Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

It's six A.M., too early for God by any reasonable account, when the dorm bells rouse you from whatever dreams you've been having and the iron-faced sub-deacons, their self-stitched probably-secret-hair-shirts robes making them look like morbid chess pieces, get you moving with stern, repetitive knocking. You flow out with the other students in a thick stream, through the gardens, to the gates of the main chapel, where you are to engage in the regular Saturday blessing -- that is to say, everyone mills around outside the very definitely locked doors to the cold, solid church interior while the pastor and the Deaconess do whatever it is they do to prepare for the Saturday blessing, or possibly stall you to teach you some kind of discipline.

Last night, a student was found, drunk as all hell, against a wall -- on communion wine, no less, like a parody of Catholic school students -- Stacey Laplace, a previous unknown whose most distinctive attribute was a faint French accent. The Deaconess takes these incidents very seriously; Laplace isn't here, and the sermon will almost certainly involve "the perils of drunkenness" or something.

Aparajita, why didn't you get enough sleep last night (besides the obvious issue of waking up at six)? What injury of yours -- minor or major -- has finally healed? Are you hungry?

Dominic, what did you find at the door that you could tell belongs to Stacey? Whom, if anyone, have you told? And... hang on, it's not in your pocket any more. What do you think happened to it?

Diana, Cara asked you to hold on to something last night -- a little glass trinket, an empty bottle vaguely like the ones they use in those "sprout in a bottle" necklaces. There's a few flecks of dirt at the bottom. She asked you to return it this morning, but you can't actually see her in this crowd...

Emma, why was last night fantastic? For you, at least. Obviously less so for Gone Girl French Version. What mark of your passage did you leave behind that was potentially incriminating, in retrospect?

Hannah, what does your stochastic insight say about today's weather? Did you know who, exactly, was going to be in deep poo poo today?

Please link to your character sheets.
String sheet here.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Stats: Hot -1 Cold 2 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Experience 0/5 Conditions:

I managed a whole 5 hours' sleep last night, which is pretty good by my standards, but probably only because that vision was so vague - laughter and cursing, the smell of vomit, the sense of something left behind which I know can't even be an actual neurological thing, more an impression than a sensation. Not much to ruminate on, nobody I knew, because I knew jack poo poo about Stacey Laplace beyond the fact that her name's pronounced 'La-PLASS'. Funny how I knew it was her before I'd even had a shower, though. I'm too tired to work out if I actually heard someone say that or not.

The sky's that perfectly ambiguous shade of grey like someone forgot to load the skybox for today, the sort that could go any way but I just know it's going to snow, the miserable kind that soaks through your clothes but melts before it hits the ground, too slow for sleet and too soft for rain. I'm not sharing that insight with anyone though, that's how people got burned at the stake back in the day.

Nothing's started yet, but everyone looks pre-emptively cold and miserable and too strung out to even gossip properly. Except Dominic, who's trying to find something he's just lost. Or he will be, at least, right now he's at the surprise stage. So why not give him a hand? What could go wrong?

"Hey, Dominic, you ok? What're you looking for?"

quote:

Name: Hannah Manto
Skin: the Seer
Look: Whatever was clean, tired eyes
Origin: Flashes of inspiration

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Moves:
I've Seen It Happen:
Once per session, when you gain a string on someone who does not have the Terrible Fate condition, the MC may make you roll +Dark. On a roll of a 10+, choose one. On a roll of 6 or less, the MC chooses one. On a roll of 7-9, veto one, and the MC chooses from the remaining options.
- They will lose something they hold dear.
- Great harm will befall them.
- Someone or something they relied on will betray them.
They gain the Terrible Fate condition, which they cannot lose in any way until the foreseen fate befalls them. And it will, one way or another, all you can do is try to control the damage.

Cassandra's Curse:
When you tell someone about their foreseen fate, gain a string on them. If they cannot or will not believe you, they mark XP.

I Know How This Ends:
When you roll to lash out physically or turn someone on who has the Terrible Fate condition, roll +Cold instead. When you roll to lash out physically or turn someone on while you have the Terrible Fate condition, you may roll +Dark instead.

Nap Fan: [Neighbour]
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two below for the MC to detail. The MC will tell you when you wake up, and then tell you the details.
- something has been left for you,
- someone unexpected is nearby,
- someone's been trying to contact you,
- something happened at home,
- something has been canceled,
- something has been broken,
- you had a nice dream.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you see the path your future together takes. Ask them if you’re worth the pain you will bring them. If they truly and honestly answer yes, they mark XP and gain the Terrible Fate condition. Otherwise, your fears come true, and you gain three strings on them.

Darkest Self:
Why do you even bother? People struggle and fight and try to control their futures, but it all ends up the same way, in the end. There’s no point in trying to avoid it. You’re going to jump into the waiting jaws of fate, and drag everyone you can down with you. It’s just easier this way.
You escape your Darkest Self when something terrible happens to someone you care about that you could have stopped, but didn’t.

Backstory:
The first fate you foresaw was your own. You told someone about it, and they didn’t believe you until it happened. Gain two strings on them.

Someone believed you once, but that only made it worse. You both gain a string on each other.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0+1/5 | Conditions:

It feels kind of cold outside, but I don't mind. It helps keep me a bit more alert, and I don't think I feel it as much as everyone else. I didn't get much sleep because I was still following Dominic around. Right now he's with the others and not really close to Emma so I'm fine staying away from him. He didn't really do anything last night either, which is both good and also annoying. Kind of wish I hadn't skipped out on so much sleep for nothing. Oh well.

I feel my head, where there was a pretty big injury before. I got knocked down during during a fight and hit my head really bad. I just told the nurse I slipped down the stairs and I think she believed me. Anyway, she said it would probably completely heal in a week but it's already gone. I guess that's something good about...whatever's going on with me.

I look over at Emma. She's facing away from me at the moment. I walk over and put a hand on her shoulder as I lean in close to talk.

"Hey Emma! You have a good morning? You want to...get breakfast later together? And, uh, you, uh, doing anything later today?" Maybe she'd be willing to hang out? And also eat, I'm actually pretty hungry.

Turn Emma On: 2d6+1 13
Gain a String on Emma
Marking XP for rolling Hot

quote:

Look: Wiry, Predatory eyes

Origin: Ancestral power

Stats

Moves:

Scent of Blood
Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll. • On a 7-9, ask one:
}} Where’s my best escape route or way in?
}} Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
}} What’s their secret weakness?
}} What poses the biggest threat to me?
}} Who’s in control here?

Unknowable (Infernal)
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. • On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Advancess

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hot: +2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
XP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

Wow this morning sucks. It's so early the sun's barely out, which also means its cold even through the poofy black jacket I'm wearing. Chapel is always awful, so it's not like I'm looking forward to it, plus it's a Saturday and we shouldn't even have to be here. Especially after how awesome yesterday was, I'm not even in the mood to gossip with everyone else about Stacy's drunken escapades. Instead I just lean against a wall of the chapel, coat hood drawn up over my head to tried and keep me a little warmer, while I stare out into space and think back on the better times from the night before.

