Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
MALCOLM TURNBULL: If we need more money, then they go, the state would go to their parliament, raise the money, go to the people and persuade them of the merits of it.

MATT WORDSWORTH: Not according to the Treasurer.

SCOTT MORRISON, TREASURER: The Prime Minister made it pretty clear today also that we have no appetite for states to be able to increase taxes.

SKY NEWS JOURNALIST: The Prime Minister did say today that in the future states would be free to increase their income tax rates, which would in fact increase the overall tax burden.

SCOTT MORRISON: Well, the Prime Minister has - I don’t think has gone that far, ultimately.

MATT WORDSWORTH [REPORTER]: It’s another example of a communication breakdown between the PM and his Treasurer after the Budget was brought forward by a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What it means is 8 new tax offices.

think of the employment numbers!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hello, you've reached the North Queensland Tax Office, all of our Customer Service Representatives are busy wrestling crocs at the moment. Please be assured that your call is valuable to us - CLICK -

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What it means is 8 new tax offices.

That means it will be 8 times as efficient, yeah? i think i understand how this works, I am a national treasurer

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My bus is late.

I blame the Greens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

My bus is late.

I blame the Greens.

You need ubiquitous computing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Endman posted:

My bus is late.

I blame the Greens.

Have you considered adding a inner city metro subway to solve your massive urban sprawl problem?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Have you considered adding a inner city metro subway to solve your massive urban sprawl problem?

Some of the old trolley buses are out at the transport museum in glenorchy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

screaden posted:

Aren't free range chickens still allowed to be de-beaked as well?

Isn't this actually the slightly more humane thing to do if you have way too many chickens in the one place? Or they peck each other to death?

Obviously the solution should be to stop farming them or at least drastically decrease their density, but lol capitalism and all that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/AntonyGreenABC/videos/vb.1564480870539792/1605586383095907/?type=2&theater

Antony Green is live now.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Aww, it just ended as soon as I started watching. :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't this actually the slightly more humane thing to do if you have way too many chickens in the one place? Or they peck each other to death?

Obviously the solution should be to stop farming them or at least drastically decrease their density, but lol capitalism and all that.
There is nothing humane about debeaking

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

MALCOLM TURNBULL: If we need more money, then they go, the state would go to their parliament, raise the money, go to the people and persuade them of the merits of it.

MATT WORDSWORTH: Not according to the Treasurer.

SCOTT MORRISON, TREASURER: The Prime Minister made it pretty clear today also that we have no appetite for states to be able to increase taxes.

SKY NEWS JOURNALIST: The Prime Minister did say today that in the future states would be free to increase their income tax rates, which would in fact increase the overall tax burden.

SCOTT MORRISON: Well, the Prime Minister has - I don’t think has gone that far, ultimately.

MATT WORDSWORTH [REPORTER]: It’s another example of a communication breakdown between the PM and his Treasurer after the Budget was brought forward by a week.

Anyone else think Turnbull is doing this deliberately to make Morrison look like an idiot because Morrison the only plausible candidate the LNP has to replace him with? Or are they just loving stupid?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Aww, it just ended as soon as I started watching. :(

https://www.facebook.com/AntonyGreenABC/?fref=photo

You can watch the replay

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone else think Turnbull is doing this deliberately to make Morrison look like an idiot because Morrison the only plausible candidate the LNP has to replace him with? Or are they just loving stupid?

But he makes himself look stupid in the process. What if Malcom secretly works for the Labor party? :kyoon:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

so according to herr morrison's interpretation of the change, literally all they're doing is making government bigger by adding to the bureaucracy of collecting income taxes and not actually generating any new revenue? then what's the point?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

so according to herr morrison's interpretation of the change, literally all they're doing is making government bigger by adding to the bureaucracy of collecting income taxes and not actually generating any new revenue? then what's the point?

Because it's agile.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Because it's agile.

You gotta be agile to duck all these responsibilities.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

But he makes himself look stupid in the process. What if Malcom secretly works for the Labor party? :kyoon:

Let's add to that the theory that Bill Shorten is a Liberal plant, because most everything he does is indistinguishable from what one would be doing.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not April yet but the March thread gets closed for being confusing?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
bless him :rice:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:3:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

bowmore posted:

There is nothing humane about debeaking

I suppose my point is that the need to debeak is a symptom of overcrowding, rather than a problem in itself?

That banning debeaking won't make chicken farming more ethical or humane.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

It's like the RSPCA's stance on halal slaughter. It's not the most humane option we can do, but it's the only real workable solution to a real issue we have right now. Or in their words:

quote:

In these cases, the risks to welfare from allowing feather pecking and cannibalism to continue are greater than those associated with the beak trimming procedure.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

I've spent pretty much all day trying to get my head around how this state tax proposal would work and I can't make it work.

