Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ahh thanks. I actually thought it was Italian but wrote Latin because I figured it was a medical thing.

Yeah I thought it was rabies shots. I also thought the shellfish joke was that he was gay at first (usually pork is the first thing that comes to mind with kosher food).

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Was that JK Simmons voicing the detective at the beginning?

Yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Basically a callback to stir-Friday.

That's the origin of it, but they've been doing those jokes for the whole series, like Rabbert Klein.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Only this show would have a reference to a French forensic scientist within the first five minutes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Earl Campbell joke is even better than Johnny Benchian fingers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Fun episode. Has Keegan-Michael Key played that FBI agent role before? I feel like I've seen him at least once on Archer.

One of my least favorite things about this show is the somewhat common use of, for lack of a better term, higher-brow humor to make a joke. I had to Google Bechdel Test to get what the hell they were talking about.

He was a bumbling FBI agent on season 1 of Fargo.

Also the Bechdel Test isn't even remotely obscure by this show's standards.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"I would if it had a negative effect on Cyril."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alkarl posted:

Holy poo poo I can't get enough of Krieger this episode

The background sound of his kicks throughout the fight were amazing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OneTruePecos posted:

"Nobody gives a poo poo about Doonesbury" was amazing.

That was the second hardest I laughed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys should've seen the Shameless thread when someone requested, five seasons into the show's run, that we not refer to actors without including their character's name because it was too hard to pull up IMDb. Also because his posting style was more conversational and that we were too goony to know what a normal human conversation was like.

The Shameless thread is lucky to get five posts in a day during the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has this show ever made an Asterix and Obelix reference? I feel like it has.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about loving Baby Huey

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bea Benaderet's role in On the Town was an uncredited "Brooklyn Girl on Subway"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yay, another episode with a highbrow reference that I have to loving Google!

They were a fun touch the first few times, but are overplayed at this point.

I wouldn't call that highbrow at all. If you asked anyone to name you a mountain climber and they had an answer at all, it would be Tenzing Norgay/Edmund Hillary

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Maybe not a highbrow reference, but definitely an obscure one.

Because, in reality, if you asked anyone to name a mountain climber, there's an extremely good chance that they wouldn't be able to name anyone at all.

I guess. I've known who he was since middle school because of Dave Barry of all people, so highbrow was the total opposite of what came to mind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Archer's cast sounds like a group of long-time friends, with all their damage, and bullshit, and tired rear end in-jokes bouncing off each other to full effect. That is not easy to perform or write, but it is very endearing and it's what's kept the show going even when the overarching plot goes to poo poo.

The fact they have this effect while recording their lines separately is a testament to both them and the editors.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Remember when Fox made a Napoleon Dynamite cartoon 8 years after Napoleon Dynamite hit theaters and 7 years after anyone gave a poo poo?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jonah Hill said that his inspiration for Allen Gregory was Kenny Powers on Eastbound and Down. Never mind that people watch unlikable/very flawed main characters in comedy exist to see them get shot down. Seinfeld, Curb, Always Sunny, Eastbound and Down, Archer... I could go on. The list of sitcoms that don't do it right is much shorter: Allen Gregory and Girls. Not surprisingly, they're both awful as a result.

haha you watched Brickleberry.

Well, drama and the kind of vaguely comedic shows that caused Norm MacDonald to say that "genius creates a bunch of loving idiots" regarding Louie. Nonetheless, it's come a long way from being minor league FX.

You say this like Girls isn't a critical darling that's gone on for five years. Allen Gregory was an abject failure all around. It ran for 7 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Why can't I find it on demand and Google says it returns April 5th? Am I in the wrong parallel again?

This is an April fools thing right?

He is referring to season 7.

• Locked thread