Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone played, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I heard it's kind of buggy at present, but aside from that it's a solid sequel to EU/EW. I'm going to get it in the Summer Sale probably

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its gnarly

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

its cool. the destructible environments were badass so you could do things like blow up half a building to get your sniper a clear shot in there

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I heard it's kind of buggy at present, but aside from that it's a solid sequel to EU/EW. I'm going to get it in the Summer Sale probably

yeah it kinda runs like poo poo and has some weird bugs

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Larry Parrish posted:

has anyone played, this.

Its ok op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's good and much better than XCOM 1 which stank.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Alain Post posted:

It's good and much better than XCOM 1 which stank.

This.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The constant animation delay on every action ruined it for me, but there's probably mods that change that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Azraelle posted:

The constant animation delay on every action ruined it for me, but there's probably mods that change that.

They patched in a setting that cuts a lot of that down

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Srice posted:

They patched in a setting that cuts a lot of that down

That's good. I wouldn't be surprised if like 10-20% of the mission time was me waiting for my dudes to finish animating.

Most of the improvements were good, but it still felt like the map decisions typically had one optimal choice, the UI still don't make it clear enough where you have vision, and it seemed like there existed a difficulty plateau you could reach where you had enough tools to reliably counter anything the aliens threw at you. Maybe I should have played ironman, but I don't feel like doing that with a game that takes 30-40 hours to complete.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Azraelle posted:

Yeah man

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620600092

this mod eliminates a ton of those pauses, the flow feels a lot more like xcom 1 with this mod

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have a weird hang up regarding paying more than 50$ for a PC game. Can't, won't, take your pick.

I'll get it on sale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The XCOM games seem interesting to me but I always have hundreds of hours of various I played Fire Emblem games that I use as my strategy pick. I hope the next one they make is a console game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks guys. I spent this months game budget on Dark Souls 3 though so I'll wait till I beat that to buy it probably.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The XCOM games seem interesting to me but I always have hundreds of hours of various I played Fire Emblem games that I use as my strategy pick. I hope the next one they make is a console game

The new XCOM 1 was a console game and it was rear end. Don't put that evil on us.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

The new XCOM 1 was a console game and it was rear end. Don't put that evil on us.

I meant the new FE. I thought the XCOM reboot was good? I dont really know anything about these games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It wasn't good but I don't think it had anything to do with being a console game

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

has anyone played, this.

It's good but get one of the mods that make Bradford quieter up so he can stop telling you PEOPLE ARE DYING every turn during the Retaliation Missions.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It was buggy rear end hell so I stopped playing it. IDK if it's been fixed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

In Training posted:

I meant the new FE. I thought the XCOM reboot was good? I dont really know anything about these games.

xcom reboot was v good but there's a lot of supersperg hangups that would keep you from playing 50 games of it the way you did the 1994 xcom (or the most recent one, the most recent one has a lot of stuff to keep you coming back)

you bought xcom reboot expecting to play it for like 30-40 hours and then closing it, which even at release price was a pretty ok deal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alain Post posted:

It wasn't good but I don't think it had anything to do with being a console game

It had everything to do with it; they specifically had a really low squad size and map size because of the console releases

The expansion fixed some of that though.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The Ghost Recon game in the 3DS launch lineup is a decent portable XCOM game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They just released the XCOM Enemy Unknown on Vita so I was thinking of checking it out

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Chryssalids are still spooky.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

In Training posted:

It was a piece of poo poo.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

It had everything to do with it; they specifically had a really low squad size and map size because of the console releases

squad sizes are still capped at 6, but they built the game with modding in mind this time so you can easily get bigger squads and add in more enemies to balance it out a bit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Long War for Xcom 2012 and it was good for a while but now every mission is just several clown cars of 20hp super floaters and Muton elites crammed into a stupidly tiny map and I'm starting to get kind of bored

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i think most people agree that terror form the deep is vastly inferior to enemy unknown

