Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nine_eos posted:

ive got forehead tits and i'll get arrested if i dont cover them.

hahaha thats what u get for tryin to outsmart little nicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What was the wasteland contaminated with? It had better be really, really poisonous.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

nine_eos posted:

ive got forehead tits and i'll get arrested if i dont cover them.

Juvenile as this is, I am was very amused and I am now completely on board with drone racing or whatever the gently caress it is you're doing here. It seems like you're one of those dweebs who flies a remote control plane but it's different now because it requires virtually no skill comparatively, and also its got a camera on, but all hat aside big fan.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What was the wasteland contaminated with? It had better be really, really poisonous.

ballparking here, asbestos

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Legends say Zeph Mercurial's diary is buried somewhere out there. It has spells in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Californians

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Personally I think this is cool as hell and good job doing whatever it is you do. The video gets real boring after a minute or so tho at least for a layman since it's the same thing over and over

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

jet fuel maybe?

there's some environmental company stationed there working on cleanup so they can repurpose the land at some point.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I learned from QI that loads of male german soldiers have to get breast reduction surgery. It's something to do with ceremonially knocking the butts of their rifles into their breasts or whatever, is that head situation you've got going on for similar reasons op?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
they should reboot weekend at bernies. imagine the hijinks that corpse could get up to being puppeteered by multiple tethered quadrotors.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jose Mengelez posted:

they should reboot weekend at bernies. imagine the hijinks that corpse could get up to being puppeteered by multiple tethered quadrotors.

I would pay full price to go see a corpse do that frog in a top hat and a cane "hello my baby, hello my darling" dance if it was done with an actual corpse and drones. Don't bother putting a movie around it, nothing can top that.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
they should also reboot weird science. imagine the shenanigans those horny nerds could get up to manipulating kelly lebrocks naked body with multiple tethered quadrotors.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose Mengelez posted:

they should also reboot weird science. imagine the shenanigans those horny nerds could get up to manipulating kelly lebrocks naked body with multiple tethered quadrotors.
lmao thinking about the indie startup sexy babe siri clone that gets zapped by lightning, fuckin plot writes itself

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe
cool video, makes me want to get a drone and FPV setup

but yeah we should run the OP out of something awful, these forums have so much content and i'm totally drawn to them moreso than ever these days

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Stop flying near transmission lines.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

jokes on you op, perfectly level flying is the supreme challenge of the scale model pilot

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I quite enjoyed your quadcopter video, and am sorry that the shut-in goons who spend all day watching other people do video game speedruns got all upset that you go outside.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I quite enjoyed your quadcopter video, and am sorry that the shut-in goons who spend all day watching other people do video game speedruns got all upset that you go outside.

To play video games, in all respects but, you forgot to add at the end there.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

whats the name of the remix in the video?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

He OP, I was thinking about creating a custom drone for a project.

What I would like is the smallest/lightest possible possible drone where I could attach a camera (or maybe an old smartphone) to the bottom and have that hook in to an on-board computer I could program to process the images and store data. Kinna like a mini google maps. Do you or any other drone hobbyists here have any ideas on what parts I would need to do something like this?

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 28, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
remember when these kinds of threads would be nothing but 5 stars and endless pages and pages of pointless details

i mean i dont mind it for this cause it appeals to me

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Oz posted:

whats the name of the remix in the video?

the track is:

tove lo - stay high (hippie sabotage remix)

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

What I would like is the smallest/lightest possible possible drone where I could attach a camera (or maybe an old smartphone) to the bottom and have that hook in to an on-board computer I could program to process the images and store data. Kinna like a mini google maps. Do you or any other drone hobbyists here have any ideas on what parts I would need to do something like this?

does the computer have to be on board? if you could record and post process, or process based on the video feed you could easily get something under 200g

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pawn 17 posted:

you don't want a quad drone for this. You want a fixed wing plane running ArduPilot. the things it can do with a hacked firmware canon point and shoot is amazing. like the plane knows exactly how high it is and exactly what the field of view of the lens is so it can take the exact perfect number of photos to cover the ground you need. the plane firmware takes care of clicking the shutter button and everything digitally. you draw the paths on PC and the plane just flies its route.

fixed wings can stay in the air for hours too

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 28, 2016

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Have any terrorist types put bombs on a little drone and killed people yet? It seems like that must be something that will happen in the future.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demonachizer posted:

Have any terrorist types put bombs on a little drone and killed people yet? It seems like that must be something that will happen in the future.

legit surprised if Isis doesnt have some explosive 250 classes

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Demonachizer posted:

i'm sure something is possible, but i dunno how effective it would be. your speed and range would be nerfed pretty hard if you tried to carry any meaningful payload. just like the aerial mapping, a fixed wing would work better for something like that.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nine_eos posted:

i'm sure something is possible, but i dunno how effective it would be. your speed and range would be nerfed pretty hard if you tried to carry any meaningful payload. just like the aerial mapping, a fixed wing would work better for something like that.