See, mom just went out of town yesterday afternoon to a big seminar on mysticism or chakras or something, which means I have the house to myself. So after school, with Titania stowed away in my backpack (she's allowed to stay in my dorm room thank god, it's like having a roommate that's also a cat) I rode my bike over there and the two of us had a blast. I mean, tons of free food, access to my weed and bong, the super comfy couch in the basement, my game systems and computer and bass and a TV? Yeah, it beats the hell out of my dorm room, and I pretty much totally destressed with Titania laying on me, watching Archer on Netflix and ignoring texts and phonecalls while obliteratingly stoned on Faerie weed. Nearly passed out there, but I managed to pedal back to campus with a protesting Titania in tow around one in the morning. Think I left most of the lights on though. God, that'd b-

Suddenly there's a hand on my shoulder, and I'm instantly taken from my daydream of a night gone by and back into the real world. Shifting and spinning to turn towards the newcomer, turns out its Aparajita. Makes sense -equal odds it was her, Dominic, someone wanting to smoke later today, or someone from theatre. She's leaned in pretty close, and from what I caught of it, she's both A, looking a lot less cold than I am and certainly friendly, and B, she wants to get breakfast and spend time together later. Which, uhhh... why not? At least it'll let me figure out if she's interested in me or if she's just glamoured. 'Cuz if she's genuinely interested... violent or not, she's unarguably hot as hell.

"Bleh, still kinda tired," I confess, yawning with unintentionally amazing timing. Pulling my hood back down, I sweep my hair back into place and answer her question as enthusiastically as I can at this hour. "But yeah, breakfast sounds great, I'm starving." Oh, I wonder if she has any cigarettes - don't wanna have to bum them off people to smoke up in the control room during tech later, I've been doing that too much recently. "And nah, my schedule's pretty free tonight. My mom's out of town, was like, going to chill at my house later... see you there?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Yes! She agreed!

"Yeah I'm starving too. Wish they let us eat first, you know?" Before she can answer, I realize I need an important bit of information.

"Oh! Uh, I don't know where you live. Can you write it down or give me your number or something?"

As I take out my phone, I look at the still closed doors. "What do you think they're doing while we all wait outside?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I've moved in such a way that I've got my back against the chapel now, arms folded in a vain effort to stave off shivering. It's cold and the wind's not helping at all. The one bright spot about this morning is talking to Aparajita, who's actually cooler than I'd thought she was based on my limited earlier impression of her. At the minimum I totally agree with her about letting us eat first, it's insane to expect us to pay attention when we're all starving.

Kinda surprised she doesn't know where my mom's house is, but whatever. Had honestly thought that was common knowledge here - maybe I'm not as cool as I think I am? Leaning forward as she withdraws her phone, I pull my own from my coat pocket, opening the Facebook app and maneuvering to the 'add friend' section. "Here lemme just add you on Facebook, my address and phone number are both on there." It's convenient after all. "Anyways it's a big house, painted violet, big tall wooden fence around it, lots of trees - hard to miss really, it's like half a mile from campus. Since mom's gone it's just my cat and me there, should be fun."

As for what they're doing inside? I have no idea either, but I follow her gaze towards the door anyways. Corner of my mouth raising in the beginning of a lopsided smirk, I suggest "Oh come on, you know she's giving him a," I pump my circled hand up and down in midair, giving her a knowing look, "or something like that. C'mon, it's gotta be really easy, since he's in that robe?" Think it's called a robe. Er, vestment, that's it!

Whatever it's called, I'm kinda actually curious now. While I doubt it's what I suggested - eww gross - there's gotta be some reason they strand us outside all the time like this, and it can't just be prep work. Given how often we pray here, they should have getting ready for it down to a science - drama tech has our tech stuff down, and it's way more complicated. So what's keeping them? I let my vision soften while I look at the chapel doors, calling on the powers of my Fae heritage. We don't get along with churches, and we don't like lies - so let's have some truth about what's going on inside this one.

<Rauri> Gaze into the Abyss
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7+1 = 8
Gazing about what it is they're doing inside. Picking Scary + confusing

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 31, 2016

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet

I'm cold. I'm miserable. I'm irritated.

...and I'm scared.

This sucks. I was in an awesome mood this morning. Normally, I couldn't stand Saturday Blessings. Weekdays were their own pain, but 'Saturday'? It felt as if they were created to annoy me personally. Especially when I had things I rather do instead. To me, it was another waste of time. Got to the chapel, sit on a pew. Listen to a guy speak aboout God, then get insulted when 'God' refuses to answer my prayers. Same sone and dance, except this time it's the super special 'Saturday Edition'!

...I hate this place.

But this morning... this morning I was going to be determined. This morning, this very morning, I was going to talk to Hannah. And not about her leg, or about classes or any other small talk... no, I was going to go up to her and... well... let the chips fall as they may. All that was needed was to give Cara back her bottle.

And that was when the suckage began. I first waited at our usual spot, under the oak tree on the otherside of the yard. No show. Then I began to ask around the yard. No one has seen her. Then I waited near the fence, thinking she was late. Thirty minutes passes and nothing, all spent by me sitting on a bench near the gate staring at the bottle. Just what the heck was this, anyway?

It was no use, though. Thinking on the bottle didn't deter my thoughts from Cara. It made things worse, actually. Time to settle this.

I stood up and walked towards the main yard, now looking for a new target, my original one: Hannah.

I remember past Saturday Blessings, where we were told about how Prophets were given prophesies to share to 'Gods People'. What if Hannah was another one of those prophets? I was still slightly skeptical... but a part of me wanted to believe. A part of me was hoping to believe.

A part of me wanted her to myself.

That particular part of me went into convulsions when I finally ran into Hannah talking to Dominic.

Immediately, and without thinking, I walked up beside Hannah, my arm slithering around her own, my hand reaching down to clasp her hand, intertwining our fingers. My body was a step ahead of hers, almost as if I was a barrier between him and Hannah. My thumb lightly rubbed her knuckles subconsciously as the cold wind slightly picked up to blow my hair away from my face and creamy white neck that was exposed when I canted my head to the side, giving Hannah a good look. A close look. I'm sure the scent of my light perfume wafted into her nose as well. My lips curled upwards in a lite, innocent, and disarming smile.

I didn't mean any of this... but as I was told later, I had the habit of being unintentionally sexy at times. This was one of them.