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i think most people agree that terror form the deep is vastly inferior to enemy unknown

true

tftd was a pretty half-hearted expansion pack, not even really a full game. also it's ridic hard because the difficulty in EU/UFO Defense/whatever the gently caress you want to call it was bugged and any time you loaded your game it reset to beginner difficulty. everyone bitched it was too easy and microprose didn't even know about the loving bug until after tftd was released

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing Long War for Xcom 2012 and it was good for a while but now every mission is just several clown cars of 20hp super floaters and Muton elites crammed into a stupidly tiny map and I'm starting to get kind of bored

this is basically the heart of the back and forth that lit up the pro-LW and anti-LW people in the Games thread i ran for like 2 years

the argument was insanely Games/gay

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

they tried to change perfection

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Xcom reboot was really good. Outside of this thread I've heard, maybe, 4 people out of hundreds say it wasn't. A rare game where the difficulty modes really made for a different style of game. My only criticism is the base development is pretty cookie cutter and there's one clearly superior strategy.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Everyone in tis thread likes it except for Ragg OP.

Dec 26, 2012

the xcom reboot was pretty lacking and xcom 2 is noticeably better. i feel like it could have done way more with the stealth thing though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything is better than the enemy never moving at all outside of terror missions until you physically see them, and then they get a free move into cover because console gaming FTW

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Anything is better than the enemy never moving at all outside of terror missions until you physically see them, and then they get a free move into cover because console gaming FTW

i think they still dont move around out of view, but the stealth thing helps a bit with that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they do still move out of view and they also still get a scamper after they're activated and loving lol you're an idiot if you think that's a console thing

that's a "hey this would be the easiest loving thing in the world if this didn't happen" thing

In 2 you get to set up some sweet as gently caress ambushes though so you get the best part of it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Larry Parrish posted:

The biggest problem was the mechanics encouraging overly conservative play which only had to do with that in that the lower squad limits made the prospects of losing a guy a much bigger issue.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

they do still move out of view and they also still get a scamper after they're activated and loving lol you're an idiot if you think that's a console thing

that's a "hey this would be the easiest loving thing in the world if this didn't happen" thing

In 2 you get to set up some sweet as gently caress ambushes though so you get the best part of it

Xenonauts and the original XCOM are extremely difficult without having huge numbers of big HP enemies, or having the enemy always be in perfect cover

They scamper into cover because the developers wanted to keep the level exploration aspect but were too lazy to design good levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loving hate the scampering into cover thing. Oh I moved my last dude to the side a bit to flank someone? Well there was a pod of mutons around there and they immediately get to hop into cover and gun down half my defenseless guys. Obviously you can mitigate the chances of that happening but it’s still poo poo. And if you activate them on your first dude you can wipe them all out easily. Dumb. It's especially bad in Long War with the increased enemy pods. My biggest problem with it really is that it just doesn’t make for remotely interesting tactical gameplay, it just forces you to play it safe and sigh when you move a square too far and a clown car honks its way into the scene and 12 floaters spill out.

Oh yeah Xenonauts is really good. I love original X-Com but I don’t really feel the need to go back to it now that Xenonauts exists since it’s a 90% perfect remake with a lot more modern quality of life stuff, pity it has no psionics and approximately zero charm by comparison.

Coolguye posted:

this is basically the heart of the back and forth that lit up the pro-LW and anti-LW people in the Games thread i ran for like 2 years
the argument was insanely Games/gay
I’m enjoying it a bit more now that I’m making sure to bring loads of explosives and stuff like that. I don’t think I can blame LW because it’s just showing up the problems with the base game that it would take, well, a whole new game to fix. The activating enemies thing, the small maps (though I think it adds more and slightly bigger ones?), the really fuckin limiting two-actions thing instead of perfectly good action points. There’s basically no way to add difficulty to XCOM 2012 other than more enemies, more enemy HP and more cheap enemy attacks, unless you remake the game from the ground up.

• Locked thread