Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A really brief legal glossary

Lawsuit: an action brought in civil law by one private individual to other. In court, it's the person bringing the complaint (the plaintiff) versus the person who did the thing (the defendant). Aka a civil case.
Tort: the cause of action in a civil case. Fill in the blank: "I am suing you for _________." That's your tort. Torts are usually not illegal, they're just dickish. Torts come from the common law.
Liable: the thing you are if the court finds you've committed a tort.
Crime: something prohibited by statute (THE LAW). When it goes to court, the police/state/government etc deal with it.
Guilty: the thing you are if the court finds you've committed a crime.
Common Law: a system of laws created by courts ("precedents").
v: short for AND, not versus. A pet peeve of lawyers everywhere.

Sometimes, an act can be simultaneously a crime and a tort, like assault: civil assault is any unwanted touching*, while criminal assault has a much higher threshold to breach. If somebody punches you in the chops, they've committed both. Most cases of criminal assault are also civil assault, but not all civil assaults are criminal assault - depending on your jurisdiction, you may be prohibited from bringing a civil case if there's a simultaneous criminal case on the same charge.

Acts can also sometimes be a tort and sometimes be a crime depending on how they're done eg civil vs criminal trespass largely depends on where you're trespassing (nb: these examples might not apply in your country).

Re Davies, I really don't have a good answer for why they brought trespass to property. It's a crazy lawsuit. Australian lawsuits are so loving weird sometimes.

* specifically in NZ where I am, causing somebody to reasonably anticipate an unwanted touching. The actual touching is battery, which is a different tort. They're often seen together, for obvious reasons.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

dpbjinc posted:

I'm pretty sure the most applicable tort would be conversion, i.e. intentional misuse of another's property. I have no idea why they'd try arguing trespass over conversion.

Conversion would require a showing of actual interference of enjoyment of property. Trespass doesn't require an actual showing of harm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

v: short for AND, not versus. A pet peeve of lawyers everywhere.

Wikipedia posted:

The "v" separating the parties is an abbreviation of the Latin versus, but, when spoken in Commonwealth countries, it is normally rendered as "and" or "against"

Hmm…

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, that's what I said. Against =/= versus.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bagged and tagged that guy in first year law who raises his hand at every lecture to tell the tutor he is just that slightly wrong. What a magnificent beast. They usually don't last after the first couple of semesters so this is incredibly rare.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yes, that's what I said. Against =/= versus.

It may be tradition to pronounce it “and” in Britain, but it quite literally is short for versus.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It may be tradition to pronounce it “and” in Britain, but it quite literally is short for versus.
It may be the original etymology, but saying "versus" is considered poor form, and sounds weird and archaic. Nobody does it.

Except maybe Americans; I can't speak for those guys. I hear they don't use the metric system so ???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got an $850 million example that it's versus.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It's "versus" here :patriot: but people usually just say "v". "Loving vee Virginia," etc.

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

Stex T posted:

Conversion would require a showing of actual interference of enjoyment of property. Trespass doesn't require an actual showing of harm.

Also might be a dodge around emotional distress damage requirements in the jurisdiction. I have a case right now with a dead dog, and making the case worth anything is a process of trying to shoe-horn into causes of action that allow you to seek emotional damages. We're probably going to put a lot more effort into claims re: breach of contract than anything specific to the dog itself, since the value of a pet is minimal and even in California, you have to get pretty creative to ask for emotional damages.

One of my favorite decisions was written by a judge in OR's federal court, in which a dude sued Satan and all his agents. Pretty garden-variety schizo claim, but the judge wrote an essay on how Satan might be immune to process as a foreign head of state, and moreover the plaintiff hadn't provided a service address for the marshals. While Hell is reputed to be in many places, none were convenient to the jurisdiction, and really plaintiff's claim needed to be served in person, anyway. If he could provide better service instructions, he was instructed to refile.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Girl denied spot on Leon cheerleading team threatens legal action

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

So whats her game plan here? She sues the school/district and gets put on the team, then all the coaches and players hate her and she rides the bench or isnt included in routines.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

This recreation of a deposition makes me laugh every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

So whats her game plan here? She sues the school/district and gets put on the team, then all the coaches and players hate her and she rides the bench or isnt included in routines.

