Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Welcome to Liberty or Death, the newest COIN game by GMT!

GMT Games posted:

Liberty or Death—The American Insurrection is a board game about the American Rebellion from 1775 to 1783. It adapts GMT Games' COIN series game system about modern insurgencies to depict the political, military, and economic affairs of the conflict for the British Colonies in America.

In Liberty or Death, one to four players take the roles of one or more Factions in North America: the British attempt to suppress a distant insurrection throughout a massive region and across the sea; the Patriots try to incite rebellion through the population while fighting the British on their own terms; their Indian rivals cooperate with the British to limit the Patriots' growth in and beyond the Colonies; and the French strive to confound the British in North America.

Useful links:

In this game, two Goon teams will play as the Patriots and the French (together, the Rebellion) against an AI-controlled team of the British and Indians (together, the Royalists). The Patriots and French share similar objectives – to keep the population of the Cities and Colonies in opposition to British rule, while the Patriots are looking to drive back the Indians on the frontiers by building forts and destroying Indian villages, whereas the French are seeking to stick it to the British and keep their focus away from Europe by inflicting British casualties while minimizing Rebellion casualties.

This will be a voting game, so before we begin, please declare your allegiance to the Patriots or the French. Each turn, when a goon-controlled team is Eligible, those who have declared for a team will vote on their side's actions, which I will then execute. When AI-controlled teams are up, I will execute their orders according to the game's included non-player rules. Because the non-player bots get some extra bonuses (their commands are never limited, for example), it should be a challenge!

I'll be using the VASSAL Module to run the game, and we'll be doing the full scenario, A People Numerous and Armed, with period events from 1775 to 1780. I'll generally try to keep things moving at around a play per day or so.

If you're interested in being a Patriot, respond in bold with "Join, or Die!"

If you'd rather be a Frenchman, respond with "Honneur et Patrie!"

Feel free to be generally goofy and respond "in-character" if you want, since that keeps things funny and interesting. I'll try to add a little bit of fluff to my posts too.

We'll start actual play whenever we have enough players! Also, if you're reading this after the game has started, feel free to declare a side and jump in. The more the merrier!

Current Officers of the Rebellion:

The Patriots:
  • COOL CORN
  • Davin Valkri
  • Majumbo
  • Caedar

The French:
  • sullat
  • JcDent
  • Lord Frisk
  • Tias

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The game will begin soon! I've updated the first post to include all the declared combatants.

To war!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The War Begins!

Current Card:

Appointed Minister of War by Louis XVI in 1775. He sought to reduce the number of officers and to establish order and regularity in the service. His efforts to introduce Prussian discipline in the French army brought on such opposition that he resigned in September 1777.

Upcoming Card:

Prime Minister of Great Britain and Whig statesman known for his popular appeal, his opposition to corruption in government, and his support for the colonial position in the run-up to the American Revolution.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French Choose:
  • Command Only, No Special Activity
  • Command and Special Activity
  • Event
Frenchmen, make your case!

Patriots, yell at the French about how they should do what you want instead!

(NB: I'll let voting run until I hear from everyone or 12 or so hours have passed. I want to keep the game moving, and on average I'd like to shoot for 1 "full turn" per day.)

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tias posted:

Unless I'm much mistaken, we can't use our military assets yet, so picking the event (move 5 regulars from unavail to available) doesn't do anything. Thus, we might as well boost guerilla assets, so they can keep the fight going till the Treaty of Allegiance is signed.

You can't, but it does increase French preparations and move you that much closer to playing the Treaty of Alliance, which requires 15 French Prep, allowing you to actually enter the war and use your assets. Either way, I'll resolve in the next little bit unless I hear from the others.

If you do want to use RHeC, let me know how many you'd like to use for the transfer.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tias posted:

How many can we spend? How many do we have?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm totally green to these games as well.

