Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Welcome to Liberty or Death, the newest COIN game by GMT!

GMT Games posted:

Liberty or Death—The American Insurrection is a board game about the American Rebellion from 1775 to 1783. It adapts GMT Games' COIN series game system about modern insurgencies to depict the political, military, and economic affairs of the conflict for the British Colonies in America.

In Liberty or Death, one to four players take the roles of one or more Factions in North America: the British attempt to suppress a distant insurrection throughout a massive region and across the sea; the Patriots try to incite rebellion through the population while fighting the British on their own terms; their Indian rivals cooperate with the British to limit the Patriots' growth in and beyond the Colonies; and the French strive to confound the British in North America.

Useful links:

In this game, two Goon teams will play as the Patriots and the French (together, the Rebellion) against an AI-controlled team of the British and Indians (together, the Royalists). The Patriots and French share similar objectives – to keep the population of the Cities and Colonies in opposition to British rule, while the Patriots are looking to drive back the Indians on the frontiers by building forts and destroying Indian villages, whereas the French are seeking to stick it to the British and keep their focus away from Europe by inflicting British casualties while minimizing Rebellion casualties.

This will be a voting game, so before we begin, please declare your allegiance to the Patriots or the French. Each turn, when a goon-controlled team is Eligible, those who have declared for a team will vote on their side's actions, which I will then execute. When AI-controlled teams are up, I will execute their orders according to the game's included non-player rules. Because the non-player bots get some extra bonuses (their commands are never limited, for example), it should be a challenge!

I'll be using the VASSAL Module to run the game, and we'll be doing the full scenario, A People Numerous and Armed, with period events from 1775 to 1780. I'll generally try to keep things moving at around a play per day or so.

If you're interested in being a Patriot, respond in bold with "Join, or Die!"

If you'd rather be a Frenchman, respond with "Honneur et Patrie!"

Feel free to be generally goofy and respond "in-character" if you want, since that keeps things funny and interesting. I'll try to add a little bit of fluff to my posts too.

We'll start actual play whenever we have enough players! Also, if you're reading this after the game has started, feel free to declare a side and jump in. The more the merrier!

Current Officers of the Rebellion:

The Patriots:
  • COOL CORN
  • Davin Valkri
  • Majumbo
  • Caedar

The French:
  • sullat
  • JcDent
  • Lord Frisk
  • Tias

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Honneur et Patrie! Eh, we are just sticking it to ze British. These Americans will have their own king, we have a spare Bourbon or two to lend them if zey need one. I see no potential drawback to an absolutist monarchy supporting a republican insurrection.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Honneur et Patrie! hon hon hon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Join, or Die! :911:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Eh, why not. Join or die!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Honneur et Patrie. I may not be present for all votes, but I'll be damned if we cant steer this sinking monarchist ship into a valiant port.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bring on the baguette :dong: "Honneur et Patrie!"

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The sun never shined on a cause of greater worth, Join or Die!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The game will begin soon! I've updated the first post to include all the declared combatants.

To war!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Honneur, et Patrie!

We shall show those perfidious Englishmen who's the boss of the new world!

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 3, 2016

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Join, or Die!

No taxation without representation; no victory without democracy.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The War Begins!

Current Card:

Appointed Minister of War by Louis XVI in 1775. He sought to reduce the number of officers and to establish order and regularity in the service. His efforts to introduce Prussian discipline in the French army brought on such opposition that he resigned in September 1777.

Upcoming Card:

Prime Minister of Great Britain and Whig statesman known for his popular appeal, his opposition to corruption in government, and his support for the colonial position in the run-up to the American Revolution.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French Choose:
  • Command Only, No Special Activity
  • Command and Special Activity
  • Event
Frenchmen, make your case!

Patriots, yell at the French about how they should do what you want instead!

(NB: I'll let voting run until I hear from everyone or 12 or so hours have passed. I want to keep the game moving, and on average I'd like to shoot for 1 "full turn" per day.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well, obviously, the French should use Roderigue Hortalez et Cie, since that helps everybody! And we can fight in their stead while they're still mustering.