[02:33] <TheJoshie> Turning on Hannah (+2 True Love; +2 Hot; +1 Unashamed-Hannah takes a String on me)
[02:34] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6+5
[02:34] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 5+5 = 10
[02:34] <godfish> you can put on unashmed afterwards
[02:34] *** LifeGetsWorser [~LifeGetsW@synIRC-65E9DA8D.rochester.res.rr.com] has quit [Ping timeout: 180 seconds]
[02:34] <godfish> and it adds to the result, not the roll so that'd actually be a 2d6+4 +3
[02:35] <BClip> Look at you removing any element of failure
[02:36] <TheJoshie> godfish- So that result is actually a '9', then

Made two errors: True Love is +1 and Unashamed could be added AFTER the roll. So it's actually +3 for a total of 8
So 8+3 from unashamed=11. Hannah gains a string on Diana, Diana gains a string on Hannah. Since this is more than 5 total strings between the two, this activates 'Entrenched'.

With my head canted sideways, I addressed Dominic. "Hey, Dominic... do you mind if I borrowed Hannah for just a second. Something important came up and I really need to talk to her."

Nothing against Dominic, but it was something about him that made me... jealous? I don't know.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1
XP: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

It was a watch.

Stacey Laplace's lost watch was a bit like mine, but different: more delicate, sized for a girl's wrist, and with an orange-pink tone to the gold. It had a satisfying weight when I picked it up, and it shone, although a few scuffs made it clear that she'd worn the thing often and not cared for it well. Or maybe they were fresh? It still ticked, though, so whatever Stacey's last night had entailed, it hadn't ruined it. I hadn't decided what to do with it, but now it's gone.

I pat the pockets of my pants again, squinting at the ground. If I dropped it, it couldn't have been too far away; I would have felt the absence of its unfamiliar weight well before now. I already can't say I'm too optimistic, though. Watches seem to be a thing for people to lose -- otherwise, why would there be so many clocks around, secured and immobile on walls?

No. I inhale, letting the cold air clear my head. It's got to be here somewhere; I will not be stolen from again.

Hannah interrupts me, and I only barely managed to smile in the expected human way. "Oh, Hannah. Good morning. There's something I'm missing, something I found last night and..." Wasn't sure whether or not to keep? "... needed to give to someone on the faculty." That's better. More expected. "A little watch someone lost. Have you seen such a thing?"

And then Diana's there, Diana of the graceful backstroke. I widen my smile just a bit, although my eyes flicker back to the ground, searching for any hint of that pink-orange gold. "... morning, Diana. You can have Hannah if you like, although that's her choice to make. Do as you like." Is there something inviting in my willingness to let Hannah go? Humans seem to like things to flow, and perhaps I might disarm dear Diana a bit. She seems... anxious.

Turn On Diana (Disaffected, +cold): 2d6+2 10
Taking a string on Diana, marking XP above for rolling Cold

quote:

The Selkie
Look: Sleek, oil-drop eyes
Origin: Like grandmother

Hot -1
Cold 2
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Moves:
Outer Skin
When you wear your pelt you look like a seal. Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do return there, it’s for good, so make a new character.

Their Word
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it. When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before they’ll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task. If they don’t return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Pelt Held By: Emma Morgidda

Catch of the Day
Whenever you don’t understand what’s going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Disaffected (Ghoul)
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they’ve had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It’s time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Backstory
You’ve seen someone (Diana) swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone (Emma) stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Emma: You watch the walls of the chapel peel away; unfortunately, what you can see is blurred by the thick, hard static of piety, so the truth flows only through the gaps. A deathly still figure stands in front of the Pilgrim Mother's statue, holding an empty bowl -- an indistinct murmur like prayer -- a quivering figure in the first pew, though whether it's from rage or fear you can't quite tell -- a quiet slap? -- the second figure vanishes, dreamlike, from the room into the adjoining office. The bowl is full now, of oil and water; the room's light reflects in it and produces a luminescent fire, and something deeper. Something dissolves in it.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet

I placed a hand on Dominic's shoulder. "I appreciate it Dominic, I do. I'll bring Hannah back in a sec. Apparently we have _plenty_ of time to waste out here. For God and everything..."

Stupid school.

But yeah, Dominic. He had this... I don't know... quiet intensity to him. Maybe that was why I felt threatened by him. He wasn't like Aparajita, whose presence was, for the lack of better terms, intimidating, but he was mysterious. Especially this morning, where it looked like something was bothering him. I wanted to hug him.

...screw it.

I hugged him, releasing Hannah for a second to slip my arms under his and give his rib cage a slight squeeze with my arms. Now I'm sure my lite perfume wafted into his nose as well. "Hey! Cheer up! We won't be long! We'll have our little girl talk then we'll be back, okay?"

roll posted:

[10:59] <TheJoshie> Turn on Dominic (+2 Hot)
[10:59] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6 +2
[10:59] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 6 +2 = 8

Using unashamed to add +3 to make that an 11. Dominic gets another string on me, I get a string on him

I back away and soon I turn around completly, repeating my hold on Hannah to pull her away a little distance to a seemingly abandoned corner of the chapel near the back. I looked around to make sure there were no prying eyes before continuing. "...okay, Hannah..."

And... I freeze. I mean, seriously, how can I ask this? Everytime I roll the different variations of the request in my head, it comes out flippin ridiculous. And the intimate setting, alone with Hannah, made it worse. Breath, Diana, breath.

"...right... okay... right..."

This is bad. It's like talking to my parents again. That crippling lack of knowledge and ability on what to say and express myself? Here it is. Why can't I be bold here like I was a few seconds ago? What was different? Gaaaah!

"...uhm... Cara. Have you seen her? I mean 'seen' her seen her?" Sigh. Pathetic, Diana, try again. "You know, like, 'was she hit by a car' seen her?"

...that... was actually worse.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 0+1/5 Conditions:

"A watch? I'll keep an eye out. Not yours, then - " I'm talking to Dominic, trying to get myself interested in this most mundane of mysteries when Diana grabs my hand. This is pretty drat embarrassing to admit, but it's like an electric shock, physical contact was never really my thing and my personal space has been downright pristine lately... just about every thought in my head disappears except for what the hell? There's a weird exchange between Diana and Dominic that only dimly registers, a vague sense of irritation along the lines of I'm not yours to give away, idiot but next thing I know Diana's dragging me around the corner and babbling about Cara and oh poo poo.

She likes me. poo poo. Does she? Am I jumping to a conclusion too far? Am I... no, I'm not going to gently caress this up. And she remembers the car thing exactly like I thought she would, probably subconsciously hoped she would, but it would have been more convenient if she hadn't and I really need to take a step back.

I pull my hand out of hers, probably harder than I need to. poo poo. "Listen, Diana, please just... slow down, ok? I mean, I don't know what that was back there, just... you know, let me breathe, right? I'm kinda... not... comfortable." Not exactly eloquent, but I suppose embarrassment is contagious, though I could really do without her getting the wrong idea here. Like I might be getting the wrong idea, maybe. I just need to clear some space in my head.

Deep breath. "I haven't seen Cara, and that means normal eyes slash third eye slash whatever. And I really don't want to talk about the future thing unless I have to. I think you get that, right? Besides, that's not all you want from me, is it?"

