Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Latest Update: FINALE: 12-Pak at The Death Port

Twisted Metal: Black revives a beloved series by taking it in a horrific new direction. The first two Twisted Metal games, developed by SingleTrac, were massively successful and popularized the vehicular combat genre, just in time for 989 Studios to take over and crank out two sub-par installments that were crushed by other upstart series in the genre. After four years of the series being dragged through the mud, Incognito Entertainment, a new studio founded by former members of SingleTrac, decided it was time to restore the good name of their classic franchise, but they weren't satisfied with simply returning to the formula everyone had loved back in the day.

By removing all the colors and the sardonic sense of humor as essential elements of the design, Twisted Metal's love of pointless destruction and tales of wishes gone awry suddenly went from delightfully whimsical to crushingly bleak. In Black, the most colorful thing we're likely to see is spilled blood, and our goal in every video will be to provide a vile human being with their greatest desire. This is a grim and disturbing journey that is nonetheless a fan favorite of the series, like a car crash you can't look away from.

:siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:
Please do not post any of the details of the characters' stories until after we've seen them in the videos, not even in spoiler tags. Same goes for story and character elements from ensuing games in the series, although spoilers from any of the Playstation 1 Twisted Metal games may be discussed in spoiler tags.

Stories

Sweet Tooth at The Junkyard

Junkyard Dog at The Suburbs

Shadow at The Freeway

Roadkill at Downtown

Brimstone at The Highway Loop

Crazy 8 at Minion's Stadium

Outlaw at The Prison Passage

Darkside at The Snowy Roads

Spectre at The Drive-In Movie

Mr. Grimm at The Skyscrapers

Axel at Warhawk's Rooftop

Warthog at Suburban Terror

Manslaughter at The Stadium Slaughter

Yellow Jacket at The Carnival of Darkness

12-Pak at The Death Port

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

How are you going to handle the unlockable characters? it'd be a shame not getting to see them in action too.

No need to worry about that, it so happens that the way I plan to do this LP provides exactly as many unique levels as there are playable characters, so everyone will have their moment in the sun.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Junkyard Dog at The Suburbs

KillingPablo posted:

I was a Nintendo kid, so the closest thing I had to this was Vigilante 8 (which was still a pretty awesome game).

Same here, Black was my first Twisted Metal and to date I've still only played the PS2 games in the series. Vigilante 8 was a killer game, too, I rented it to death and just used the code to unlock the UFO because flying that thing around was mindblowing at the time.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Did anybody ever do an LP on the newest of the Twisted Metal game? I've always been a bit interested in seeing just how far the rabbit hole goes, but really can't be bothered to play it myself. For once, the things the angry fans are saying lines up entirely with the few small things I've seen of the game itself.

According to the master list, no one on the forums has ever attempted a Twisted Metal LP before. I'm interested in doing the remake myself if all goes well, but it's definitely a long term plan.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Shadow at The Freeway

Content warning for self injury, if that sort of imagery would be an unpleasant shock to you, skip the first minute or so of this video.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

matureaudiencesonly posted:

I didn't notice you doing this in the videos yet, but I think I remember a neat little health boost that you can get during a round. Once you kill a NPC there's a little dude on fire that runs away from the burning car; if you run that guy over, it gives you a slight bit of health (I'm pretty sure, but it's been a decade since I last played this).

I'm definitely going to have to talk about this on the next video, but I checked one of the times this happened accidentally in the LP already and you're correct. I either forgot about this or never knew, but either way, thanks a ton, this will make a world of difference on the later, harder levels.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Sel Nar posted:

Needless to say, It can be both fun, and a bit frustrating, going through a dozen or so characters with 8 levels each for their stories.

It's a bummer when the story turns out to be a dud like Raven's, but that's only an issue a few times.

Mr.Flibble posted:

Are you going to cover Twisted Metal "Lost" in this LP?

Yep.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Gotta request this be removed as per the spoiler policy, it's a very long time before I plan to touch on this and I'd prefer it not be discussed until then.

rotinaj posted:

Also, y'all are being awfully harsh on Raven's story. :( It's not the most extreme or brutal, but it's satisfying, and she's one of the few people to not flat-out become a psycho who murders for fun. She at least has standards. It's a nice contrast from some of the other stories.

And at least she doesn'tget a monkey's paw wish, like drat near half the contestants.

She's a nice contrast to a lot of these other stories.

