Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Black seems to be a pretty deliberate choice in tone after Twisted Metal 3 and 4 went a bit more light-hearted and cartoony in aesthetic. I also wouldn't be surprised if that choice was deliberately spiteful because, although I only have interviews to go on, David Jaffe seems like the kind of person to do that

They pretty well hated 3 and 4(Especially 4) and wanted to make the series feel more fresh and vital. I played the gently caress out of this game, though since I sucked at it, I leaned real hard on the cheats.

Also, y'all are being awfully harsh on Raven's story. :( It's not the most extreme or brutal, but it's satisfying, and she's one of the few people to not flat-out become a psycho who murders for fun. She at least has standards. It's a nice contrast from some of the other stories.

And at least she doesn'tget a monkey's paw wish, like drat near half the contestants.

She's a nice contrast to a lot of these other stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
EDIT: Removed by request

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 17, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I always thought Twisted Metal 2 was the most cartoony game in the series. And also the best. Man I just loved how you'd be doing fine then that dune buggy would drop out of the sky on you, then the front loader picks you up and starts shaking you then that drat formula one car starts a tornado and flings all 4 of you over the edge of a building because nobody could control it once it was spinning.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Are you gonna post the instruction manual for this when it becomes relevant?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sel Nar posted:

Nah. You have to go through 8 levels, with a mid and final boss. The second cutscene for the character is after you beat the level 4 boss, and the last is after you beat the final boss.

Needless to say, It can be both fun, and a bit frustrating, going through a dozen or so characters with 8 levels each for their stories.

That makes sense - no point in going through the same levels over and over again when you can give viewers the gist of things in one round without things getting drawn out or boring.

rotinaj posted:

Also, y'all are being awfully harsh on Raven's story. :( It's not the most extreme or brutal, but it's satisfying, and she's one of the few people to not flat-out become a psycho who murders for fun. She at least has standards. It's a nice contrast from some of the other stories.

Shadow was always my go-to car in TM2 and his special weapon was extremely powerful if you knew how to use it, so I'd probably be rather good with Raven (once I shook all the rust off). I'm also glad to see there is some variety in the stories rather than everyone just being a cookie cutter psycho hell bent on killing everyone. A game like this really can't take itself too seriously, when the devs try too hard to go all grimdark and 'realistic' it just makes things even more ridiculous.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Blackened asylum is starting to make Gotham's Arkam asylum look sane.

Car arena murderfest games are one of those genres that just kinda faded away in the later generations of games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I've got this game and always appreciated the aesthetic but never got anywhere in it because there's a hellatious learning curve and the game does nothing to teach you how to play. Plus, y'know, 7-8 v. 1 is kind of ridiculously unfair, compensated for only by AI being unable to operate at the level of a (skilled) human player. Excited to see more.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Klaus88 posted:

Car arena murderfest games are one of those genres that just kinda faded away in the later generations of games.

Now you're making me want to see how much effort it would take to get Carmageddeon to run on my Win10 machine. Probably have to start with DosBox.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vicissitude posted:

Some spoilers[/spoiler]

Really? It does?

EDIT: to remove spoilers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Really? It does?

EDIT: I don't see a post here.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 17, 2016

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Gotta request this be removed as per the spoiler policy, it's a very long time before I plan to touch on this and I'd prefer it not be discussed until then.

rotinaj posted:

And at least she doesn'tget a monkey's paw wish, like drat near half the contestants.

I've actually come around on it since I originally unlocked it, I just remember being disappointed then and every time I've rewatched the endings with other people (which is quite a few times, actually) they've disliked it as well. I really like that she's murderous, but not psychotic, and there's a warm place in my heart for familicidal characters. The tone of the ending is even kinda happy, which is rare indeed in this game.

EDIT:

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Are you gonna post the instruction manual for this when it becomes relevant?

Oh, yes, it's an essential part of the Twisted Metal: Black experience. It'll come up in a few episodes and I'll post it with that update.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 17, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just found this today, getting caught up. I don't think this is spoilers as it's probably just coincidence but watching the first video I never noticed that Sweet Tooth and Calypso are both missing the same eye. Again, it's been years since I played, so I think this is just a design choice, but if I'm wrong, I'll remove it.

Also, very happy to be treated to another Fiendly LP

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Didn't notice that till just now either.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

That may just be coincidence. I don't know of any lore that might play it out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

to be honest I really prefer the gameplay of the TM4/3 over Black.
Also TM4 has DRAGULA
aka best twisted metal song ever.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also TM4 has DRAGULA

If you told me Rob Zombie wrote that song for a Twisted Metal game, I would believe you.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also TM4 has DRAGULA

On the other hand, TM3 gave us this piece of musical magnificence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBhWhh0T3c

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On the other hand, TM3 gave us this piece of musical magnificence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBhWhh0T3c

Holy poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

berryjon posted:

Now you're making me want to see how much effort it would take to get Carmageddeon to run on my Win10 machine. Probably have to start with DosBox.
If all else fails, you can look into the GOG.com and Steam versions, which should Just Work(tm).

