Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Megaspel posted:

Boy that sounds pretty rad. Hope we see some crazy hallucination stuff as his brain dies if this is the last season.

Its been renewed through to season 10 (albeit with short seasons) and IIRC the creator has said he wants to end it there. So my guess is that at the end of the season (or possibly at the end of the next) archer wakes up due to Kriegers meddling in gods domain. Then at the very end of season 10 there will be something which ambiguously hints that he might actually still be dying in swimming pool after all, or that the electric shocks in S1E1 have made him hallucinate everything since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

SiKboy posted:

Its been renewed through to season 10 (albeit with short seasons) and IIRC the creator has said he wants to end it there. So my guess is that at the end of the season (or possibly at the end of the next) archer wakes up due to Kriegers meddling in gods domain. Then at the very end of season 10 there will be something which ambiguously hints that he might actually still be dying in swimming pool after all, or that the electric shocks in S1E1 have made him hallucinate everything since then.

I suppose they could always still have it all set in his head for 3 seasons, with that framing device they can do any genre or whatever they like. Would be quite freaky and cool to see his brain slowly shut down and freak out over 3 seasons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"slang for detective so not an insult!!" - oh, Archer. I've missed you.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

do you guys want a new thread for season 8? I could just spruce up the OP some and request for a title change

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Megaspel posted:

if this is the last season.

It's not. This is the first of 3 remaining 8 episode seasons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo that's Woodhouse.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy poo poo that's Woodhouse.

Where? I saw the character Jeffrey Tambor voices but not Woodhouse

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

JD posted:

Where? I saw the character Jeffrey Tambor voices but not Woodhouse

0:23 in, Woodhouse is the corpse.

Edit: I mean the first video, with the garbage non-YouTube player.

Also in the last video 5 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdkRdzmMiE

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 17, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rewatching season 2 and I convinced Lana was funnier and now Lana's gags are like, the same format as her good lines from the early seasons, but just not written nearly as clever or with as much zip. Maybe as later seasons shifted focus to B team, they had to split the jokes up more evenly, but I think Lana was definitely more of a cut-up and less of just an INCESSANT nag. Cyril likewise... I just hate him in S1-2, it's only really the Cheryl sex Arc that stops him from being actively bad for the show.

SIGH how far we've come.

Also there being people in the background of ISIS is super weird but highlights how these people have fallen into the classic trope of "They spend so much time with each other that it's weird when other people are around them". there were a lot more people in the office, but i think the writers realized they added nothing, so its just cheaper for animation and writing staff to slim the cast down in the later seasons to just the ISIS crew.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The random ISIS drones pop up a bunch, the control room guy with the mustache reappears as a guy sleeping on a bench in Archer Vice.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

0:23 in, Woodhouse is the corpse.

:gbsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Rewatching season 2 and I convinced Lana was funnier and now Lana's gags are like, the same format as her good lines from the early seasons, but just not written nearly as clever or with as much zip. Maybe as later seasons shifted focus to B team, they had to split the jokes up more evenly, but I think Lana was definitely more of a cut-up and less of just an INCESSANT nag. Cyril likewise... I just hate him in S1-2, it's only really the Cheryl sex Arc that stops him from being actively bad for the show.

Eh, she's the straight woman who allows others to be funny. She often winds up on exposition duty too.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
<<< Me watching the new trailer

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Megaspel posted:

I suppose they could always still have it all set in his head for 3 seasons, with that framing device they can do any genre or whatever they like. Would be quite freaky and cool to see his brain slowly shut down and freak out over 3 seasons.

I kind of feel like that would be more depressing than anything else. It would be one thing to end the show with "He dead", but another to watch the main character slowly die over three seasons. I mean, technically they dont have to worry about bumming people out and losing viewers because they are already renewed, but I really think this will be "one series in his head, then he wakes up/is somehow fixed" for 2 seasons then the very last episode gives us an ambigous "or maybe he wasnt fixed after all?". I mean, if the last episode we saw had wound up being the final episode ever then there was ambiguity there already ("carlos" or whatever the name was driving off in the truck, the possibility of multiple archer duplicates and so on), and I really think thats how the show is more likely to go out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Luigi.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

this is all a dream the tow truck driver is having?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So this might be a huge hail marry...

But when Malory gets pissed at Archer for impregnating Trennet, she insinuates that being a "Bastard" is worse than not knowing who your father is...

Can we extrapolate from this that Mallory was at least married to whomever was Archer's dad?

Or is the show stronger overall if that secret just dies with Nicholai Jakov in the exploding ISIS safehouse?