I've actually come around on it since I originally unlocked it, I just remember being disappointed then and every time I've rewatched the endings with other people (which is quite a few times, actually) they've disliked it as well. I really like that she's murderous, but not psychotic, and there's a warm place in my heart for familicidal characters. The tone of the ending is even kinda happy, which is rare indeed in this game.

EDIT:

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Are you gonna post the instruction manual for this when it becomes relevant?

Oh, yes, it's an essential part of the Twisted Metal: Black experience. It'll come up in a few episodes and I'll post it with that update.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 17, 2016

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Roadkill at Downtown

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Derek Barona posted:

I don't suppose you'd be able to show off the little stage loading blurbs for everyone, would you Fiendly? Some of them have been pretty interesting so far, especially John's.

I've been trying to think of a good way to archive all the loading screen blurbs for the thread that wouldn't drive me insane like the effort of recording every single one of them myself would. Until I get that sorted out, though, I could very easily post transcripts of each one we would have seen if we'd taken each character so far through the first half of the game (later screens include spoilers). They are as follows:

Sweet Tooth loading screens:
  1. All I have to do to win is kill everyone I see? Well, boys and girls, that's the one thing I'm good at...
  2. The son-of-a-bitch who put the curse on me has entered the contest. I'm gonna kill him.....nice and slow.
  3. It isn't right. A man's head isn't meant to be set on fire. Not unless I'm the one holding the blowtorch...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. drat preacher. Pious bastard. Think he never did wrong? You dig up his past, you'Il be sickened by the truth...

Billy Ray loading screens:
  1. If I win this game, I get my revenge. Heck, maybe I'll even get lucky and get my old face back too...
  2. Maybe this is where that pilot lives. Way I see it, when I win, there ain't no place he can hide.
  3. What is it about killing people? Each time I do it, it gets easier. And each time I do it, I like it more & more.
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. My poor, sweet Annie! I don't blame her no more. It was that drat pilot done steered her wrong!

Raven loading screens:
  1. Kelly was my best friend. She was my soul mate. I will win this game and fulfill her dying wish.
  2. When I started the game, I thought I'd have a problem killing people. But you know, it actually feels pretty good...
  3. I hope I run across my parents out here. It sure would feel good to run those fu^#□rs over...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. They killed Kelly. But they won't get away with it. When I win, I'll find them both...and I'll kill them.

John Doe loading screens:
  1. I've been lost for so long. Calypso says he knows who I am...but if I win, will I have the guts to face the truth?
  2. One battle down. That wasn't so bad. For some reason, this killing; it comes so easy to me. I wish I knew why...
  3. My God. I'm starting to remember my past. I see others like me. And a bomb. I see the end of the world. Jesus, who am I?
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. So I'm a terrorist. But something inside says there's so much more to the story...

EDIT: Quotes are now numbered for clarity.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 21, 2016

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Zain posted:

I like that Calypso is number 2. Makes you wonder is it sweet tooth as number 1 or someone worse?

I'd bet anything they were slyly hinting that Sweet Tooth is the #1 most wanted, but it doesn't make a ton of sense because he's been captured, executed, then institutionalized at Blackfield for at least three months, which is plenty of time for the FBI to either bump up Calypso or deem someone else more dangerous. I like the idea that it'd be Minion, though, never considered that myself.

Derek Barona posted:

Neat. Are these Stages 1-4, or does going to the two alternate Stage 2s give you different lines?

These quotes are actually from stages 1-3 and then 5, which is the first level after their middle cutscene in which they react to whatever bombshell was just dropped in their flashback. When there's a choice of levels, both choices give the same quote in the loading screen, so there's 8 different quotes per character. I'll continue posting them with each update from here on out.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Brimstone at The Highway Loop

Preacher loading screens:
  1. Can Calypso really kill the demon in me? Can he destroy the voice? If I win his game, will I be free?
  2. Innocents will surely be sacrificed today. Many of my flock live here yet they surely understand why a man must free his soul.
  3. The battles; the blood; the death. This contest is brutal. And somewhere inside I think...my God...I think I like it...
  4. [REDACTED]
  5. Now do you see? It was the demon. He killed those lost souls & tarnished my good name. I hope the Lord will take me back...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I hope we get the redacted quotes when you're done.

They'll all be posted with the next update.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it just me, or does Calypso almost seem sorry for Preacher? He's almost gleeful in all the other endings, but in this one, he almost looks regretful.