Carmageddon: Reincarnation (the modern remake of Carma 1 and 2 by the original developers) is also out, and after a year of patches and fixes following a disastrous launch it's actually pretty drat good now and doesn't require a space robot computer from the year 2084 to run at acceptable framerates.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I tried checking today and the only PC release seems to be TM2, which is going for way too much on Amazon. Anyone have a lead on where I can buy a reasonably priced copy for PC?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Roadkill at Downtown

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CzarChasm posted:

I tried checking today and the only PC release seems to be TM2, which is going for way too much on Amazon. Anyone have a lead on where I can buy a reasonably priced copy for PC?

You can buy an original PS1 and Twisted Metal off eBay for about ~$50-$75.

I think the nostalgia would wear off really loving fast though; pretty sure my hardware and games are still laying around in my parents basement somewhere but early 3D games didn't age well for the most part and I can't imagine trying to play any of this stuff on a modern LED TV being particularly pleasant for your eyes.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Oh Twisted Metal Black, you and SOCOM were the only games I could ever get to work briefly on the PS2 online capability.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You can buy an original PS1 and Twisted Metal off eBay for about ~$50-$75.

I think the nostalgia would wear off really loving fast though; pretty sure my hardware and games are still laying around in my parents basement somewhere but early 3D games didn't age well for the most part and I can't imagine trying to play any of this stuff on a modern LED TV being particularly pleasant for your eyes.

Just watch the live action cut scenes for the original Twisted Metal for your viewing pleasure.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
He's #2?!?! Then who is #1?!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I don't suppose you'd be able to show off the little stage loading blurbs for everyone, would you Fiendly? Some of them have been pretty interesting so far, especially John's.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

berryjon posted:

He's #2?!?! Then who is #1?!

Needles Kane, naturally.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always liked how (most) of the endings for the good characters never turn out well. I think my favourite is Outlaw in 1 and then Outlaw in 2, even though that ends somewhat well in 2, just for the ridiculousness of it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Derek Barona posted:

I don't suppose you'd be able to show off the little stage loading blurbs for everyone, would you Fiendly? Some of them have been pretty interesting so far, especially John's.

I've been trying to think of a good way to archive all the loading screen blurbs for the thread that wouldn't drive me insane like the effort of recording every single one of them myself would. Until I get that sorted out, though, I could very easily post transcripts of each one we would have seen if we'd taken each character so far through the first half of the game (later screens include spoilers). They are as follows:

Sweet Tooth loading screens:
  1. All I have to do to win is kill everyone I see? Well, boys and girls, that's the one thing I'm good at...
  2. The son-of-a-bitch who put the curse on me has entered the contest. I'm gonna kill him.....nice and slow.
  3. It isn't right. A man's head isn't meant to be set on fire. Not unless I'm the one holding the blowtorch...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. drat preacher. Pious bastard. Think he never did wrong? You dig up his past, you'Il be sickened by the truth...

Billy Ray loading screens:
  1. If I win this game, I get my revenge. Heck, maybe I'll even get lucky and get my old face back too...
  2. Maybe this is where that pilot lives. Way I see it, when I win, there ain't no place he can hide.
  3. What is it about killing people? Each time I do it, it gets easier. And each time I do it, I like it more & more.
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. My poor, sweet Annie! I don't blame her no more. It was that drat pilot done steered her wrong!

Raven loading screens:
  1. Kelly was my best friend. She was my soul mate. I will win this game and fulfill her dying wish.
  2. When I started the game, I thought I'd have a problem killing people. But you know, it actually feels pretty good...
  3. I hope I run across my parents out here. It sure would feel good to run those fu^#□rs over...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. They killed Kelly. But they won't get away with it. When I win, I'll find them both...and I'll kill them.

John Doe loading screens:
  1. I've been lost for so long. Calypso says he knows who I am...but if I win, will I have the guts to face the truth?
  2. One battle down. That wasn't so bad. For some reason, this killing; it comes so easy to me. I wish I knew why...
  3. My God. I'm starting to remember my past. I see others like me. And a bomb. I see the end of the world. Jesus, who am I?
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. So I'm a terrorist. But something inside says there's so much more to the story...

