Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Here's some useless trivia: Michael Gallagher (the first main writer on the comic, doing early issues like this one) is the son of famous cartoonist John Gallagher, nephew of the original Heathcliff guy George Gately, and cousin of the current heathcliff guy (the guy responsible for stuff like "I'm Bad News", the Ham Helmet, and the Garbage Ape) Peter Gallagher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Finally decided to start reading the comics again post reboot. Really fun (also there's been new issues out since this thread was last bumped)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

no

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So howabout Genesis of a Hero and The Case of the Pirate Princess? I've been enjoying both so far

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

crosses fingers that they're finally gonna let the comic use Eggman Nega

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 20, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey, so I recently read through the Silver Saga arc of Sonic Universe, and was surprised to see the alternate universe be based on Other-M, Ian's old fan comic. It made me think, has anyone else on this board read Other-M? Did Ian say what his plans were for the comic?

I just looked it up and holy poo poo I know what I'm posting in the bad webcomics thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay I'm trying to tell some uninitiated folks about how utterly nuts Ken Penders' run was, but I can't find the best version of the pic with like a hundred different Knuckles clones (the one that had them labeled as like, "cyber Knuckles," "Knuckles with one eye," "purple Knuckles," etc) and I can't find the page of Tails turning into some horrifying muscle-beast at all. Does anyone have those handy?

To be fair Titan Tails was Romy Chacon (who was former editor JG Gabrie under a pen name), not Penders

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New issue came out yesterday, I'd say the arc was good. Aleah Baker should write more.

Also the 2017 FCBD issue got cancelled in favor of a Riverdale tie-in. At least is was just going to be a reprint 288 (Genesis of a Hero part 1), so :shrug:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

also Sonic Universe 95 is pushed forwards two weeks (to when Sonic 292 was scheduled) while Sonic 291has been pushed to march

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

NOT CANCELLED

Archie April 2017 solicits posted:

"Memories": Sonic reminisces with his buddies Mighty and Ray, but Sonic and Mighty disagree on how they met. Can their friendship survive their egos’ revisions? Then in “Baking Bad,” Bunnie and Antoine put their competitive cooking skills to the test! Featuring cover art by Tyson Hesse and a “Kooky Kitchen variant" by Jennifer Hernandez!

Script: Ian Flynn and Aleah Baker

Art: Tracy Yardley, Terry Austin, Gabriel Cassata and John Workman

Sonic the Hedgehog #294 CVR A Reg: Tyson Hesse

Sonic the Hedgehog #294 CVR B Variant: Jennifer Hernandez, Gary Martin &

Matt Herms

Ship Date: 4/12

On Sale Date: 4/26

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

"Freedom Fighters" Part Three: Amy Rose and Cream join Sally Acorn as they seek the components needed to repair Nicole’s systems, but during their quest an old adversary reemerges! Featuring cover art by Jamal Peppers and a "Sonic and the Freedom Fighters variant" by Tyson Hesse!
Script: Ian Flynn

Art: Adam Bryce Thomas, Jim Amash, Matt Herms and Jack Morelli

Sonic Universe #97 CVR A Reg: Jamal Peppers, Jim Amash & Matt Herms

Sonic Universe #97 CVR B Variant: Tyson Hesse

Ship Date: 3/29

On Sale Date: 4/12

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/830927711086342146

:shittypop:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Comic's still dead for now, but in related news, Ian Flynn and artist Adam Bryce Thomas are working on a new upcoming comic together called Drogune

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

and it's probably what actually killed the comic

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Ken Penders Really Can't Hurt You Anymore

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

they say that if you say "Kenneth Penders Jr." in the mirror three times while in a darkened bathroom he crawls out of your toilet and sues you

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Karl always struck me as the guy who was doing his best to tell the best story he could with the tools he was given, and having to do so under the worst conditions imaginable.

And the Dingoes were always a Nazi allegory. Their position as basically being punished to live in the shadows of the echidnas mirrors Germany's after WW2, and they always wore military uniforms and did the loving salutes and everything.

Penders wanted them to be sympathetic.

yet there's also some weird racial implications behind one of knuckle's ancestors claiming the Dingoes couldn't innovate and the fact that the Dark Legion were also a Nazi allegory in one of the knuckles book arcs

Ken's a man of mixed messages

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Dylan's a porcupine

also to be fair about Arlo, Knuckle's Chaotix wasn't released yet, and Penders didn't find out about SegaSonic until later

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

CowboyAndy posted:

I'm afraid to ask what Penders personally wanted. :(

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Yeah, they killed him off for a while then brought him back later as a version of himself from an alternate timeline. It was all needlessly complicated in my opinion and I'm not sure why they even bothered unless they thought that the Endgame arc was going to be the actual end of the comic at the time.

That was indeed the case

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Penders didn't write the Robo-Robotnik stuff prior to #75. That was Karl Bollers.

All Penders did was claim copyright over that version of the character because he wrote the original stories Bollers capitalized on for that arc. It's less pride and more him being a greedy rear end in a top hat.

Bollers also wrote 75 itself.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Actually his middle name's Maurice. Despite belief, this wasn't something Penders thought of, but was rather from a gag from one of the early Mike Gallagher issues ("Danger's my middle name! Actually it's Maurice but don't tell anyone"). Penders was guilty of trying to make it a thing and coming up with a true first name that never actually showed up in the comic proper: Oglive

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MrFlibble posted:

It was produced by Fleetway and called Sonic the Comic, and its what we had in the UK.

It was really cool, although it had inconsistent art.

The UK OC freedom fighters were a pig and a rabbit and we only had one non-knuckles echidna, but he was way cooler than whatever dudes were in Archie.

Fleetway's backstory originates from a non-archie american tie in comic that was bundled in with a bunch of different comics and magazines

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

I remember what IDW did to Megaman

:confused:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

There was an IDW Megaman comic about a decade ago that had Megaman flying around like Astroboy and living life as a pretend-human teenager. It was awful -- even Spaz's art couldn't save it.

That's the Dreamwave comic

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Plom Bar posted:

Does "shipping weekly" mean there'll be a new issue every week? I'm not up on the lingo.

April will have 4 issues released weekly: the comic switches back to monthly with issue 5 in May

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's nice to see that ABT and Evan are among the returning artists and Herms is on colors: I hope Skelly comes back too

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Zoboomafoo's Revenge"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Since they released an early convention version of issue 1, there have been screenshots of the first issue circulating: it looks good

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian mentioned on the Bumblekast (his podcast) that the Ken Penders incident wasn't the reason why the books got cancelled (though he added it didn't help)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New Thread
New Style
Same Diva-isnous

• Locked thread