Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If nothing else (and there's a bunch of else mind you, Black is great) you gotta respect a game that chooses Paint it Black as its theme and makes it work outside of just being there for recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Twisted Metal was one of the first PS1 games I owned back when I was a teen and I loved it to death - this series, along with Jet Moto (ironically by 989 Studios), Vigilante 8 and Wipe Out were a blast to play but Black seems to be missing some of the... charm, I guess you could say? It just doesn't seem the same though that could be 15+ years of rose coloured glasses talking as it's been a very, very long time since I played any of them. Never did play any of the later ones in the series that came out for the PS2 onward as I never owned one but it's a shame to hear they turned into shovelwear.

Are all the character stories just the 1 level? I seem to remember in the earlier games each player had their own campaign to go through but this seems rather short. Still, fun to watch and brings back some memories.

Black seems to be a pretty deliberate choice in tone after Twisted Metal 3 and 4 went a bit more light-hearted and cartoony in aesthetic. I also wouldn't be surprised if that choice was deliberately spiteful because, although I only have interviews to go on, David Jaffe seems like the kind of person to do that.

I never played Head-On but while I wouldn't describe the PS3 Twisted Metal as shovelware it was a multiplayer focused game (with some single player) which, while certainly a part of past Twisted Metals, wasn't really what people liked from it before advent of console multiplayer. It's not bad but there was just wasn't enough to grab onto beyond that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always liked how (most) of the endings for the good characters never turn out well. I think my favourite is Outlaw in 1 and then Outlaw in 2, even though that ends somewhat well in 2, just for the ridiculousness of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I want to say that Outlaw's special is one of the more powerful in the game, but only if you manage to combine the minigun with the missiles at close range. Taken individually they're not amazing but if you manage to freeze someone or ram them to a near standstill you can do a ton of damage.

Edit: And I just noticed that there's a scar over the "terrorist's" eye, same as Calypso. Oh, you card Calypso.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 19, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really enjoyed the ridiculous wackiness of the character resolutions in TM4 - they strike just the right amount of funny-dumb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember playing Twisted Metal 4, and it is likely a game I could appreciate and enjoy a lot more now but not when I was a 14 year old edgelord who needed to have everything BE REAL.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fiendly posted:

Always glad to hear it, feedback having been pretty scarce for this LP. Anyway, penultimate episode.

Update:

Yellow Jacket at The Carnival of Darkness

Charlie Kane and Son loading screens:
  1. I know things can't be like they were. But at least- when we win- people won't try to split us apart...
  2. My dad doesn't say much anymore. But I know he still loves me. I just wish- sometimes- he could tell me himself.
  3. I was always real smart. But I hated it. The other kids made fun of me. But being smart let me save my dad.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta get past his force field and I can win.
  5. My older brother is in this contest too. He scares me. But I think I feel some kind of... connection between us...
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win me and my dad will never be torn apart.
  8. Dad said I should always respect the police. But they want to take father away... I can't let that happen...

Unfortunately I think that's a symptom of Twisted Metal itself, where if you're playing it a lot can change between the characters but watching can be a bit same-y since there's only really the cutscenes and the individual special attacks that change.

I don't think Twisted Metal not following its own stories isn't too much of an issue though. I'm not sure we would have gotten Black if it did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was nice to re-experience Black. Perhaps the other thing it surprisingly managed to do well was take "Paint it Black" and actually make it work as a theme song and not just as a marketing tool.

• Locked thread