Tias
May 25, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Well, obviously, the French should use Roderigue Hortalez et Cie, since that helps everybody! And we can fight in their stead while they're still mustering.

Quiet you 6th columnist googly-eyed weaverman! The French think best on their own :iamafag:

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: Nm, I get it now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyway, I vote, and would encourage the lot of you to vote, Roderigue Hortalez et Cie, since boosting patriot meatshiel assets is in the foremost interest of the Crown.

Also, let it be known that we came to the decision on our own :hehe:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I tried reading the rules and didn't get it, so I support Tias' vote, unless a comedy option arises.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

I tried reading the rules and didn't get it, so I support Tias' vote, unless a comedy option arises.

Unless I'm much mistaken, we can't use our military assets yet, so picking the event (move 5 regulars from unavail to available) doesn't do anything. Thus, we might as well boost guerilla assets, so they can keep the fight going till the Treaty of Allegiance is signed.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tias posted:

Unless I'm much mistaken, we can't use our military assets yet, so picking the event (move 5 regulars from unavail to available) doesn't do anything. Thus, we might as well boost guerilla assets, so they can keep the fight going till the Treaty of Allegiance is signed.

You can't, but it does increase French preparations and move you that much closer to playing the Treaty of Alliance, which requires 15 French Prep, allowing you to actually enter the war and use your assets. Either way, I'll resolve in the next little bit unless I hear from the others.

If you do want to use RHeC, let me know how many you'd like to use for the transfer.

Tias
May 25, 2008

How many can we spend? How many do we have?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm totally green to these games as well.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tias posted:

How many can we spend? How many do we have?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm totally green to these games as well.

It's all good, they're pretty clunky before you get used to the flow of them. Right now the French have 5 resources, and can spend any amount of them to give the Patriots that number +1 using RHeC. The Counter that runs along the left-hand side of the board indicates current resources, which stand at:

French: 5
Patriots: 3
British: 7
Indians: 0

For the record I'll run through the rest of the pieces tracked on the side, as well:

Total Opposition: 4
Total Support: 3
French Prep: 0
Cumulative British Casualties (CBC): 0
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 0

e: Honestly this PDF is the best explanation of the various options available for each faction, probably better than the one included in the game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129690/arthurs-aid-faction-overviews-commands-sas-battle

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 5, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Athaboros posted:

e: Honestly this PDF is the best explanation of the various options available for each faction, probably better than the one included in the game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129690/arthurs-aid-faction-overviews-commands-sas-battle

Holy crap that's nice. Gonna print it out to play with at home. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Athaboros posted:

Total Opposition: 4 - the total region/city populations that are under Patriot control
Total Support: 3 - the total region/city populations that are under British control
French Prep: 0 - Number of fleets available + number of units available + British casualties, once it hits 15, the French can enter the way
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 0 - these are both the cumulative number of units that have died on either side. Cubes are generally worth 2, cylinders are generally worth 1

And just so that it's understood - I've added annotations. That's all from memory so I could be off a little.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

And just so that it's understood - I've added annotations. That's all from memory so I could be off a little.

This is pretty close, yeah. I'd revise to be something along the lines of:

Total Opposition: 4 - the total region/city populations that have passive or active opposition to British rule (passive = city/region population, active = pop x 2)
Total Support: 3 - the total region/city populations that have passive or active support for British rule (passive = city/region population, active = pop x 2)
French Prep: 0 - Number of fleets available + number of units available + British casualties, once it hits 15, the French can enter the way
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 0 - these are both the cumulative number of units that have died on either side. Each (including forts) counts as 1 for purposes of CRC/CBC, but have different weights during battles (Continentals and French Regulars absorb 2 losses, while militia absorb 1)

For the record, opposition can be increased by events, Patriot Rabble-rousing, as the result of a decisive battle victory (esp. with Washington); the French can reduce support by increasing Naval Intervention and blockading British ports (after the Treaty of Alliance). Patriots can also make it harder for British to increase support by using actions that place Propaganda markers, like Rabble-rousing and Persuasion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the clarification - I blanked on it being the total support/opposition and not the control. Whoops!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I also vote to transfer funds to the Patriots.... for now. We should be looking to enter this war as soon as possible so as to actually impact the game rather than fluff the Patriot lines.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks for the clarification - I blanked on it being the total support/opposition and not the control. Whoops!

