Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Day 1 - Late morning

Joshua Whittaker - East Athena Magnet High (gymnasium)

Joshua found himself staring at a patch of darkness on the ground while the principal droned on about personal responsibility and national unity. National unity? Who the hell was thinking about national unity at a time like this? Sekhemet wasn't even how you spelled it anyway. He hoped that it really was just a stupid prank. In his experience there was nothing that teens (hard not to think of them as children) would not try to stupidly claim credit for, and the entire age demographic was a PSA for "it seemed like a better idea at the time." Comparatively speaking teenaged children with too many Youtube accounts and badly shopped transmitters capable of radio interference taking credit for mundane engine failure was better than the alternative. It was odd though, that one spot was just a little darker than the surrounding shadows cast by the early afternoon sun through the gym's high windows.



Something moved in the darkness, and the shadow bulged. A half rotted hand clawed its way free, pulling the rest of the groaning corpse's body to the surface as it lolled and gnashed at hungrily. Somewhere in the throng a girl screamed as she was dragged down, triggering a panicked stampede as other forms crawled forth to tear and rend. He turned towards Morton for advice, orders, or any kind of direction only to find the principal gurgling his last between the clawed hands of another zombie. The zombie squeezed the corpse with increasing strength and agitation, and Morton's eyes lost the gleam of life.

EAST ATHENA MAGNET is being attacked by (5) +2 ZOMBIES! The students of EAST ATHENA MAGNET have become a +4 PANICKED CROWD! PANICKED CROWD may harm itself or others in the area as it attempts to flee!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks PRINCIPAL MORTON! Roll was success!
PRINCIPAL MORTON has been killed!


Rex Carver - Eldive Park (overlooking Athena Bay Bridge)

It was getting pretty awkward and hard not to meet Hamid's eyes. The man kept reaching for the reaching for the relish with one hand and dropping it to look around furtively and plaintively despite the fact that they were the only ones there. "I will give you extra, always extra my friend. The prophet tells us that what we give away generously will one day be returned. Listen Rex, you are my friend. You must know, Islam is not about this. That..." he motioned blankly towards the smouldering ruin of the Athena Bay Bridge in the distance with its swarm of emergency services clustered around boats and firetrucks and ambulances and a single long tarped area of ground. "that is not Islam." Hamid finished lamely as he put the half dressed hotdog on top of the cart and watched the spectacle on the bridge. The fires earlier had been pretty bad, especially the ones that had cooked off the gas tanks of cars remaining on the bridge.

It was a clear day and Rex's eyes were keen enough that he could make out some of the details. The divers seemed to be having a lot of luck. Well, they were pulling up quite a haul anyway. Lots of parts. Hamid bashed his phone against the cart in frustration.

"I must call my wife. My daughter. Tell them they need to stay indoors. There will be stones, firebombs, attacks in the streets. gently caress!"

He slammed the phone against the cart again after another failed call.

"I must call my wife but there is no loving reception!"

Meet Hamid, apparently he sells hotdogs, is a Muslim, and has a wife and daughter. You may have already been aware of one of those three facts from years of knowing the guy but go with whatever interpretation you find most interesting.

Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital (ER)

Up all day and up all night. Wasn't that a line in a song or something? Rebecca had no idea if she was imagining it or vaguely remembering something else. First, traffic accidents, household accidents, and walk-ins from street injuries as people drove into each other, fled the next incoming attack, or otherwise proved how well placed the Hand of Sekhement's attack was. She'd seen more of the stomach pump in the last shift than she had all week.

Then, the first real wave of the crash-afflicted. Shrapnel, burns, smoke inhalation from the lucky not-dead people closer to the far end of the bridge. More burns, smoke inhalation from the luckier people and first responders who tried to pull the not-dead from the bridge which didn't have many happy endings. This was from the secondary fires and exploding cars on the bridge due to the worst part of her problems and their proximal cause; the very severe burns, smoke inhalation and chemical poisoning from the jet fuel which painted everything in the area. What the jet fuel didn't burn it poisoned or stained highly inflammable.

She caught her breath, knowing that the eye of the storm would never come and she wouldn't have the opportunity to run down the hall to pee. Conventional wisdom held that regular (or necessary) bathroom breaks were a magical unicorn never to be seen twice in the same hour or day, but Rebecca was an optimist. The ER in All Saints was big and well equipped, and the other hospitals and clinics in the area were no doubt doing their best to stem the tide but there was just so much. She'd been taught early on that it was unavoidable, that sooner or later it would happen and she would be responsible for the direct or indirect death of a patient. Looking at the packed ER some part of Rebecca did the math and figured that she was going to be responsible for a lot of deaths today.