No matter how I carve it up, so long as Turnbull's plan is for the ATO to collect everything so as to reduce compliance costs, I can't see it being constitutional for a federal body to collect state taxes.
Either the states can't authorise it (the autocthonous expedient invests state with federal, not vice versa), or there could be a preference between states which the ATO couldn't be shanghaied into enforcing.

The alternative is for each state to pass assessing acts with collection by their state revenue authorities, but even if the acts are identical to what exists now I can't see people swallowing two separate returns each year given the trouble they have with filling in one.

A page late, but it's probably constitutional because it used to be that way, and was abandoned because it was a Stupid Idea and we used to be smarter.

The Treasury posted:

Between 1915 and 1942, income taxes were levied at both the state and federal level, leading to complexity and inequitable taxation of income across states. The Second World War saw fundamental changes to Australia’s taxation system. In 1942, income taxation was consolidated by the federal government to increase revenue as a war-time measure. As a result, the states’ tax base was reduced (see Chart 1), replaced by federal government grants. The states’ tax base was supplemented in 1971, when the then federal government ceded control of payroll taxes to the states

from http://archive.treasury.gov.au/documents/1156/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=01_Brief_History.asp

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gorbash posted:

A page late, but it's probably constitutional because it used to be that way, and was abandoned because it was a Stupid Idea and we used to be smarter.

from http://archive.treasury.gov.au/documents/1156/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=01_Brief_History.asp

My understanding is that the states had a collection role and that states had assessing acts which are no longer in force.
Turnbull's proposal is for the states to get their cut without doing any administration. It's that part which I don't think works.

Constitutionally we can cross-vest powers to an extent and the Cth can invest state bodies with federal jurisdiction, but the states can't invest federal bodies with state jurisdiction.

The alternative I thought of would be for the ATO to collect a state based levy akin to the Medicare levy, but if these are at different rates maybe s99 of the Constitution prevents it, and the problem with collection of state taxes may still be there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This reform was announced at a rugby league club guys.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
The only thing I know about Australia is Garry the Goat. Is that Goat still running around being badass??

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

He's PM now.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hypnorotic posted:

The only thing I know about Australia is Garry the Goat. Is that Goat still running around being badass??

He wore controversial blackface makeup and stared in the movie The Witch.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ScoMo is on 7 30 tonight apparently

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If he was doing this regularly months ago, maybe. But as a tactic this close to a Budget and a possible DD, it's suicide.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ewe2 posted:

If he was doing this regularly months ago, maybe. But as a tactic this close to a Budget and a possible DD, it's suicide.

Just because it's irrational doesn't rule out intent.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Zenithe posted:

ScoMo is on 7 30 tonight apparently

How was he?

Also, it isn't April.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EvilElmo posted:

How was he?

Also, it isn't April.

Of course it is. Please, we're more agile than 'calendars' or 'time'.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

How was he?

Didn't answer anything really, to I'm hoping by now nobodies surprise.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just because it's irrational doesn't rule out intent.

Not at all, but Turnbull isn't normally associated with such lunacy, maybe the pressure is too much

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

open24hours posted:

The point they're trying to make there should be pretty obvious. They never gave up their sovereignty voluntarily and they don't accept the legitimacy of the Australian government.

Cartoon posted:

The indigenous 'nations' actually have stronger grounds than you may imagine. Only NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia ever directly claimed sovereignty via England. The rest of Australia was administered as a protectorate. It wasn't until federation that a vague claim for sovereignty was made over the entire country. This claim wasn't ever fought over and has no legitimacy beyond what can be enforced through the courts.

They can demand sovereignty, insist that they never signed a treaty, and that the Australia Government has no claim - but if you can't pass your own laws , collect your own taxes and boot out everyone who isn't a "citizen" you're obviously not a Sovereign Nation. Recognizing the "Continuing Sovereignty of First Nations" (as NIRS announces each day) is ignoring reality. Actual sovereignty is a pipe dream.

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups. I wish it hadn't involved bloodshed but I don't see any feasible way the original inhabitants could have kept ownership of the continent into the 1900s.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups.

Are you really using technology and literacy as an argument?

If England had a stack of tanks, and they managed to destroy India's lone spearman, is that not an invasion?

Aren't there tribes of uncontactable people all around the world (New Guinea, Bolivia, Brazil for example) that specifically aren't being integrated (invaded?) for heritage reasons? Would kicking them out so their forests can be cut down not be construed as some sort of invasion? Why would the term invasion only be applicable to those that understand the relatively modern idea of a sovereign state? I bet the dudes firing arrows at a chopper are more then happy to deny they are part of Brazilian Sovereignity, and probably have the right to feel they have been invaded.

Also you sound racist.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Going armed to a place to know is inhabited by others is textbook definition of invasion

• Locked thread