Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This game makes for a really good LP and it's one of my favorites of the last generation. It's flawed up the rear end, especially in terms of the story which devolves into some really dumb bullshit towards the end, but just in terms of detail and atmosphere it's insanely enjoyable and nails 1940's LA, or at least the way I imagine it was. I hardly ever let my partner drive because of how much I loved just cruising around the city. Too bad there's not much to do in it aside from some hollow, tacked-on collectables. Also in civilian cars the radio plays some really choice music and actual radio ads from the era and it's definitely worth listening to.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's pretty fun when you recognize the actors in the game. Frank Morgan is Dead Meat from Hot Shots!
Goddamn, I never connected that particular dot. Wendy I can flyyyyyyy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure "Doubt" used to be "Coerce", as in intimidate the interviewee to confess to something but it was axed at the very last minute of development and turned into Doubt for some reason, which is why every time you choose it Cole goes completely loving bananas on the person and threatens to have his partner bash the suspects' head in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

I think the reason was some of the playtesters didn't understand the implications or use? Though the change didn't really help.
Really, something like "Intimidate" or "Threaten" would have been better. If you play the game and mentally replace "Doubt" with either of those it'll make a whole lot more sense.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

But then that might have led people to not use it enough on witnesses, plus sometimes Cole doesn't actually threaten people with the Doubt option. Honestly, it doesn't seem like any one word would have fully described the option.

I guess in general it's just Cole going into "bad cop" mode. Maybe they could've fleshed that out and had an actual good cop/bad cop mechanic the "Doubt" thing would've fit more naturally into. Something to think about I guess whenever it is the sequel rolls around. The fact that Rockstar seem to be actually making a Red Dead Redemption sequel means they're not just sitting on their IPs after all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish they would just release RDR for the PC.

Not sure how likely that is as the word is the whole game is barely held together code-wise, and as such it would be hard as hell to port it to PC. It was so full of bugs and other crap that they had to quickly make sure it functioned as a game right before they shipped it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

That just makes me sad, it's such a good game. I never had any issues with it on my 360 FWIW.

It is a fantastic game, and I only had one gamebreaking issue on the PS3 which was remedied by a patch a short while later. It's kind of a miracle it works as well as it does, honestly. But to get back on topic, you can find John Marston's hat in one of the later crime scenes in LA Noire! :clint:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The atmosphere of the homicide desk, along with Rusty, are probably my favorite bits of the entire game, but it's a shame that the overarching plot of the desk ends up being kind of a whimper that makes you feel like nothing you did really mattered. I guess it works with how the LAPD was in the late 40's but out of all the desks it's the one I wish they would've made more its own separate thing in the overall story of the game. I would've happily played 20 more homicide cases unrelated to any serial killer.

Goddamn it Rockstar, get your finger out and give us a sequel already. Whore of the Orient or whatever is never coming out anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I may have missed someone linking this already but here's a pretty neat article about a guy playing LA Noire with his dad who grew up in 1940's LA.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Apologies for the double post but I just noticed further up:

This isn't the first time I've seen this article, nor is it the last time I'll wish I'd done this with my own dad. He was born in the late 30's, too young to really remember the wartime rationing and stuff but old enough to make the massive post-war construction sites his playgrounds. He was born in North Hollywood, across the street from orange groves and alfalfa fields. The streetcar to Hollywood proper ran through his neighborhood and he'd take it there to spend his allowance on movies (unsupervised, as a pre-teen, imagine anyone's kids doing that today). A couple times, he set fireworks on the tracks to prank the engineer when the last Red Car for the night would be rolling back to the yard house.

The whole valley is suburban sprawl now, of course. His street still looks the same but the surrounding area is slowly being developed into luxury apartments and whatnot. His house still remains, but it's been renovated into an office, and you can hear the echoes coming from the 101 Freeway. In his later years I used to drive him down his old street and he'd point to the houses and talk about the kids who lived in them. And we'd get to a stop sign and he'd tell me the story about how he was late for an appointment to get his car insured, ran the stop sign and clipped a Buick. Or about how his mom would set pies on the windowsill. I miss him.

