Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I need to get back into StH. Lost steam for it when Megaman got the axe cuz Archie shat the financial bed (the Sonic The Fighters arc iirc)

That Archie reboot needed to be a lot more than it was to step out of that shadow.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Because, like. Inheriting a bad situation, not being able to spend money they don't have. That's totally something they can control, right?

I dunno, maybe things would have turned out different if people hadn't forced them to abandon the Kickstarter they really needed. In any case, this thread isn't about Mega Man.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, sorry. That was uncalled for.

Man, that arc was really fun though.

All it was missing was an appearance from unquestionably the best thing from the Sonic X comic (which because Universe if I'm remembering my comics history right) : El Gran Gordo.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Don't die already, thead.

I'm only looking at this again for the first time in ages, but it's like a really well done 3-panel story, and with a gurn.

We are all Eggman here (Sonic X).

Of course, the logical end point was always going to be

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Of course, the logical end point was always going to be

Does Jaleel White still do voice acting?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does Jaleel White still do voice acting?

Some people making one of those lovely live action/CGI fan movies got him to voice Sonic in one a couple of years back.

It was pretty terrible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
preview pics for #280:

I rather like how they're having Chip develop friendships and perspectives from multiple characters instead of just Sonic.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Here's some useless trivia: Michael Gallagher (the first main writer on the comic, doing early issues like this one) is the son of famous cartoonist John Gallagher, nephew of the original Heathcliff guy George Gately, and cousin of the current heathcliff guy (the guy responsible for stuff like "I'm Bad News", the Ham Helmet, and the Garbage Ape) Peter Gallagher

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TFRazorsaw posted:

preview pics for #280:

I rather like how they're having Chip develop friendships and perspectives from multiple characters instead of just Sonic.

I'm so glad this comic has managed to recover from the Pendering. Also that rather than rushing through Unleashed's plot, they decided to take their time and thoroughly use the situation to establish the whole world. Anyone who remembers Megaman's games being compressed to 4 issues will be glad for this.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was finding it odd that they were doing an adaptation of Unleashed nearly eight years after release, but now that you mention it the globe-trotting nature of the game does make for a pretty good excuse toy explore and establish the new world post-reboot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Veotax posted:

I was finding it odd that they were doing an adaptation of Unleashed nearly eight years after release, but now that you mention it the globe-trotting nature of the game does make for a pretty good excuse toy explore and establish the new world post-reboot.

Take it as an example of them using the fact they hadn't covered the games plot to have a nice basis for globe trotting, of course I laugh at how Ian got out of writing 06 "It happened, but then it wrote itself out of existence, so it didn't happen."

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So I assume humans live on the surface now instead of in underground bunkers, right? Also, is the planet still called Mobius?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The planet seems to be unnamed, it's just generically referred to as "Sonic's world".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hexmage-SA posted:

So I assume humans live on the surface now instead of in underground bunkers, right? Also, is the planet still called Mobius?

World's just Sonic's World. Underground thing entirely scrapped. Because it was dumb.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

I'm so glad this comic has managed to recover from the Pendering. Also that rather than rushing through Unleashed's plot, they decided to take their time and thoroughly use the situation to establish the whole world. Anyone who remembers Megaman's games being compressed to 4 issues will be glad for this.

I remember between Flynn taking over and issue 200 or so, all the stories were pretty short - not really more than three parts - then the Iron Dominion story arc was pretty long (though, granted, by that time he had Sonic Universe to work with as well, so maybe it just felt larger). I wonder if that was mandated or if it was a personal decision on his part. It can have its drawbacks but it's much more appropriate for a children's comic than sprawling multi-year would-be epics stretching across three different titles.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember between Flynn taking over and issue 200 or so, all the stories were pretty short - not really more than three parts - then the Iron Dominion story arc was pretty long (though, granted, by that time he had Sonic Universe to work with as well, so maybe it just felt larger). I wonder if that was mandated or if it was a personal decision on his part. It can have its drawbacks but it's much more appropriate for a children's comic than sprawling multi-year would-be epics stretching across three different titles.