It's all good, they're pretty clunky before you get used to the flow of them. Right now the French have 5 resources, and can spend any amount of them to give the Patriots that number +1 using RHeC. The Counter that runs along the left-hand side of the board indicates current resources, which stand at:

French: 5
Patriots: 3
British: 7
Indians: 0

For the record I'll run through the rest of the pieces tracked on the side, as well:

Total Opposition: 4
Total Support: 3
French Prep: 0
Cumulative British Casualties (CBC): 0
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 0

e: Honestly this PDF is the best explanation of the various options available for each faction, probably better than the one included in the game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129690/arthurs-aid-faction-overviews-commands-sas-battle

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 5, 2016

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

And just so that it's understood - I've added annotations. That's all from memory so I could be off a little.

This is pretty close, yeah. I'd revise to be something along the lines of:

Total Opposition: 4 - the total region/city populations that have passive or active opposition to British rule (passive = city/region population, active = pop x 2)
Total Support: 3 - the total region/city populations that have passive or active support for British rule (passive = city/region population, active = pop x 2)
French Prep: 0 - Number of fleets available + number of units available + British casualties, once it hits 15, the French can enter the way
Cumulative British Casualties (CBC): 0
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 0 - these are both the cumulative number of units that have died on either side. Each (including forts) counts as 1 for purposes of CRC/CBC, but have different weights during battles (Continentals and French Regulars absorb 2 losses, while militia absorb 1)

For the record, opposition can be increased by events, Patriot Rabble-rousing, as the result of a decisive battle victory (esp. with Washington); the French can reduce support by increasing Naval Intervention and blockading British ports (after the Treaty of Alliance). Patriots can also make it harder for British to increase support by using actions that place Propaganda markers, like Rabble-rousing and Persuasion.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks for the clarification - I blanked on it being the total support/opposition and not the control. Whoops!

Somewhat counterintuitively I guess, control doesn't really matter for the victory conditions, as long as support/opposition are in a side's favor. Control only really matters for the Winter Quarters phase, where pieces may need to move out of uncontrolled spaces. Also during WQ, the French get resources for cities that aren't under British Control, whereas the Brits derive their resources from cities they do control (and thus they really focus heavily on controlling them). Also, some of the Commands and Special Activities depend on a space's control status.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Sounds like the French are unified in their commitment to send the Patriots resources!

French use the Command Roderigue Hortalez et Cie!

So:

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French:
  • Decide how many resources to send using RHeC
  • Additionally, use the Special Activity Préparer la Guerre?
  • (if so, choose: add 2 French resources, move 3 Regulars from Unavailable to Available, or move 1 Squadron to the West Indies)

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Lord Frisk posted:

Considering you'll get 3 resources (due to the exchange rate of the mighty Franc (Did they use a Franc then?)) for our 2, it seems like the best plan.

I'll execute this in a sec, if we're in agreement. Do the French want to do PlG as a Special activity, or just RHeC?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The French execute the command Roderigue Hortalez et Cie, with the special activity Préparer la Guerre!

French resources decrease by 2; now at 3.
Patriot resources increase by 3; now at 6.

3 French Regulars move from Unavailable to Available; now at 3.
French Prep increases to 3!

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Patriots choose:
  • Limited Command, Event, or Pass?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Patriots take the event! Claude Louis, Comte de Saint-Germain, modernizes the French army!

5 (!) French Regulars are moved to Available!
French Prep increases to 8!

A new card is drawn!

Current Card:

Prime Minister of Great Britain and Whig statesman known for his popular appeal, his opposition to corruption in government, and his support for the colonial position in the run-up to the American Revolution.

Upcoming Card:

For the Patriots, the American Revolution was essentially two parallel wars: while the war in the East was a struggle against British rule, the war in the West was an "Indian War". The newly-proclaimed United States competed with the British for control of the territory of Native American nations east of the Mississippi River.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take British and Indian turns (coming soon!)

Also, really digging the banter in this thread. Thanks goons :allears:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British colonial government ignores Pitt's warning: America can be conquered!

The British take the event!
The British response dismays the colonists in Massachusetts and increases British support in New York Colony!
Massachusetts moves from Active Opposition to Neutral! (Opposition -2*2). Opposition is now 0.
New York Colony moves to Passive Support (Support +2). Support is now 5.