Jeb certainly paints him that way in his narration, describing him as "hesitant" to break the news, but it's open to interpretation. Maybe he's just disappointed that granting this wish won't necessarily result in any death, although safe money would be on Preacher practicing what he preaches and killing himself like all his followers do.

Derek Barona posted:

Also, was that supposed to be Billy Ray? I was just gonna give it a pass as generic character reuse until Fiendly said something about it.

Well, it's definitely Billy's model, and there's a brief moment in the middle cutscene where you can tell that he and Annie are the parents of the "possessed" child, so it's no accident. Could be just a little reference for keen-eyed players, or maybe they're saying Billy and his wife survived the massacre and the trauma of the ordeal led her to seek comfort in the arms of another man, who decided to take Billy out of the picture himself, but the goddamn guy's nearly unkillable and he survived that too. That's all pretty ridiculous, but hey, it's a matter of interpretation.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hey, before we move on to the next story, I'd like to point out that YouTube commenter Some Random Gamer has been sharing fun facts for some of the stories we've already seen. Here's what they've left me thus far:

Some Random Gamer posted:

Fun fact: Raven's original name was Sad Sally.
This is one I'd never heard before myself!

Fun fact after checking out the beta cut scenes: The tattoo on John's shoulder was going to have the phrase "One race, One Country" accompanying the swastika/RHCP logo hybrid. The editors forgot to take it out in the later cut scenes as you can see part of it if you look close in the middle cut scene and see the whole thing clear as day at 11:58.
I was able to make out the offending tattoo myself in the cutscene they referred to here. Pretty much confirms their intent to make John Doe a member of a Neo-Nazi skinhead group.

Fun fact: They were gonna show Jeb drowning the baby, but took it out of the final release. You can see it in his beta ending.
I've seen a clip of David Jaffe excitedly describing a scene from Preacher's ending that they weren't allowed to put in the game, but I didn't realize this is what it was. I've tracked down the beta cutscenes, but there's a few very important things to note before watching this deleted scene:

1. The beta features temp dialogue, not the voice actors who appear in the finished game.
2. All the game's cutscenes are in this video, and it therefore contains spoilers if you watch anything beyond the part I'm linking here. I'll be scanning through it for more interesting variations on the final cutscenes and posting them in the thread when they become relevant, so don't feel the need to watch or comment on the rest of this video just yet (beta versions of cutscenes we're already seen in the LP are fine to discuss).
3. What else... Oh yeah, CONTENT WARNING for loving baby drowning.
Click here only if you have read and are comfortable with the above.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Crazy 8 at Minion's Stadium

No-Face loading screens:
  1. If I win, I can ask for any prize? I'll take revenge. Try having your face ripped apart; see what you ask for...
  2. You grow up on the east side, ain't much affects you no more. That's why it don't bother me, killin' these other drivers.
  3. The docs in the asylum always asked what I could see. I told'em I saw what I seen my whole life: darkness.
  4. This guy won last year's contest. But I ain't afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. I can still hear dat' freakin' opera music. Maybe it's the song I'll play when I cut that bastard apart...

Pre-Minion loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: This joker won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. I just need to get past his stupid shield and he's finished.
  2. Billy Ray: So, this guy won the contest last year? Don't matter none to me-Billy Ray ain't scared'a nothing.
  3. Raven: Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  4. John Doe: Minion won this contest last year. But...from the looks of my tattoos, I've dealt with my share of badasses.
  5. Preacher: So...this is Minion. This unholy killer used his infernal shield to win last year's contest, but I will destroy him.

I mention the game's manual in this video, so if anyone wants to check that out for themselves, it's available right here.

Also, there's a little cutscene that plays when you first unlock Minion as a playable character, but I can't record it myself because it only ever plays once per save file, so you can find it in this YouTube video.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Outlaw at The Prison Passage

Agent Stone lading screens:
  1. I'm fooling myself if I think Calypso can undo the wrong that I have done. My crime was so heinous I cannot be forgiven.
  2. It's hard to give up the past. It stays with you like a fever. It's the very thing that caused the accident.
  3. I used to arrest people for playing Calypso's game. Look what I've become. I'm willing to murder others just to win.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can find a way past his force field I can beat him.
  5. It's my fault that family is dead. I should have stayed focused. Dear God- Why didn't you let me die?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Darkside at The Snowy Roads

Dollface loading screens:
  1. My boss used to buy spare parts from this junkyard. It's where he found the pieces of my mask.
  2. They say this contest kills innocent people. I don't care anymore. After what happened to me, no one is innocent.
  3. 7 years in this mask. Has my face changed? The mask never gives. It crushes my face. Am I deformed by now?
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta find a way past his force field and I win.
  5. You know, when I think about it, I wonder if my boss wanted me to die? Is it bad to think such things?
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.

