Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading to Windows 10 too, unless there's some big ol' reason I shouldn't.

I have a couple of games that don't play nicely with Windows 10, but that's the only problem I've had with it and I have dual boot for those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope to be able to download miitomo if I ever have the money to buy a smart phone or tablet, for cheap, in the next 2 years

Smartphones are absurdly cheap these days, as long as you're not going for an iphone or any brand that gets advertised on TV. You can probably get a capable one for :20bux: off-contract, less if you wait for something like Black Friday.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

axleblaze posted:

Remember when EGM fooled Capcom of America into thinking that there was a SF character that Japan hadn't told them about yet? Good times...

My favorite part of the Sheng Long prank is that eventually, every bit of it came to be a real thing in later Street Fighter iterations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Matrimelee? Come on. Pretty detailed for a joke, but it looks like a couple sprite re-colors or straight up rips from other games. It's a lot better than the usual MUGEN junk, that's for sure.

You say that as though that even cracks the top 10 of absurd fighting game concepts.

I don't know if you're going for some weird elaborate April Fools thing here but that is an actual game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ahundredbux posted:

Will april have any cool games or is this a good month to finally play and complete some old games I got laying around like alan wake

Instead of Alan Wake, you should play a good game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

remember how nobody could run bleem for poo poo when it was on store shelves? good times.

I remember how by the time Bleem actually came out, the freeware emulators were like a thousand times better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Do people watch game streams for anything besides speed runs? I would try doing one but I don't have the dedication to any one game to play the poo poo out of it for speed runs, and I'm also not some hyperactive screaming rear end in a top hat, which seems to be the only alternative for streamers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This would be impressive if they hadn't done that exploit at AGDQ that programmed a Mario Maker clone into the game.

I would probably still hate it though because gently caress Flappy Bird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Sports games that don't have kunio-kun or fire power-ups in them are not real games.

It's true, the last great baseball video game was Baseball Simulator 1.000

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Solid Snake is dead? Who the gently caress is the guy in the latest one then?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 5

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think someone pretending to be a guy to not get raped by pirates is the same as a transgender person.

It's been a while since I played FF5, but somehow I never picked up on the rape context...?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Twitch is lame, watching others play video games is lame on the internet, donating money to people playing video games on the internet is lame, donating money to people to watch people playing video games on the internet is lame.

And yet, I wish I could be a millionaire off playing video games for the internet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Furnok Dorn posted:

smashed pissers

I'll have to add this one to my euphemism dictionary.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was that game ever actually sold for money? Pretty much all the BBSes in my area back in the day had it up for free, and they weren't pirate BBSes or anything.
Boy was that ever a disappointing day when I played that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's a chapter 4? How many of those loving things are they going to make?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

The only Gauntlet game I've ever played was the NES version and that had an original soundtrack full of some really catchy tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoTRFgVImQ

Anyway everyone I finished Hexen and its expansion. It was bad. So very bad. Moved on to Hexen 2 now and so far it's not bad!

Hexen 2 is the third person game that doesn't resemble Hexen at all, right? Or was that Heretic 2? I think they made a Heretic 2 at some point.
Out of all of those, Heretic is probably the best IMO. Had so much fun beating my neighbor's rear end in that over modem play. Got to play it a couple times on DWANGO too.
Hexen multiplayer was poo poo because each class only had like 4 weapons and then you had to find and assemble pieces for a game-breaking fourth weapon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, they sort of got worse over time after he left :(

I haven't played any of the Playstation ones after WLK, but Beautiful Katamari is still real good. It caught a lot of poo poo when it came out because :qq: ON DISC DLC :qq: but the DLCs are only a dollar, which adds a total of like $5 to a $20 game whose base game I believe is the same length as its predecessors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They also want to push their stupid UWP thing, because people really want to play PC games designed for cell phones/tablets.

It's not as though it's impossible to scale a mobile game to a PC console well, or vice-versa.
Not saying that MS won't gently caress it up, but it's not a totally stupid concept or anything.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

do you get that the title Undertale

refers to the meta narrative

as well as the straight narrative

sans is a comedian
comic sans
do you get it
do you

Man Whore posted:

When I was playing undertale and after I just beat it, it was literally my game of the decade but now that I've had some time since then my opinion on it can be summed up in "ehh it was p good I guess."

I liked it up until the part with the weeaboo dinosaur and her stupid loving robot, from there everything up through the ending was kind of a slog
That was the pacifist path though, I didn't try the kill-everything route.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I find it really odd how many people have such a strong negative reaction to Anime Dinosaur in Undertale.

It was mostly how she loving calls you every 10 steps for that entire segment and I got sick of her poo poo real fast
I don't hate Mettaton in particular so much as just that entire section in general

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 7, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Since I haven't played the game since the first playthrough, one question just crossed my mind for y'all:
At the end of my pacifist run, the flower says something about going back to talk to Undyne I think? Are you supposed to actually go back and find her or is that one of those meta things that carries over to the next playthrough?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I just woke up and I was gonna tell everybody to have a nice day today but I'm flipping out because it's loving snowing outside what the gently caress weather make up your goddamned mind

Let me guess, central Pennsylvania?

