Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Obsidian, Guardian Spirit of the Dune Sea
[HP: 10/10][AC:17]
[Hit Dice: 1d8][Hero Points: 2/2]

As they proceed through the wasteland, Obsidian listens to Jihae, but he listens even more carefully to the Song of the Earth. Moreso than what one man thinks about the long-extinct gods, he wants to know whether Jihae's claims are concordant with what the eternally-existent Earth has witnessed. So far, though, apart from perceiving snatches of the Song at seemingly random intervals, he gains no further insight into Jihae or the nature of those divinities he wishes to resurrect.

So much death, Obsidian thinks to himself as he spies the remains of Haran and its people. So much needless death. Brought out of his reverie by the others springing into action, Obsidian leaves his kank behind and accompanies Haffanu. As they skirt the village to climb the mesa, he sweeps his gaze over the buildings, the corpses, and -- perhaps most interestingly -- the animals, still alive, in their pen. As they proceed, he attempts to divine the nature of the disaster that befell the village.

Since Ja'eel and Tara are circling to the west in order to end up at the animal pens, Haffanu and I will go the other way around to get to the mesa. I presume this will take multiple rounds, so I'm exploring several options as we make our circuit and start our climb.
Is there anything noteworthy from a distance? Any survivors not obvious initially? Or any critters waiting to ambush us? Perception (Wisdom): 1d20+5 16.
After my initial suspicious glances at our surroundings, I'll probably be relying on Passive Perception (at least until we have a commanding view from the top of the mesa), because I also want to know:
Are there any natural phenomena could have caused the destruction of the entire village in this fashion? Nature (Intelligence): 1d20+2 20
Are the animals behaving normally for kanks/erdlus/whatever? Are they scared, hungry, enraged? Do they look like they're diseased or otherwise physically impaired? Animal Handling (Wisdom): 1d20+5 19

I'm saving my own Detect Poison and Disease until we move into the village and I'm within 30' of the corpses/water supply/animals -- though by then GL may be done with his ritual and able to do the detecting instead.

Spell DC: 8 +2 (Proficiency) +3 (WIS) = 13
Spell Attack Bonus: +2 (Proficiency) +3 (WIS) = +5
Cantrips Known: 3 + 1 Domain
Spells Prepared: 4 +2 Domain @ Level 1
Spell Slots: 2 @ Level 1
Cantrips: Guidance, Mending, Mold Earth (Domain), Shillelagh, Body Equilibrium (Psionic)
Level 1: Bless, Detect Poison and Disease, Earth Tremor (Domain), Goodberry (Domain), Shield of Faith, Wrathful Smite

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Obsidian stops in his tracks and wordlessly points at the figure to ensure that the others all see it too. Then he gestures for whoever (or whatever) it is to come out of the tent toward them.

Cantrips (3+1 Known): Guidance, Mending, Mold Earth (Domain), Shillelagh, Body Equilibrium (Psionic)
Level 1 (4+2 Prepared, 2/2 Slots): Bless, Detect Poison and Disease, Earth Tremor (Domain), Goodberry (Domain), Shield of Faith, Wrathful Smite

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Obsidian joins the others in carefully approaching the man. As he circles around the fire, he peers into the other dwellings nearby to make sure there's no one else there, waiting to ambush them.

Cantrips (3+1 Known): Guidance, Mending, Mold Earth (Domain), Shillelagh, Body Equilibrium (Psionic)
Level 1 (4+2 Prepared, 2/2 Slots): Bless, Detect Poison and Disease, Earth Tremor (Domain), Goodberry (Domain), Shield of Faith, Wrathful Smite

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 5, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Almost before the man is finished, Obsidian turns. "I will retrieve the others," he says, before sprinting back to the halfling and the genasi, keeping his eyes on the skies as he does. Once he is close enough to communicate relatively quietly, he says simply, "Aarakocra." Gesticulating above them (and hoping Haffanu can see where he is pointing), he continues, "Watch the skies, and get inside; our beasts of burden should be fine -- they are not the creatures' targets. Our remaining companion is still in danger, however; I will go to warn him her."

I can move 90' in a round when I Dash, so I can get back to the others pretty quickly. If I have any movement left after warning them, I'll start the round trip back toward the mesa. Unless someone can communicate with Haffanu magically/psionically, I'll go into Stealth mode next in order to retrieve him.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 8, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"What did you see when you were up there, Haffanu?" Obsidian asks. "If there was no sign of them, perhaps we should wait within the village and ambush them in return. But if we know where they are, we should eliminate the threat."

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 8, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"So: we climb the mesa and take the fight to them. I will guard Haffanu from the divers. If they are not there, we return and wait for them here, with the same plan in place.

"First, though, we should gather the survivors together and ensure they have food and water, to ease their suffering."

My kank, with a barrel full of water, is being left for the villagers (for now). If there's no food anywhere they can have my rations as well.
As long at least one person watches the skies for me, I'll move among the dwellings to round up the survivors -- I should never be more than one Dash away from cover.
Do we need any further plan?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Melchiresa posted:

Just checking in - seems like you guys want to go up at the end of the next waves. Does that sound right?

I am Obsidian and I approve this message.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Obsidian listents intently as the aarakocra debate the hunting of the villagers. As they depart, he remains silent, pulling the hood of his sand-colored cloak over his head and stepping carefully out of the hut to watch them. Just as silently, he sets off after them.

Tailing the Aarakocra: Perception: 1d20+5 17 -- I should be able to keep sight of them.
Tailing the Aarakocra: Stealth: 1d20+4 19 -- while avoiding detection myself.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 9, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Are the three closest baddies still on the ground? If so, I can get close enough this round to hit all three with Earth Tremor (provided nobody else is in the way when my turn comes up). If not, then I should probably do what I said a while back and guard Haffanu from the divers.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Hefting his club, Obsidian prepares to fend off any diving aarakocra that threaten those around him. Though his weapon appears small, Obsidian's brief incantation imbues it with the solidity and heft of solid rock.

Casting shillelagh as a bonus action. Readying an action to melee attack anyone who comes within range of Haffanu.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

[HP: 2/10][AC:17]

Calling once again upon the power of the Earth, Obsidian swings his weapon at the bird creatures, and his mystically-imbued club crashes down on them like an avalanche.

It looks like the aarakocra attacking Haffanu would have to move within my reach to get to him. If that's the case, I'm using my delayed action to attack it:
Attack; Damage: 1d20+5 22 1d8+3 11

And for my action this round I'm casting Wrathful Smite and attacking the aarakocra that stabbed me:
Attack; Damage: 1d20+5 16 1d8+1d6+3 9
On top of the damage, it must make a Wisdom save or be Frightened of me.

Level 1 (4+2 Prepared, 1/2 Slots): Bless, Detect Poison and Disease, Earth Tremor (Domain), Goodberry (Domain), Shield of Faith, Wrathful Smite

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

It probably just went around you.

I'm not sure about that. Aaarakocra have 50' of movement, and it was on the ground at the start of the round, so I don't think it can get high enough to be out of my reach and still make it to P14. In fact, if two diagonal moves cost 15' of movement (instead of 10'), then it looks like it can't get to Haffanu at all with 50' of movement, and could only engage Obsidian, Tazoc, or Ja'eel in the first round. But if moving diagonally is always only 5', then yes, it can go around Obsidian and still have movement to spare after it reaches Haffanu.

• Locked thread