Hank Settor - Follman's Bakery

Hank was tired. Deep in the bone harder than he'd ever worked in his life tired, but it was a good tired. They'd run out of bread twice and he'd gotten into a really good pace where the three of them (him, Jerry, and Irene) assembly lined sandwiches to an ever growing and nervous hungry crowd. Somewhere around the second or third hundred sandwich there'd been a weird moment where an emo-looking teenager started bawling that her sister was probably on the bridge. Hank had come around the counter, taken her hand and flashed his thousand watt smile, pouring on the charm and talk about pancetta and prosciutto until she calmed down and the store's landline managed to get through to the sister's phone. Afterwards, in a moment which he'd never be able to tell anyone with a straight face everyone in the room heaved a collective sigh of relief and clapped.

"That was a good sandwich." The rush and near-bubble of panic of the morning was over, and customers had been gradually wandered out and back to the routine of their lives. He recognized the woman as someone who'd been there all morning, moving from person to person in the background touching hands and shoulders to share a quiet and comforting word. It had been her idea to start a cookie jar of donations for the victims of the crash. Maybe she was some kind of social worker or grief counselor? "Although personally I prefer jamon iberico. You got any back there?" She crumpled the brown paper wrapper and lobbed it into the bin around the corner, violet eyes crinkling.

"Hank right? That was a really good thing you did with that girl."

Alma Worth - Wandering the streets downtown

Mechanical failure. It had to be. After 9/11 what were the odds of terrorists being able to take control of a 747 in America? And all the talk about the end of days or God's judgement. It was just a little too much to believe. It was definitely true that people were in a panic and unsure about what was coming next, and Alma vaguely remembered what it had been like back on 9/11 when she had been in school. A lot of people had cried and freaked out, but in the days after things gradually got better. She sighed. People still had to go to work, the world kept on turning and clunky old refrigerators still needed new thermistors.

She hefted her bag and pondered getting an early lunch. There were still errands she wanted to run and a couple other jobs she'd scheduled for the afternoon but neither of the clients had returned her call. Well, the single time her cell had connected anyway. With a population of 8 million there had to be at least what? 500,000 phones in the city? A million? Not counting tourists and calls coming in from around the world, the traffic to the cell towers was probably mind boggling.

At least the streets were mostly deserted though, although she'd passed more than a few traffic accidents. This was really just not a great time. She rounded the corner and was caught short.

"I am the New God, I am the New Flesh! Glory to me fools! Mine name is Azarchel!"

Some guy with a metal mask had cracked open an ATM and was standing on a car, screaming at the world with a sack in hand. This was Athena City so even on a mostly empty street like this there were still plenty of people around ignoring the obviously deranged idiot.

"Bring me tribute, lowly mortals or I wilt strike thou down with greatness!"

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2016 around 16:25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


OOC/Recruit thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3768956

Places of Interest:

Athena City (pop. ~8.4 million)
Athena Bay Bridge (destroyed by plane crash)

Downtown
Museum Mile
Thomas Jefferson Memorial Tunnel
Alliance Tower (former world's tallest building, classical facade, center of global finance)
Malmart Home Office, 1 Mallmart Dr. (Malmart Corporate offices, Massive warehouse & distribution center, disproportionately secured building)
East Athena Magnet High (under zombie attack)
Uptown Tunnel
Follman's Bakery
1st Presbyterian Church by Joseah & Pacific
All Saints Memorial Hospital

Persons of Interest:

Paula Adrianopolous - CEO, Alliance Industries
Dave Malton - Owner, CEO, Malmart Business Corporation

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2016 around 23:11

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Character sheet, rules, & house rules

http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/fre...di/pdq-core.pdf

+16 in stats distributed however you like, with a minimum +2 in DDD. Take -4 in Flaws

(+2 minimum) DDD - Slim, sexy, ergonomic, cool, the Digital Devil Device is the all purpose tool that every modern Devil Summoner uses to manage his personal affairs and Maelstrom of Contracted Devils. Within each device is an electronically inscribed Pandemonium Circle, allowing Summoners to contract, summon, and dismiss weakened Devils in addition to all the conveniences a top-of-the-line smartphone can offer. Digital Devil Device's one-touch banking allows Summoners to store, invest, transfer $oul instantly with the greatest of ease! Purchase or upgrade your model for advanced features and increased hard drive storage today!

+??? Summoned Devil- Congratulations Summoner! In celebration of your contract a complementary one-time bonus Summoned Devil has been released from Devil Digital Devil Corporation's archives and sealed within your Digital Devil Device! Click YES now to release the seal and forge a contract with your complementary Summoned Devil! Digital Devil Corporation assumes no liability for any damages or loss of any kind that might arise from the use of, misuse of, or the inability to use complementary Summoned Devil pairings. complementary Summoned Devil is not to be combined with other offers. user experiences may vary.

+??? Traits- Your character's stats go here.
-4 Flaws- Peccadilloes go here

To satisfy your heart's deepest wish, would you sacrifice another living human being? [YES] / [NO] ?

What part of town were you in and what were you doing when the first plane crashed into the Athena Bridge?