The Indians, sensing that their time will soon be on hand, decide to pass.
NB: The Indian bot would not normally do this, but the next event is clearly superior to anything the Indians could do now, so they are passing.

Indian resources increase by 1, now 1.

The turn is finished. A new card is drawn!

Current card:

For the Patriots, the American Revolution was essentially two parallel wars: while the war in the East was a struggle against British rule, the war in the West was an "Indian War". The newly-proclaimed United States competed with the British for control of the territory of Native American nations east of the Mississippi River.

Upcoming card:

The Declaration of Independence was accepted by one-third of the population while one-third was against it, and one-third was neutral. Thousands of Patriots gathered and destroyed the signs and symbols that represented the British Crown. Rioters destroyed a statue of King George III in New York.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take Indian turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Indians take the event! Rebellion outposts along the frontier are ravaged, and the Indians resettle some of their rightful territory.

The Indians build one village and place two war parties in the Northwest Territory!

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French: Command (with Special Activity?), or Pass?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Cool, a quorum right before I go to bed!

Military advisors are sent to aid the Patriot rebels! The French conduct a Command/Special Activity: Agent Mobilization and Préparer le Guerre!

French spend 1 resource; now 2.
1 Continental is added to New York Colony.
Préparer le Guerre adds 2 resources for the French; now 4.

Current Card:

The Declaration of Independence was accepted by one-third of the population while one-third was against it, and one-third was neutral. Thousands of Patriots gathered and destroyed the signs and symbols that represented the British Crown. Rioters destroyed a statue of King George III in New York.

Upcoming Card:

An elite light infantry unit commanded by General Daniel Morgan equipped with cutting edge rifles rather than muskets allowing accuracy many time greater than traditional infantry. British soldiers soon came to fear these prowling hunters who could kill from afar.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots Choose:
  • Event
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'll resolve when there's a consensus on the last militia going to Maryland-Delaware or New Hampshire.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Where do you guys want the fort?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Continental Congress resolves that America will be free! The Patriots take the Declaration of Independence Event!

Patriots place one Militia each in New York Colony, New York City, and Maryland-Delaware.
Each of those provinces gets a Propaganda marker:

Patrick Henry spreads propaganda in New York Colony.
Joseph Warren spreads propaganda in New York City.
John Hancock spreads propaganda in Maryland-Delaware.

Patriots build a Fort in New York Colony.

New York Colony shifts to Uncontrolled!
New York City shifts to Uncontrolled!
Maryland-Delaware shifts to Patriot control!

Indians and French are Ineligible, so turn passes to the British.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take the British turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British are alarmed by the colonist's impudence! The British Muster their forces!

Six British Regulars and one Tory are dispatched to New York City.
Two Tories are dispatched to Boston.
Two Tories are dispatched to New York Colony.
Two Tories are dispatched to Connecticut-Rhode Island.

British spend four resources; now 3.

New York City is now controlled by the British!
New York Colony is now controlled by the British!
Connecticut-Rhode Island is now controlled by the British!

The British build a Fort in New York Colony. Two Tories and one Regular are removed.

New York Colony is now Uncontrolled!

The British execute Naval Pressure on the rebels!

British resources are increased by 3; now 6.

The turn is finished, and a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

An elite light infantry unit commanded by General Daniel Morgan equipped with cutting edge rifles rather than muskets allowing accuracy many time greater than traditional infantry. British soldiers soon came to fear these prowling hunters who could kill from afar.

Upcoming Card:

Frustrated by pressure of American settlers, Warriors lashed out on several occasions during the Revolution.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French choose:
  • Command, no Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass
Also, I never really said it before it, but one "choice" for Eligible factions is to use your Brilliant Stroke card if you meet the conditions, though that's not possible for the French here since the ToA hasn't been played yet. I just wanted to put it out there, so assume that that's always an option when you're eligible on a new card that's just been played, and it's a good way to "cancel out" bad cards, especially if another good one is coming up.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Majumbo posted:

Brilliant Strokes can be thought of as Trump Cards. They are quite powerful and can be used to interrupt the regular course of play. Each faction has 1 and can use it on any card before any other faction takes an action on it. It cancels whatever the current card is and allows the Brilliant Strokes player to do whatever is on their Brilliant Strokes card.

