Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
What I want to know is who the gently caress is buying comics about Archie and Betty and Veronica in TYOOL 2017?

C'mon Archie, you finally get the Sonic comics right, and now you're dropping it? Really? You force-fed my generation a bunch of furrybait drama diarrhea and when you finally, finally fix the mistake and give a new generation of kids a comic they can read and enjoy, you pull this?

I can't help but think Donald Trump is behind it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

if the license is being pulled like people are suspecting, it's not really their choice

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

also Sonic Universe 95 is pushed forwards two weeks (to when Sonic 292 was scheduled) while Sonic 291has been pushed to march

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, that's certainly weird

need to wait and see I guess

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
They settle the Scott Fulop poo poo in a month. What I find funny from all this is Penders thinks that Sega is going to give him Sonic after taking it from Archie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

What I want to know is who the gently caress is buying comics about Archie and Betty and Veronica in TYOOL 2017?

C'mon Archie, you finally get the Sonic comics right, and now you're dropping it? Really? You force-fed my generation a bunch of furrybait drama diarrhea and when you finally, finally fix the mistake and give a new generation of kids a comic they can read and enjoy, you pull this?

...I get being upset, but blaming the publisher for focusing on the titles they're named after and actually own the IP for? Also, Archie and Jughead are really good right now. (B&V is just OK, and Josie is pretty good)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Also I think you vastly underestimate what kind of market presence you get when you-and only you-sell your comic books in grocery stores across the country.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

The new Archie series is really, really good, Mark Waid wrote for it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TFRazorsaw posted:

if the license is being pulled like people are suspecting, it's not really their choice

So it's Sega's fault? Those chucklefucks really know how to make good decisions, don't they?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

So it's Sega's fault? Those chucklefucks really know how to make good decisions, don't they?

Leaving the license to your biggest character in the hands of a somewhat-weak company who so badly mismanaged it they got sued by a writer who wrote Knuckles fanfiction honestly isn't a particularly good decision even if they're gotten better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm waiting for DC to announce that they're adding Sonic and Knuckles to Captain Carrot's Amazing Zoo Crew.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I just came to a realization: Penders was going for something specific with the echidna spam this whole time.

I honestly think the man just really, really wants to be Don Rosa.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 21, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

I honestly think the man just really, really wants to be Don Rosa.

Nah, because Don Rosa's work is almost single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Carl Barks, but Ken Penders's work is single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Ken Penders. :v:

Also, I've never seen that version of the family tree before; the only ones I've seen haven't had Ludwig Von Drake and the picture of the nephews' father has always been obscured by branches. :confused:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, because Don Rosa's work is almost single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Carl Barks, but Ken Penders's work is single-mindedly devoted to the ideas of Ken Penders. :v:

Also, I've never seen that version of the family tree before; the only ones I've seen haven't had Ludwig Von Drake and the picture of the nephews' father has always been obscured by branches. :confused:

It's more recent, and yeah I'm not saying the two are the same(I mean, Rosa won an Eisner), but it explains a hell of a lot about Penders' approach to things, down to the crappy family tree chart.

edit: was Penders responsible for Knuckles getting a child half-brother with a dopey name?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He wanted to name him Mace.

It was Bollers who wanted to call him "Kneecaps" based on Knuckles' dumb as hell name.

They were forced to compromise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kneecaps was still the better option.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

"Knucles, you have to take care of your triplet half siglings, Mace-cey, Da-Cey and La-Key-La. First, though, a flashback sequence detailing your great-uncle's life for three issues"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

They were forced to compromise.

"Kneecapeon-Mace". :cripes:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If I remember right, it was less "compromise", and more Penders and Boller being told to compromise, Penders saying "gently caress that", going to press first with him named "Mace" in his little "Mobius 20 Years Later" story, and then Bollers whipping in from behind and using the present-day story to flat out say "The kid's name is Kneecapeon-Mace, and I come first in the timeline, gently caress you douchebag."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I find it hard to fault Bollers a lot of the time when I hear about his fights with Penders.

He seemed to at least give something approaching a gently caress about the game cast.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I find it hard to fault Bollers a lot of the time when I hear about his fights with Penders.

He seemed to at least give something approaching a gently caress about the game cast.

