Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

How well has Donkey Kong Country aged? I'm thinking of purchasing it using my New Nintendo 3DS.

I still like it but I've heard enough people say it looks bad and plays bad to say you should probably just try it to see for yourself. Or perhaps even wait for the second one if it's not already on 3DS since it's the favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

3 is actually pretty bad. Not horrendous, but I've never been able to make myself even finish it. It's a serious misstep.

3 is my favorite.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

So I started playing Project X Zone 2. What a mess of a game, I have no clue what is going on or what anybody is talking about or who half of these people are.

That's because not only is it a cameo game, it's like the fifth game in a series of cameo games that all share the same continuity.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

VideoGames posted:

That was pretty cool and I'm starting to get used to the dpad movement controls instead of the sticks. It's a really well made game.

MGS had analog stick support so you should be able to use them, if you're playing on PS3 there should be an option in the menu when you press the home button.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jesus Christ a new RBI Baseball game.

That's actually the third one, MLB bought the rights and it's been a yearly franchise since 2014.

They've been aggressively okay.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There will be much in the way of soul-killing and collecting next week, my friend.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only bad thing about Undertale's soundtrack... is that a lot of songs on the OST only loop once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The Fat Lesbian Lisa Simpson dinosaur is the worst because not only is she incredibly annoying but she's a terrible person who is directly responsible for pretty much every bad thing in the game and nobody really calls her out on being a complete monster.

Probably because a lot of people have such a raging hardon against anime that it's seen as the greater offense.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I remember getting to one of the later levels in Catherine, and I had screwed up somewhere and it was too late to backpedal, so I started just pushing random blocks and got the entire stage to drop which caused the game to literally stop and have to chug until it could get the blocks to drop.

To its credit it never crashed and eventually went back to normal after they all fell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

ninja gaiden isnt really a stealth game so theyre not comparable

Neither is the PS2 Shinobi. Shinobi's the game where you have that longass red scarf and you are constantly under a short time limit unless you're constantly killing dudes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It is sad that Team Ninja did not get to go crazy because I don't know how people would have taken Samus brutally decapitating space pirates with tit swords but it would have been better than Other M

As long as the tit swords were hidden in a place I could backtrack to before beating the game, I'd be happy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

theultimo posted:

The first metroidvania was castlevania 2: Simons quest

Nah, it's the first souls game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axleblaze posted:

It totally is. It's simpler than DMC and more QTE heavy but if you're gonna saying a DMC type of game is it's own genre, pretty muc all of it's defining features are in GoW.

It's a Devil May CRygar

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I learned all about Nina Williams by getting my Death by Degree

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am having fun spinning into dudes as a Mercenary.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'd probably love a Star Trek adventure game and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done before.

Yeah that post just made me think of Telltale doing a TNG game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or at the very least don't loving turn the chat thread into it. It was closed for a reason shut the hell up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is Darksiders any good? Both games together are $5 on Steam.

I liked the first game and what little I've played of the second. Like they're not masterclass games or anything and are a bit unremarkable in parts since they're clearly inspired by other games but it's still fun the way they're put together.

There's also a secret boss in the first game which is a skeleton with a top hat and a cane.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't really see the problem if you just do it through Gamestop or Amazon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Motto posted:

I can't think of a game so scarce that you couldn't find a copy near release. Even right now I could go over to a gamestop and pick up the Trails of Cold Steel if I hadn't already.

Trauma from the days of rare JRPGs and niche games, which stopped being rare sometime after digital distribution became common.

I still remember when most of Atlus' games were impossible to get if you didn't preorder them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I only ever liked the first Jak game and the first Ratchet game was so boring I fell asleep during it on a couple occasions.

Of course I never really tried the later Jak games, the GTA comparisons and gunplay stuff turned me off super hard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Toad is a wonderful game that I beat in an afternoon and there's nothing wrong with that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Butt bandit is now giving people lovely Lums.

Whatta scoop

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Hey why is Dark Souls 2 considered to be the worst of the series? I played it right after finishing DS1 and it seemed like it was cool and better?

It is a good game but it should have had 2/3 the content, there is a bunch of filler areas and bosses.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

At least it doesn't have lost izalith

I'd forgive the rest of that area if it wasn't for the loving bloom blinding me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Black Gulch could do with having the cute warbly tooth toilet vacuum monsters, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Iron Keep is still my least favorite area, just because they threw way too many of those Alonne Knights in there and they just sort of teleport to you so you can't run past them. That's still the only boss run in the entire series where I couldn't find a route to just run to the boss.

That's the other thing that goes against the "these games are super hard" thing, when you know an area you can typically run past every enemy because you know where they are and how to avoid them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Tree boss is toughish depending on build because his little glands get hard to hit later in the fight

You don't have to hit those, you can also get the arm.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

So I guess the new Star Ocean is only 20 hours long? That's disappointing.

Star Ocean 3 was like 80 boring hours so that sounds good to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

How the original Deus Ex handles it's multiple choice ending is really loving cool.

You get to the final area and keep getting handed different objectives by the multiple factions in the game, and if you start doing an objective for one faction the others start yelling at you to change your mind which you can totally do up until you finish one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The multiplayer game is more fun than it had any right to be.

Also you can mix and match the song remixes to play wherever you want.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not even really a flaw though unless you think it makes the environment look bad because it doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I meticulously choose the carving in my inventory, place it in my active item slot, and walk towards the cliff. I use it and the carving hits the lowest ledge, and Gough's voice echoes a very throaty "WHO CARES" through all of Boreal Valley.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Make it even more dark and gritty. Jak is the main character in TLoU2

They will have to fight to put Daxter on the cover.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think Ni-Oh would be a lot better if the first mooks you see couldn't kill you in 1-2 hits. Or at the very least I'd get to see more of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only thing that bothers me in old school localization is just stuff that was unclear but that's less about "CENSORSHIP!" and more about the fact that I would have liked to know that you can cancel the super attack the Masamune boss in Chrono Trigger has with the Slash move, a fact that was not even alluded to in the SNES game but made perfect sense in the DS version.

Oh, and also that bullshit where they would change the difficulty for the US release. You've got stuff on one end like Final Fantasy IV where they made it easier, and then stuff like Bayou Billy and Castlevania 3 where they made it a ton harder.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

For the most part I agree with you, but even when I was a kid I could recognize the terrible grammar in the FF2US translation. If FF5 ever came out that would've been even worse, if the PSX version was any indication.

As I recall from an ancient Official Playstation magazine article, at one point the entire script of FFV was accidentally replaced with the translation office's emails for the past month or something like that.

I need to lookup that issue, a lot of stuff about the PS1 FFV makes sense after I remembered reading that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stellar work from the minds of a fantranslation outfit stupid enough to call themselves DeJap.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

did somebody say barbie movies

Undertale sequel looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

This happened to PS2 memory cards and Soul Calibur 2 as well. Frightening stuff.

Soul Calibur II? All I remember is SCIII had a glitch that would eventually corrupt your save file for that game, but not the whole card.

Then there was that demo disc that wiped people's memory cards that got so many complaints that they started handing out (cheap, overstocked) games for free.

• Locked thread