Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I am looking forward to this because I won't be shouting at my computer if you screw up something because...well you probably won't make big mistakes like loving up interviews or missing clues :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Hell, the closest thing he gets to a friend is ultra late in the game, and even then, I wouldn't call them a friend.

I dunno, he and Bekowsky get along as well as people seem to get along in the various Detective desks. I never thought of his loner tendencies as indicative of the genre but then I'm not as well versed in Noir as in others and even then it's more modern Noir. Max Payne sure doesn't have problems making friends, he just has problems keeping them alive :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

SimonChris posted:

I once had an LP video flagged by Youtube because a character hummed a few bars from Ride of the Valkyries. I wouldn't feel to sure if I was you, Bobbin...

what? Why is a public domain piece getting flagged, Youtube what have you done

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it also crescendos when you choose the correct option so I think the point was that you would just know which answer right away and you would get this tense build up of the drone. It doesn't really work out that way because as soon as you choose "lie" it dies away as you flip through your book.

It works because it fills in dead air while Cole and the witness are talking but there is still a looooot of dead air to fill between dialogue so it ends up not working as well as it could have. It also feels like something you'd have in these scenes in a noir movie but again that doesn't translate well because you're not in a movie, you're in a game where you have to take time figuring things out unlike in the movies where everyone read the script so they know what to say.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Aw I like the traffic guy too. He's snarky, lazy, and tired of being handed bullshit assignments that he can't make anything of.

that and he seems to either learn something from Cole or benefits from being in his limelight based off where we find him several desks later :3:

Bekowsky was always my favourite too

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Would Jessica's parents have no means of compelling their daughter to return home? Considering that she is a minor and her aunt is not her legal guardian, wouldn't they be within their rights to have the authorities take her into custody and send her back? Or was that impossible during the 1940s?

They would probably have the same means as to bring her home as Iris' parents in Taxi Driver in that they can make demands and get the police to put out APBs and stuff but there are people that would rather keep Jessica around who likely hold more sway than worried parents.

Too bad Cole isn't damaged enough to just go in and shoot up the production offices with reckless abandon, just going to go and run around a decrepit movie set instead :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah one of the reasons I really enjoyed this game is because I like reading stuff like that (and am really good at retaining info like that too) so for the cases where you get lots of paperwork to look at I usually got 4 or 5 stars on my first playthrough because "hey wait a minute, that's not what that sheet of paper said, I'm on to you".

I would say that I overlook the last couple cases of the game and the background story because the actual gameplay elements were more than enough to keep me playing. Now scouring the city for that oooooooooone last type of Sedan on the other hand

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

huh, I never would have classified Streetcar Named Desire as noir before today. Although thinking on it I don't know what I would classify it as, we didn't bring that up when I studied it in High School. It's one of my favourite plays and I really enjoyed the film, I didn't have any issues sitting through it many times. However that was probably because I just absorbed that play when I studied it in English class.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

No kidding, I'd think that'd have good odds of getting you shanked even today when the cops cheerfully notify the general jail population of that fact. Then again, maybe he was resigned that he was getting railroaded.

I thought pedophiles and similar criminals are specifically given different rotations than general population because the guards and staff know they won't last long with everyone else. I'm pretty sure while nonce is a British insult it started as a prison label from the staff so they knew who could go out when so no one would get hurt.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Thesaya posted:

Not until the title screen in the video did I realise that it wasn't called "the stupid secretary murder". Seemed a bit mean.

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me that had to do a doubletake reading the title card :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Argas posted:

They work in Canada but I guess we're all loonies to you guys.

so much so that we ditched the $2 bill for the toonie :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Zerbin7 posted:

Haven't you been paying attention? There are no buddies here. Everyone pretty much hates Cole.

hey, hey now Cole makes a friend, just not until a few cases in to the Arson desk. I also feel like Bekowsky counts since he and Cole act friendly towards each other outside of the Traffic desk

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Roy's dialogue when you first drive to the scene sounds like it was pulled straight out of The Wire or something, kinda spooky how accurate it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Courtney is demonstratively the worst person in this entire game. This update seals that. He deserved much worse than what he got.

for some reason "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" doesn't seem like enough when you consider just how many lives Courtney hosed up. I mean him attempting to frag (yes, anachronistic for WW2 but the sentiment is the same) Cole is probably the only time in the entire game where his decisions are actually somewhat justifiable. His idea for stealing the morphine and selling it is just...it is just straight up retarded and I still find it hilarious that he felt he still had a moral high ground over Cole when Cole tells him about the marines that died because of it.

I remember the first time I played this game I just sat there every time I saw a cutscene with Fontaine and Courtney I was just like "jesus this kid is a dipshit, and this doctor is just a snake oil salesman of the 40s"

• Locked thread