Snowy Road loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: A small, tight space. Lots of people with no place to hide. For a butcher like me, it doesn't get better than this.
  2. Billy Ray: This area's tight as death-but I'll get thru it gotta bring flyboy back down t'Earth.
  3. Raven: This battleground is real tight and full of danger. I gotta keep moving if Kelly is ever going to have her revenge.
  4. John Doe: This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  5. Preacher: This place is as small as the hearts of men, and just as dangerous. Father, why do you afford me no sanctuary?
  6. No-Face: This place is tight- it's like bein' up on the ropes, close to the other fighter. You gotta bob an' weave; jab an' run.
  7. Agent Stone: This place is tight-like an indoor firing range, except the targets are bigger. I must keep moving if I want to survive this.

Choco1980 posted:

(Sidebar, all this talk of the previous games in the series makes me want to see them all at the hands of someone who's much better than I am at them)

I started this thread with the intention of following it up with three more threads that would ultimately cover every Twisted Metal game, showing every ending as I have with Black. I'd still like to do those threads, but there's a shitload of factors working against my being able to continue with the series so I can't commit to anything.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

PSWII60 posted:

From back when I played this I thought the max damage came from hitting the side of the opponent's car, like T-boning them.

That's what I always think when I'm playing as Darkside because it makes the most sense, but Vic's right, you get a damage boost for hitting enemies with the broad side of the truck with the special, which the game confusingly calls "T-sliding." I honestly don't even know how to do this on command, much less how to aim the attack in this manner, but you can also get a damage boost by pinning an enemy to a wall with the special, and it can hit multiple times if they bounce off your bumper and stay in front of you, so it's still plenty useful even without T-sliding.

Sel Nar posted:

And that's why Darkside is arguably the sneakiest sonofabitch when you're first playing the game, because you never expect something that big to go that fast.

Not only is the attack surprisingly fast, often too fast to do anything about it once you're in her sights, but it can even be rear-fired, which the AI uses to great effect when you've got Darkside on the run and you're moving in to make the killing blow. Definitely an unexpected way for the hunted to become the hunter until you learn to never stand directly in front of or behind Darkside.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Spectre at The Drive-In Movie

Bloody Mary loading screens:
  1. Finally! A man who loves me? And all I have to do is win this contest? For true love, I can do anything!
  2. My daddy used to say I was the prettiest girl in the world. Even after he killed my mom, he still said I was beautiful.
  3. Daddy said ugly girls are tramps and losers. I promised my dad I would stay pretty forever.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. Kristen's parents are sad she's dead. But I know when I find my true love, they'll be so happy for me.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I have to keep moving if I want to survive this.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Mr. Grimm at The Skyscrapers

Mr. Grimm loading screens:
  1. When I win this contest, I'll have my revenge. What he did to me, to my friend... It ripped my mind apart...
  2. My killing instinct; it's coming back to me now... just like in the war. I'd forgotten how good I am at this...
  3. I have to stay focused on the fight. But every dead body I see brings back the cravings... have I gone insane?
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. God, Benny... I'm so sorry. I shoulda never done what I did. I wish I had died too..
  6. This arena is like the jungle, close quarters. You move in and out quick before the enemy knows what hit 'em.
  7. Will the man who destroyed my mind even recognize me after all this time? I hope he does. I hope he's terrified.

Skyscrapers loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: Up here I can look down on the city that fears me. I can smell their fear, and to be quite honest... I love it.
  2. Billy Ray: Jeezus! So many rooftops to fall off! With my truck, I can probably push half these cars to their deaths.
  3. Raven: 100 stories up. I should just drive my car off the edge. Then I'd never have to worry about anything anymore...
  4. John Doe: This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win, I'll get the whole story. I'll find out who I really am.
  5. Preacher: 100 stories up. Maybe I should just jump and end it all. No! That is the demon talking. Dear God, make it go away!
  6. No-Face: Face is starting to hurt. No medication. Since I left the asylum, I can't give into the pain; can't fall off the edge...
  7. Agent Stone: The last fight in the contest. If I win, I'll get my second chance. I just hope it's enough to save that family.
  8. Dollface: It's so pretty up here. It's been so long since I've seen anything pretty. I wish I didn't have to keep fighting...
  9. Bloody Mary: From here, I can hear the sound of wedding bells. They're a lot like police sirens...I never noticed that before.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Wamdoodle posted:

Also I remember earlier when you mentioned how alot of the characters were holding guns in the selection screen. In the reboot, some of the weapon selects were gang members hanging out of the car windows firing. The sniper rifle being one of them. I wonder if that mechanic had been thought up as early as TM: Black but dropped for whatever reason?

