Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think he just means something like Amazon EC2. I have a GPU 2xlarge instance running, right now, training a recurrent neural network to spew humorous text. You can get them for less than $.15 per hour if you use spot instances. Just set your maximum bid up near the actual per-hour price, and you'll usually be good for hours. You can also get the 8xlarge, which has monster CUDA power.

Incidentally, I already had almost all of the requirements for that neural picture-maker already installed on my rnn EC2 instance. I just got it up and running in about two minutes. If it works, and I am feeling better later on, I may take requests.
Can you help me out and point me in the direction to get that stuff setup? I have this thing running on a local VM, and its chugging along but Its taking all my processing power so I gotta turn it off. It looks like it will take me 4 hours to do 100 iterations.

So, I got all the technical stuff, I just need some help understanding how to work with Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I only did 500 iterations, because it's sharing the GPU with my RNN project:

Neural networks are cool.

Nice! Will you be willing to take over requests in the thread?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are we allowed to double-dip requests? Because I got a great idea for whomever can mash these two togethers

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

KoRMaK posted:

Can you help me out and point me in the direction to get that stuff setup? I have this thing running on a local VM, and its chugging along but Its taking all my processing power so I gotta turn it off. It looks like it will take me 4 hours to do 100 iterations.

So, I got all the technical stuff, I just need some help understanding how to work with Amazon.

Paladinus posted:

Nice! Will you be willing to take over requests in the thread?

Sure. I can help with both of those things later on tonight.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

with

with

with

with

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No problem! I can manage this for a while longer.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Actually, it looks like I got it figured out. If I have questions though I'll post in here. Turns out I just had to signup for amazon services!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Paladinus posted:

Pretty colours.

Sweeeet.

Spoonbill in assorted Japanese fabrics.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I only did 500 iterations, because it's sharing the GPU with my RNN project:

Neural networks are cool.

Was it easy to setup?

edit: that is to say, were you able just to follow the step by step and it worked? I dont have a server but I have a OC'd skylake + 980ti since it apparently uses cuda

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 30, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Was it easy to setup?

edit: that is to say, were you able just to follow the step by step and it worked?

I'm going through it right now. The linux part is super easy, took me like 10 minutes of copy/pasting some commands.

What is holding me up now is setting up Amazon EC2. I've never done it before, so I have a lot of questions with everything I'm selecting. Like, for instance, should I first create an AMI and then use that? If so, how the hell do I do that.

e: To your "e" question - yes, its dirt simple.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

KoRMaK posted:

I'm going through it right now. The linux part is super easy, took me like 10 minutes of copy/pasting some commands.

What is holding me up now is setting up Amazon EC2. I've never done it before, so I have a lot of questions with everything I'm selecting. Like, for instance, should I first create an AMI and then use that? If so, how the hell do I do that.

Sweet the results are so insanely interesting I'm pretty excited to try it

But I've never used linux :smith: so this is probably going to be a major headache fumbling around

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I really liked how this one turned out, even though its not that crazy, it looks like a screen shot from some sort of weird Dune adventure game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i used the one website someone linked earlier to make this one

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

KoRMaK posted:

Use a g2.2xlarge instance. Select CentOS 7.2 with cloud init from the community AMIs.

The same picture as before, but done with 2,000 iterations.

Edit: The Amazon instance costs me like $20/day, so I won't be able to take huge numbers of requests.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Here's your monster dog.

That will be the last for the night, but I'll be back tomorrow with the rest.

drat Thats straight out of the movie "The Thing"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Use a g2.2xlarge instance. Select CentOS 7.2 with cloud init from the community AMIs.

The same picture as before, but done with 2,000 iterations.

Edit: The Amazon instance costs me like $20/day, so I won't be able to take huge numbers of requests.

Oh man, but I'm only use to ubuntu :( Will it be mostly the same?

e: there's two AMIs like that, hvm and para - I'm guessing I should go with a HVM if I want to take advantage of CUDA?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 30, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh boy. Can't wait for pages of reactions from this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Huh.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

they should be effectively the same for what you need. there are different commands to install packages

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I am doing this one. Can't promise it will be real soon.

KoRMaK posted:

e: there's two AMIs like that, hvm and para - I'm guessing I should go with a HVM if I want to take advantage of CUDA?

The package names will be different, since CentOS uses yum instead of apt-get, but it's similar. I had some issues using GPU with Ubuntu on Amazon, so I stick with CentOS.

Edit: Yes, HVM.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gatekeeper posted:

ahh drat I meant for the order to be switched. still magnificent tho, thanks!!

Here you go.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

i seriously dont even want to see this one

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Use goatse as the first pic.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

traumatize me lord internet

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

If this ends up being less than stellar, please Goatse the seed pods.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Well for a little trip report for anybody who cares I just installed Ubuntu for the first time ever (followed the step by step on their website) and am pretty much finished with the installation of the ostagram crap not knowing anything at all about linux so if youre interested dont be afraid

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Well for a little trip report for anybody who cares I just installed Ubuntu for the first time ever (followed the step by step on their website) and am pretty much finished with the installation of the ostagram crap not knowing anything at all about linux so if youre interested dont be afraid

Are you using virtual box or Amazon? I'd like to try it out but last I checked you can't use CUDA through virtual box :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This one's positively magical...

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

gibb3h posted:

Are you using virtual box or Amazon? I'd like to try it out but last I checked you can't use CUDA through virtual box :(

I am using virtual box here at work just to give it a little test run but im expecting performance to be awful of course. When I get home im going to just install it as dual boot on my computer so I get all the sweet performance

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E2: Actually this is a better fit for Meatship

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 30, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EorayMel posted:

Are we allowed to double-dip requests? Because I got a great idea for whomever can mash these two togethers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a pity the one us plebs use takes hours cause I feel like I could spend some time finding the right giger picture and giant robot to combine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

No problem! I can manage this for a while longer.

Are you the goon that hired c-horse godbless

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Are you the goon that hired c-horse godbless

Most definitely not, whatever c-horse is.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Even better than I expected, thanks.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i seriously dont even want to see this one

It came out pretty goofy. I think the pictures being very different in dimensions has something to do with it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It came out pretty goofy. I think the pictures being very different in dimensions has something to do with it.

Jesus Christ.

I've added this to the queue, so we'll be able to compare the result. I suspect they run less than 500 iterations on the website.

• Locked thread