EDIT: Quotes are now numbered for clarity.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 21, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
See what I mean? A few Raven type stories with a slightly underwhelming, but positive ending are good, when you've got monkey's paw wish endings like this one in the game as well. Gotta run the spread of possible endings so you don't just have a game of unrelenting evil or of people getting hosed over.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You know, I'd like to see an ending to a TM game that ends like Dethklok meeting the Blues Devil. Some guy showing up with a meticulously worded contract that he unfurls down the side of a building and the scene cuts to them hours later going over the minutiae with Calypso realizing more and more that he's got no wiggle room and has to give the guy what he wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwgLt0QadU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is the car Calypso is sitting on in the endings any car in particular, or just a beat up car? The designs on it make it look like it could be another car from the series, but I really don't know it all well enough to be sure.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

I like that Calypso is number 2. Makes you wonder is it sweet tooth as number 1 or someone worse?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

I've been trying to think of a good way to archive all the loading screen blurbs for the thread that wouldn't drive me insane like the effort of recording every single one of them myself would. Until I get that sorted out, though, I could very easily post transcripts of each one we would have seen if we'd taken each character so far through the first half of the game (later screens include spoilers). They are as follows:

Sweet Tooth loading screens:
  • All I have to do to win is kill everyone I see? Well, boys and girls, that's the one thing I'm good at...
  • The son-of-a-bitch who put the curse on me has entered the contest. I'm gonna kill him.....nice and slow.
  • It isn't right. A man's head isn't meant to be set on fire. Not unless I'm the one holding the blowtorch...
  • drat preacher. Pious bastard. Think he never did wrong? You dig up his past, you'Il be sickened by the truth...

Billy Ray loading screens:
  • If I win this game, I get my revenge. Heck, maybe I'll even get lucky and get my old face back too...
  • Maybe this is where that pilot lives. Way I see it, when I win, there ain't no place he can hide.
  • What is it about killing people? Each time I do it, it gets easier. And each time I do it, I like it more & more.
  • My poor, sweet Annie! I don't blame her no more. It was that drat pilot done steered her wrong!

Raven loading screens:
  • Kelly was my best friend. She was my soul mate. I will win this game and fulfill her dying wish.
  • When I started the game, I thought I'd have a problem killing people. But you know, it actually feels pretty good...
  • I hope I run across my parents out here. It sure would feel good to run those fu^#□rs over...
  • They killed Kelly. But they won't get away with it. When I win, I'll find them both...and I'll kill them.

John Doe loading screens:
  • I've been lost for so long. Calypso says he knows who I am...but if I win, will I have the guts to face the truth?
  • One battle down. That wasn't so bad. For some reason, this killing; it comes so easy to me. I wish I knew why...
  • My God. I'm starting to remember my past. I see others like me. And a bomb. I see the end of the world. Jesus, who am I?
  • So I'm a terrorist. But something inside says there's so much more to the story...

Neat. Are these Stages 1-4, or does going to the two alternate Stage 2s give you different lines?

Zain posted:

I like that Calypso is number 2. Makes you wonder is it sweet tooth as number 1 or someone worse?

Just by virtue of being Twisted Metal, I'd assume it's either SweetTooth or Minion. They all sorta weigh in as the top three in this series.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Zain posted:

I'd bet anything they were slyly hinting that Sweet Tooth is the #1 most wanted, but it doesn't make a ton of sense because he's been captured, executed, then institutionalized at Blackfield for at least three months, which is plenty of time for the FBI to either bump up Calypso or deem someone else more dangerous. I like the idea that it'd be Minion, though, never considered that myself.

Derek Barona posted:

Neat. Are these Stages 1-4, or does going to the two alternate Stage 2s give you different lines?

These quotes are actually from stages 1-3 and then 5, which is the first level after their middle cutscene in which they react to whatever bombshell was just dropped in their flashback. When there's a choice of levels, both choices give the same quote in the loading screen, so there's 8 different quotes per character. I'll continue posting them with each update from here on out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I hope we get the redacted quotes when you're done.

Really enjoying this LP!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: doublepost, sorry.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
This song by skillet Circus for a Psycho seems to fit the theme of this game better than I thought it would.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Brimstone at The Highway Loop

Preacher loading screens:
  1. Can Calypso really kill the demon in me? Can he destroy the voice? If I win his game, will I be free?
  2. Innocents will surely be sacrificed today. Many of my flock live here yet they surely understand why a man must free his soul.
  3. The battles; the blood; the death. This contest is brutal. And somewhere inside I think...my God...I think I like it...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. Now do you see? It was the demon. He killed those lost souls & tarnished my good name. I hope the Lord will take me back...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I hope we get the redacted quotes when you're done.

They'll all be posted with the next update.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Preacher got what was coming to him for killing all those bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it just me, or does Calypso almost seem sorry for Preacher? He's almost gleeful in all the other endings, but in this one, he almost looks regretful.

• Locked thread