just read the summaries on wikipedia instead of waiting weeks for namtab to write something. All in all, if you skip Nise you are only causing confusion for yourself and doing yourself a complete disservice if you plan to continue watching the show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

El Burbo posted:

Saying plot important things happen in Nise is an understatement. Three extremely important characters are introduced, including one the best characters in the entire series. Also one character has Very Significant development. A plot summary will in no way help you understand any of these characters or their mannerisms unless the plot summary is "I posted the script of the show word for word", might as well just read the summaries on wikipedia instead of waiting weeks for namtab to write something. All in all, if you skip Nise you are only causing confusion for yourself and doing yourself a complete disservice if you plan to continue watching the show.

El Burbo said with a posed look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

might as well say this at the end: I came in here knowing next to nothing about bakemonogatari but ended up enjoying it quite a bit, would watch more. And the current scheduling speed was good, but i pretty much never watched it on time anyway, so doesn't really matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQ4cdCM6JU

• Locked thread