BUT, there is an order in which faction's Brilliant Strokes cards can be used to trump other factions Brilliant Strokes play. The order is Indians > French > British > Patriots meaning that if the Patriots play their card it can be overpowered by anyone else. However it can be super useful if you need to make sure the event of a certain card does not happen.

Basically this, yeah. You also have to be Eligible to be able to use a Brilliant Stroke and it resets all factions to Eligible for the upcoming card, so it's generally best when you know you'll be able to act twice in a row once you play it.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Has the French Expeditionary Force reached a decision?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The French Expeditionary Force sends more military advisors to New Hampshire!

Two Patriot militia are added to New Hampshire.
New Hampshire is now controlled by the Rebellion!
The French spend 1 resource; now 3.

The Indians choose to pass, seeing as they are first Eligible on the next card, which is very beneficial to them.
NB: Again, the Indian bot wouldn't normally do this, but it has no knowledge of upcoming events and is somewhat hamstrung by that. I don't want them to be that blind, so they're passing this time.
The Indians gain 1 resource; now 2.

The turn ends!

A new card is drawn: Winter Quarters!

1775 winds to a close, and Rebellion and Royalist forces must hunker down as poor weather brings their campaigns to an end. With the Declaration of Independence signed and a new United States created, will 1776 be the year that British rule begins to falter? So far, the colonist population isn't having much of it...

Current Card:

War on the frontier usually involved small numbers of combatants, but was often desperate and bloody.

Upcoming Card:

Frustrated by pressure of American settlers, Warriors lashed out on several occasions during the Revolution.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Conduct Winter Quarters round.

Also, a brief discussion about Commands for the AI opponents: unlike real players, the bots ALWAYS conduct full commands (that is, their commands can never be "limited", as a player's can). Therefore, doing actions like what the French just did can't limit the AI to a Limited Command, but they can prevent them playing an event, as happened here. In the end, using a limited command and preventing the AI from taking the event and was beneficial for this turn, since the Indian player didn't get to act on this card and would have been reset to Eligible after the Winter Quarters, if it had known a WQ was coming up. Just know that in the future, a player faction taking a Command without Special Activity doesn't limit the AI to a Limited Command, but does prevent it from playing the event.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Victory Check Phase:

British: Support exceeds Opposition by more than 10? NO, and CRC greater than CBC? NO
Indians: Support exceeds Opposition by more than 10? NO, and (Villages - 3) > Patriot Forts? NO
French: Opposition exceeds Support by more than 10? NO, and CBC greater than CRC and ToA has been played? NO
Patriots: Opposition exceeds Support by more than 10? NO, and Patriot Forts plus 3 is greater than Villages? YES

No faction wins, but Patriots are ahead of Indians on the second victory condition, which will come into play shortly.

Supply Phase:

2 British Tories in Connecticut-Rhode Island are out of supply, and are moved to Available.
Connecticut-Rhode Island is now Uncontrolled!
All other British units are in supply.

The Patriot militia in New York City is out of supply, but since there are fewer than 2 Patriot units there, it may remain for free.
All other Patriot units are in supply.

No French units are on the map yet, so French ain't gotta worry about it.

The Indian War Party in New York Colony is out of supply, but the Indians pay one resource to prevent Rebellion control in the province.
Indian resources decrease by 1; now 1.
All other Indian units are in supply.

Resources Phase:

British earn by number of British forts (4) + population of non-blockaded British Controlled Cities (4) + 5 for control of West Indies (0) = 8.
British now have 14 resources.

Indians earn by half the number of Villages on the map (1), rounded down = 0.
Indians remain at 1 resource.

Patriots earn by number of Patriot forts (2) + half the number of Rebellion Controlled spaces, not including the West Indies (5), rounded down = 4.
Patriots now have 10 resources.

