Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Farycry primal 2 announced

You better be able to ride a loving t-rex in it.

I used to be all about "dinosaurs and people didn't live at the same time!"

but now that everyone knows that, it's way cooler to be like "gently caress it, dinosaurs are awesome". Who gives a poo poo about realism, especially in Far Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I rest my case. That game is amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Constr posted:

I bought hyper light drifter

Keep us updated. I almost bought it, but since I "accidentally" bought a $30 Gundam model, I'm waiting till I hear more about HLD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dang, is it me or is this month's chat thread kinda slow?

I'm busy watching Galaxy Quest, so my rate of posting may be slightly reduced...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I hope the fanservice sunbro covenant in 3 has a good name worthy of Solaire

I just hope covenants work well. Half the covenants in 2 were broken as poo poo, and covenants in BB were mostly useless.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
so here's a sort of sketchy question: My Dark Souls 3 from amazon didn't come on time, so on tuesday, I went to gamestop and bought a copy. Yesterday, my amazon copy came. So now I have one opened copy that I bought from gamestop and one unopened copy that I got from amazon. Both are for ps4. My roommate has an xbox one. What I want to do is take my unopenend ps4 copy to some local store and exhange it for an xbox one copy. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral, I have a brand new unopened game and I want to exchange it for the same game on a different platform, and that feels like something I should be able to do, but it also feels kinds of sketchy.

Does this seems like something I should be able to do? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The answer to all these questions is "I am lazy as gently caress" and wanted the easiest and fastest possible solution.

I am definitely never pre-ordering from amazon ever again though. I've pre-ordered exactly two games in my life, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Neither of them arrived on release day despite saying they would when I ordered them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also has to be at least modern enough to have 3D graphics, please.

I mean, I basically hate them, but the Fable games are pretty chill. Fable 3 is pretty much hegemonic slumlord simulator.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the process of making the worst blind LP of dark souls 3.

dark souls 3 is great. I'm a terrible LPer. It's a learning experience.

I'll be sure to post it when I've finally finished editing and processing episode one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 3 is really good so far. I'm about 14 hours in, and I think it's a very safe assumption that I am less than a quarter of the way through the game

It has all of the good things from all soulsgames. Like I expected it to be more like ds1 than ds2, but I'm not sure it's accurate to say that it is. It's more like they looked at all existing soulsgames and said what are the best elements from the design of each? And then made a game that has all these elements, along with its own brand new mechanical flavor, and is still its own cohesive and polished game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Dark Souls III makes a lot more references to the first game than it does the second. Dark Souls II is increasingly feeling like the black sheep of the series.

Yeah, but it has a lot of ds2's quality of life features that didn't make it into Bloodborne, and I also seem to be tripping over bonfires. It feels like a mix of ds1's hub bonfires and ds2's sprawling checkpoint bonfires.

But yeah, when I said it had the best parts of every soulsgame, of course that means it will have the least from ds2...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone apparently unfamiliar with the fact that for some of the greatest artists in history did art as their jobs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first message I wrote was "ahh, skeleton" it was in front a of a body that was technically not a skeleton though, and it's got more down votes than up votes.

"Huh, it's a _________" is the best new funny message template though.

I've found some illusory walls that didn't have messages in front of them, so it felt pretty helpful to put messages in front of them. that and shortcut messages. I've never played a soulsgame this close to release where my messages can be legit helpful to new players.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There basically zero chance a "new Twilight Zone" can be a better new twilight zone than Black Mirror already is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've got to be the only person who thinks that BioShock's story is garbage and BioShock 2's is decent.

Edit: ^I think about 1/3 of Black Mirror is genius and the rest is... not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: in response to FactsAreUseless

We are opposites. The second episode is mediocre. My two favorite episodes are probably the one where everyone records their memories, and the one where there are chatbots who imitate your dead loved ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

i just tried caestus in ds2 and it's not very good, what gives?

ftfy.

Just kidding, DS2 is fine. It's just not as good as 1 or 3 or Bloodborne.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

Sometimes I think I forget how to have fun playing first person shooters but then I play Doom and remember that people who make the shooters forgot.

