Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I remember playing a couple of these back as a kid, but I could never find Black. Looking forward to seeing what sort of horror this game can invoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Christ, you really weren't kidding about the AI being brutal in this one.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I don't suppose you'd be able to show off the little stage loading blurbs for everyone, would you Fiendly? Some of them have been pretty interesting so far, especially John's.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

I've been trying to think of a good way to archive all the loading screen blurbs for the thread that wouldn't drive me insane like the effort of recording every single one of them myself would. Until I get that sorted out, though, I could very easily post transcripts of each one we would have seen if we'd taken each character so far through the first half of the game (later screens include spoilers). They are as follows:

Sweet Tooth loading screens:
  • All I have to do to win is kill everyone I see? Well, boys and girls, that's the one thing I'm good at...
  • The son-of-a-bitch who put the curse on me has entered the contest. I'm gonna kill him.....nice and slow.
  • It isn't right. A man's head isn't meant to be set on fire. Not unless I'm the one holding the blowtorch...
  • drat preacher. Pious bastard. Think he never did wrong? You dig up his past, you'Il be sickened by the truth...

Billy Ray loading screens:
  • If I win this game, I get my revenge. Heck, maybe I'll even get lucky and get my old face back too...
  • Maybe this is where that pilot lives. Way I see it, when I win, there ain't no place he can hide.
  • What is it about killing people? Each time I do it, it gets easier. And each time I do it, I like it more & more.
  • My poor, sweet Annie! I don't blame her no more. It was that drat pilot done steered her wrong!

Raven loading screens:
  • Kelly was my best friend. She was my soul mate. I will win this game and fulfill her dying wish.
  • When I started the game, I thought I'd have a problem killing people. But you know, it actually feels pretty good...
  • I hope I run across my parents out here. It sure would feel good to run those fu^#□rs over...
  • They killed Kelly. But they won't get away with it. When I win, I'll find them both...and I'll kill them.

John Doe loading screens:
  • I've been lost for so long. Calypso says he knows who I am...but if I win, will I have the guts to face the truth?
  • One battle down. That wasn't so bad. For some reason, this killing; it comes so easy to me. I wish I knew why...
  • My God. I'm starting to remember my past. I see others like me. And a bomb. I see the end of the world. Jesus, who am I?
  • So I'm a terrorist. But something inside says there's so much more to the story...

Neat. Are these Stages 1-4, or does going to the two alternate Stage 2s give you different lines?

Zain posted:

I like that Calypso is number 2. Makes you wonder is it sweet tooth as number 1 or someone worse?

Just by virtue of being Twisted Metal, I'd assume it's either SweetTooth or Minion. They all sorta weigh in as the top three in this series.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Preacher seems a little bit disjointed between story and gameplay, to me. On the one hand, he's been locked up in the asylum for a couple years, but the whole cursing Sweet Tooth thing never comes up, and his special is to throw a devotee to jihad someone, but if he's been locked up for brutally emptying out his church, where is he getting loyal cultists from? I know, you could argue video game logic, but the ice cream truck turned into a drat mech and it still made more sense in my mind than this has.

Also, was that supposed to be Billy Ray? I was just gonna give it a pass as generic character reuse until Fiendly said something about it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Man, now that someone's brought it up, I think my only regret with this reboot is Calypso. Don't get me wrong, the sleazy game show host from hell gimmick doesn't work here, I'm not saying it would, but Calypso was easily the best thing about the second game, and the guy who voiced him had it loving nailed down.

"I am Calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal!" was always such a treat to hear.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, Minion. That flamethrower has haunted players since the very first game. Always so glorious.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As mentioned, Outlaw pretty much always gets hosed at the end, this of course being no exception. I'm gonna write this one off not so much as Calypso sending Stone back into the past as more of an illusion that he decided to step in at the end of and take his fee.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, the old mass times acceleration attack. I was wondering if anyone in this game would have one of those.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like half of these are the origin stories for Batman villains.

Funny enough, wasn't Death Battle doing Joker vs Sweet Tooth?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

Welp, there's probably not gonna be any better time to post this video: Twisted Metal honest game trailer

This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
For what it's worth, I agree that it would've gotten boring fast if you'd played the whole game through each time, but the one person per level thing kept it a lot more interesting than you probably give it credit for. It also helps that you're a great LPer, so the gameplay never felt boring to watch. I enjoyed it, so thank you.

• Locked thread