Initiative/Turn order-

PC characters have the opportunity to go first in scenes with NPCs. In the case of a PC/PC conflict initiative order is resolved by chronological date of the post. Actions which ambush, evade, hold action or otherwise are the exception to the rule.

Your DDD and you posted:

Welcome to your Digital Devil Device!

The Contract function allows Devil Summoners to contract with a willing or weakened Devil. As part of a one-time complementary activation bonus your device has been paired with a Summoned Devil from Digital Devil Corporation's Archives. Contract with more for fun and profit!

The Summon function allows you to activate the Pandemonium circle within your device and bring forth a contracted Devil. For safety purposes only One Devil per Summoner may be summoned at a time. There's a best Devil for every occasion!

Is your Contracted Devil proving too much to handle? The Dismiss function allows Devil Summoners to eject a willing or weakened Devil from a given plane of existence. Doing so prevents a Devil from manifesting in that plane for a period of 2,081,376,000 Seconds.

quote:

What's that burning its way through your pocket? It's $oul! The only currency that matters, good for every venue, demi-plane, and location which traffics in Devils and Devil-related goods, $oul is the all-access currency of Summoners, witch-kings, and Potentates everywhere. $oul is gathered through death, destruction, or the application of persistent belief. $pend it to earn it, trade with your friends or devils for it, or harvest it directly and buy exciting premium apps or upgrades for your DDD today!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2016 around 19:41

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fun Shoe

Puppies are dicks posted:

Day 1 - Late morning
Hank Settor - Follman's Bakery

Hank was tired. Deep in the bone harder than he'd ever worked in his life tired, but it was a good tired. They'd run out of bread twice and he'd gotten into a really good pace where the three of them (him, Jerry, and Irene) assembly lined sandwiches to an ever growing and nervous hungry crowd. Somewhere around the second or third hundred sandwich there'd been a weird moment where an emo-looking teenager started bawling that her sister was probably on the bridge. Hank had come around the counter, taken her hand and flashed his thousand watt smile, pouring on the charm and talk about pancetta and prosciutto until she calmed down and the store's landline managed to get through to the sister's phone. Afterwards, in a moment which he'd never be able to tell anyone with a straight face everyone in the room heaved a collective sigh of relief and clapped.

"That was a good sandwich." The rush and near-bubble of panic of the morning was over, and customers had been gradually wandered out and back to the routine of their lives. He recognized the woman as someone who'd been there all morning, moving from person to person in the background touching hands and shoulders to share a quiet and comforting word. It had been her idea to start a cookie jar of donations for the victims of the crash. Maybe she was some kind of social worker or grief counselor? "Although personally I prefer jamon iberico. You got any back there?" She crumpled the brown paper wrapper and lobbed it into the bin around the corner, violet eyes crinkling.

"Hank right? That was a really good thing you did with that girl."


Hank Settor

"Jamon? We keep it in stock. But only sell it sliced - it's too good for a sandwich, even at our prices." Since there wasn't a crowd, he stepped from behind the sandwich counter and led her into the bigger rear area, suddenly surrounded on all sides by breads, cheeses, and meats. "I've got it at twenty or thirty-five dollars a pound," he paused briefly to wash his hands as he indicated the two hams behind glass, "Unless you'd like a whole leg? That's just a flat price and I'll help you choose one from upstairs."

"And really, making a phone call isn't that big of a deal. If you think about it, before cell phones, it would have been standard. Nah, she deserved to find out. Though if her sister had been on the bridge that would have been a hell of a scene." Hank frowned while choosing a knife. "drat, that would have been awful. "

"I'm sorry, but what was your name again?"

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Puppies are dicks posted:

Day 1 - Late morning

Joshua Whittaker - East Athena Magnet High (gymnasium)

Joshua found himself staring at a patch of darkness on the ground while the principal droned on about personal responsibility and national unity. National unity? Who the hell was thinking about national unity at a time like this? Sekhemet wasn't even how you spelled it anyway. He hoped that it really was just a stupid prank. In his experience there was nothing that teens (hard not to think of them as children) would not try to stupidly claim credit for, and the entire age demographic was a PSA for "it seemed like a better idea at the time." Comparatively speaking teenaged children with too many Youtube accounts and badly shopped transmitters capable of radio interference taking credit for mundane engine failure was better than the alternative. It was odd though, that one spot was just a little darker than the surrounding shadows cast by the early afternoon sun through the gym's high windows.



Something moved in the darkness, and the shadow bulged. A half rotted hand clawed its way free, pulling the rest of the groaning corpse's body to the surface as it lolled and gnashed at hungrily. Somewhere in the throng a girl screamed as she was dragged down, triggering a panicked stampede as other forms crawled forth to tear and rend. He turned towards Morton for advice, orders, or any kind of direction only to find the principal gurgling his last between the clawed hands of another zombie. The zombie squeezed the corpse with increasing strength and agitation, and Morton's eyes lost the gleam of life.