Shut Down Diana: 2d6+2 9
Spending one of my giant mountain of strings to boost that to a 10. Diana can have the condition Personal Space Invader. Experience for Cold. Plus, since Hannah's gained a string on Diana, I've Seen It Happen can now trigger...

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I confirm her friend request. "Thanks. I'm kind of new here." Also I haven't really gone out into town much, but I don't want to say it out loud.

When Emma starts making those motions, I stare at her for a second. Then I start giggling. "Emma!" I say as quietly as possible. "Well...I hope they're not doing it where we're going to sit!" I look at the doors again when she does so. Hmm...jokes aside, I am wondering what's going on. Now that Emma agreed to join me for breakfast and to hang out later I kind of want to just get the morning sermon over with.

I try to think of something else to say. "So, uh...your mom is out of town? That's cool. What's your house like?"

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet
XP: 1+1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Personal Space Invader
Gato posted:

"I haven't seen Cara, and that means normal eyes slash third eye slash whatever. And I really don't want to talk about the future thing unless I have to. I think you get that, right? Besides, that's not all you want from me, is it?"

Oh... oh dear.

Looking into Hannah's eyes, sincere yet unwavering... I was laid bare. There was no hiding it now, was there? The problem was that, judging by the way she snatched her hand away, I don't think I will like what she would say next, regardless of my answer.

Just say it, Diana...

My heart was pounding. My eyes were locked on hers. How long has been? A minute? Mere seconds? How long would she wait for an answer? Did she already 'know' my answer?

Just say it, Diana... Damnit say something!

I steeled myself... or attempted to, at least. I closed my eyes...

Roll posted:

[00:37] <TheJoshie> Diana is Holding Steady (-1 Cold, +1 Entrenched)
[00:37] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6
[00:37] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 7 = 7
[00:37] <TheJoshie> \o/
[00:37] <ShootaBoy> noice

Swapping Personal Space Invader with 'Terrified'.

+1 xp

When I re-opened them, My eyes were like steel. I didn't back off. I stepped towards her. "...you're right."

I grabbed her hand. "Hannah Manto, you are possibly the second reason why I don't want to drop a bomb on this place and turn it into glass. You interest me. Intrigue me... and... more..."

Oh my God, my hands are trembling as I lean in. I broke her personal space again, but gently caress decency, gently caress the rules. I'm tired of being constrained of waiting for direction. Right now... what I want is right in front of me. Someone... a very special someone... who was in danger of disapearing from my grasp unless I 'do' something.

I 'could' wait for god to answer my prayers... or I could create my own destiny.

I licked my lips so that the little bit of daylight that did permeate from the cloudy sky shined off them. Hannah was against the chapel. She couldn't back off as I kept leaning forward. Our lips barely touch, 'if' they even touch at all. It was that faint.

...I like you, Hannah Manto...

roll posted:

[01:01] <TheJoshie> Turning on Hannah (+1 True Love, +1 Entrenched, +2 Hot)
[01:01] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6+4
[01:01] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 5+4 = 9

Using unashamed to add 3 to make it 12. I use the string immediately to apply 'sexually confused' condition on Hannah. Hannah also gains a string on Diana.

EDIT:
[01:10] <Heliotrope> TheJoshie: You can't get more then one String from a move per scene
[01:11] <TheJoshie> ...DOH!
[01:11] <TheJoshie> Alright, editing.

So, new plan: Not using Unashamed and leave it at 9. No string for Hannah. Instead it's Hannah's choice as to what happens. Shall spend a string for the 'sexually confused' condition.

The words flowed off my tongue as I felt a sense of elation. I did it! I faced my fears and told Hannah Manto that I liked her and oh my God, what did I just do!? Am I insane!?

Eyes wide as my fingers went up to my lips, I turned and ran. Terrified. Oh my God, I kissed a girl. Without her consent even! I was merely asking her for help in finding Cara and it lead to this!? What the hell was wrong with me!?

I kept running around the corner, stopping to hide from Hannah just incase she was looking for me. My ragged breath gasping out of my mouth...

"Diana... you're an idiot..." I mumbled to myself, "...a 'gay' idiot at that."

And it was here that I looked up and saw Emma and Apparajita standing infront of me. poo poo.

"...A 'happy' idiot! Yep, that's me!"

...God... if you truely are real and you actually going to answer my prayers... kill me now...

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 1, 2016

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Hannah: The universe converges around the barely-a-kiss, a heat in your skull that runs the length of your spinal cord. Little details, in tandem, reveal the topology of the future, the spin of atoms, and the unstoppable, radiant future swallows you up... Roll with Dark.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 1, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I'm barely able to pay attention to Aparajita, I'm too stunned by what I just saw. That's... not what what I was expecting. Pretty sure I know what was happening though - the pastor was doing some sort of magic ritual, Stacey wasn't on board for it, and the deaconess is now speaking to her in the side office. Now, knowing all that, I still have no loving clue what's going on. I'll dwell on it later though, since I don't want to be all that rude to a girl that both has a crush on me, and doesn't need much of an excuse to start hitting people.

Yeah come to think of it, I'd never seen her in town before. Her being new sort of explains that... "Heh, I've been stuck here my whole life," I reply. Technically not entirely true, since I've traveled widdershins to Faerie at least once every few weeks since I was six - but there's no reason for me to go blabbing about THAT, now is there?

Anyways, she asked about my house. Gotta try and ride the subtle line between bragging about it without seeming like I'm spoiled or bragging. "It's cool, pretty nice - the basement's basically mine, got a TV and a PS4, plus some," I look in both directions cautiously, then pantomime sparking up a bowl, "paraphernalia there." I hope she smokes or at least isn't lame about me smoking, or I'm going to have to try to dance around kicking her out later and it's going to suck.

Speaking of suck, we're suddenly interrupted by the emergence of an onrushing Diana from around the corner, looking out of breath and ranting to herself about being gay. She looks up at the pair of us once she realizes she's not alone and tries to lie about it, but c'mon, it's like she thinks our ears don't work. There's definitely nothing wrong with being any sexuality, but there is something wrong with being ashamed of it - or lying about it. "Oh come on, we're not retarded - we just heard you. You're gay, it's no big deal, get over it."

<Rauri> Shut Down Diana
<MetalForehead> very small
<Axe-man> just need people not afraid to go all darkest self all over someone
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Axe-man> :I
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8-1 = 7
Lets trade conditions, Diana gets Gay as hers.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 1, 2016

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet
XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified, Gay
Get over it?

Get over it!?

"...is that how you live life, Emma. Just do what you want and to hell with the consequences? Like Stacey Laplace?"