French earn (before ToA) 2 times the number of squadrons in the West Indies (0) = 0.
French remain at 3 resources.

Support Phase:

British may spend to Reward Loyalty up to 2 times in each space containing British Regulars and Tories, at 1 resource per action.
British choose to Reward Loyalty in NYC (2x), Boston (2x), and Quebec City (1x), at the cost of 5 resources.
This removes the Propaganda in NYC and shifts it, plus Boston and Quebec City, to Active Support.
British spend 5 resources; now 9.
Support is now 10!

Patriots may choose to use Committees of Correspondence:

The Patriots may spend Resources to encourage Opposition in Rebellion Controlled spaces with Patriot pieces. Every one Resource spent removes one Raid marker or — once no Raid is in a space — shifts it one level toward Active Opposition to a maximum of two levels per space.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots: Spend $$$ for Committees of Correspondence?
(Possible in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maryland-Delaware, Virginia, and Philadelphia; Patriots currently have 10 resources.)

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2016

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Patriots encourage Opposition in Marlyand-Delaware, Virginia, and Massachusetts.

Opposition increases to 10!
Opposition is now tied with support.

The Patriots spend 5 resources; now 5.

This is not the final Winter Quarters phase (only 1 of 6), so the game does not end.

Redeployment Phase:

Leadership Change! The Indians are first up, so Joseph Brant is replaced with Cornplanter (Gather builds Villages for 1 War Party in the space).

Leader Redeployment:

The Indians keep Cornplanter in Northwest.
French have no leaders to redeploy.
The British redeploy Gage to New York City.
Patriots: Redeploy Washington, or keep him in Massachusetts?

6 Regulars and 6 Tories are released to Available, as per the British Release Schedule for this scenario.
British now have 8 available Regulars and 10 available Tories.

Desertion Phase:

Patriots have 9 Militia on the board, so 1 deserts.
The Indians choose the first desertion, and they choose to remove 1 militia from Maryland-Delaware. Maryland-Delaware shifts to Uncontrolled!
Patriots have 2 Continentals on the board, so none desert.

The British have 9 Tories on the board, so 1 deserts.
The French choose which Tory deserts.

Housekeeping is nearly done!

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots: Move Washington to another space with Patriot units, or to Available?
French: Choose which Tory deserts.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

All right, let's keep this train moving.

Washington moves to New York!
The Tory in Quebec City is returned to Available!

The event triggers!

During the long winter of 1775, Indian raids across the frontier stretch Patriot resources to a breaking point. They are forced to abandon one of their forts after a brutal attack...

The Patriots must remove one Fort!

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
Remove one fort in Massachusetts or New York?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Indian raids destroy the Patriot Fort in Massachusetts!

The Winter Quarters round ends, and with it comes the campaign season of 1776.

Active Card:

Upcoming Card:

During the Summer of 1776, Thomas Paine (anonymously) wrote this 48-page pamphlet printed by Robert Bell. 120,000 copies were sold in the first three months. The pamphlet was targeted at the common colonist rather than elites. It is believed that most colonists were "on the fence" regarding independence. After "Common Sense" was distributed, things changed dramatically.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the Indian and British turns.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Indians take the event!

A Cayuga War Party conducts a Raid in Georgia.
A Seneca War Party conducts a Raid in South Carolina.
A Delaware War Party conducts a Raid in North Carolina.
A Chickasaw War Party conducts a Raid in Virginia.
Virginia shifts to Uncontrolled!

The British, seeing their Indian allies take action, decide that they must establish dominance over the Patriot rebels as the year begins.

The British choose to conduct a Command and Special Activity!

The British execute Naval Pressure!
British gain 1 resource; now 10.

The British decide to Garrison the coastal Cities!
British spend 2 resources; now 8.

1 Regular from Boston and 2 from New York City move to Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is now under British control!

1 Regular from Boston and 1 from Florida move to Norfolk.
Norfolk is now under British control!

2 Regulars move from New York City to Charles Town.
Charles Town is now under British control!

1 Regular moves from New York City to Savannah!
Savannah is now under British control!

The Underground Patriot Militia in Boston and New York City are activated!
The Militia in Philadelphia is expelled to Maryland-Delaware!
Maryland-Delaware is now Controlled by the Rebellion!