Black Mirror discussion on the last page, the thing with that show is that everyone seems to have their own favorites and episodes they just can't stand, cause yeah its an anthology series and does a bunch of things. I think everyone should at least watch White Bear though because that episode is just brilliant and harrowing.

I literally didn't like White Bear at all until the scenes that were peppered into the end credits. Still not sure it made it worth watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha

also... I never played any of the games (might pick up the new one), but you're telling me that Rachet, from Rachet & Clank, is a cat?! I assumed he was some kinda weird fox, you know, from his 0 feline features...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

Uhhhhhhh, no he's a Lombax which is distinctly NOT a cat.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cat and robot, raccoon et al., dude and weasel.
facts really are useless.

This is pretty great. I mean, I found it amusing. I have a sort of dread that it's a game about being a loving nazi.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

The best animations in the history of gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpTgbC-Jn0

Honestly the only ones that really look bad are the crouchwalk/run and the crawling. The rest is totally acceptable to me.

But if I still played twitch-shooters, I'd still be playing Urban Terror, so...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Powered by Unity lol Capcom

Yeah I was confused and thought it was some kind of fan project or something. Nope.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I've been hearing that apparently gameplay wise it's pretty good?? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

As someone who has played over a hundred hours each of ds1, 2, and Bloodborne, ds3 has really, really good gameplay. I think that the gameplay itself is the best of the three dark souls, but it's apples and oranges with Bloodborne.

I've played loving asstons of ds2, both vanilla and sotfs. Ds3 is much better.

I'm not completely sold on the bosses in ds3 yet, but I have a few left before I beat the game.

Ds3 has the most quality of life improvements of any soulsgame. Oh except ds1 style leveling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in ds2 your covenant ring takes a ring slot. In ds3, there is just a covenant slot. It's way nicer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Hey why is Dark Souls 2 considered to be the worst of the series? I played it right after finishing DS1 and it seemed like it was cool and better?

I think it hinges a lot on what you like about dark souls. Ds2 removed a combat mechanic that is somewhat central to my playstyle (heavy attack -> light attack), I lacks the elegant interconnected world design of the first, it has a bunch of really boring bosses.

I like lots of things about ds2 and think it is a great game, but I dislike basically every change from ds1. Hence ds2 being worse.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also ds2 has too many stats, holy gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

At least it doesn't have lost izalith

Black Gulch is worse than lost Izalith in every way, though. Yeah lost Izalith is unfinished and boring, but it's also quick and painless.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Black Gulch could do with having the cute warbly tooth toilet vacuum monsters, though.

I mean is completely a matter of taste, but Lost Izalith was still fun to explore for me and not tedious poison turret bullshit with invaders with way too much health.

But mostly ds2 is "the worst" because ds1 and ds3 are so good. I never played Demon's Souls.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

You'll never convince me Lost Izalith isn't the worst level & boss combo in the souls series.

It almost certainly is. The Rotten is not a bad boss at all, if a bit mediocre. I feel like a lot of the bosses in ds2 are mediocre. But I also love it because it has a ton of bosses that are just boring guys that fit on the screen. I'm one of those dudes who hates giant bosses. What I really like about ds2 is how much their is. There is just so much. It really is a great game. I haven't finished it yet, but I feel like ds3 makes it a great trilogy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

The differences in quality between the Souls games becomes so minute as to be irrelevant once you play something like Lords of the Fallen, or a similar game, Elf Bowling 1 & 2 for the Nintendo DS

Basically, yeah. For any flaws that it has, ds2 is a fun game to play with a variety of builds. It has a huge variety of areas and enemies, and it has a great art style.

Most AAA games cannot say that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I would say that most AAA releases are "fun" in the sense that they are functional, have pretty graphics, and a degree of UI polish that makes them easy for players to get into. But they rarely tend to be polarizing in the same way that more niche titles are so unlike Dick Swirls you'll never find a goon who just can't stop talking about Assassin's Creed. DS isn't the best example though because it's the most AAA of niche, or the nichiest of AAA, however you want to look at it.