I look up, staring Emma in the eye. "...yeah, fine. Maybe I do like a girl. But you know something, being a fuckin lesbian in a religious school isn't exactly scholarship material, Emma. And if I'm booted out of here, I don't have an awesome book writing mother who will accept me, like you do. I don't have a loving awesome house that I can run to, like you do. I don't have people fawning over my every move, like you do. So loving excuse me for dealing with real life poo poo while you're perched in your high and mighty throne. Don't choke on that silver spoon in your mouth!"

Condition for Emma: Elite Bitch

I didn't give her time to respond, before storming off. I was back at the gates, sitting exactly where I was when I waited for Cara earlier. And to think... I was in a good mood this morning. Now, however, everything was flipped topsy turvy, Like Stephanie Meyer took the strings of my life and began to direct me with her over dramatic bullcrap.

It was a miracle that I wasn't crying. Honestly, I felt like crap now. And when Emma said what she said, which honestly was the 'truth'... well the truth hurts.

I remember the evaluator, when he suggested I needed counseling. Me and Emma had a connection... hell, she allowed me to skinny dip in her pool! Way to burn 'another' bridge, Diana Williams. Idiot.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 1, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The basement sounds awesome. For a moment, I wonder what's she doing with her motions near the end and then realize. "Oh! Yeah, cool." Maybe she'd be willing to let me try some? Don't think my parents would have ever tolerated it back home, so I'm kind of interested.

When Diana stumbles over to us, muttering about being a "gay idiot", I'm not sure what to do. My first instinct is to help her up but then Emma insults her. I'd tell her that's uncalled for, but then Diana starts chewing her out and saying she's high and mighty with people fawning over her...is that what I'm doing? No! I glare at her, my fists clenched in anger. So what if I want to hang out with someone cool like Emma? It's not like she knows anything about me! I feel an instinct to knock her down, make her shut up. Instead, while she's still insulting Emma I watch. I watch, and examine with my eyes and nose and ears and all my senses.

Heightened Senses: 2d6-1 8
Asking "What's Diane's secret weakness?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

Two things. Diana needs to get high sooo badly, since she is seemingly in the midst of a major meltdown. I mean, not like we're friends or anything, but I kinda thought what I said was going to help her out - at least, realize she doesn't need to lie (so badly) about being a lesbian. Two, she thinks my life is wayyyy better than it is, and seemingly doesn't know that 'book writers' are called 'authors' by, well, everyone. Plus, I mean, it's not like I'm one of the popular kids here. I'm just not unpopular, and that's probably related to me being chill, and not sprinting around having random temper tantrums like Diana's doing.

Ah well, no sense in getting too worried about it. Diana's stormed off, and now it's just Aparajita and me up against the wall. "That was, uh..." I put my phone away in my coatpocket, having forgotten to do so earlier, then glance over at the girl I've invited over this afternoon. "Haha, kinda an overreaction on her part, I think?" Seriously, I'd even been trying to help, the half of me that wasn't annoyed by how artless her lie was anyways.

Anyways, let's talk about stuff that's more fun. "Yeah though, have you ever," I pantomime hitting a joint, since I'm not so much of an idiot that I'm going to loudly brag about smoking while at school, "before?" From the look on her face, guessing the answer's a no, which causes me to give her a big grin despite the cold and the wind. I love being around when someone pops their weed-cherry, and it looks like I'm going to get that chance today!

"Ohhh fun, don't worry, it'll be really enjoyable, you'll love it." I'm already getting a bunch of good ideas. "We can listen to music you like or just watch TV or some poo poo, maybe games if you'd rather - sometimes people like going on a walk, which is what I'd vote for if it wasn't so drat cold out..." I'm kinda rambling a bit, I get like this sometimes. "Oh! And you can pet my cat too, since it feels so good when you're high." That may have come across as a double-entendre, but it wasn't meant as one. I'm legitimately talking about my cat!

Got a 5 on a Turn On, Faeilure, marking XP.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The hug goes by so quickly that I can barely register it, and but the scent of Diana's perfume lingers. Both are unfamiliar sensations. Scent itself is a surface thing only, let alone decorative scent, and hugs... I believe the last hug I received was from my mother, in a moment of unusual optimism, not long after my fourth birthday. The effect together is disorienting. I simply cannot respond before Diana is gone. The conversation that I half-overhear is heated and complicated; I don't think intervening would be worthwhile, and so instead I try to cast my mind back and think about Stacey Laplace's watch. It had her initials engraved, you know, on the back: SVL. It must have been a gift of value, once. Perhaps it will be again. I do not want to believe it came to me by accident.

Water. I want water for thinking. The closest thing nearby is the glossy, wavy glass of the church windows, and I stare into them -- hoping for a hint of gold, perhaps? Or simply a glint of any kind of memory? Out of the corner of my eye, I see Diana storming away from Emma, no doubt another victim of her cruelty... but I can't attend to that now. I think I see something in the windows...

Gaze into the Abyss about where the watch could be now: 2d6+1 7
Hit me with something confusing and alarming!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 1+1/5 Conditions: Sexually confused

...she's gone.

I know I should follow her, but I'm frozen to the spot like she's still there, trapping me against that wall. What's the point of a fight-or-flight response if I can't move?

I was right, at least.

I wish I could feel smug about that, pat myself on the back for my powers of deduction/intuition/not being completely socially inept but what the gently caress do I do today was not meant to be the day I get my first kiss from a girl of all people, I don't need this, I don't want this... or do I? Somebody just opened up to me, somebody actually wants me and all I can do is stand here like a goddamn ice cube and oh poo poo it's happening again...

I've Seen It Happen: 2d6+1 8
Hit me, MC. I get to veto one option: -They will lose something they hold dear. -Great harm will befall them. -Someone or something they relied on will betray them. Experience for Dark.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Aparajita: You feel the rush of assorted predator-brain subsystems locking into place, like claws grinding against the inside of your head -- but in a good way. A way that lets you smell the adrenaline rushing through Diana's system, the hormonal chaos of her brain, commingling shame and doubt and random aggression... she's unstable and in love; one good push, especially about Hannah -- or from Hannah, it seems -- and she'll lose her goddamn mind.

Emma: Either you need to keep your voice down about weed, or this part of campus has better acoustics than it should, because you can see that someone is giving you a faintly horrified look -- Gregor, a built straightedge guy. Did he seriously not know? He disappears around the corner with a word on his lips. Take the Stoner condition.

Dominic: The glass ripples... foams... you stare up from the aphotic depths. Above you, an image: a swift figure moves through a faceless crowd, the golden watch in one finely clawed hand. In its gold eyes you see something faintly like kindness, but much more like greed; its head darts around, and it looks at the inscription on the back, then begins prying at it with the barbs of its fingers... the image fizzles out.