That's really interesting, since I know a big part of the reboot's design came from an idea they tried to implement in a sequel to Black but it proved to be too much for the hardware of the day. It's starting to seem like TM 2012 might just be a patchwork of scraps from the Black cutting room floor.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Welp, there's probably not gonna be any better time to post this video: Twisted Metal honest game trailer

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, next video is mostly recorded and should be posted relatively soon compared to how long it's been since the last one.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Axel at Warhawk's Rooftop

Axel loading screens:
  1. Someone killed my wife. She was my life. Calypso says if I win, he'll reveal the killer to me. What husband would refuse?
  2. We were at the park. I looked down at my paper...when I looked back up, she was gone. My wife...gone.
  3. 3 months later, her body was shipped to us...in pieces. It took 8 months to get it all back...my dear wife...
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can find a way past his force field, I know I can beat him.
  5. I made this vehicle with my own hands. It's my penance, my punishment for letting my wife die. I will not fail her.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I must keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. This is the last battleground in the contest. If I win I'll discover the truth. I'll face my wife's killer...
  8. The law won't stand in my way. Where was the law when my wife went missing? To me, they're as guilty as the killer.

Warhawk loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: I recognize this freak. Used his little helicopter to capture me 3 months ago. Well boys 'n girls, it's payback time.
  2. Billy Ray: I respect the law. But I can't let the cops get in the way of me gettin' my revenge!
  3. Raven: I'm so close! I can't let this pig stand in my way! This is the last battle. If I win, Kelly will be avenged...
  4. John Doe: I don't know why... I feel like I shouldn't fight this guy. But I want my life back.
  5. Preacher: So this is to be my Armageddon? The law demands that I surrender... but I only answer to a higher power.
  6. No-Face: Never cared for the fuzz. Always givin' me a hard time, just 'cause I wuz a bum. Man, I'm gonna enjoy gutting this pig...
  7. Agent Stone: I know this man. He's a fellow officer; a good cop. But I may have to kill him if I want to change my past...
  8. Dollface: I'm sorry officer, I don't want to kill you. I like the police. But I'm so tired of being locked up...
  9. Bloody Mary: One more opponent and I'll be in the arms of my soul mate. This pig can't stand in the way of true love.
  10. Mr. Grimm: I'm too close. I won't give up. Once I kill this bastard, nothing will stand in my way...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What music was that you used during the translations? That was excellent.

Ribbons by Black Light Burns (a.k.a. Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit)

EDIT:

Skippy Granola posted:

Gee, I don't think I'm ready for Twisted Metal to have an interesting and interconnected story.

Then you'll love Twisted Metal 2012!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 23, 2016

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I still haven't played any PS1 TM games, but the one I'm most interested in checking out is honestly Twisted Metal 4. Black's style of pulp horror stories is by far my favorite direction the series has taken, but I've always loved when a game can embrace ridiculousness and just get silly as hell as TM4 seems to do. It's also one of two games directed by the founder of BottleRocket Entertainment, the inept geniuses who got the ball rolling on the Splatterhouse remake, and I adore everything that guy does right and everything he does wrong even more so.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Warthog at Suburban Terror

Cage loading screens:
  1. I've been killing for 12 years. It's my passion. But something's wrong...every time I do it...it breaks my heart...
  2. If I win this contest Calypso promises to remove the part of me that makes me sad when I kill.
  3. I've had one woman under my floorboards for 9 months. When I killed her, I cried like an infant. Why do I care so much?
  5. Doctor's want to know why I kill. I say, who gives a poo poo why I do it. I want to know why it makes me so sad.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. I once pushed a fat woman off a skyscraper. When she hit the ground? It was music to my heart...
  8. The police haven't caught me in 12 years. I will not fail. I'm too close to my dream...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Manslaughter at The Stadium Slaughter