I think Carol/Cheryl has got to be the hardest to write for, because she is super zany but it has to be the right kind of zany and she juggles a lot of really weird character traits that are pretty evenly distributed. Although in the last few seasons I feel like they make a lot of callbacks to choke sex even though that was almost 4 years ago the last time we saw any, i think?

(I'm so hungry for new Archer)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Vishass posted:

this is all a dream the tow truck driver is having?

Don't be dense.

It's the tow truck itself that's dreaming.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I kind of feel like that would be more depressing than anything else. It would be one thing to end the show with "He dead", but another to watch the main character slowly die over three seasons. I mean, technically they dont have to worry about bumming people out and losing viewers because they are already renewed, but I really think this will be "one series in his head, then he wakes up/is somehow fixed" for 2 seasons then the very last episode gives us an ambigous "or maybe he wasnt fixed after all?". I mean, if the last episode we saw had wound up being the final episode ever then there was ambiguity there already ("carlos" or whatever the name was driving off in the truck, the possibility of multiple archer duplicates and so on), and I really think thats how the show is more likely to go out.

Dude, don't worry. He's totally coming back as a cyborg. Trust Herr Doktor!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

So this might be a huge hail marry...

But when Malory gets pissed at Archer for impregnating Trennet, she insinuates that being a "Bastard" is worse than not knowing who your father is...

Can we extrapolate from this that Mallory was at least married to whomever was Archer's dad?

Or is the show stronger overall if that secret just dies with Nicholai Jakov Head of the KGB in the exploding ISIS safehouse?

I think Carol/Cheryl has got to be the hardest to write for, because she is super zany but it has to be the right kind of zany and she juggles a lot of really weird character traits that are pretty evenly distributed. Although in the last few seasons I feel like they make a lot of callbacks to choke sex even though that was almost 4 years ago the last time we saw any, i think?

(I'm so hungry for new Archer)

I really shouldn't have to fix this for you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cyborg Archer seems pretty obvious now that you mention it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Do cyborg Archers dream of film noir pastiches?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Do cyborg Archers dream of film noir pastiches?

Do you not?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would just tickle me if Archer came back as a cyborg, but because it's Krieger, he's the Inspector gadget kind and not the Robocop/$6,000,000 Man kind

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But he has some Westworld style programming where normally he's still terrified of cyborgs, but when a propeller pops out of his head he doesn't comment on it at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Carlosologist posted:

do you guys want a new thread for season 8? I could just spruce up the OP some and request for a title change

I think a new thread for a new season is generally a good idea. I've found a few good shows by seeing a new thread about them pop up here, whereas I wouldn't even notice an old thread getting a name update for a new season.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I am doing another weird thing this year. This time with a budget.

http://uproxx.com/tv/archer-pi-app/3/

Basically it's an Archer point and click adventure game but many of the items/people/locations are on the TV show and you have to use the app camera to grab them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's a cool idea. I haven't ever seen something quite like this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It usually doesn't phase me to see a VA speaking normally, but it's always weird as gently caress to listen to H. Jon Benjamin talking for some reason.

Also an Archer clip that confirms what was suspected based on the previews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMIgcNUpNQ

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Vishass posted:

Basically it's an Archer point and click adventure game but many of the items/people/locations are on the TV show and you have to use the app camera to grab them.

You continue to have an awesome job.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

It usually doesn't phase me to see a VA speaking normally, but it's always weird as gently caress to listen to H. Jon Benjamin talking for some reason.

He looks nothing like his voice suggests he should.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tiggum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ejtH4Vq4o

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

taqueso posted:

You continue to have an awesome job.

And do an awesome job, it's insane how intricate these puzzles are.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vishass posted:

I saw this advertisement in the wild today and I'm once again hyped for the new season.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Tiggum posted:

I think that's only because you're used to his voice coming out of Archer, and it probably doesn't help when all the other characters look at least vaguely like their voice actors. You get used to it after a while.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Megaspel posted:

I think that's only because you're used to his voice coming out of Archer, and it probably doesn't help when all the other characters look at least vaguely like their voice actors. You get used to it after a while.

Try watching Frisky Dingo and hearing Ray's voice coming out of what seems like it should be Archer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's really funny is even though H Jon just uses his voice for both Archer and Bob, the subtle intonations he does really separate the characters in my mind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Megaspel posted:

I first encountered him as Ben in Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist though, and his voice works for that character too, just not for his real self. :shrug:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So the Private Eye season of Archer is on Netflix, what are people's thoughts on it? I think I watched the first episode when it came out and then gave the rest of the season (and show, come to think of it) a miss, just seemed too much like Archer Vice which I liked the idea of but hated the execution. Would people say it's overall better? Worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Season 7 is probably close to top-tier in terms of animation and consistency, it's great I think

• Locked thread