I can relate to this as my dad grew up in the 50's in the same place I live in today and he frequently tells me stories about it, pointing out how one place used to be a railroad depot or thick woods or what have you. I think that's a large part of why the article struck a chord with me. And it makes me regret not talking more to my grandparents who grew up right in the midst of the second world war. I've always felt that the LA of LA Noire, while an understandably "summarized" recreation, was something significant and very effectively displayed one of the great things videogames like LA Noire can do; a form of time travel and historical exploration. In all honestly I'm kind of bummed that Bobbin Threadbare elects to use Cole's partner a lot to drive around from location to location because the world they created for LA Noire is genuinely great and fantastically atmospheric, if a little clinical in terms of things to do. Everything from the geography to the songs on the radio clearly were something of a labor of love for the creators and it does come across.

On another note, I can't wait for LA Confidential to be one of the featured films. I just rewatched it today and it's so goddamn good. It's almost what LA Noire wants to be, but isn't. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet but is digging this LP, watch it. Seriously. You'll get way more out of LA Noire if you do.

E: Also LA Confidential has a couple of actors that show up in LA Noire, a Vice captain in LA Confidential who shows up in a (really good) DLC case as a bit of a thug and the guy who played Gordon Leitvol in one of the DLC cases is a coroner in the movie.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 24, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I really have to say how much I love the attention to detail in this game, especially when it comes to things like official documents and such. Everything from the divorce papers to the library card is period accurate and that kind of stuff does so much to nail down the atmosphere of the game. One thing not really shown off in the LP is the radio (which isn't available in the police cars if I recall) because there's hours of music and commercials and things and they're all really cool little things it's easy to miss out on. I found a playlist with pretty much everything on it; songs that play on the radio, announcements, bumpers, news (some original, some recreated) and even stuff from the game soundtrack.

E: I should mention that the news reports contain some story spoilers. I had no idea the radio news actually talk about events and the characters in the game.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 31, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Serial killers often "mature", which means that their first murders are very downplayed versions of their actual fantasies and they work towards their ultimate fantasy with every victim, little by little. LA Noire presents this pretty clearly, especially with the last episode of this LP where the killer gets even more brazen and obvious compared to the previous cases. At the same time they often try to recreate the conditions of their first murder. James Ellroy smartly (and correctly I think) stated that the basis of all serial murders is sexual desire and the attempt to recreate the same rush the killer felt with their first murder which is why almost always it's a case of the perpetrator being of the opposite sex; usually a male perp with female victims.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You need a cup of my java.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Better get Phelps and Galloway on the case, seems like we have a dead body.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The black and white makes the game look so much more realistic which surprised me. Some of the wide shots of Phelps and Rusty driving around looked drat near photorealistic. I wasn't bothered by the added effects since I watched the ep in 480p and wasn't using headphones. :haw: I like the homicide desk a lot but as a whole it feels weirdly separate from all the other desks because of the conclusion.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fun fact; the sheet music found in the first apartment/crime scene was composed by Andrew Hale, who scored LA Noire. Also, doesn't "Wop" stand for "WithOut Passport"? I think it comes from the early 20th century and the influx of Italian immigrants to the US who didn't possess any kind of identification. I think the fact that Ottie claimed he paid "the wops" who then kicked up to the LAPD could've been just him directing attention away from Cohen's crew.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Huh, that's interesting. I guess the matching timeframe was one of the key components in promoting the incorrect etymology.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey Bobbin, you may have already answered this and I probably missed it, but do you plan on doing the street crimes for each desk at some point, too?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't think I have. My plan is to compile all the interesting street crimes from all four desks in a single video I'll set after the first Arson case, after we've met our final partner. This video will also have its own film review.

Okay, that sounds good. Some of the street crimes are pretty sweet and I was getting antsy as none of them had appeared in the videos yet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The actor who played Elsa actually sung three full songs that appear in the game, including the one in this case. It's not that much of a stretch for someone to sing a song and not have it be in their native accent.

E: VVV Well, that's my goof. I remembered that Brucken played Elsa but was mistaken. My latter point stands. though.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 22, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I said it before, but for all of its many flaws this game nails the atmosphere and is full of pretty insane and neat details. It's fun to look around the city at all the little shops and the landmarks, it all feels so authentic and helps in grounding the characters and all the other elements really nicely. Sadly it also means that all the silliness and glitches and what have you stand out even more but still, I think it's worth it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? rules. I grew up watching that film and as a youngster I did indeed take not much else from it except that it was cartoony fun and hey it's the guy who played Super Mario, but watching it as an adult it does have so much more to it. The hand-animated style holds up pretty nicely today, too.

I can't wait for the final review. Genuinely one of my favorite films of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

L.A. Confidential-related sad news; the director, Curtis Hanson, died today at 71. :(

• Locked thread