Hannah: Her fingers are clenched. That's the detail that strikes you first -- her fingers are clenched so hard she's almost left little cuts, little grooves in her palms. She speaks; her voice is raw. A girl you recognize stands across from her -- Cara something. "I wish you didn't have to find out this way," she says. "Really, I do." The chapel bells toll sonorously, just once. Something or someone Diana relies on will betray her.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

So it's Hannah she was worked up about. Maybe she just needs some time to deal with that. I release my fists and focus on talking to Emma. Kind of nervous about making a good impression when we're at her house later on. When she asks if I've ever smoked, I think about telling her yes. But it looks like she was able to tell the truth anyway. "That sounds cool! Uh, I guess music. Or a show might be nice? Depends on the show. Games could be good too. Going for a walk is always good but it is kind of cold I guess. Maybe we'll go with music? Yeah. Music." Oh my god I'm just going on and on. Maybe I should just stop. "I like cats too."

Okay, talk about something else! "Uh...anyway, yeah I guess Diane's just trying to deal with this stuff about Ha-" Wait, there's no normal way I'd actually know that! Oh no oh no! "Or. Uh. Whoever it is. That she was talking about. Uh. So, uh. What kind of music is best? When...?" I start trying to imitate her motions she was making before.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet
Hot: +2 |Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
XP: 2+1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified, Gay
So, sitting in silence is not what it's cracked up to be.

In short, I was hoping Cara would pop up, with the smile she would always have. A hand to my shoulder, sees how moody I was... then we talk. She always had the right thing to say. She always watched out for me. Before Hannah, she may have been the only bright spot of Pale Valley.

Cara was a lot of things. Tardy was not one of them. I don't even remember the last time she missed a Saturday blessing. It just adds to the mystique of her absence... where the hell was she?

I try to look back to the moment she gave me this... the bottle I now took out of my blouse, which hung on a shoe string I borrowed from a neighboring roommate. What was this? Was there something I missed? Some sort of past event that didn't stand out at that moment that was relevent now? I closed my eyes in concentration, trying to think back to last night. To when she gave me the bottle, trying to replay the moment with clarity and detail... what did I miss?

roll posted:

[00:57] <TheJoshie> Gazing into the Dark (+1 Dark)
[00:58] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6+1
[00:58] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 4+1 = 5
[00:58] <TheJoshie> \o/
[00:58] <TheJoshie> And the abyss flips her off!
[00:58] <ShootaBoy> gj

Marking xp

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 Experience 2/5 Conditions: Sexually confused

And breathe. It's like coming up from the bottom of a pool, the sudden rush of awareness, reconnection with the world, but without the unpopped ears or stinging eyes or any kind of physical sensation that might reassure me that this is all totally normal. And self-pity, lots of that, waiting behind the dam in my head marked 'why me?' God, I'm shattered. I need sleep, like any other reasonable human being at 6 whatever on a Saturday. Maybe I can pick a seat that's out of sight and snooze through the sermon, like that's ever worked.

I've got too much to sort through in my head to sleep, though. The stuff with Diana would be confusing enough, even without her pushing the issue like she's obviously intent on doing, but now I've got to think about Cara as well. Betrayal is the word that's ringing in my head as I replay the vision, but selective interpretation's a bitch. Who knows what's going on there? I don't have the slightest clue about their friendship, only that's it's probably a lot stronger than any crush she's got on me, so she's not going to take it well if I break it to her wrong, and for all I know planting that seed of suspicion in her head is what'll drive her to this confrontation...

I hate this.

I've got to try, though, my brain won't let me just sit on stuff like this, and besides, I was always going to talk to her just to sort out this goddamn infatuation so if we could just skip all this bullshit about the illusion of choice that'd be great -

Round the corner, Diana's nowhere to be seen. Dammit. Aparajita and Emma are though, and if I'm not mistaken there's some weird sexual tension type stuff thing going on there too - clearly, the Deaconess needs to step up the repression game. Whatever. I raise a tired hand as I approach them. "Hey. Sorry to interrupt." I probably don't sound very convincing, but I'm not awake enough to be social. "You seen Diana around?"

Gato fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 3, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Elite Bitch, Stoner

Dammit Gregor, you've got a weird name and you're being a nuisance. First Diana's all judgey, and now him. Hope he's not going to tell anyone, but it's not as if I'm going to go sprinting off after him like some spaz, it's too early in the day for something like that anyways. Besides, I'm talking to Aparajita, don't want to be rude to her.

Cool, she likes cats and sounds excited about tonight, both obviously good signs. Also she seemingly trusts my weed-knowledge, asking me about the best type of music while smoking, which like... yeah, she's clearly not lying about not having smoked before. In a wise tone, I start to educate her, "Well, that's totally sub-"

Hannah's suddenly here now too, since it seems that troubles come in threes. She like, threatened me with the teachers the other day and told me to hide my poo poo, but even after I did that, they still confiscated some "jewelry that was against dress code." Even though I wasn't wearing it, and also it wasn't jewelry - it was a gift from a Fae I'd done a favor for, and I still need to get it back. So yeah, thanks for setting me up for that Hannah. She's asking where Diana is, and while I'd like to gently caress with her, the smartest thing to do is just tell her and send her on her merry-narc way immediately.

"She went thataway," I mention while motioning with my hand in the vague direction Diana went in, because like gently caress if I'm going to be that helpful to Hannah. I wanna say something cutting, but it's not worth it, so I turn back to Aparajita and resume our conversation, to let Hannah know she's dismissed. "But yeah, it's totally subjective, we can just listen to whatever - maybe alternate songs, like you pick one, I pick one, my cat picks one, and so on?" Titania has a refined musical taste that I absolutely hate. Who'd know cats love trance and house music so much?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"...Your cat will pick music to listen to? But yeah, sounds good to me." Maybe she means something else? Anyway, Hannah want to know where Diane is but after what I sensed it might be good for her to have some time to relax. I don't know much about Hannah, but she seems...okay I guess? Never really talked to her much. No reason not to help her out anyway. I step towards her and whisper in her ear.

"Hey, I think Diane's upset after...whatever happened between you two so maybe you should let her be for a little while?" I'm leaning in super close to make sure no one overhears.

Turn Hanna On: 2d6+2 7 Includes +1 from Sexually Confused
Self/Promise/String

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Emma's clearly not interested in being friendly, no surprises and no big deal. I don't blame her. "Thanks. Sorry about whatever it is they took, by the way. Not much I can do about that part." I'm guessing jewelry because it's the sort of thing they'd do and it's the sort of thing she might be cut up about, but I'm not going to say it or I'll dig this hole deeper. Yeah, that's a decent self-justification, let's go with that, better than the honest truth which is that I just don't care that much. I turn to go, not waiting for her to say anything else...

... but Aparajita's in my face. Have I got some big glowing sign over my head I can't see saying Personal Space Is Really Not An Issue or something? No half measures for Aparajita, I guess, whether she's punching you or hugging you... and I could really do with a hug right now. It's genuinely an effort not to just slump into her arms and let that reassuring voice keep murmuring in my ear, but that's not who I am. No rest for the wicked.