The British turn ends, and with that the card is complete. A new turn begins.

Current Card:

During the Summer of 1776, Thomas Paine (anonymously) wrote this 48-page pamphlet printed by Robert Bell. 120,000 copies were sold in the first three months. The pamphlet was targeted at the common colonist rather than elites. It is believed that most colonists were "on the fence" regarding independence. After "Common Sense" was distributed, things changed dramatically.

Upcoming Card:

In October of 1776, one month after being named an agent of a diplomatic commission by the Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin set sail from Philadelphia for France. His task was to negotiate and secure a formal alliance and treaty.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
  • Event
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Thomas Paine's writing spread like wildfire through the colonies!

New York City shifts to Passive Support!
Esther de Bendt Reed and John Hancock spread Propaganda in New York City!

Boston shifts to Passive Support!
John Lamb and Haym Solomon spread Propaganda in Boston!

Total Support drops by 3; now 7.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French choose:
  • Command (and Special Activity?)
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The French choose to pass!

The French gain 2 resources; now 5.

The turn ends, and a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

In October of 1776, one month after being named an agent of a diplomatic commission by the Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin set sail from Philadelphia for France. His task was to negotiate and secure a formal alliance and treaty.

Upcoming Card:

As George Washington surveyed his desperate situation at a camp above Trenton Falls on December 20, 1776 he pondered a response to the British invasion of New York and New Jersey. He lamented his position to the Continental Congress including the line: "But my feelings as an Officer and a Man, have been such as to force me to say that no person ever had a greater choice of difficulties to contend with than I have; it is needless to add that short Inlistments (sic), and a mistaken dependence (sic) upon Militia, have been the Origin of all our Misfortunes and the great accumulation of our Debt."

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French choose:
  • Command Only, no Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass

I assume France wants to take the event, so I'll execute that soon unless I hear otherwise.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

They love it.

French gain 3 resources; now 8.
Patriots gain 2 resources; now 7.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the British turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British Muster their forces!

Six British Regulars muster in New York Colony!
New York Colony is now Controlled by the British!
Two Tories muster in New York Colony!
Two Tories muster in Philadelphia!
Two Tories muster in Norfolk!
Two Tories muster in Charles Town!

British spend 4 resources; now 4.

British Reward Loyalty in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is now at Active Support!
British spend 2 resources; now 2.

The British Skirmish in New York City!
The Active Militia there is returned to Available Forces!

Current Card:

As George Washington surveyed his desperate situation at a camp above Trenton Falls on December 20, 1776 he pondered a response to the British invasion of New York and New Jersey. He lamented his position to the Continental Congress including the line: "But my feelings as an Officer and a Man, have been such as to force me to say that no person ever had a greater choice of difficulties to contend with than I have; it is needless to add that short Inlistments (sic), and a mistaken dependence (sic) upon Militia, have been the Origin of all our Misfortunes and the great accumulation of our Debt."

Upcoming Card:

The largest American naval expedition of the war, a flotilla of 19 warships mounted by the Provincial Congress of the Province of Massachusetts Bay sailed from Boston in July of 1779 for the upper Penobscot Bay in the District of Maine (then a part of Massachusetts colony). The flotilla also included a ground force of more than 1,000 colonial troops as well as a 100-man artillery detachment under the command of Lt. Colonel Paul Revere. The goal was to reclaim control of what is now mid-coast Maine from the British who had seized it a month earlier, renaming it New Ireland. The Patriots paid a heavy price in the fighting over three weeks in July and August of 1779.

As the British were reinforced, the Patriot fleet was destroyed as it fled up the Penobscot River. It was one of Britain's greatest victories of the war. The Expedition was also the United States’ worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor 162 years later in 1941.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
  • Event
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Patriots pass!
The Patriots gain 1 resource; now 8.

The Indians choose to Raid!

