Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

april fools day is a tiresome and annoying loving tradition

Falcom's owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

For what it's worth, it's not like Nintendo didn't notice the incredibly poor reception of Other M, and there are multiple sources that confirm that Sakamoto is no longer in charge of the franchise and is in the same shithole they put Gunpei Yokoi in after the Virtual Boy was a complete flop. Team Ninja screaming from the rooftops that the shittiness wasn't their fault probably didn't help his case.

Actually, it appears that he decided he was done with Metroid of his own accord and went back to working on weird minigames like he had been prior to M. He's worked on Rhythm Heaven Fever, Tomodachi Life, and Miitomo as Producer since.

Motto fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 1, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They made the official website for an upcoming game look like this.
http://www.sora-evo-3rd.com/

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd murder Hitler.

That's what Hitler would do.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Megafunk posted:

The parallel worlds thing is really cool. I can't believe people figured this out.

It's still crazy, but it is an ultra-popular game that people have been messing with and picking through for decades.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Complaining about "agendas" is stupid to begin with; every piece of writing is influenced by the author's beliefs and views. If something is entirely inoffensive to you, that means it didn't challenge your viewpoint, not that it's absent of ideology.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 6, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/717514531967254530

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No, yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dang, last I heard about it was in August or something and then nothing.

I was reminded of it and wondered if it had been that underwhelming.

It's a year past its projected release date at this point.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nintendo wrote Other M, not TN.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

free my post!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He's been Producer on Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Life, and Miitomo.

e: I'd say that their first mobile venture matters a fair bit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I blame Nintendo lore bloat for everything bad that's ever happened

okay miyamoto

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samus was pretty nimble in the 2D games by Zero Mission and Fusion.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

other m's plot is meaningless anyway, most of it is rehashed from Fusion

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sakamoto strikes me, as most Japanese auteurs, to be a man with his head deeply inserted into his rear end,

hrm

e: other m's writing is pure rear end, but Sakamoto didn't "famously dismiss" Prime, he called it a side-story, which it is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's been awhile since I read the article, so you're probably right. People certainly thought he was being dismissive of it, which amounts to the same effect. And Prime is a "side-story" only in the case that there's a "main story" which basically means Metroid 1 and Super Metroid. I don't think those two games, great as they are, are so deeply instrumental to the "plot" of Metroid that they render all other games in the series as "side" titles. Basically, this asserts that Prime is less "important" to Samus's story than the Sakamoto-helmed games, which is certainly an assinine thing to say. I'd argue that all of the Prime games do great things in exploring Samus' origin, the universe she lives in, and we even get some chances to have other characters to banter at her in the third game. All of the Prime games tell good stories that keep with the feel of Metroid without undermining Samus or the universe she lives in (both of which are done in Other M.)

it just means that the 2D and 3D games are about different things and don't really affect one another. the 2D ones are about metroids and poo poo, the Primes are about dunking everything in Phazon, which conveniently disappears from the universe after 3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

not delving into spinoffs, all of them besides Other M are at least alright. the NES game is kind of a pain to play, but it has a good remake in Zero Mission.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's more linear than the typical metroid, and getting locked into exposition rooms got tiring, esp since a lot of them were reminding you of stuff you already had a marker for. Still really like it though; being my first Metroid probably helped.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Something interesting about Fusion, not saying it's good or bad, is that you tend to take a lot more damage from enemies compared to other Metroid titles and get thrown much further back when you get hit. This obviously ties into the theming of Samus going from Hunter to Hunted, which is an interesting case of mechanics echoing story. Of course, you could also argue that's a sign of things to come since it disempowers Samus and makes her more of a victim and less of a stone cold badass.

That's a bit of a stretch. Fusion's partially like a horror game in 2D action form, and by the end you're back at full power, triumphantly slapping an Omega Metroid's poo poo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Venture into the Fire Emblem thread, where people attempt to make romhacks using old-rear end utilities that constantly crash and produce inexplicable errors at random.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's funny how Solid Snake is/was an iconic videogame figure, but only leads two MGS games, one of which features him as a dying, depressed old fart.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 9, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kojima generally makes pretty good games even aside from MG, so it depends on the scope of his next project.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He was also producer on the Boktai series, which is good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

My fave moment is the part where I can't play it because console exclusivity is still a thing in 2016 AD

That's what happens when the console producer funds the game.

e: you don't have to like it, but it's like still being angry about bayo2. These sorts of games either exist as they are or not at all.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 9, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

memey

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Videogames are bad at genres

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Hack n slash and Beat me up also work, predate character action game, are more descriptive and don't bs more like a game genre.

Beat 'em up makes me think of games like Streets of Rage or Final Fight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kamiyalike

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until the Souls fad ends.

Souls 3 is the last one, so

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i've never found it particularly hard to avoid stuff that I'm uninterested in

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tyabann_da/status/719722925356490752

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Harvest Moon games added combat like a decade ago. It's weird, I know.

Rune Factory was good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The internet is going to explode when a bunch of people who dont even own a Wii U see that Zelda is being pushed back for the NX.

I'd be annoyed if it was entirely moved over rather than just ported like TP since I have no intention of getting an NX, but eh.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Wii U owners are going to get royally screwed over. We all invested in a console that Nintendo promised would have amazing support from game devs, instead it became yet another Nintendo only system

lol if you expected otherwise from the second the thing was announced

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

raditts posted:

What's the word on what Bravely Second is like, based on the Japanese version? I've heard that they don't do the "you have to do the same tired poo poo four times in a row" thing which is a plus, but I've heard pretty much nothing else about whether it improves on the original.

They heavily increased the meme quotient.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't think of a game so scarce that you couldn't find a copy near release. Even right now I could go over to a gamestop and pick up Trails of Cold Steel if I hadn't already.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2016

• Locked thread