Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

Xenonauts and the original XCOM are extremely difficult without having huge numbers of big HP enemies, or having the enemy always be in perfect cover

They scamper into cover because the developers wanted to keep the level exploration aspect but were too lazy to design good levels.

as opposed to the original xcom devs, who put so much effort into their level design of 'generic square templates mashed together into a grid'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I’m enjoying it a bit more now that I’m making sure to bring loads of explosives and stuff like that.
I just moved my first character on a normal abduction mission, still in blue squares, and he triggered five elite mutons, an ethereal, four floaters, two heavy floaters and five seekers. gently caress this game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Larry Parrish posted:

Xenonauts and the original XCOM are extremely difficult without having huge numbers of big HP enemies, or having the enemy always be in perfect cover
cover isn't even a real mechanic in either of those games like at all so you're wrong and a doody head

the closest thing you get is random los weirdness that might save you from one hit, or concealment by moving behind a wall which works identically in both games

also fuckin lol if you think 1994 XCOM was hard. even on superhuman you had like 2 or 3 touch and go months and then you just started exploiting squad sight on everyone with heavy plasma and it was game over, aliens would never step to you again

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loving hate the scampering into cover thing. Oh I moved my last dude to the side a bit to flank someone? Well there was a pod of mutons around there and they immediately get to hop into cover and gun down half my defenseless guys. Obviously you can mitigate the chances of that happening but it’s still poo poo. And if you activate them on your first dude you can wipe them all out easily. Dumb.
yeah the scamper mechanic makes sense from a difficulty perspective imo (otherwise you could just get an entire turn of shooting people who are picking their assholes) but the way it was in EU left a lot of weird stuff going on. it's way better in 2 because generally you will only do that sort of activation on your first enemy pod, which you have concealment against in most cases and you get the hella sweet ambush you deserve. beyond that, most enemies activate because they are investigating noise and therefore do so at maximum range...which basically means they show up using cover like aware enemies should be

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*clown car full of floaters honks madly in the distance as it drops off another six*

Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*clown car full of floaters honks madly in the distance as it drops off another six*

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Everyone in tis thread likes it except for Ragg OP.

ragg is smart and mmy friend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Ragg thread about RONIN made me buy that game and it was a blast so I trust him.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i still need to beat the last level of ronin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

I think I only beat like 40% of it

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

its cool then you unlock ng+ which is basically hard mode and you gotta deal with stuff like the assault rifle dudes actually spraying their shots around

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ronin is really good but I’m literally too stupid to deal with the gunners on NG+ and am stuck on like the fifth level.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ronin is really good but I’m literally too stupid to deal with the gunners on NG+ and am stuck on like the fifth level.

i never ended up beating the third level or something, its brutal though

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SM64Guy posted:

its cool then you unlock ng+ which is basically hard mode and you gotta deal with stuff like the assault rifle dudes actually spraying their shots around

Its cool

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The original xcom was really easy once you realized that the cheapest resource was human lives - a grizzled commander that youve kept alive the whole campaign is about as useful as two rookies
A person costs about as much as a rifle so you just keep throwing bodies at the problem

DebonaireD fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 4, 2016

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
this game should be xcommunicated.... TO HELL!!! :twisted:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DebonaireD posted:

The original xcom was really easy once you realized that the cheapest resource was human lives - a grizzled commander that youve kept alive the whole campaign is about as useful as two rookies
A person costs about as much as a rifle so you just keep throwing bodies at the problem

Here's how my bitmoji feels about this post:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really liked enemy within because if my buds got mortally injured it was a quicker recovery to slice all their limbs off instead of wait the five or six days to get outta icu

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also mega punching a muton that was taking covert against an alley through a wall from inside a building was bliss

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the exo suit guys were badass. It was also funny when you had people with full gene upgrades turn out to be psychics also.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

xcom 2's late game is complete baby mode

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Did they ever patch out all of the crashes everyone was complaining about when it released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nobody's whined about more than an isolated crash/bugs due to mods in the xcom 2 games thread for a while now and having run those threads for like 3 years now i can tell you that the people in there will whine about loving ANYTHING so i'm currently under the impression that things work pretty good

• Locked thread