EAST ATHENA MAGNET is being attacked by (5) +2 ZOMBIES! The students of EAST ATHENA MAGNET have become a +4 PANICKED CROWD! PANICKED CROWD may harm itself or others in the area as it attempts to flee!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks PRINCIPAL MORTON! Roll was success!
PRINCIPAL MORTON has been killed!

Joshua Whittaker

This can't be real

For a moment, and really just a moment, Joshua didn't believe what he was seeing. I mean, this can't be real, can it? Sure, a plane or two fell out of the sky but that's something that can actually happen, not seeing your boss getting murdered in cold blood by some kind of monster right out of a cheesy horror flick. It took the screams of his students, as they panicked in the packed gymnasium, to snap him back to reality. Hideous monsters are trying to devour people, and you happen to be in the middle of it.

He didn't have time to take an assessment of the situation, the chaos in front of him too much to process at the moment. He panicked momentarily, looking to his fellow teachers for help, but really, were they going to be any less terrified right now? He had to take some kind of action, or he was going to die along with his boss, and frankly he never liked the man much. Something about that device he'd taken from his student came to mind. Pulling it out of his pocket, Joshua fumbled with the DDD as he tried to open it, feeling a prick on his finger and drawn blood. Ow.

The device lights up in his hand. A summoning circle appears on the top screen, while a name appeared below, indecipherable, with a prompt. [????????] ACCEPT/DECLINE

What choice was there?

JOSHUA WHITTAKER uses +2 DDD to summon [????????]!

Juchero fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2016 around 17:51

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

quote:

Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital (ER)

Up all day and up all night. Wasn't that a line in a song or something? Rebecca had no idea if she was imagining it or vaguely remembering something else. First, traffic accidents, household accidents, and walk-ins from street injuries as people drove into each other, fled the next incoming attack, or otherwise proved how well placed the Hand of Sekhement's attack was. She'd seen more of the stomach pump in the last shift than she had all week.

Then, the first real wave of the crash-afflicted. Shrapnel, burns, smoke inhalation from the lucky not-dead people closer to the far end of the bridge. More burns, smoke inhalation from the luckier people and first responders who tried to pull the not-dead from the bridge which didn't have many happy endings. This was from the secondary fires and exploding cars on the bridge due to the worst part of her problems and their proximal cause; the very severe burns, smoke inhalation and chemical poisoning from the jet fuel which painted everything in the area. What the jet fuel didn't burn it poisoned or stained highly inflammable.

She caught her breath, knowing that the eye of the storm would never come and she wouldn't have the opportunity to run down the hall to pee. Conventional wisdom held that regular (or necessary) bathroom breaks were a magical unicorn never to be seen twice in the same hour or day, but Rebecca was an optimist. The ER in All Saints was big and well equipped, and the other hospitals and clinics in the area were no doubt doing their best to stem the tide but there was just so much. She'd been taught early on that it was unavoidable, that sooner or later it would happen and she would be responsible for the direct or indirect death of a patient. Looking at the packed ER some part of Rebecca did the math and figured that she was going to be responsible for a lot of deaths today.

Rebecca took a deep breath and walked to the sink to wash her hands, not that they needed it but it was the only thirty second break she would get today. Heading to trauma for the next patient, possible hemorrhage from a fallen beam, she called to her nearest student. "We will need more saline cooled, call oncology and see if you can steal some gauze from them, and...make another pass through the waiting room and see if anyone's condition has changed, I don't want someone throwing a clot or something and us missing it while they quietly die waiting for a cast."

Opening the doors the first thing she noticed was the all too familiar scent of burning flesh, and after today she wouldn't be able to forget it. The quiet whimpers gave way to screams and the other nurse tried to start an IV and was finding it difficult with the burns covering her arms. "The top of the foot, stop touching her arms!" She walked to the head of the bed and tried to gently smooth the woman's hair. "My name is Rebecca, and you're at All Saint's. We're going to take care of you. Can you tell me your name sweetheart?"

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Alma Worth

Well, it's Athena City. They homegrow their nuts here.

With a mildly put-upon sigh, Alma fishes around in a pocket for her phone and half-dials 911 before realizing the issue with that particular solution to the problem, i.e., no bars. Besides, looters aren't exactly uncommon after calamities -- how likely are the police to respond to one crazed Videodrome fan? Speaking of, how likely is this guy to start taking out his half-baked God complex on bystanders?

...drat civic responsibility. Alma steps into the wide berth the crowd (semi-crowd?)'s giving Azarchel and raises a hand. "Hey, 'scuse me." She waits until she can be sure he's paying attention (which is fairly difficult when the subject's a guy in a mask). "Can I ask what it is you're looking for here?" Shooting straight and eye contact can be disconcerting when people expect you to keep your head down and scurry; usually that's only ever applied to work (with muscly clients or loud ones), but maybe it'll sway a zealot.