Fixed wing can go hella fast too. Like 200mph.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i hope you fly the drone into your head

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

8 track betamax posted:

OP can you make a video of this remote control airplane inserting a kazoo into your boyfriends bhole?

came here to post this.

So, do these things have decent strapons?
how fast does it go, would it go fast enough to ram a rusty screwdriver into the back of your head?

Can you make it sound more obnoxious and high pitched?

You know what needs exploring next? a sewer.

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 29, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

nine_eos posted:

does the computer have to be on board? if you could record and post process, or process based on the video feed you could easily get something under 200g

Actually I hadn't thought about that too much. I guess I would prefer to program a flight path and have the drone know certain information as it goes along its route (like altitude, coordinates, etc). However the actual image processing could be done afterwards and I don't see a need to have it done realtime.

bring back old gbs posted:

you don't want a quad drone for this. You want a fixed wing plane running ArduPilot. the things it can do with a hacked firmware canon point and shoot is amazing. like the plane knows exactly how high it is and exactly what the field of view of the lens is so it can take the exact perfect number of photos to cover the ground you need. the plane firmware takes care of clicking the shutter button and everything digitally. you draw the paths on PC and the plane just flies its route.

fixed wings can stay in the air for hours too

Cool, I'm looking at ArduPilot and they have some really neat software and looks like they have an active dev community too. Those fixed wings look so big to me though. Is the issue with a copter that it can't carry as much weight? Or more about fly time? Ardu has everything from quads to octa copters. Guessing more blades = more power?

ALSO, what kind of licensing/registration do I need to fly one of these bad boys? Especially if it's automated? Like, can I just go to a hiking trail and program it to map a trail? Can I fly it over a crowded city?

nine_eos
Oct 26, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

Actually I hadn't thought about that too much. I guess I would prefer to program a flight path and have the drone know certain information as it goes along its route (like altitude, coordinates, etc). However the actual image processing could be done afterwards and I don't see a need to have it done realtime.

Cool, I'm looking at ArduPilot and they have some really neat software and looks like they have an active dev community too. Those fixed wings look so big to me though. Is the issue with a copter that it can't carry as much weight? Or more about fly time? Ardu has everything from quads to octa copters. Guessing more blades = more power?

ALSO, what kind of licensing/registration do I need to fly one of these bad boys? Especially if it's automated? Like, can I just go to a hiking trail and program it to map a trail? Can I fly it over a crowded city?

multicopters are super inefficient, they're ultra maneuverable but they waste a lot of energy just staying in the air. wings can use a lot less energy to do a lot more.

everyone is supposed to register and get an FAA number ($5). there are guidelines like don't fly above 400ft, dont fly over crowds of people, dont fly beyond visual line of sight (...)

also you have to realize that these things only have so many sensors on board. each autonomous feature you want will basically require another sensor and software routine to control it.

GPS is one thing, but if you want it to fly on a hiking trail at different altitudes then you'll need some other sensors (sonar maybe) to try and avoid obstacles. most obstacle avoidance technology isn't there yet too..

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

how me a frog posted:

Legends say Zeph Mercurial's diary is buried somewhere out there. It has spells in it.

whatever happened to zeph mercurial??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It'd be cool if you could do this over secret military bases and give the footage to me

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

staberind posted:

came here to post this.

So, do these things have decent strapons?
how fast does it go, would it go fast enough to ram a rusty screwdriver into the back of your head?

Can you make it sound more obnoxious and high pitched?

You know what needs exploring next? a sewer.

He should fly around Washington DC that would be really cool....def worth a :five: from THIS poster.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

gently caress the op for making me want to buy a first person view drone setup

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Prettz posted:

what song is that?

it's whitey - somebody grab the wheel

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nine_eos posted:

multicopters are super inefficient, they're ultra maneuverable but they waste a lot of energy just staying in the air. wings can use a lot less energy to do a lot more.

everyone is supposed to register and get an FAA number ($5). there are guidelines like don't fly above 400ft, dont fly over crowds of people, dont fly beyond visual line of sight (...)

also you have to realize that these things only have so many sensors on board. each autonomous feature you want will basically require another sensor and software routine to control it.

GPS is one thing, but if you want it to fly on a hiking trail at different altitudes then you'll need some other sensors (sonar maybe) to try and avoid obstacles. most obstacle avoidance technology isn't there yet too..

Pawn 17 posted:

pretty much what he said, a quad/hex/octo can do the job but they're just a crazy inefficient way to maintain lift. The benefit is they are insanely maneuverable and can change direction on a dime, but they have zeeeero aerodynamic properties and there is no real way to give them any. If you cut throttle they are falling like the brick they are. Do the same thing on a plane/fixed wing and the body itself, the wing, creates lift. The propeller pushes/pulls the craft but actual aerodynamics are keeping you in the air. I wish I knew more about fixed wings/planes, everything I read about them sounds awesome.

If you want to do sensor stuff and active object avoidance you basically need to go with a multirotor because a plane is never going to maneuver in close quarters like that.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

wow do you have a camera in my bedroom, if so could you send me a copy of the tape from last saturday night, that was some archival print poo poo, some straight up criterion collection poo poo

• Locked thread