Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I moved from DC to central Texas then central Texas to Nebraska and we've got another long haul move to location TBD this time next year.

The first time I had no real furniture, just clothes and kitchen stuff, so I ditched the furniture except a chair or two and excess kitchen poo poo and just took 7 feet of an ABF truck for under $1000, IIRC it was about $750 total. Second time we had more poo poo but we used ABF U-Pack again and used up 3/4 of the truck and paid closer to $2000.

ABF U-Pack is awesome and I recommend them to everyone who's doing a long distance move. Unless we get forced into using some other company next move I'm planning on using them again and I have a moving crew picked out I wanna use again.

Before you move:
  • Hide anything you don't want the movers to see/touch/know exists like valuables, fragile stuff you want to move yourself, or guns or whatever. I usually set aside a closet for such things if I don't have time to load them in the car first.
  • Buy a bunch of water and/or gatorade and stick it in your fridge for the movers. Some will turn it down, others will think you're the best person ever.
  • Label your boxes vaguely to obscure their contents. The movers don't know the box labeled "office" has an expensive PC tower in it, it could just be paper. Who knows. Some moves I number my boxes and try to keep a spreadsheet of what's in which box.
  • Call your utility companies to set up electricity/water/gas/cable etc. in your new house and call your current utility companies to schedule a shutoff date. If you can get the cable guy scheduled for the day you get there you'll have internet to dick around on while waiting for your stuff.

Bring with you in your car:
  • Anything irreplaceable/things that would cause a huge headache if they were lost (birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc)
  • Guns/ammo if you have them
  • Cleaning supplies (moving companies are not legally allowed to transport chemicals like that)
  • Live plants and pets (duh)
  • Paper towels, toilet paper and soap/hand sanitizer (don't load up your toilet paper in your moving truck then go "oh poo poo" literally when you go to take a poo poo in your new place and have no TP)

When you get there:
  • Find a grocery store and/or walmart or something and get some paper plates/plastic utensils to use till your stuff arrives, unless you want to eat fast food every meal.
  • Fill your fridge with water and/or gatorade again for your destination moving crew.
  • Go to the DMV and change your address/register to vote and update your address on EVERYTHING (billing address at the bank, Amazon account, etc)
  • Once the movers leave double check your doors and windows, often times sketchier moving crews will unlock a window to come back and steal your poo poo while you're out later.
  • Check your stuff for damage, the earlier you catch it the harder it is for the moving companies to weasel out of a claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you not have your own car? I was going to suggest a UHaul trailer.

Are you moving for work/have friends who work at large companies on either end? I've gotten some stuff to myself using corporate FedEx accounts on both ends for fairly cheap/free.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Movers actually prefer cardboard boxes since totes have a tendency to crack. I used totes for a few moves and most of mine are pretty beat up and cracked at this point. Boxes have a little bit of squish so if something presses up against it in the truck it has some give rather than cracking and breaking.

• Locked thread