Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
I use CentOS with SELinux because I hate myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

* Open Source NVIDIA driver is much slower (up to five times) than its proprietary counterpart
* AMD and Intel graphics drivers can be signficantly slower than their proprietary counterparts
* The most recent test shows that open source AMD and NVIDIA drivers struggle to properly support many types of video cards.
* Open Source NVIDIA driver do not properly and fully support power management features and fan speed management.

oh ok so literally nothing has changed since the last time i attempted to use linux 8 years ago

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

oh ok so literally nothing has changed since the last time i attempted to use linux 8 years ago

Hmm I have a 980ti hopefully it won't run the fans on high 24/7.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SweetKarma posted:

24 hrsand 3,200 config files later I can finally connect to the internet. Doesn't recognize my flash drive after formatting it. I love this operating system. So sleek and modern.

Well I have bad news for you buddy, soon your car and your toaster and your oven and pretty much everything is going to be running linux and connected to the internet. Right now I'm working on making this the case for 100-ton construction vehicles, God help us all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buca di Bepis posted:

Not sure why anyone who isn't overfond of trains would be running the open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones, but then again that runs counter to the schtick of the thread.

Demonachizer posted:

So I know this thread is a send up of linux but I am actually planning on replacing the OS on my laptop with linux and on my desktop I will add a second drive to boot to linux for most of my day to day work. This is all because of the bullshit with the windows 10 upgrade trying to be forced down my throat.

Any suggestions as to what version of linux I should use? I was thinking of Ubuntu but am not sure it has good support for hiDPI monitors (mine is a 3k monitor).

OpenSUSE makes life easy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

notZaar posted:

Just imagine how much money you saved over buying one of those hideously expensive universal remote garage door openers that clips to your keychain.

Yeah, but then you can only open the door when you are in range. Make it a phone app and you can open and close your garage door from anywhere! True freedom at last.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I have an old laptop around here somewhere with Ubuntu installed. Might come in handy if there's a cyber attack that breaks all the windows machines is my reasoning.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
When I was working on my redhat 64bit linux vm in the console. One of my coworkers went insane with rage when he saw me as root in my own VM. He told me I need to use his special bash he made and not be admin and just sudo everything. I think I hurt his feelings when I told him I didn't want to buy a raspberry pi. What the heck, what would I do with a raspberry pi?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Edgar posted:

When I was working on my redhat 64bit linux vm in the console. One of my coworkers went insane with rage when he saw me as root in my own VM. He told me I need to use his special bash he made and not be admin and just sudo everything. I think I hurt his feelings when I told him I didn't want to buy a raspberry pi. What the heck, what would I do with a raspberry pi?

I just found out today that our software engineers have been having a protracted battle with IT over the use of VMware and linux, meanwhile over in EE land we've been using it for a while and loving telling IT about anything until I need a new laptop.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar posted:

You could stick it where the sun don't shine for all I care, sweetheart.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

notZaar posted:

You could stick it where the sun don't shine for all I care, sweetheart.

Can I play crysis on it though?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not sure why anyone who isn't overfond of trains would be running the open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones, but then again that runs counter to the schtick of the thread.

I recall something about distros only including the open source ones by default and it being a pain to switch out for the proprietary ones, especially if the open source drivers are broken so hard that you can't even get to a GUI

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buca di Bepis posted:

I recall something about distros only including the open source ones by default and it being a pain to switch out for the proprietary ones, especially if the open source drivers are broken so hard that you can't even get to a GUI

A lot of the major distros don't include the proprietary drivers out of the box, but it's usually a matter of a couple of button clicks to get them.

Some distros just go ahead and bundle them with the initial install, too.

Looks like I have 53 games for Linux in my Steam library - just checked.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

FreeDOS is the one true hip hop operating system.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm taking a shot every time a Build presenter says, "that's impressive" about what they presented. If you have to say it's impressive, it's not, fucknuts.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

I'm taking a shot every time a Build presenter says, "that's impressive" about what they presented. If you have to say it's impressive, it's not, fucknuts.

they are not selling the sausage, they are selling the sizzle.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Seriously Retropie is the best thing ever and I'm loving shocked I never used it before...

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

staberind posted:

they are not selling the sausage, they are selling the sizzle.