An Onondaga War Party in Northwest conducts a Raid in Maryland-Delaware!
The War Party is flipped to Active.
A Raid Marker is placed in Maryland-Delaware.
Maryland-Delaware moves to Passive Opposition!
Maryland-Delaware is now Uncontrolled!

The Indians spend 1 resource; now 0.

The Indians attempt to Trade with the British.
The British politely decline the Indian request.
A War Party in Northwest is flipped to Active.
The Indians gain 1 resource; now 1.

The Seminole War Party in Virginia conducts a Raid there!
The War Party is flipped to Active.
A Raid Marker is placed in Virginia.
Virginia moves to Passive Opposition!
Virginia is now Uncontrolled!

The Indians spend 1 resource; now 0.

Total Opposition drops by 4; now 6.

The turn ends; a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

The largest American naval expedition of the war, a flotilla of 19 warships mounted by the Provincial Congress of the Province of Massachusetts Bay sailed from Boston in July of 1779 for the upper Penobscot Bay in the District of Maine (then a part of Massachusetts colony). The flotilla also included a ground force of more than 1,000 colonial troops as well as a 100-man artillery detachment under the command of Lt. Colonel Paul Revere. The goal was to reclaim control of what is now mid-coast Maine from the British who had seized it a month earlier, renaming it New Ireland. The Patriots paid a heavy price in the fighting over three weeks in July and August of 1779.

As the British were reinforced, the Patriot fleet was destroyed as it fled up the Penobscot River. It was one of Britain's greatest victories of the war. The Expedition was also the United States’ worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor 162 years later in 1941.

Upcoming Card:

In 1775, Richard Henderson and Daniel Boone negotiated the Treaty of Sycamore Shoals, in which Henderson’s Transylvania Company purchased a large part of modern Kentucky and part of Tennessee from the Cherokee. As the war progressed, this acquisition became a target of the Cherokees who aligned themselves with the British.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
  • Event
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Patriots take the event!

The Penobscot Expedition arrives in Massachusetts!
1 Fort and 3 Militia arrive in Massachusetts!

Patriot play ends, and the British are up.

The British choose to Battle in New York Colony!

Force Level Calculations:

Attacker (Royalists):
6 Regulars + 4 Tories = 10 = 3d3

Defender (Rebellion):
1 Continental + 1 Fort + (1/2) * (Activated Militia?) = 2 or 3 (0d3 or 1d3)

Loss Level Calculations:

Defender Loss Level (Rebellion):
+1 for At Least Half Attacking Pieces Regulars
+1 for At Least One Attacking Side Piece Underground
-1 for At Least One Defending Fort
-1 for Patriots Defending with Washington
Total = 0

Attacker Loss Level (Royalists):
+1 or +0 for At Least One Defending Piece Underground
+1 for At Least One Defending Leader
+1 for At Least One Defending Fort
Total = +2 or +3, depending on Patriot Activation of Militia

Patriots Must Choose:

Activate how many Militia?
  • If 0 Militia activate, then Patriots roll no dice to inflict losses, and get a +3 to losses inflicted
  • If 1 Militia activate, then Patriots roll no dice to inflict losses, and get a +3 to losses inflicted
  • If 2 Militia activate, then Patriots roll 1d3 to inflict losses, and get a +2 to losses inflicted
Note: Each activated Militia can possibly be killed by British attacks, while Underground Militia may not be targeted.

Battles are pretty complicated to do via forum, but I hope I made this clear.

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Patriot Militia remains underground.

The British roll 3d3 + 0 = 3,1,2 + 0 = 6!
The Patriots must take 6 Losses.

The Patriots roll 0d3 + 3 = 3!
The British must take 3 Losses.

The British lose 1 Regular and 1 Tory in New York Colony as casualties.
Cumulative British Casualties increase to 2.

The Patriots lose 1 Continental and 1 Fort as casualties, as all Militia are Underground.
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties increase to 2.

Since all Patriot pieces that participated are eliminated, and a Patriot Fort is destroyed, the British Win the Day!
British get to shift New York Colony 1 space towards Support.
New York Colony is now at Active Support! (Total Support now 11.)