Using A Deathlike Calm +4 to try and de-escalate the situation, catch Azarchel off guard: 2d6+4=11 [3,4]

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2016 around 19:36

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

Rex took a long drag, blowing the smoke in a thin line from the corner of his mouth. He hated people talked about personal issues when all he wanted was a hot dog...he got too deep into people's personal lives day-to-day already. For most of the first part of the conversation he was just nodding and making non-committal but generally positive grunts.

But when Hamid mentioned throwing rocks and firebombs he felt a twinge. The poor guy was probably right. People were going to be looking for someone to poo poo on.

"Hamid...don't worry. It doesn't matter who claims they're what. Whoever did that" he waves the half-burned cig towards the bridge, "is the only one to blame. Doesn't matter what flag they're draped in or who they say they're doing it for. Don't worry, it'll get sorted."

He absentmindedly pulls his phone from his pocket to see if he's got a signal at all yet. "Look, you shouldn't be out here on the streets right now anyway. Take a day off. Where'd you live? Maybe we could share a cab, get you back to your family?" He silently kicked himself after he said it...hopefully Hamid's family wasn't on the other side of the bridge. Hopefully the poor bastard doesn't start crying...he never knew how to deal with that.

I'm assuming I won't get a signal either but just in case I'm not declaring that outright...also being "absentminded" in case I pull out the DDD and find out I can make a call with that.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Alma Worth - Wandering the streets downtown

"Know Maiden that I have been chosen by the Heavens and granted vastly powers to usher in the New Age!" She stared at him expectantly and calmly, but the deathly quiet (and stare) clearly unnerved him. "I-uh... I want thou to gird my loins and uhm. anoint me with sweet oils" Azarchel looked down at his feet awkwardly and she realized that this was probably the longest conversation he'd had with a girl recently if at all.

"Hey Gandalf, get a room!" A can sailed out from somewhere in the half-crowd splashing Azarchel who tipped and slid awkwardly off the side of the car. There was a pregnant silence. Was that a sob? "You know what, gently caress you all. Arise Exadeath! In my name destroy all these fools who stand before me!" There was a click followed by a familiar humming and ding.



"What the gently caress is this poo poo-" The shadowed angel flapped its wings, gore blooming in its wake.

ALMA uses A Deathlike Calm +4 to try and de-escalate the situation and catch Azarchel off guard: 2d6+4=11 [3,4]
AZARCHEL defends with Ubernerd +4 Painfully socially inept -4, (8)! AZARCHEL failed to defend!
AZARCHEL has been extremely embarrassed and lost (3) -6 temporary ranks due to social combat!
AZARCHEL loses access to traits +4 Ubernerd and +2 Makes his own costumes until he recovers his composure in between scenes!
AZARCHEL has activated his +??? DDD, and summoned EXADEATH +8!
EXADEATH +8 attacks a BYSTANDER! Roll was success! (4) BYSTANDERS have been killed



Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital (ER)


The woman had a deathgrip on the handles of the bed and she bore down on Rebecca with as much focus and lack of screaming as possible. Further down the bed the IV finally slipped in, and the first trickle of blessed relief seeped into her she calmed. "Mary. All Saints is right on my commute home."

Then she spasmed, catching herself, the sweet acrid burnt jerky smell intensifying as she pulled herself as far up as she could get towards Rebecca's face. "Listen! Drugs. I want drugs! Morphine! Tylenol, motherfucking crack cocaine!" It was easy to keep an eye on her blood pressure and wait her out. She nodded murmured something sympathetic and questioning. "Listen Rebecca. I'm on a mission from loving God and if I don't get out of this bed and get the drugs I need to do it. The city. The city's going to be hit with another terror attack. Thousands of people." Her voice quailed with the effort. "Tens of thousands of people will die. I have to get out of this bed Rebecca!"

Joshua Whittaker - East Athena Magnet High (gymnasium)

What kind of sound does a starfish make? Do fish even make noises? Joshua had no idea but he was pretty sure they didn't make a creepy warbling giggling noise which is what this one did. He shivered at the sudden breeze brought on by the apparently flying magical starfish demon. There was pretty much no other halfway sane way to put it. It gamboled aimlessly above him, searching the air with its single, disturbingly human eye. In the distance he could see Ashley, the gym teacher pick up a chair and move towards the zombie now discarding Morton but he had the sensation that Decarbia could go first. It made sense since the thing was flying overhead right now anyway.

JOSHUA WHITTAKER uses +2 DDD to summon [????????]! Roll was success, DESCARBIA +6 has been summoned!
As a PC character, JOSHUA has the option to act first or allow DECARBIA +6 to act first in the initiative unless he has already gone or has been surprised/ambushed/held his action!


Hank Settor - Follman's Bakery

"Twenty or thirty-five dollars a pound? Seriously? That is a good price. You sure this isn't stolen?" She nibbled at the slice he proffered, closing her eyes to savor the scent and taste. "Yeah that's the real stuff."