No doubt. I said that Dark Souls was fun with a variety of builds. Many AAA games have a lot less replay value and more balance issues. I don't have anything against AAA games, but soulsgames are games that I find myself going back to, over and over, because I find the single player gameplay itself to be fun and engaging even after dozens of hours. That's what makes me such a big fan of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I stayed away from them for a long time because from what I heard it sounded like they were stupidly hard for the sake of being hard. When I finally started playing dark souls, I realized that it's not really like that at all. If you accept two things:

You are going to die and you should stop associating death with failure.

You have to be willing to learn from your experiences.

If you can accept those two things, they becomes very much "learn at your own pace" action exploration games.

Not everyone can get into that mindset. I tried to get a friend from work into them, and he couldn't ever get past the "I died, this sucks" mentality.

I die all the loving time. I am "not good" at these games. But I have a lot of fun learning to build my character to capitalize on my play style and then learning to change my bad habits that get me killed. I was really bad at stamina management for a lot time. I've gotten a lot better. My biggest problem now is that I roll too soon. So, I suck, last night I got killed by the same non-boss special enemy about 15 times before I beat him. Almost ever death was because I "panicked" and mashed the roll button during his windups, so he had time to adjust his aim and still hit me. I got plenty frustrated, but I took deep breaths, and focused on controlling my instincts to input actions in deliberate manner.

They are games that punish you for being sloppy or careless, but in a way that reminds you to be disciplined and aware of the situation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

I still think dying in souls games isn't as punishing as people think.

Yeah, that's my point. People carry this attitude into it from other games. In most single player games, dying means a return to checkpoint. Everything you did is undone. In soulsgames, all the enemies are respawned, but you keep all the items that you picked up, and you get a chance to recover the souls you had when you died. So where in most games, if a level is hard, you are repeating it until you beat it and all you have to show for it is what you got on you final, successful, run, in soulsgames you can buy your way to a stronger character while working on the part if the game you are stuck on.

Edit: beaten. Slow-rear end phone posting...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

And part of your max health, in DS2.

Yeah, that's part of why I wasn't a fan of this. It felt antithetical to the experimental nature of learning to play the game in ds1. A lot of things in ds2 seemed designed more as "gotchas!" than educational challenges, and I didn't really like that either. Mostly in sotfs though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

The health penalty is back in DS3.

It is not. You just get a like 25% bonus to your health when you are carrying the ember. When you die, you lose the ember. There is no penalty every time you die.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Getting a holiday bonus in December is not the same as getting reduced pay in January.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In Dark souls 2, you start with a certain amount of max health. Every time you die, you lose some max health, until your health is halved. Playing the game with full health is balanced pretty normally, while the game is much more difficult with half health.

In Dark Souls 3, you start with a certain amount of max health. Every time you die, this does not change. Playing the game with this amount of health is balanced pretty normally. When you use an ember, you get like 25% bonus health, which you will lose if you die.

In Dark Souls 2, you face the first boss with full health, and each time you die, your health is reduced.

In Dark Souls 3, you face the first boss with full health, and when you win, you get bonus health.

That is not the same thing "framed differently".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Which part of DS2 punishes successive deaths, and Dark Souls 3 doesn't, don't you understand?

It's mechanically different.

One punishes you the first time you gently caress up. The other punishes you every time you gently caress up. That is loving different.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

the clever thing is that since co-op makes you human, DS2 is actually making sure there's always a supply of white phantoms

This was originally a glitch, and then they decided "gently caress it, I guess that's okay" and made it work consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think there's a big psychological different between being continuously penalized every time you die, and having a "bonus" that you lose if you die while having it. Because my original point was that there is a large element of learning by experimentation. You do not start out embered in DS3, so the whole time you are loving around in the tutorial area, your health does not decrease. This is different from DS2. When you are un-embered in DS3, you can die as many times as you want and there will be no penalty. This is a regular operating health. Once you have died 10 times in DS2, you have 50% of your normal health, and this is definitely a penalty as far as your survivability. At this point, you can continue dying with no penalty, but I think that 50% health is much more arguable a penalty state than your stat-determined max health in ds3.

• Locked thread