Paladinus posted:

I have nowhere to post hottest and most important news on video games censorship, so I hope it's alright if I post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLegdwWd8TY

So it was neither called offensive nor censored, just that the devs felt like assholes for doing it and decided not to?
FUCKIN SJWSSSSSSsssss

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 8, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Ninja Gaiden Xbox wasn't as good as Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

In a weird bit of trivia I learned a while back, the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy was only named that in the US because of the totally unrelated arcade game that came out the year before, and the original Japanese title was "Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword."
Then, when the arcade game was later released in Japan, they changed its name to match the title of the Japanese NES games (despite the fact that you don't really use swords much in the arcade game).
Then when they made the Xbox series, they just called it Ninja Gaiden everywhere because they made the game with Western appeal in mind.

Hope you enjoyed this video game history lesson.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Plan Z posted:

After Prime, I honestly can't imagine a good non-first-person fully-3d Metroid game. I can't think of too many great 3d exploration-based games that did it first-person, though I'm fine with being corrected.

Not sure what you mean by "fully 3d" but there have been a couple good isometric / 3/4 angle metroidish games. Ys Origin on pc and Scurge:Hive on GBA/ds come to mind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

What's the point of that?

I guess to appeal to people who have a pc and a ps4 but for some reason don't want to cut out the middleman and just play the pc versions of those games?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, Steam in-home streaming is awesome, and I don't even need a ps4 to do it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In game news that isn't some dumb fedora bullshit, somebody found another crowd-related cue in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out related to when you can one-shot Piston Honda and Bald Bull.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I dislike Windows 10 a lot. I am glad it is only on my laptop.

What do you dislike about it? I've been using it for a couple of months now and there's nothing that I feel like I'm missing from Windows 7.
It's much more tolerable than that piece of poo poo Windows 8.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They seriously forced the terrible ribbon UI for windows explorer? Ugh, that is horrible and dumb. I still hate that you have to use it for office products.

I feel absolutely filthy defending Microsoft here, but you can get rid of the explorer ribbon by literally just right clicking it and selecting "Minimize the Ribbon" and then you never have to see it again. There are similar controls to hide all the other extra junk they've added to Explorer windows over the years. It's hardly something worth getting worked up over, I get more annoyed having to go into the folder settings and turn on file extensions when I do a new install.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The World's Best Selling PC Magaz

The layering on that cover makes no sense. His arm that's further away from the viewer overlaps the tagline, but the muzzle flash from the gun he's holding closer to the viewer (and is firing towards his face for some reason?) is overlapped by the tagline.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Y'all are super mad I don't like this gaming fad. Pretend I was talking about cover based shooters instead.

This is how it's been with dark soul spergs from the very first one, just be glad it doesn't lead to a five page derail anymore.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I realized the other day that I got through like half of Paper Mario like a year ago and put it down and never came back to it, so I've been playing through the rest over the last couple of days.
It's good and enjoyable, but I think a lot of the more annoying aspects are blocked out by peoples' nostalgia filters.

Golden Goat posted:

I never played Shadowgate, was the Steam version any use?

You just reminded me that I bought Shadowgate in a steam sale like a year ago. :negative:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Paladinus posted:

Buses are Dark Souls of public transportation.

City buses? That poo poo is scrub level.

You want a Dark Souls level bus experience where any wrong move could lead to your death? Step up to Greyhound tier, son.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nasgate posted:

That would be against pokemon usage guidelines.

I recall Brock making tons of fruit sandwiches and [s]filled rice balls[/'s] DONUTS

Fixed that for you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

That video led me to discover that they made a Lupin III game for PS2 and, uh, 3d does not do that art style any favors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGzlMCq-YAc

PS2 era 3D cutscenes did nobody any favors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, PS2 era 3D cutscenes turned the cast of FFX into asian models, so

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Golden Goat posted:

Also if you're on console prepare for honorbaby invaders yelling at you via messages when you murder them mid-bow.

Because how dare you attack an invader!

What is it with nerds on the internet and bowing

Wasn't that also a big thing with the people that were big on lightsaber dueling in that one Star Wars game?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 14, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Finished Paper Mario last night. It was pretty fun overall, although the special bounce attacks basically break the game. The only things I didn't really like about it were that the action timing seemed kind of wonky sometimes (don't know how much of that is due to VC timing inaccuracies) and that most of the music was really, really bad. It sounded like someone using a midi program for the first time and just noodling around. A lot of music in N64 games seem to be that way and I don't understand why after how good the music was in most SNES games.

Anyway, guess it's time to find a copy of The Thousand Year Door, so I can keep pretending I don't have a steam list of games I haven't played yet numbering near the hundreds.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Such great songs about video games out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6wxDqdOV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

My modding memoir will be titled A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

What on earth made you think modding would be fun?

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

My friendly local game store just informed me that my copy of Bravely Second has arrived and I can pick it up tomorrow morning. Gotta work late that day, but I'm really excited. :toot:

What's the word on what Bravely Second is like, based on the Japanese version? I've heard that they don't do the "you have to do the same tired poo poo four times in a row" thing which is a plus, but I've heard pretty much nothing else about whether it improves on the original.

• Locked thread