Archie has a bad habit of "Writing for Trades" So everything must be done in 4 issues. So you can sell the trade paper back version for more dosh. This led to poo poo being pretty heavily cut down for Megaman where most Robot masters lasted about a page (the other point is that they were trying to rush through to the modern day) until Megaman 3/Ra Moon which got to have some cool development.

The problem is that while it is good to have your short and contained stories (Sonic Universe is great for that) it can hurt when you know everything needs to be done so quickly and wrapped up. Sonic Genesis also had that problem, most Zones got about... a page or two?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Is doing an Unleashed adaptation eight years later less or more weird than doing a Fighters adaptation twenty years later and then sticking it inside said Unleashed adaptation?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That is pretty weird, but then they canonized Honey the Cat which is amazing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Well, Homey had already been canonized by the digital rerelease, but... Yeah. It is pretty cool.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They canonised AoSTH (beyond Scratch Grounder and Coconuts) of all things and have made several Jojo's Bizarre Adventure references.

Welcome to this crazy Time.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 10, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
well, they used characters from it?

I mean, Breezie isn't a robot and Von Schlemmer is from the future.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

The latter I'll give you but I thought they made a thing about the former was ambiguous.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 10, 2016

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
The thing I think I find most interesting is that roboticization seems to have fallen into disuse. Has Ian Flynn went on record about that? Is "Eggman turns people into robots without free will" too dark for the comics now that they're hewing closer to the games?

I haven't even read the comics in at least 10 years, but it's history and the creative decisions made with it are very interesting. Sega made the Sonic games and many wildly different interpretations of those games in various media (including Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic the Comic, the Sonic OVA, Sonic X, Sonic Boom), and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog has absorbed aspects of most of them (especially SatAM) while also simultaneously making itself unique as it evolved from episodic Archie-style comedy to a long-running (sometimes melodramatic) adventure serial. Then you take into account how they added material for later games while also altering things to make sense in their established setting (such as making Station Square into a hidden underground city whose entrance is hidden in rubble based on Sonic's kickass base from the Sonic OVA) as well as a legal debacle leading to an in-universe reboot and you've got something very unique.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, they used characters from it?

The flashbacks to Breezie's backstory suggest AoStH basically happened, though, at least in some form, which is actually a thing I really like about the comic's continuity post-reboot. We're kind of in this nebulous space where almost every official Sonic thing (except 06, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess we won't be seeing a ton of Sonic Underground) is potentially kinda-sorta canon, but only to the point where it makes sense for the universe. You get to have some fun connecting the dots between all these weird largely-incompatible offshoots Sonic's had over the years (I think the way the Fighters arc ties AoStH and Sonic Heroes together is genuinely clever) but you don't actually have to worry about things like whether Breezie is a robot because the continuity's loose enough that you can just say "well AoStH basically happened but it could've happened a little bit differently and that's fine"

Hexmage-SA posted:

The thing I think I find most interesting is that roboticization seems to have fallen into disuse. Has Ian Flynn went on record about that? Is "Eggman turns people into robots without free will" too dark for the comics now that they're hewing closer to the games?

I don't know if Flynn has said anything about that directly, but Eggman has a few lines post-reboot about how having independent underlings makes things more interesting and has certain advantages over relying entirely on robots. Out-of-universe I'd have to guess Flynn just thought he could tell a more interesting story by introducing the Egg Bosses and their more complicated motivations and internal politics.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Roboticization is part of the new canon, but we don't know fully how it works yet. Charles still invented it and Eggman uses it as a means of intimidating his Egg Bosses, but that's about it.

Eggman did it to Sonic in "Worlds Unite", as you may recall.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I'm amazed that the comic book I started reading at 8 years old is still going strong (and with it's original numbering!) :allears: The Archie sonic comics have a nostalgic place in my heart, Penders and all.

Quick question: what Sonic Universe arc had Amy, Cream, Bean & Bark on a pirate adventure? I've been meaning to pick up that volume?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That would be Pirate Plunder Panic, first post Worlds Collide/reboot SU arc.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
The new issue of the main book is out:

- The main story follows the beats of Unleashed with Chip regaining his memories, though given characters have known what he is from the start, it's a bit less angsty than it is in the game. The glowing orb of light he talks to calls itself "the first spark of light" and mentions something called "the chaos titans", which is new and probably gonna be important later.

