Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think it's more Biggs refuses to do anything less than 100%, and that includes having a partner, even if it's one he did not want. I think he defends Cole, not because he necessarily likes him (at first) but because Cole is Biggs partner, and Biggs don't take no poo poo even tangentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The whole perv chase seems like a wackily prescient precursor to a Benny Hill skit, just lacking the music.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was a terrible game. Meaning the gameplay, the interrogation scenes, the chases, the gunning down bits, all just very haphazardly implemented, and I'm not sure "fun" was ever something they were thinking of when developing it. At the same time though, it has this almost auteur-esque appeal. You didn't really want to play the game, but you did want to know the story it was telling.

The one thing the game succeeded at for me, was Cole Phelps. You weren't supposed to like him. They pretended a bit at first, but as you found out more about him you realized this just isn't a good guy. The final revelation, and him choosing his ignominious end, make a lot of sense to me. What was driving his relentless careerism and case closing? A streak of insecurity and guilt a mile wide and chasms deep. And this is a game telling us this story; not a noire film (though a cutscene heavy game), and it's entirely noire that the unlikable "protagonist" gets killed, is jankily eulogized by the people who contributed to his downfall, and justice is defeated.

• Locked thread