"You've got yourself a sale, Hank. I'll take two. Wrap 'em up and I'll send someone by to pick them up later tonight." She pointed to a dusty wheel of manchego, chewed on a chunk of proffered colby jack, and sucked on a salted olive from a sample platter as they picked their way through the rear storage area and back out front.

"You shouldn't shortsell yourself like that. This wasn't a small thing that was done here today. Think of it in the greater scale of events, like that movie with the kid from the Sixth Sense. Say you help a hundred people, ease their worries and take their minds off the crushing existential terror of planes falling out of the sky and killing everyone. Maybe half of them go home, forget about it. But the other half? They remember, try to do something better and help however many other people they're going to help. And thus the tiny pebble becomes the mightiest avalanche."

"Or something." She smirked and scribbled something on the antique dancing cowboys cookie jar now marked DONATIONS FOR BRIDGE VICTIMS. "If you run into anybody that really seems like they need help, or just a kind word. They can call me. Or I guess if the phones are out ask around."

quote:

Isabelle Weaver ###-###-####

She'd dotted her I with a squiggly eye-shaped heart in lilac marker, and she was gone.

Rex Carver - Eldive Park (overlooking Athena Bay Bridge)

Rex's phone wasn't a very smart one but at least it was charged. No bars though, which was about what he'd expected anyway.He motioned vaguely towards the display, shrugging in resignation. What could you do? No bars was no bars. "Yes, you are right my friend. I need to put the cart away and make it home to my family as soon as possible. My daughter, she is so young and she wears the hija-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8ORi6UUJE

First came the buzzing. Both of them turned instantly to Rex's other pocket where the Digital Devil Device was vibrating on rhythmic repeat before coming to a dinging stop. "My friend! You have another phone. It is taking calls and receiving text message alerts. Please I beg of you, let me borrow this phone!" He clutched and pressed at Rex's hands plaintively.

Odds or evens roll to see which one you draw, survey says normal phone which does not have reception. The DDD is getting a lot of text alerts and messages though. HAMID isn't super grabby but this is definitely a personal space issue.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker


What in the hell is this thing?!

It was getting real hard to tell if he was going insane or not at the moment.

First plane crashes, then the declaration of an ancient egyptian god, then motherfucking zombies, and now? Now a terrifyingly strange, one eyed giant starfish had come out of a handheld device and apparently was there to serve him. He knew it was called Decarabia, he knew it was prepared to take his commands, and he knew that it was likely the only chance he had at saving anyone in this chaos. What can this thing even do, besides float around and unsettle the hell out of me? He concentrated on the problem ahead of him, focusing on the fledgling connection he'd made with this hasty summoning and commanded the creature to destroy those preying upon the weak, with extreme prejudice. He only hoped he wasn't making a massive mistake, as he did his best to make his way through the crowd and to the other teachers making a fighting effort, while keeping his distance from the ravenous undead.

DECARABIA acts first!

DECARABIA casts ????????? upon (5) +2 ZOMBIES!(2d6+6: 13 [2d6=3, 4])

JOSHUA's turn!

JOSHUA WHITTAKER tries to be Quick On His Feet!(2d6+2: 13 [2d6=6, 5])

Juchero fucked around with this message at Apr 2, 2016 around 19:27

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

"Shh, I need you to calm down Mary. I know this is upsetting, but I need you to relax and talk to me. Do you have any allergies Mary, any medical issues we should know about? Diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, anything?" Rebecca made notes about the depth of damage to the tissue and how much of her body was covered in the wounds. She jumped as the lady screamed for drugs, not scared but startled, then wrote 'ds' at the top of the file signifying drug seeking behavior.

"We're going to make everything alright again, Mary, I just need you to trust me and relax. Can you do that for me please?" Stepping away, she pulled her nearest student to the side with a small frown. "Can you get a doctor in here so we can get her some pain medicine? What are they all doing, and why are none of them in trauma?"

Rebecca returned to the woman's bedside and gave her a soothing smile, checking the monitors to be sure her vitals were holding steady. "Tell me Mary, what were you saying about more attacks? Is there something we should know?"

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

"Whoa, whoa, Hamid." Rex raises one hand to try and calm Hamid and with one hand he fumbles around for the other phone. He's clumsy and drops his personal phone. The cheap plastic "protective case" shatters and Rex winces as the battery flies out of the back. drat, it was useless right now but he was going to need to replace that once this was all over.

Rex sighs and pulls out the strange phone, "This isn't even mine, found it in my coat today. But I'm sure whoever it is won't mind you making a call." He checks the screen out of mild curiosity...maybe someone was trying to text the phone to see where it had ended up.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Alma Worth

Jesus, Exadeath? An angel? As in, an actual, literal angel of death? Alma took a step back, prepared to run. Then the -- reaper is maybe a better word -- flapped its wings and cut a swathe through the gawkers, which told her that -- first and foremost -- she had to do something. Not because she was particularly fitting -- just because she was close. Heaven works in mysterious ways.