Black loading screens:
  1. ...Name..................Black.............k..il...............l.....Calypso....
  2. .....They..................m...a....de................me......t-t-to.....win th-the....gam..e
  3. ...I....kn..ow...3 lessons..only....how t-t-to eat........how to..........cr..a..p..........how to kill
  4. ...T.ruck so big...........Black..........................is.................stronger..
  5. ....Was.................................I.........al.......way..s..........Black?.....
  6. ..I...kn..ow...all...of..Cal......ypso........weak....nezz......I...will eat...his...hea..rt...
  7. ............................Cal....ypso..........you..............are...ne....ar.....
  8. ....Hope...Cal......ypso....runs............more f..u..n for............me.......

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the laziest ending I've seen for anything in awhile.

It's worth noting that the original ending they made was vastly different, although still lazy and unsatisfying. It was almost identical visually, but the voice-over was from the perspective of Black's creator and ran though the duration of the cutscene. Dunno why they settled on making an even worse ending for the final game, but the original clashes slightly with the multiple universe concept and Black's epilogue in Lost. You can see it for yourself here.

rotinaj posted:

Well, he got his wish. Calypso ran. More fun for him. I never knew anything about Twisted Metal: Lost, this is pretty cool. Are you gonna legit get the hardest ending note thing, or are you gonna use cheats?

And how close are we to the end of the LP? Got any ideas for what, if anything, is next?

Getting the Lost hard mode unlockables is pretty easy compared to everything I did in Black, so we'll see what they're about in the next video and finish off the LP with one more video after that. I've got plans for what I might do beyond that, but they're not nearly concrete yet so really anything could happen.

Grapplejack posted:

Excited for the next character btw, his story and its resolution is pretty neat.

Saved them for last and for good reason, I think they're easily the best of the hidden characters.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Captain Foo posted:

always glad to see a new episode!

Always glad to hear it, feedback having been pretty scarce for this LP. Anyway, penultimate episode.

Update:

Yellow Jacket at The Carnival of Darkness

Charlie Kane and Son loading screens:
  1. I know things can't be like they were. But at least- when we win- people won't try to split us apart...
  2. My dad doesn't say much anymore. But I know he still loves me. I just wish- sometimes- he could tell me himself.
  3. I was always real smart. But I hated it. The other kids made fun of me. But being smart let me save my dad.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta get past his force field and I can win.
  5. My older brother is in this contest too. He scares me. But I think I feel some kind of... connection between us...
  7. This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win me and my dad will never be torn apart.
  8. Dad said I should always respect the police. But they want to take father away... I can't let that happen...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I'm not convinced that the format of the LP really works. Nearly five minutes of cutscenes per video to show off about five minutes of repetitive gameplay with play-by-play commentary is something I still can't justify even after all these videos. It demonstrates to me why Twisted Metal's developers try to come up with total re-imaginings of the series with every installment* even though they struck oil with the first one, because it just feels lacking and stagnant even at the earliest stages of the creative process. It's clear that plenty of people enjoy this LP despite its inherent flaws though, and that alone makes it worth having done it. (Well, almost done it; one video remaining)

*See the documentary that I forgot to post in the thread to hear about all the times the developers lacked confidence in their product and the countless ideas they pitched to "fix" it over the years:
Twisted Metal: The Dark Past

Mr.Flibble posted:

I may be late here, but did you know that you can backfire Black's special and he'll drop the rocks behind him and they'll act as a landmine for a few seconds, with his slow speed it may be more useful to use them that way.
Sorry in advance if this makes you play as Black one more time to try it out.

Yeah, I see the AI do that all the time. I always have no problem dodging it and I know other AI vehicles cheat so bad with landmine effects that they're practically immune to them, so I never had any confidence in using it that way myself. I see the potential, but I count myself as being free from Manslaughter so there's no risk of me buying another ticket to that shitshow.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Almost makes you appreciate the original endings David Jaffe shot for TM1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

12-Pak at The Death Port

With this, we come to the end of the LP. We're all finally free from Twisted Metal's dark world.

I'm not sure what or when my next thread will be, but I would appreciate it if people were to check out my other ongoing thread for Body Harvest. I've been very happy with the way that LP is going but it's a real dead scene over there lately and it could use a few more eyes on it if anyone's interested in old-school Rockstar goodness.

Thanks for watching Twisted Metal: Black and have a happy Halloween!

• Locked thread