Somewhat counterintuitively I guess, control doesn't really matter for the victory conditions, as long as support/opposition are in a side's favor. Control only really matters for the Winter Quarters phase, where pieces may need to move out of uncontrolled spaces. Also during WQ, the French get resources for cities that aren't under British Control, whereas the Brits derive their resources from cities they do control (and thus they really focus heavily on controlling them). Also, some of the Commands and Special Activities depend on a space's control status.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Sounds like the French are unified in their commitment to send the Patriots resources!

French use the Command Roderigue Hortalez et Cie!

So:

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French:
  • Decide how many resources to send using RHeC
  • Additionally, use the Special Activity Préparer la Guerre?
  • (if so, choose: add 2 French resources, move 3 Regulars from Unavailable to Available, or move 1 Squadron to the West Indies)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frenchmen! How much money do we lend to our filthy colonial comrades? I vote 2 resources. Ought to be enough to get them through for a round or two.

Then we should use Preparer la Guerre to gain some available units, bringing us closer to being in the fight. Next turn we should try to get resources and spend them all towards getting us into this fight.

e: I changed my mind on this one. gonna try to get available forces.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 5, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
As the de facto leader of the Patriot rebellion (although we can have an election if need be, this is a democracy after all!) I would say 2 resources is fair and kind of the French.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COOL CORN posted:

As the de facto leader of the Patriot rebellion (although we can have an election if need be, this is a democracy after all!) I would say 2 resources is fair and kind of the French.

Considering you'll get 3 resources (due to the exchange rate of the mighty Franc (Did they use a Franc then?)) for our 2, it seems like the best plan.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Lord Frisk posted:

Considering you'll get 3 resources (due to the exchange rate of the mighty Franc (Did they use a Franc then?)) for our 2, it seems like the best plan.

I'll execute this in a sec, if we're in agreement. Do the French want to do PlG as a Special activity, or just RHeC?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My American friend, we could not have asked for a more fortuitous start to this glorious campaign. If you persuade your congress to vote to take the Event, I can assure you that our King will be more loose with the royal funds in coming rounds.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My vote is obviously in, though if I am forced to act alone, I say we take the special activity and move our forces to available.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

My American friend, we could not have asked for a more fortuitous start to this glorious campaign. If you persuade your congress to vote to take the Event, I can assure you that our King will be more loose with the royal funds in coming rounds.

The French have been nothing but good to us. We are in agreement.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The French execute the command Roderigue Hortalez et Cie, with the special activity Préparer la Guerre!

French resources decrease by 2; now at 3.
Patriot resources increase by 3; now at 6.

3 French Regulars move from Unavailable to Available; now at 3.
French Prep increases to 3!

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Patriots choose:
  • Limited Command, Event, or Pass?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Patriots will take the event to help out our French brothers.

I'm happy to wait on Davin Valkri/Majumbo/Caedar's input, this isn't a Monarchy.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COOL CORN posted:

this isn't a Monarchy.

This poo poo is, and it will last for 1000 years! Nothing bad could happen to the King of France!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

COOL CORN posted:

Patriots will take the event to help out our French brothers.

I'm happy to wait on Davin Valkri/Majumbo/Caedar's input, this isn't a Monarchy.

They can declare open war at 15 total available units, right? Sure, why not; with the event they're more than halfway there, and both British and Indian act before us on the next card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

They can declare open war at 15 total available units, right? Sure, why not; with the event they're more than halfway there, and both British and Indian act before us on the next card.

That was my thought. The quicker we can get the French in the war, the better for us.

• Locked thread