Half on evidence -- the little Nintendo-looking gizmo had arrived from nowhere and had some relationship to an occult threat, so it'd fit with "granted vast power," especially when considering the dramatic flair of the average hopeless nerd, and of course the familiar hum -- and half on instinct, she drew the DDD from a pocket and selected the "Kyrkogrim" -- a dog's skeletal torso, still with tufts of black fur, emerging from the torso of a body dressed in a dusty black suit. Hopefully, she figured, if she could summon her own angel -- if the little device even did that -- close enough to the fool, he'd have to consider whether his own monster could make it back in time to save him...

Rolling DDD +2 to summon Kyrkogrim +2 close enough to Azarchel to get into a Mexican standoff kind of situation.
2d6+2 = 11 [3,6]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fun Shoe

Puppies are dicks posted:

"Twenty or thirty-five dollars a pound? Seriously? That is a good price. You sure this isn't stolen?" She nibbled at the slice he proffered, closing her eyes to savor the scent and taste. "Yeah that's the real stuff."

"You've got yourself a sale, Hank. I'll take two. Wrap 'em up and I'll send someone by to pick them up later tonight." She pointed to a dusty wheel of manchego, chewed on a chunk of proffered colby jack, and sucked on a salted olive from a sample platter as they picked their way through the rear storage area and back out front.

"You shouldn't shortsell yourself like that. This wasn't a small thing that was done here today. Think of it in the greater scale of events, like that movie with the kid from the Sixth Sense. Say you help a hundred people, ease their worries and take their minds off the crushing existential terror of planes falling out of the sky and killing everyone. Maybe half of them go home, forget about it. But the other half? They remember, try to do something better and help however many other people they're going to help. And thus the tiny pebble becomes the mightiest avalanche."

"Or something." She smirked and scribbled something on the antique dancing cowboys cookie jar now marked DONATIONS FOR BRIDGE VICTIMS. "If you run into anybody that really seems like they need help, or just a kind word. They can call me. Or I guess if the phones are out ask around."


She'd dotted her I with a squiggly eye-shaped heart in lilac marker, and she was gone.

Hank Settor - Midtown


Isabelle Weaver, the name definitely rang a bell, but he couldn't quite place it. Maybe an office that he passed while riding to work? Either way, he got two pounds sliced up and set aside for her, and left a note for the evening shift explaining the phone number and the pick-up order. He went ahead and added it to his phone, too. Not like adding contacts took any storage. It was nearly two, and he needed to get going. After a quick clean-up downstairs, he was off, thinking about avalanches and hoping there'd not be a huge crowd at Antler tonight.

Traffic was dead quiet, and almost nobody on the streets, either. Very eerie. But also a good time to get some snaps, so he kept his new 'devilphone' in his hand as he rode, stopping to grab quick early-afternoon shots. Maybe there'd be a chance to get some shots of the fountain with no people hanging around?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Hank Settor - Midtown

The devilphone was actually a really good digital camera. It auto adjusted for flash and glare, seemed to have no problems with motion, and did that thing where he could tell it what to do with the right keywords. Hank got more than a few good shots with it, juxtaposing the emptiness of the streets with the brightness of the day and vibrancy of the city's colors wherever he could. He got some great shots of newly sprayed SEKHEMET graffiti, which must have sprung up like mushrooms after a rain. He played with the concept of space and focus on the graffiti, wondering if the devilphone could take a good Panoramic view shot when he spotted (and got spotted in return) by a cop idling on the corner.

"Hey rear end in a top hat! What are you doing over there!" Athena City's finest didn't exactly have a reputation for gentility and grace but this guy was like an atavistic Sylvester Stallone. "What's that you're holding? Lemme see your hands in the air, fucko!" The cop was already out of his car, hand grabbing for the pistol at his side.

Wild POLICE OFFICER +6 appeared! POLICE OFFICER +6 doesn't seem too happy to see you!

Alma Worth

It occurred to Alma, why couldn't she summon her angel a little bit away? Maybe just angle it a little over so it could pop into existence on the other side of the car where Azarchel was hiding or shoot it out with some forward momentum. She hoped for the best, wincing at the jab to her thumb and arcing the screen. "Aaah!" The Kyrkogrim was plenty intimidating even if she didn't tell it to do anything. A skeletal shadow dog made of horror and teeth? With any luck it'd scare him into submission with a stiff look. "GRRRRR!!!"

"Aaaah Exadeath! Save me! Save me now!"

ALMA uses her DDD +2 to Summon KYRKOGRIM closer to AZARCHEL! Roll was success! KYRKOGRIM has been Summoned somewhere on the other side of the car near AZARCHEL!
AZARCHEL is in trouble! AZARCHEL has called for help!
KYRKOGRIM can act before AZARCHEL's turn in the initiative order!


