Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/30/be-very-afraid-hell-has-frozen-over-bash-is-coming-to-windows-10/

“The native availability of a full Ubuntu environment on Windows, without virtualization or emulation, is a milestone that defies convention and a gateway to fascinatingly unfamiliar territory,” Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth said in a statement today. “In our journey to bring free software to the widest possible audience, this is not a moment we could have predicted. Nevertheless we are delighted to stand behind Ubuntu for Windows, committed to addressing the needs of Windows developers exploring Linux in this amazing new way, and excited at the possibilities heralded by this unexpected turn of events.”

:jackbud:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha
finally, the year of Linux on the Windows desktop is upon us

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
does this mean we can have native docker support in windows with this "subsystem"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntHkzMKOLY&hd=1

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
now that bash is on windows will notepad.exe support unix text files?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im glad that they will finally be able to deliver at least 1 good console experiencce again

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

in b4 shagger

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
cd /~

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

canonical admitting that bash is a "full ubuntu environment" i.e. wms and everything else are broken beyond use

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

DOG AT THE DOOR posted:

finally, the year of Linux on the Windows desktop is upon us

hallelujah

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
oh cool it's Cygwin

but worse

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

stallman won

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

oh cool it's Cygwin

but worse

it's probably the windows posix subsystem or something lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Bash my head in with a rock

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

meh. wake me when it has kornshell.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is Ubuntu userland on the windows kernel, so literally no linux anywhere

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

will this make it easier/possible to browse ext3/4 filesystems on windows?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Will they open up the Windows Performance Counters under /proc though? That would be pretty neat.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

quote:

This is a new developer feature included in a Windows 10 "Anniversary" update
Quite the anniversary bash they have going

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Rivethead posted:

meh. wake me when it has kornshell.

serioustalk: the hard part is not bash, but getting any unix shell working on windows. windows literally has none of the features required by a unix shell: very different terminal control, no forking, no process groups, no sessions, no signals, subtly different pipes

the hard hard part is maintenance though. even if it becomes a community project, it will always require a degree of cooperation/support from microsoft to keep making sense in a world where cygwin already exists. all previous attempts failed either because microsoft wanted them to fail (netbsd for example required the unix subsystem to run on windows, which was an optional component and not available in all windows editions), or because nobody wanted them to succeed hard enough (gentoo had a windows port for a while, it could work without the unix subsystem too, but it was just a cool toy nobody cared about)

it will probably be impossible to mix unix and windows code freely and this will spell its death, like with all previous attempts. we'll probably get a linux environment that poorly integrates with the native windows environment and will be best kept separate. probably not, who knows

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Jenny Agutter posted:

will this make it easier/possible to browse ext3/4 filesystems on windows?

I doubt it, you need a kernel mode driver for that, and the driver will be pretty much forced to provide a windows-like view of the filesystem because that's how the filesystem api works. and you need someone to make the driver and maintain it and I don't see microsoft making that commitment (and there are no credible open source filesystem driver developers around, last time I checked)

MrMoo posted:

Will they open up the Windows Performance Counters under /proc though? That would be pretty neat.

I think a sysctl-like interface is a better fit for performance counters. we'll see what they think about it though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
good, bash is way better than cmd

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
bash on windows is going to solve all my pro lems, and get me laid when i show it to the girls at the office

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
but i already have this on win10 through git bash?

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
all my dreams are coming true

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

That's lovely virtualisation

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"we're working with canonical"

lol welp, looks like microsoft winbuntu will come out in 1-2 years

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

My Linux Rig posted:

oh cool it's Cygwin

but worse

there is no way anything can be worse than cygwin

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
ive been using cmder and it is not half bad. I really wish I could just have Iterm2 in windows though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pppppppppppowershell

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

finally, "bash on balls" with windows server

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/

quote:

“Right, so just Ubuntu running in a virtual machine?”
Nope! This isn’t a virtual machine at all. There’s no Linux kernel booting in a VM under a hypervisor. It’s just the Ubuntu user space.

“Ah, okay, so this is Ubuntu in a container then?”
Nope! This isn’t a container either. It’s native Ubuntu binaries running directly in Windows.

“Hum, well it’s like cygwin perhaps?”
Nope! Cygwin includes open source utilities are recompiled from source to run natively in Windows. Here, we’re talking about bit-for-bit, checksum-for-checksum Ubuntu ELF binaries running directly in Windows.

[long pause]

“So maybe something like a Linux emulator?” Now you’re getting warmer! A team of sharp developers at Microsoft has been hard at work adapting some Microsoft research technology to basically perform real time translation of Linux syscalls into Windows OS syscalls. Linux geeks can think of it sort of the inverse of “wine” — Ubuntu binaries running natively in Windows. Microsoft calls it their “Windows Subsystem for Linux”. (No, it’s not open source at this time).

inverse wine. huh

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ubuntu 16.10 weird windows

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
screen doesn't work, whole endeavor useless

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

ubuntu 16.10 weird windows

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

they picked the worst userland. amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some poor rear end in a top hat at Microsoft had to implement signals in the Windows kernel

• Locked thread