Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I originally had a longer post here talking about my history with the Sonic comics (read them as a kid until #125) and why the post reboot continuity interests me, but my web browser crashed and I lost about 20 minutes of text so I'm just gonna skip to weird poo poo from the comics pre-reboot:

- "Zone" seemed to be used interchangeably to refer to geographic regions, pocket dimensions and entire parallel universes. Few stories explicitly took place in zones, though one special issue depicted Robotnik in an "unfinished" zone that appeared as a white void with a small section of terrain reminiscent of the games.
- One early issue established a Cosmic Interstate linking many zones (parallel universe variety) together. Entering and travelling along the Cosmic Interstate appeared to be surprisingly easy, allowing Sonic to round up 1000 parallel universe versions of himself. Eventually a group of Zone Cops led by Zonic the Hedgehog appeared to attempt to regulate travel between the zones, but eventually the whole concept seemed to be abandoned.
- Robotnik died in issue 50 and was later replaced in issue 75 by Robo-Robotnik, a completely roboticized version from another zone. It is this version of Robotnik that assumed the Sonic Adventure redesign of the character.
- Originally, Mobius seemed to be inhabited mostly by humanoid animals called "Mobians". It was later revealed that Robotnik was an exiled member of the human-like Overlander race, which had fought the Mobians in a war (which was seriously started after the young son of the Mobian ruler died taking a bullet to save an ordinary, presumably unintelligent bird from his Overlander friend's gun).
- Sonic Adventure established that modern human civilization is the norm in the world of the Sonic games, which clashed horribly with the setting established in the comics. To reconcile this massive discrepancy, Station Square was made into a secret, underground city of humans (explicitly not Overlanders) with a false holographic sky. The Archie comics had also already sealed another villain named Mammoth Mogul into the Master Emerald before Sonic Adventure established that Chaos was inside the Master Emerald (it must have been getting crowded in there).
- Mobius was revealed around issue 125 to be Earth 1000 years in the future after alien squids called the Xorda attempted to destroy the human species with "gene bombs", which instead mutated most humans into the more war-like Overlanders and transformed many kinds of animals into Mobians. This is
- Eventually roboticization was reversed...by more aliens. An alien scientist showed up to return all roboticized individuals to flesh and blood and make them immune to being roboticized again, including Robotnik (I mean Eggman, I guess). This led to roboticization being replaced with cyborg augmentation (which apparently is still the case in the post-reboot continuity for some reason).

That's as far as I recall reading myself, but I've seen elsewhere details about later plot developments introducing "techromancy", Robotnik's younger female cousin, and an AI named A.D.A.M. that possessed the roboticized body of some random C-lister to absorb every Chaos Emerald in the universe.

And now a special Knuckles sub-section:
- Knuckles started out as the last of the echidnas, although he was raised by his father Locke (who mysteriously disappeared). Focus increasingly began to shift to Knuckles and the backstory of echidna kind, who in the original continuity were an advanced society who raised their capital city into the sky by creating the Master Emerald to escape a meteor. The echidna scientist who did this absorbed energy from the Chaos Emeralds and became Knuckles' first nemesis, Enerjak.
- Later an army of cyborg echidnas called The Dark Legion appeared, followed soon after by an entire city of echidnas returned to the island by the aftermath of a haywire weapon used by the original Robotnik before his death. Not only was Knuckles no longer the last of the echidnas, but there were also more individual characters of the echidna race than any other Mobian species.
- Turns out Knuckles dad was trying to make sure his son was the ultimate guardian of the Chaos Emeralds by mutating Knuckles before he hatched (echidnas lay eggs), taking him away from Echinopolis to be raised as the supposed "last of the echidnas" before ditching Knuckles and returning to Echinopolis (and to his wife, the mother Knuckles might never have met if it weren't for Robotnik's actions).
- Knuckles at one point becomes one with the power of the Chaos Emeralds, turning green and gaining ridiculously overpowered mutant abilities (which are best put to use ending a particularly bad crossover with Image comics in which Sonic and friends meet Spawn and the Savage Dragon).
- Knuckles also gets a girlfriend in Julie-Su, a former member of the Dark Legion. I remember nothing else about her except that she had cybernetic dreads.
- Thankfully, it appears that post-reboot none of this is canon.

Oh, one more thing!
- Tails' uncle was a wizard. Named Merlin.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So I assume humans live on the surface now instead of in underground bunkers, right? Also, is the planet still called Mobius?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
The thing I think I find most interesting is that roboticization seems to have fallen into disuse. Has Ian Flynn went on record about that? Is "Eggman turns people into robots without free will" too dark for the comics now that they're hewing closer to the games?

I haven't even read the comics in at least 10 years, but it's history and the creative decisions made with it are very interesting. Sega made the Sonic games and many wildly different interpretations of those games in various media (including Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic the Comic, the Sonic OVA, Sonic X, Sonic Boom), and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog has absorbed aspects of most of them (especially SatAM) while also simultaneously making itself unique as it evolved from episodic Archie-style comedy to a long-running (sometimes melodramatic) adventure serial. Then you take into account how they added material for later games while also altering things to make sense in their established setting (such as making Station Square into a hidden underground city whose entrance is hidden in rubble based on Sonic's kickass base from the Sonic OVA) as well as a legal debacle leading to an in-universe reboot and you've got something very unique.

• Locked thread