Bollers wound up doing an interview of what he kinda wanted to get done for his "One Year After Sonic Returns" which was... alrightish. His problem was always being overly verbose and decompressed.

http://archive.sonichq.net/newsite/comics/kbsonicoverview.php

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah the Ludwig Von Duck addition is new to me too. I've seen a bunch of different versions from around the world with different images of the triplets' dad however. It's a shame Barks never got around to revealing him. Apparently there was some big conceptualized unfinished story he made some sketches for where the ducks go on an adventure in Tibet, and the boys were going to learn some big secret about their missing parents they almost never mention, but Barks never revealed what that was going to be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah the Ludwig Von Duck addition is new to me too. I've seen a bunch of different versions from around the world with different images of the triplets' dad however. It's a shame Barks never got around to revealing him. Apparently there was some big conceptualized unfinished story he made some sketches for where the ducks go on an adventure in Tibet, and the boys were going to learn some big secret about their missing parents they almost never mention, but Barks never revealed what that was going to be.

Nothing so developed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, haven't seen those extra "notable character" sidebars before either (just the one with Daisy and her nieces). Strange seeing Don Rosa drawings of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy et al.

Good grief, I never realised before, if Scrooge's grandmother's maiden name was "Mallard" does that mean he's distantly related to Darkwing Duck? :D

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

NOT CANCELLED

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Oh my god, that loving SegaSonic cover. If they actually are doing a story adapting that drat game, they better get the Ring Bonus faces in there somehow. Those faces are just really good.

I may be picking up an issue of Sonic (that isn't part of a crossover) for the first time in ages.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

NOT CANCELLED

Archie April 2017 solicits posted:

"Memories": Sonic reminisces with his buddies Mighty and Ray, but Sonic and Mighty disagree on how they met. Can their friendship survive their egos’ revisions? Then in “Baking Bad,” Bunnie and Antoine put their competitive cooking skills to the test! Featuring cover art by Tyson Hesse and a “Kooky Kitchen variant" by Jennifer Hernandez!

Script: Ian Flynn and Aleah Baker

Art: Tracy Yardley, Terry Austin, Gabriel Cassata and John Workman

Sonic the Hedgehog #294 CVR A Reg: Tyson Hesse

Sonic the Hedgehog #294 CVR B Variant: Jennifer Hernandez, Gary Martin &

Matt Herms

Ship Date: 4/12

On Sale Date: 4/26

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

"Freedom Fighters" Part Three: Amy Rose and Cream join Sally Acorn as they seek the components needed to repair Nicole’s systems, but during their quest an old adversary reemerges! Featuring cover art by Jamal Peppers and a "Sonic and the Freedom Fighters variant" by Tyson Hesse!
Script: Ian Flynn

Art: Adam Bryce Thomas, Jim Amash, Matt Herms and Jack Morelli

Sonic Universe #97 CVR A Reg: Jamal Peppers, Jim Amash & Matt Herms

Sonic Universe #97 CVR B Variant: Tyson Hesse

Ship Date: 3/29

On Sale Date: 4/12

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, so I just got around to reading the Sonic comics I got in the Humble Bundle and now that I'm almost-but-not-quite caught up, I need to say this: as a lifelong sonic fan, these comics are everything I've dreamed of and more. The art is great, the characters are great, the writing is great, the staff's love of the series and understanding of the perfectly imperfect, beautifully strange franchise that is Sonic is amazing. I already ordered some more comics off of Archie's website and plan to subscribe to the comics at my local comic shop.

Also I really like a lot of the original designs and redesigns. Breezie looks like a Sonic character and not a weird halfassed attempt at a sexy furry. I love how in the flashbacks Sonic has his genesis-era design. Ray the Squirrel, a character who prior to the comics I didn't give a poo poo about, is a precious boy who I love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has Ian mentioned why he's made Mighty and Ray such big characters? They certainly seem like they've been given a bit of a boost relative to how obscure they are compared to some other characters (Mighty less so, since he always seems to end up folded into the Chaotix Crew: see also Sonic the Comic).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ian uses everything.

I mean this past year we had an arc involving a character based on Wendy frikkin Witchcart.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/830927711086342146

:shittypop:

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Has there been any news yet on when the last issue of Mega Drive is supposed to come out?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

there's no news on anything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Solicits for Megadrive have been taken down, it is worrying.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/04/more-on-the-cancelled-comic-issues-archie-to-provide-update-to-subscribers/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well I hope for good news. I like this comic and this is an awkward spot to end it on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:rip:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I lost a friend today. We parted ways for a while, reconnected almost a decade later, but once again it's time to say goodbye.

Goodbye, Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al. You...you meant so much to me.:smith:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

who is that guy and is he reliable?

• Locked thread