I stay in close and meet her eyes, not bothering to hide my exhaustion. "Nothing happened between us." Deny deny deny / Is not all the roosters cry. "But yeah. I'll let her go. I'm just at a loose end, I guess." I dredge up a weary smile. "Good luck with Emma, by the way. You know, if you're after a nice surprise for her, you could go get whatever jewelry the teachers took off her the other day, she'd appreciate that." I start to turn away, ready to leave. "If that doesn't seem random coming from... you know, from me."

Giving her what Hannah thinks she wants, help winning over Emma. If that's too meta, she can have a String.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

As the glassy vision clears from my mind, I cast a reflexive glance towards Diana, who seems lost in her own vision. This is still hardly a time to interrupt, is it? But there will be time. I can talk to her about Emma and, perhaps, enlist her help -- or offer an exchange of help. If we can both get out from under her thumb together... well, that would be nice.

A part of me wants to interrupt her anyway, but instead I turn towards the knot of acquaintances, even as I still ponder the vision. What sort of creature was that? There are legends, of course, of creatures like us, kin to humans but not alike, more like hunters... but they would all be surface-things, and thus complete mysteries. This one is certainly not a comforting mystery. Why would it want to open the watch so badly? Do humans store things there? Was Stacey pushed out of the way so a hunting-beast could steal some treasure she held? This is uncomfortably familiar-feeling. I may want to distract myself.

It's hard to distract myself from the concept of theft as I approach Emma, though, and Hannah and Aparajita appear to be speaking to one another. "... Hello," I say to Emma at last, then lower my voice. "... I haven't forgotten. The time just hasn't been right. I need..." Tools? Assistance? "... a plan."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I guess she didn't want anyone else to know about what was going on. Fair enough. "Thanks for the advice," I say with a smile. Then I step back. "Sorry about that Emma, just had to ask Hannah someth-"

I stop. While I've been busy with Hannah, Dominic stepped in and started talking to Emma. I quickly move forward and stop right at Dominic side. "Oh. Hi Dominic." The smile is still on my face, but it's now insincere. I don't like Dominic. There's something he hides about himself, that much I know for sure. And he's been meeting with Emma a lot recently. Not that it's a problem by itself! Just...I wish he wouldn't.

"Emma and I were just talking before I had to ask Hanna something. You need anything?" The words might seem friendly...but I'm eyeing him, smelling him, watching his every movement to see something I could take advantage of. If it came down to that.

Heightened Senses: 2d6-1 8
Asking "Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?" Dominic is the only person she considers an enemy nearby right now.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Diana: You examine the little glass trinket, turning it over in your hands, and think back to -- and the bell tolls the hour, startling you enough that you fumble the bottle. Luckily, it hits soil instead of cobbles or tile; unfortunately, the soil is rock-hard and a little frosty, and the bottle is apparently more fragile than you thought; a few long hairline fractures run through it.

Aparajita: Your senses open up -- Dominic smells like need, like he's craving something... his body language keeps shifting, skittish but still hungry behind it all. And his eyes keep darting to Emma -- but you can't understand his expression when they do. It's almost relatable, in a way; when was the last time you felt a hunger that seemed almost alien, like it came from outside yourself?

Everyone: The church bells toll the hour, and the doors swing open; the pastor, a man who basically only needs a different cap to be a bishop in chess, stands and beckons the crowd inside. His expression is dark and somewhat inattentive.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 6, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Elite Bitch, Stoner

So I guess Hannah and Aparajita have something to talk about? I quirk an eyebrow as she slips off to talk to Hannah, though neither of them is paying me any attention. Guess I'll pull my phone back out, maybe play a game... or not, since Dominic's slowly ambling over, giving me that same look he's had since I found his weird blanket, the one he's absurdly attached to. Sigh. All I want to do is flirt with Aparajita a little bit, plan us getting high tonight - why does everyone insist on bothering me this morning?

He doesn't have a plan as it turns out, but that's OK, I think I've got one. "Morning Dominic," I reply in a similarly quiet voice. "Maybe pull a fire alarm? Or break into the school at night? Don't do both at the same time though, kay?" I grin a little, since it's kinda funny to imagine him doing that. "Mayb-" Aparajita's apparently done talking since she's turning back around, so I shut up real quick, not exactly wanting this little caper Dominic and I are arranging to be all that widely known. Plus it seems she's kinda salty about him being here, maybe they've got beef with one another?

Whatever. Before I can find out more the churchbell tolls, the doors open, and we're once again expected to reenter the crappy chapel. "Oh hooray!" I say just loud enough for Dominic and Aparajita to overhear, so obviously sarcastic it's probably not funny. As we all shuffle into the place, I try to make for one of the back pews, like usual. No sense getting stared at - and if they're talking about the dangers of alcohol and drugs or whatever, there's a chance people are going to look at me, and I'm not exactly going to facilitate that. Plus I just sort of like sitting in the back whenever given the chance, it's always where the cool kids sit, everyone knows that.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

Character Sheet
XP: 3+1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified, Gay
drat that bell!

In my hands was now the noticebly cracked bottle of Cara's and I hope that it wasn't used to carry plants in it like some people did, cause it will be impossible to keep water in it now. I swear, if it wasn't one thing, it was another. drat this day!

In a huff, I stood up and just walked into the Chapel. I was pissed. I was terrified. And I was confused. Honestly, I was ready to get the hell out of this room of conformity and just lay back down in my bed. Maybe curl into a ball and concentrate on ignoring that today never happened.

But that's impossible, isn't it? I still kissed Hannah. I still cracked my best friends bottle of whatever... and I 'still' don't know where the hell she is.

When I sat down at whatever random seat (I don't care enough to have a specific place as my own), I was only focused on one thing: Where was Hannah sitting? It was here that I noticed that I sat right next to Emma. Makes sense that I would sit near the back on auto pilot.

My harsh words washed back over me in a stream of guilt. I should apologize, sure... but ego is a strong thing to overcome. My hands began to play with the hem of my skirt as one of them lifted to brush back a stray hair behind my ear. With the bright light of the Chapel reflecting off my face, making my features, most notably my eyes, nose and glossed lips radiant, I turned to face her, lips parted to take a couple of breaths before starting.

"...look, Emma... what I said outside... about you. I didn't mean that... well, I mean't some of it, but not all of it..." I am horrible at this. I stumble over saying 'I'm sorry'. I'm such a drat idiot. "...I mean... you DO have a cool mom, and a nice house and I just want to say sorry for being a bitch to you. I have a lot on my mind right now. I need help. And advice."

There. Out. You can breathe again, Diana.

roll posted:

[01:25] <TheJoshie> Turning on Emma (+2 Hot, +1 Elite Bitch)
[01:25] <TheJoshie> !r 2d6+3
[01:25] <Krysmbot> TheJoshie, 8+3 = 11
[01:25] <TheJoshie> \o/

Assuming this is a new scene, +1 xp for using Hot.