And then she sues them again for not letting her actually do anything. It's the perfect plan.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

FuhrerHat posted:

This recreation of a deposition makes me laugh every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

:boom:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

FistOfTacitus posted:

One of my favorite decisions was written by a judge in OR's federal court, in which a dude sued Satan and all his agents. Pretty garden-variety schizo claim, but the judge wrote an essay on how Satan might be immune to process as a foreign head of state, and moreover the plaintiff hadn't provided a service address for the marshals. While Hell is reputed to be in many places, none were convenient to the jurisdiction, and really plaintiff's claim needed to be served in person, anyway. If he could provide better service instructions, he was instructed to refile.

The best thing to do is to have some process server commit suicide in some horribly depraved manner, and when he enters the Kingdom of the Damned he can go to Satan and be like PSYCHE, BITCH.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Beekeeping and You posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice This is a goldmine of people trying to get advice from the internet, and it backfiring spectacularly.

lol i didn't realise how big a goldmine this is

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think the worst kind of Sovereign Citizens aren't the idiots who try to get out of taxes or court appearances with magical words but the ones who use it to be dicks for no loving reason. I've seen so many videos of cops pulling guys over for speeding and they're super polite and asking for the normal stuff and the SC is just a confrontational rear end in a top hat.

"Excuse me, license and registration please?"
"UH, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY I MUST COMPLY? PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVE IMPEDED MY PROGRESS? WHY HAVE YOU DETAINED ME?"

SC are just people that desperately want to be in an argument at all times.

My favorite was a video of a guy in Britain who is fleeing from police and when the cops finally pull him over he acts like them being angry and asking for him to leave his car is a nightmarish infringement of his rights. I believe he calls the cops busting down his window that he refuses to roll down "Thuggery".

The reason those vids are so great is secretly the cops. As soon as the sov cit starts spouting their bullshit you can just see these little flashes of seething hatred across the officers faces. Also the reason cops go hard on them (busting windows, popping tasers, etc) is because sov cits used to be, and to a certain extent still are, avid cop killers.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol i didn't realise how big a goldmine this is

I for one would prefer reddit user Total Carnage not come into my city and lure Amish children into vans, but I can't say I know the legality of it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I for one would prefer reddit user Total Carnage not come into my city and lure Amish children into vans, but I can't say I know the legality of it

The ones around where I live steal people's poo poo and break into cars. But it doesn't sound like he's going to relocate and release them in a different place just play videogames and let them go. What I need is a Pied Piper to remove all the Amish kids from town.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

The ones around where I live steal people's poo poo and break into cars. But it doesn't sound like he's going to relocate and release them in a different place just play videogames and let them go. What I need is a Pied Piper to remove all the Amish kids from town.

I didn't realize there were parts of the US where people viewed the Amish like how brits view Irish gypsies

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm confused at the question at all. Is it some super-edgy "gonna show these shut-in religious kids the real world through the magic of VIDYAGAMES" or....?

But yeah - the first response to it is probably the best.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The reason those vids are so great is secretly the cops. As soon as the sov cit starts spouting their bullshit you can just see these little flashes of seething hatred across the officers faces. Also the reason cops go hard on them (busting windows, popping tasers, etc) is because sov cits used to be, and to a certain extent still are, avid cop killers.

As a non-American, most of those videos display wild overreactions on the part of the 'police' include utterly uncalled for taser use. There are also a few videos where the cops back off when they start spouting their nonsense, which doesn't imply anything good about the cops

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cumslut1895 posted:

As a non-American, most of those videos display wild overreactions on the part of the 'police' include utterly uncalled for taser use. There are also a few videos where the cops back off when they start spouting their nonsense, which doesn't imply anything good about the cops

Sovcits are literally dangerous. They're labelled as "domestic terrorists" for some drat good reasons. Ever notice that every police officer instantly calls for backup and flips into tough guy mode when they realize what they're dealing with? That's why.