The British have spent 1 resource to Battle; now 1.

For their Special Activity, British choose to apply Naval Pressure.
British roll 1d3 = 1 to gain 1 resource; now 2.

Current Card:

In 1775, Richard Henderson and Daniel Boone negotiated the Treaty of Sycamore Shoals, in which Henderson’s Transylvania Company purchased a large part of modern Kentucky and part of Tennessee from the Cherokee. As the war progressed, this acquisition became a target of the Cherokees who aligned themselves with the British.

Upcoming Card:

Edward Bancroft worked as a spy for Benjamin Franklin in Britain before the Revolution, and while serving in Paris. He was also a spy for Britain, reporting on activity between France and the United States.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the Indian turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

JcDent posted:

I apologize, but I'm dropping out.

No worries! I'm glad you got to participate for the time you did.

Also, if any of you in the peanut gallery want to jump in, you're welcome to at any time, and on either side!

On to the Indian turn:

An easy decision; the Indians take the Event.
The Indians build a second village in Northwest.

Play passes to the French.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French choose:
  • Command, may add Special Activity
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Lord Frisk posted:

Doesn't a cube mean they would take losses if they battled, or at least gently caress with them somewhat?

Brits have Skirmish and Indians have War Path, which both allow pieces to be picked off without initiating a full battle, as long as Regulars or War Parties are in the space, respectively. This works basically just like French Skirmish or Patriot Partisans or Skirmish.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

It seems like the French are mostly in agreement, so I'll execute.

The French mobilize agents in New Hampshire; a Continental is placed there!
The French use Préparer la Guerre to move 3 Regulars from Unavailable to Available!
French Prep increases by 3; now 11!

Current Card:

Edward Bancroft worked as a spy for Benjamin Franklin in Britain before the Revolution, and while serving in Paris. He was also a spy for Britain, reporting on activity between France and the United States.

Upcoming Card:

"We desire you will hear and receive what we have now told you, and that you will open a good ear and listen to what we are now going to say. This is a family quarrel between us and Old England. You Indians are not concerned in it. We don’t wish you to take up the hatchet against the king’s troops. We desire you to remain at home, and not join on either side, but keep the hatchet buried deep."
—The Second Continental Congress, Speech to the Six Nations, July 13, 1775

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the British turn

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British choose to take the event, using their agent Edward Bancroft to learn the location of several Patriot militia.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots must choose 4 Militia to Activate, and then:
  • Command, may add Special Activity
  • Pass

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Militia in Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts (x2) are activated!

Patriots may now choose Command + Special Activity, or Pass.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

If Patriots are agreed, I'll execute Caedar's play soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Patriots Rally in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York City, Savannah, Pennsylvania, and Boston!
Connecticut is now Controlled by the Rebellion!
Savannah is now Neutral!
Pennsylvania is now Controlled by the Rebellion!
Note: You can't move militia and place a fort in the same turn, so I chose to do the Fort in Massachusetts -- please let me know if you would prefer it the other way, Patriots.
A Fort is built in Massachusetts, and all but 1 Militia there train to become Continentals!

The Patriots spend 6 resources; now 2.

Patriots conduct Persuasion in Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania!
A Militia in each space is activated, and Propaganda is spread by Patrick Henry, James Swan, and Oliver Wolcott!
Patriots gain 3 resources; now 5.

The Patriot turn ends, and a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

"We desire you will hear and receive what we have now told you, and that you will open a good ear and listen to what we are now going to say. This is a family quarrel between us and Old England. You Indians are not concerned in it. We don’t wish you to take up the hatchet against the king’s troops. We desire you to remain at home, and not join on either side, but keep the hatchet buried deep."
—The Second Continental Congress, Speech to the Six Nations, July 13, 1775

Upcoming Card:

At the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge February 27, 1776, Patriot forces defeated the British. The victory ended British authority in North Carolina. Within two months of the American victory, North Carolina became the first colony to vote in favor of independence from Britain.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the Indian turn.

• Locked thread