- The next chapter is Sally and Rotor getting caught up in a key guardian's anniversary party for their mother. Honey shows up, and Sally makes a deal with her that promises her she'll let Honey design for her entire coronation... "whenever that happens." Sally and Rotor end up reminiscing about their mothers; both have died, with Rotor having been at his mom's bedside when she passed. Man, Rotor's childhood is just AWFUL in this continuity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mind Roter not having a fun time of it ether side of the reboot. Wasn't one of Pender's boners trying to make him gay over Sega's helmet or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
No, everyone knew about it, aside from later creative teams. SEGA just told him to not make it explicit that this was the case so all it ever was was subtext.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What happened to the Mega Man book? Did it get a finale?

What obscure characters HASN'T Flynn gotten in yet? The Underground hedgehogs?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Little Mac posted:

What happened to the Mega Man book? Did it get a finale?

What obscure characters HASN'T Flynn gotten in yet? The Underground hedgehogs?

Discussion for the Mega Man book is more suited to the general Archie comic thread.

And there's a fair bit of characters he hasn't used at least, particularly from AOSTH. There's also a fair bit from SEGA he can't use, like Eggman Nega, Metal Sonic 3.0, and Tiara Boobowski.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

What's the story with Eggman Nega, anyway? Is it just Sega going "actually on second thought we don't want a second Eggman muddying the waters"?

e: also what's with blaze the fire cat with her fire emeralds and fire transformation living in waterworld, isn't that weird, am i the only one who thinks that's weird

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 15, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Nega is off limits because his backstory is too drat confusing even in the games due to being used differently in Rush AND the Rivals series and SEGA doesn't want him to be used.

Blaze, on her own, isn't... Confusing at all? Like. Fire and sun myths are common in island areas.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Blaze, on her own, isn't... Confusing at all? Like. Fire and sun myths are common in island areas.

I was mostly being facetious there. Really I was just thinking about Sonic Rush and it occurred to me that based on the first game I never in a million years would have thought Blaze came from some kind of Wind Waker ocean world full of pirates, and it feels kind of weird that she does. Granted not as weird as the idea that she actually comes from the future but hey.

(It may be worth nothing I never played Sonic Rush Adventure even though I liked the first Rush a lot.)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 15, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Discussion for the Mega Man book is more suited to the general Archie comic thread.

And there's a fair bit of characters he hasn't used at least, particularly from AOSTH. There's also a fair bit from SEGA he can't use, like Eggman Nega, Metal Sonic 3.0, and Tiara Boobowski.

I think the underground characters are off limits too if that whole mess with universe #50 is anything to go by

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Hexmage-SA posted:

I haven't even read the comics in at least 10 years, but it's history and the creative decisions made with it are very interesting. Sega made the Sonic games and many wildly different interpretations of those games in various media (including Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic the Comic, the Sonic OVA, Sonic X, Sonic Boom), and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog has absorbed aspects of most of them (especially SatAM) while also simultaneously making itself unique as it evolved from episodic Archie-style comedy to a long-running (sometimes melodramatic) adventure serial. Then you take into account how they added material for later games while also altering things to make sense in their established setting (such as making Station Square into a hidden underground city whose entrance is hidden in rubble based on Sonic's kickass base from the Sonic OVA) as well as a legal debacle leading to an in-universe reboot and you've got something very unique.

Same here. The whole Kenders debacle was interesting, but I always knew and love the old freedom fighters & Robotnick setup, so it's a bummer seeing it all done away with. Even if the story started getting a little thick with schlock.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
is Kneecapeon Mace the Echidna still around

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dordreff posted:

is Kneecapeon Mace the Echidna still around

Nope.

Wicker Man posted:

Same here. The whole Kenders debacle was interesting, but I always knew and love the old freedom fighters & Robotnick setup, so it's a bummer seeing it all done away with. Even if the story started getting a little thick with schlock.

Started?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
New Sonic Universe is out. Anyone wanna discuss it?

Eggman's still plenty creepy. I liked what we learned about the new Egg Bosses. Tundra, aka Rotor's dad seems rather interesting the more we learn about him.

• Locked thread