*throws sausage into lukewarm pan*
*makes sizzling sounds with mouth*

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

*has a mac*

*installs arch in Parallels Desktop*

*uses terminal*

*installs http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/*

im a linux haxxor guys

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Yossarian posted:

Seriously Retropie is the best thing ever and I'm loving shocked I never used it before...

Good lord did they gently caress up that name. Imagine of they called it "RetroPi", that would have been genius.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Blue Train posted:

well it's officially over windows is now linux as well

Microsoft's open-source efforts are on the rise since the last few years, and the company has now announced a significant piece of news for the developer community. The company will be launching the popular Unix-shell, Bash, for Windows 10.

In partnership with Canonical, Microsoft has announced support for Bash on Windows 10, which would allow developers to access various Ubuntu binaries on Windows without switching to a Linux environment.

wrap it up

Why would you ever run Bash on windows when powershell exists.
For all those great binaries not available on windows like ...?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

notZaar posted:

Good lord did they gently caress up that name. Imagine of they called it "RetroPi", that would have been genius.

Lol I hadn't thought about that until now and you aren't kidding, seems common sense to me

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

NihilismNow posted:

Why would you ever run Bash on windows when powershell exists.
For all those great binaries not available on windows like ...?

you ever heard of a thing called a script dawg feel free to rewrite every one you encounter in powershell

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Bash is old and senile and does a lot of things in weird dumb ways but for the most part it's actually good.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Demonachizer posted:

Hmm I have a 980ti hopefully it won't run the fans on high 24/7.

For what its worth I have the same card and nvidia supposedly has wowed the linux crowd with very recent drivers. One was even released today. Also it seemed to utilize my card effectively for the neural sense crap sticky thread at the top of GBS, with ubuntu.

My knowledge of linux is precisely zero and I was up and running in Ubuntu in no time, the transition was flawless from my point of view. The gui looks like windows and apple os had a baby. I'm not advocating this version of linux over any other, but I have noticed some linux people literally get annoyed when linux isnt hard to use :v: which ubuntu is not. I imagine it depends on what your "work" is.

I actually said out loud when it was installed "I cannot believe this is free"

on the flip side, just install windows 10 you are worrying about nothing at all

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
OS X and iOS are the only good Linuxs

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why u insdtall a linux at home, u can get one from aws for like nothing

see, nothing

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/...Cinstance_types

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

jackyl posted:

why u insdtall a linux at home, u can get one from aws for like nothing

only thing more complicated than xfree11pieceofshit.config is a motherfuckin aws control panel

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MiracleWhale posted:

only thing more complicated than xfree11pieceofshit.config is a motherfuckin aws control panel

its not that hard

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

jackyl posted:

its not that hard

but I am :wiggle:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

sorry u ran out of cheerios and cant j/o

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
installing software on Windows > Double click setup.exe

Installing software on Linux > [IMG REMOVED BY MODERATORS]

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 1, 2016

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
linux is a necessary but regretful part of the it ecosystem

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SweetKarma posted:

Installing software on Linux >

./make

fuk ./configure

./ make

gently caress ./configure --help

SON A BITCH ./make install

"Now the only problem is that uic needs to know the plugin's path so it can load it. This is solved by using an undocumented commandline option in uic '-L'. So the final SConscript looks like:"

AHHHOAHHOAHSDOFAJSDFADKLFKASKDF

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SweetKarma posted:

Installing software on Linux >

installing stuff with a package manager is very convenient, you don't even have to know what the software is called or research on Google, just type in the features you want.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MiracleWhale posted:

./make

fuk ./configure

./ make

gently caress ./configure --help

SON A BITCH ./make install

"Now the only problem is that uic needs to know the plugin's path so it can load it. This is solved by using an undocumented commandline option in uic '-L'. So the final SConscript looks like:"

AHHHOAHHOAHSDOFAJSDFADKLFKASKDF

to be fair building software on Windows would probably be much more frustrating for the average user!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

installing stuff with a package manager is very convenient, you don't even have to know what the software is called or research on Google, just type in the features you want.

I want internet.

sudo apt-get install internet

E: Unable to locate package: internet

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

to be fair building software on Windows would probably be much more frustrating for the average user!

never be fair,m there this is the thread where you learned something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
getting actual real work done using linux is a loving pain in the rear end without hours and hours spent configuring the gently caress out of a million tiny apps that do one single tiny thing. Imagine NodeJS but on the scale of an OS

• Locked thread