Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LibertyCat posted:

They can demand sovereignty, insist that they never signed a treaty, and that the Australia Government has no claim - but if you can't pass your own laws , collect your own taxes and boot out everyone who isn't a "citizen" you're obviously not a Sovereign Nation. Recognizing the "Continuing Sovereignty of First Nations" (as NIRS announces each day) is ignoring reality. Actual sovereignty is a pipe dream.

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups. I wish it hadn't involved bloodshed but I don't see any feasible way the original inhabitants could have kept ownership of the continent into the 1900s.

"If they were real, they would have had the british legal/real estate system", is one of the worst and most abusive ideas in world history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
we should all own guns to protect from home invaders, because if you can't defend it is not really yours.

If you don't have a gun, that guy breaking in and killing you for your TV is just taking what is rightfully his.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Negligent posted:

we should all own guns to protect from home invaders, because if you can't defend it is not really yours.

If you don't have a gun, that guy breaking in and killing you for your TV is just taking what is rightfully his.

gently caress yeah i'll fuckin kill a man for my teev, fuckin' NUTCASE

Takin' a MAN'S FUCKIN HOT SEAT, WITH EDDIE

TO HELL

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

Oh god the IPA got to you too. :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

They can demand sovereignty, insist that they never signed a treaty, and that the Australia Government has no claim - but if you can't pass your own laws , collect your own taxes and boot out everyone who isn't a "citizen" you're obviously not a Sovereign Nation. Recognizing the "Continuing Sovereignty of First Nations" (as NIRS announces each day) is ignoring reality. Actual sovereignty is a pipe dream.

Let's be blunt; when the Europeans arrived, they were not greeted by a collection of civilized nations. Australia was inhabited by illiterate stone-age tribes that could never have defended their homeland from any settlement by other groups. I wish it hadn't involved bloodshed but I don't see any feasible way the original inhabitants could have kept ownership of the continent into the 1900s.

:allears:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

"Force, my friends, is violence, the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LibertyCat posted:

Can we just hang this at the start of each new thread like some kind of corpse on a gibbet

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Here are some helpful articles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_jure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

You are a racist piece of poo poo

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LibertyCat posted:

Your three tests of a sovereign nation (that you pulled out of the air) already happen though?

LibertyCat posted:

Illiterate - wrong
Stone-age - white man category
Defended from settlement - happened, lots of white people were killed, but the boats kept coming with more white people.
Kept ownership - if white people hadn't invaded

You're talking about a group of peoples that has the least evidence of large-scale destructive wars, had solved the population crisis, invented sustainable living on a continent scale, and in Thursday Island formed a southern Constantinople of international trade. What did white man bring? Individualism as religion.

Oh yeah and white man has slowly been losing since federation, genocide was so much easier when Australia was a colony.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Negligent posted:

Going armed to a place to know is inhabited by others is textbook definition of invasion

As I said earlier I don't have a problem calling it an Invasion, although it'd have to be the easiest invasion on record.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LibertyCat posted:

As I said earlier I don't have a problem calling it an Invasion, although it'd have to be the easiest invasion on record.

Uh it wasn't easy? And this is from the white man side too

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

asio posted:

Illiterate - wrong

I don't recall anyone finding aboriginal written texts dating prior to European settlement, have you got a link?

quote:

Stone-age - white man category
That doesn't make it invalid.

quote:

Defended from settlement - happened, lots of white people were killed, but the boats kept coming with more white people.
It wasn't purely a numbers game and you know it. Europeans had massively advanced militaries (in comparison) and had greater numbers due to agriculture, cities, and the other hallmarks of civilization.

quote:

You're talking about a group of peoples that has the least evidence of large-scale destructive wars, had solved the population crisis, invented sustainable living on a continent scale, and in Thursday Island formed a southern Constantinople of international trade.

And what did it get them? As soon as another culture (with access to modern technology) decided it was mildly interested in taking over, they were done for. The Invasion was so easy most people don't consider it one because it was so massively one-sided.

quote:

What did white man bring? Individualism as religion.

As well as a few thousand years of technological developments. No-one has (on a large scale) decided giving up books, metal tools houses etc is a step forward.

quote:

Oh yeah and white man has slowly been losing since federation, genocide was so much easier when Australia was a colony

I don't follow you, i don't want anyone to experience genocide.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

asio posted:

Uh it wasn't easy? And this is from the white man side too

Which invasions had a higher km^2 territory gained : aggressor death ratio?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ITT PissCat looks at a triangle and says it has the wrong syntax

also

don't touch the poop

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
April fools?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You know you goofed when you're being mocked by Negligent.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

I don't recall anyone finding aboriginal written texts dating prior to European settlement, have you got a link?

what is traditional rock art et al.

quote:

That doesn't make it invalid.

These people were savages, and we gave them ~culture~

quote:

It wasn't purely a numbers game and you know it. Europeans had massively advanced militaries (in comparison) and had greater numbers due to agriculture, cities, and the other hallmarks of civilization.