I shall take a string on Emma.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm not a complete fool, you know. I can see Aparajita's change in body language, and I know what that means -- besides, I'd rather not talk about this in public anyway, I realize. Worrying about it is inevitable, but perhaps I can at least have some privacy.

I disengage from the group with a mumbled "morning" to Aparajita and sit down in a nearby pew, just close enough that I can keep a watch. After all, what if Aparajita decides I'm still too close? I might have to get out of here quickly, service or not. It's not long after I sit down that Diana takes her place, and she and Emma begin to speak again; rather, she speaks breathlessly to Emma.

No, this isn't right. Diana's in her power somehow, as surely as I am. I need to talk to her when we have a moment of privacy, because while I have to dance to Emma's tune, nobody else should have to.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I can see Diana looking around as we file into the chapel, she's only a few paces ahead but it might as well be miles with all the shuffling bodies between us. Looking for me, or Cara? It doesn't matter, I just want to sleep. Any seat will do, so long as it's not in sight of the pulpit. I slide into a pew listlessly, not paying any attention to - why don't we just drop this stupid pretense. I sit in front of Diana, while she's turned around talking to Emma, light shining off her face like the painted saints on the walls, looking entirely too picture perfect, like she knows exactly how to get every head looking her way, or maybe just mine, and - poo poo, I'm doing it again. This is on me, not her. I wanted to go find her, it's only natural I'd go that way, we've got unfinished business. Yeah, let's go with that.

I tilt my head back and let exhaustion wash over me, and when I close my eyes all of this stops mattering, or matters less, it's not important, I just need a few minutes away from the world, like I haven't had enough already.

Nap Fan activates! MC chooses when I wake up, plus the following things: Someone unexpected is nearby. Someone has been trying to contact you. If anyone wants to wake Hannah up, presumably that will fulfill the second condition.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

A hunger? I stare at Dominic as he walks away. Is he like me? I know I've felt similar desires. To...hurt people. To make them obey. To make them stop something. I instinctively for him but he moves out of the way. I follow him into the church, and watch as he sits near Emma and Diane. I quickly step up behind and and grab his hair, pulling his head back and whisper into his ear.

"I don't know what you want from Emma, but you better not try anything. I'll be watching you."

Shut Dominic Down: 2d6 8
Giving Dominic the condition Prey, he gives on to Aparajita

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Elite Bitch, Stoner

Oh my god people, I just want to relax! Being a true Fae must loving suck, since even as half of one I'm still apparently irresistible. Seems Diana's back for round two, and I cross one leg over the other while glancing around to see if anyone would see me give her the finger if / when she freaks out again, but my vision sticks on her and won't move past. She, uh, looks pretty drat hot, though that's also some drat good lighting. Perfect angle, it's like something I'd setup for tech theater.

Seems she's trying to apologize, kinda. At least she manages to say it, but there's some hemming and hawing before it, whatever. Leaning back in the seat, I put my arms along the back of the pew, then rest my head like Hannah's doing. Plus this way I can shut my eyes and not be surprisingly flustered by Diana. "Sure, we're cool. Just don't freak out at me like that again, OK?"

Not going to be able to sleep before service starts up, but I bet I can kinda halfass it while Diana describes her love problems to me. I'll definitely try and stay awake enough to mumble some answers, but I'm tired and its still really early, there's a chance I might manage to actually drift off...

<Rauri> Gaze into the Abyss
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 3+1 = 4
<Rauri> :/
Marking XP at least

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

[b]Hot[/b]: +2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1
XP: 4+1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified, Gay

quote:

"Sure, we're cool. Just don't freak out at me like that again, OK?"

I smiled, my teeth beaming down at Emma. I felt a huge weight lifting from my heart, now that I thought that Emma has forgave me. "Deal! I will not lash out at you again. I promise!"

Two simple words. 'I' and 'Promise'. Little did I know the trouble they would bring me later.

As to right now, I was oblivious. Oblivious to how hot I looked to Emma. Oblivious to how she wanted me to shut the hell up so she could sleep. And especially oblivious that she was partially listening to me, giving the occasional generic answer to make it look as if she was giving thought to my problems. I gave her acceptance as a sign to talk a hole in her head. It was as if 'she' was my substititute Cara.

I gave her the cliff note version of my morning, which was still elaborate, but not quite detailed. I left out Hannah's abilities. That was a secret between me and her. A secret between me and her. Even now, it feels as if a chain is linked to a collar around my neck... a chain attached to Hannah's own collar.

"...blahblahblah, Cara gave me a bottle... blahblahblah, I can't find her... blahblahblahblah, I kissed Hannah... blahblahblahblah, ran away... blahblahblah, dropped the drat bottle and now it's cracked."

My life story over, I nudged Emma with a gentle elbow before leaning in to whisper in her ear so that my voice doesn't get too loud and noticeable. "...so, yeah. That's it. What should I do? How would you... you know... handle things?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified

I hiss reflexively, almost a yelp, and try desperately to resist the urge to rise to my feet and... run? Fight back? Neither is right at the moment. I have as much right to be here as Emma and anyone she... controls.

"You can ask Emma yourself what I want from her," I say, "and I don't want anything more from that. The only thing I'm going to be 'trying' is to do what she wants from me. Now let me go. This..." I exhale and grit my teeth. "This is a place of worship."

I've stayed calm enough for now, I think. If I'm allowed to, I'll at least be able to offer my prayers to the ocean to help give me clarity. She's shaken me badly, but perhaps she at least realizes she doesn't have the power over me that she might like.

Giving Aparajita the condition "Unholy" via the Shut Down condition swap

Hold Steady: 2d6+2 7
Choosing to clear "Prey" and take "Terrified" instead; recorded above, as well as the XP for rolling Cold in a new scene

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1+1/5 | Conditions: Unholy

He's scared - but still defiant. I feel...angry. I want to put him in his place. Make him understand how serious I am. My own voice shaking with rage, I say "I know you're hiding something. You don't have me fooled. You can't hide in here."

I let go of his hair...then shove him directly into the seat in front of him.

Lash Out At Dominic: 2d6+3 5 Includes +1 from Terrified
Marking XP for rolling Volatile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Terrified

I'm shoved back, awkwardly but not painfully, and the terror in my brain hits a sudden sharp spike. I can hunt, but I'm not a fighter, not like this: not in a holy place, and not in a place as simultaneously closed in and bizarrely open, almost too easy to move in. The mixture of tight space and unfamiliar air momentarily disorients me, and while I scramble to get up, my brain can't actually lock onto a way to get out. No open doors, and the currents can't be swum...

Hopeless. Hopeless. She didn't hurt me, at least, but... I have to clear my head, stop the flashes of images of orcas and sharks. I am not her prey.

Run Away from Aparajita: 2d6-1 6
Well, that went well! XP marked for rolling Volatile, at least.

• Locked thread