These are people who have decided that the federal government is illegitimate. Police officers are agents of the government and thus agents of tyranny in their minds. They're also tied up in the Second Revolution/3%/militia/idiot rednecks with AR-15s movement. They very frequently believe that killing police is a right and good thing to do and are often equipped to do it.

Yes, America's police are prone to brutality but trust me, you do NOT want to gently caress around with sovcits.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Also the reason cops go hard on them (busting windows, popping tasers, etc) is because sov cits used to be, and to a certain extent still are, avid cop killers.

Bullshit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Cumslut1895 posted:

So....it's bad if they react and bad if they leave?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

FAROOQ posted:

Bullshit.

You can call it bullshit all you like, but that doesn't magically make it any less true. Sorry buddy, you're on the wrong side of the fence on this one.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

So....it's bad if they react and bad if they leave?

Tasing somebody for mouthing off at you is totally hosed up. Breaking somebodies window because they're being a dick is hosed up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I didn't realize there were parts of the US where people viewed the Amish like how brits view Irish gypsies

I like having car windows ):

Although the biggest issue I have with the Amish is the fact they think a single lantern hanging off the side of the buggy is adequate lighting for things like rain and snow and even just regular nights.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

aardwolf posted:

You can call it bullshit all you like, but that doesn't magically make it any less true. Sorry buddy, you're on the wrong side of the fence on this one.

I'm sure you believe your bullshit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^. They literally provided proof though

Edit: Wait are you a sovereign citizen?

Cumslut1895 posted:

Tasing somebody for mouthing off at you is totally hosed up. Breaking somebodies window because they're being a dick is hosed up.

And backing off is hosed up as well? You said that them backing off said something bad as well, How are they supposed to proceed if a dude literally refuses every single command? This isn't some cop beating them up for no reason, they ask 100 times for a license and the dude quotes penal law badly 40 times.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone ever reply to FAROOQ in PYF

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

http://www.start.umd.edu/news/sovereign-citizen-movement-perceived-top-terrorist-threat

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
That literally says islamic terrorism is a real threat, so PYF disagrees with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Why did you put police in scare quotes?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Korgan posted:

I can't speak for him but maybe it's because police are pieces of poo poo who don't deserve to be called police.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

FuhrerHat posted:

These are amazing. People say the most insane things in depositions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jre-aMAgP5I

Like you have to keep it in your mind that some poor stenographer had to write this all down

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Don't let Farooq and cumslut derail the thread :(

Here's a short one, I can post some more later:

Guy works at an office. A woman starts working there as well, and he begins creeping on her. There are weird Facebook messages, emails from him to her in another language talking about how she looks that day, and a general creepiness. This is not the first woman at the office he has done this to, but the other women haven't wanted to press the issue. The new woman gives no fucks and goes to management, who tell the guy he cannot talk to her anymore, and she's not allowed to talk to him. Both parties comply.

All seems resolved until the day that he wears a blue tie and she wears a blue skirt. In his mind, that was her signal that she actually wants to talk! So he starts up again. Eventually, management decides they cannot have this going on anymore, and fire his rear end. He is now suing the employer for racial discrimination and reverse gender discrimination. Where did the racial discrimination come from? The office didn't like the candies he brought back from vacation, those racist bastards.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Korgan posted:

I'm like 60% sure that a lot of american police just bought their uniforms at costume shops.

Edit: For actual content, see https://www.reddit.com/r/badlegaladvice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best Reddit legal advice thread ever was the guy they told to talk to every divorce lawyer in his town so his wife couldn't hire one. I think it happened on the Sopranos. He did, and when the judge found out, he got found in contempt for acting maliciously.

• Locked thread