And what did it get them? As soon as another culture (with access to modern technology) decided it was mildly interested in taking over, they were done for. The Invasion was so easy most people don't consider it one because it was so massively one-sided.

As well as a few thousand years of technological developments. No-one has (on a large scale) decided giving up books, metal tools houses etc is a step forward.

I don't follow you, i don't want anyone to experience genocide.

????

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Pretty sure the quality of life enjoyed by your average indigenous person in the mid 1700s would have been much higher than your average british peasant living in London. That's even before the massive drop in quality of life experienced by those peasants about to be sucked into the industrialised capitalist machine.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
deffo sure the average indigenous person in... ever was smarter than pisscat is in twenty six teen

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Shocked to learn that a libertarian is really racist

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Shocked to learn that a libertarian is really racist

Its like the worlds shittiest joke reveal.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

sidviscous posted:

"Force, my friends, is violence, the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived"

I would like to know more!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Anyone got American libertarian screeds about how the 'homesteading' of America was the only just theft of property?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Anyone got American libertarian screeds about how the 'homesteading' of America was the only just theft of property?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

The Anschluss?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Lol the colonies almost fell apart multiple times and was only ever saved by more boats propping up the population until the zerg factor overcame incompetence. Also please look up the definition of genocide.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Anschluss?

Nah they were invited :hitler::hf::hitler:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Little did the British know that by doing this they created Australia. Go back in time and show Captain Cook this thread, problem solved.
I remember a bunch of lovely shows on the History Channel saying that the British were a mere few days away from being beaten by the Dutch. Speaking dutch would be pretty rad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

April Fools! It's actually the 21st century, not the 19th hahaha had you going guise! I was just playing the role of an ignorant social Darwinist, see. Now where did I put my cultural relativism hat and post-modern cloak?

Back in the adult world (just the juicy bits):

quote:

Senator Arthur Sinodinos' demand that references to him be removed from an explosive NSW Electoral Commission statement about a political donations scandal has been firmly rejected by the commission.
Mr Sinodinos has also denied fresh allegations the NSW Liberals were pursuing banned political donors before the 2011 state election.

Questioned about this on Thursday morning, Mr Sinodinos claimed that despite its title – "State campaign 2011 potential donors" – a list which he helped draw up, was used to target donors for both federal and state election campaigns.

But Fairfax Media can reveal the list was created on November 9, 2010, almost three months after the August 21 federal election.

Emails tendered at a landmark inquiry by Independent Commission Against Corruption in 2014 reveal that Mr Sinodinos, at the time the party's state treasurer, was personally involved in drawing up the list and assigning party officials to "solicit" potential donations.

Also on the list of targeted donors was Australian Water Holdings.

The entry puts into focus his testimony before ICAC that he had no knowledge of AWH donations to the party.

"Does that suggest to you that you did not know that the company of which you were deputy chairman was making donations to the political party of which you were treasurer?" Mr Sinodinos was asked. "It was not a process I involved myself in," he replied.
On Wednesday night Mr Sinodinos was the guest speaker at a federal fundraiser organised by the Rose Bay branch of the Liberal party.

"The elephant in the room was not spoken about," said one guest about the donation imbroglio.

Another was very put out about being a banned donor due to being a pub owner: "I can't donate to the NSW Libs but any brothel owner can? Who's more reputable?" he said.

Did I say adult? April Fools.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Anidav posted:

Little did the British know that by doing this they created Australia. Go back in time and show Captain Cook this thread, problem solved.
I remember a bunch of lovely shows on the History Channel saying that the British were a mere few days away from being beaten by the Dutch. Speaking dutch would be pretty rad.

Wanna read an alt history on this.

Imagine being able to ride your pushie around without being told to get off the loving road by a bloke listening to AJ talkback.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

The French, but close enough.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
South Africa called to remind everyone that the Dutch weren't any better.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey I haven't had foxtel in a decade. Pretty sure every colonial power had a toe in Australia and was an wax sealed envelope away from invading it. I'm not sure how you'd rank them in regards to genocidal brutality though. Maybe some of the other Great Powers would've tried softer assimilation but that's just fictional theorycrafting because they were all racist to an extent back in the day.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
"Back in the day"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well, much worse than now. They don't keep African Children in Zoos anymore I hope...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't believe how good this thread is!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

I can't believe how good this thread is!
It's gone noon in the eastern states Skelly. The A bomb isn't happening any more.

Colonial chat:

Of all the colonial powers you definitely didn't want to be colonised by (in order of badness).

Belgium (anybody remember the Congo?)
Spain (Hello Central and South America!)
then it's a nil all tie between England, Holland, Germany, France, Portugal, Other.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ottoman Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
LibertyCat you should have a read into Colonisation's effects on Indiginous Australians and then look into the process of Decolonisation

• Locked thread