Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
24 hrsand 3,200 config files later I can finally connect to the internet. Doesn't recognize my flash drive after formatting it. I love this operating system. So sleek and modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can someone explain linux to me, a person who does not understand computers

100 years ago some nerds in a laboratory made an operating system that was pretty cool, then like 40 years ago some nerd made his own version of that operating system and today other nerds use it and think its cool because those 100 year old nerds are their idols. Even though said operating system is obsolete.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know this is a troll post and all, but it's amazing how fast and easy Linux installs are nowadays. It wasn't that bad a decade ago, but today I'd rather do a fresh Linux install over a Windows install. 9 times out of 10 the Linux install is faster and takes less time to update afterward.

Try installing linux on hardware that wasn't created in 1998.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

what do you plan on doing with it op

Hacking and other cool linux stuff...

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I plan on becoming a l33t hax0r.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I just install it every now in then because I get bored with Windows and forget just how awful it is.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Driver isn't working? Here's the source code. Just build it yourself. Note: You'll need to have libxrcyz in order for IRQ33 to run. If you've got version 1.0.2.33 broadwell-u gpu you'll need to run xkurgan. If you have any questions just contact me on freenode.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
installing software on Windows > Double click setup.exe

Installing software on Linux > [IMG REMOVED BY MODERATORS]

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

installing stuff with a package manager is very convenient, you don't even have to know what the software is called or research on Google, just type in the features you want.

I want internet.

sudo apt-get install internet

E: Unable to locate package: internet

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I had to do some voodoo magic config file poo poo on my laptop to disable power management on my network card just to get linux to connect to the internet. Now my battery lasts about 30 minutes before dying. Such a sleek and modern OS.They can't just release a patch for that poo poo, you have to search the bowels of the internet for some uber nerd to tell you that you need to disable reg35 in your xrg.conf file. Then you have to figure out where xrg.conf is. Then you find it and you have to do some sudo chmod +x poo poo in order to even be able to edit the file. Then once you finally figure all of that out, your screen goes black because xrg.conf is only available for Ubuntu 15.10 and then you have to upgrade and then Ubuntu corrupts your flash drive so you have to get on a computer that's running Windows in order to format your flash drive and then install linux and then you kill yourself.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 1, 2016

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
$ sudo mkdir poo poo
$ cd poo poo
$ sudo cp linux .
$ ./endmylife
$ endmylife
$ endmylife: command not found

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
$ sudo apt-get install chmod +x mkdir alpha omega ../amicoolforusing grep -a | terminal.txt to install thing$?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Imagine showing your grandma how to use linux.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

ars posted:

Did you know Apple produces very good UNIX laptops.

Yes, but Apple avoids the Linux problems by controlling the hardware that their os runs on. Windows runs on literally everything. Linux TRIES to run on everything, but fails miserably.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have a laptop that came with Windows 98 that I can run a modern Linux OS on with proper security and such.

Stick with Windows 98.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I found a cool bug with YouTube on Linux. When you click on your Google notifications, if one of those notifications has a YouTube video, and you play it, then you can't get the audio to stop unless you completely close Firefox.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

8 track betamax posted:

Thats a firefox bug you goof.

Don't worry, I sent the bug report to Mozilla. 12 months from now some guy is going to post a fix on IRC.

I'm sure it involves editing some sort of config file.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I get sad when I see laptops pre-loaded with Ubuntu at Walmart. You just know some poor grandma is going to buy that laptop expecting Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i'm gonna try it out

Next up: Linux from scratch. See you in hell motherfucker.

• Locked thread