Rex Carver

Your DDD and you posted:

Welcome to your Digital Devil Device!

The Contract function allows Devil Summoners to contract with a willing or weakened Devil. As part of a one-time complementary activation bonus your device has been paired with a Summoned Devil from Digital Devil Corporation's Archives. Contract with more for fun and profit!

The Summon function allows you to activate the Pandemonium circle within your device and bring forth a contracted Devil. For safety purposes only One Devil per Summoner may be summoned at a time. There's a best Devil for every occasion!

Is your Contracted Devil proving too much to handle? The Dismiss function allows Devil Summoners to eject a willing or weakened Devil from a given plane of existence. Doing so prevents a Devil from manifesting in that plane for a period of 2,081,376,000 Seconds. Use it to show those Devils who's boss!

Flipping open the screen something knicked his thumb and Rex bit back the urge to curse. There were a set of alert messages and what were either ads or tutorial options but after a glance he scrolled past them and passed the phone to Hamid who grabbed at it eagerly. "It connects!" Hamid raised a hand to heaven in thanks before rattling off in terse Pakistani (or Arabic? "Maryum! #### ############..." He had no real idea what the man was saying or if the yelling was ordinary panic or something worse but either way the call ended abruptly. "My brother Ali, he owns a taxi and can give us a ride. First we drop off the hotdog cart. Then we take this ride and he can drive you anywhere you need to go after, Rex." Somehow it happened, and they were holding hands. Eh. Hamid was crying after all. "Thank you so very much!"

There was nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of. Hamid was just really grateful and relieved. It was just hard to look him in the eye for a lot of reasons, and Rex turned his gaze towards the bridge again. Something was going on in the water. What happened to all the divers?

Rebecca Hunt

"Hey. Listen. I'm no junkie ok? Don't humor me! These are downers right? It's gonna calm me down, make me sleep. You have to give me uppers. poo poo! What's it called? Fenatol? Adrenomol? You inject it right here into my heart and give me something else," she spasmed and shook. "Something else for the pain."

"I'm no junkie. I have kids. I'm a cop, well a police consultant. But there's monsters out there in the city and its people like me who keep you safe. Me! So don't patronize me!" It really was odd, where were the doctors? And why wasn't anyone helping?



She blinked and blinked again. Fairies? Fairies which danced in the air shimmering with the almost-solid notes of a spectral song around them. Nobody else was looking at them properly. In fact none of the doctors or patients they were attending so much as moved or reacted to the creatures, apparently finding nothing remarkable about the fact that they were gleefully opening the valves to as many oxygen delivery devices and tanks as they could, locking or wedging shut doors as they fluttered through the ER. One of them made eye contact with Rebecca and giggled.

"gently caress."

Mary whimpered and the fight oozed out of her.

(2) +2 FAERIE has appeared from elsewhere in the hospital! +2 FAERIE is under the effect of Song of Ease!
DOCTORS failed to resist! They are not able to react to FAERIE's presence effectively!
OTHER NURSES failed to resist! They are not able to react to FAERIE's presence effectively!
PATIENTS failed to resist! They are not able to react to FAERIE's presence effectively!
+2 FAERIE opens the valve to as many oxygen tanks as it can!
+2 FAERIE is sealing the doors to the ER!


Joshua Whittaker

Where was the noise even coming from? It had no mouth so how could it laugh? Among the many nonsensical things that had become his life Joshua wondered about that the most as Decarabia's giggling broke open into an awful inhuman laugh which he had no words to describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwlRH-3MfM
FYI may be a bit loud/NSFW for koala-noise

It was horrible. So horrible that members of the fleeing crowd fell down clutching at themselves to hide from the noise. One of the more observant stragglers was so panicked by the noise he flung a fire extinguisher at Joshua, which quick on his feet and already moving he easily dodged. The zombies weathered Decarabia's assault better, although to Joshua's mixed relief the head of the closest one exploded messily. Its body toppled and dissipated into a swirl of black smoke which clung to the ground. The remaining four righted themselves and oriented on the spinning starfish and clawed and swiped as it flew overhead ineffectually chortling and giggling at their efforts. From the corner of his eye he watched Ashley lunge at one of them with a heavy overhead swing, smashing a folding chair apart to no real reaction by the zombie. She stared at the broken chair in her hands speechlessly.

DECARABIA +6 casts ??? on +2 ZOMBIES!
+2 ZOMBIE defense was failure! +2 ZOMBIE has dissipated into black smoke!
+2 ZOMBIE defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks DECARABIA +6! Defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks DECARABIA +6! Defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks DECARABIA +6! Defense was success! No damage taken!
+2 ZOMBIE attacks DECARABIA +6! Defense was success! No damage taken!
ASHLEY attacks +2 ZOMBIE with a folding chair, GYM TEACHER +2! ZOMBIE had advantage from the trait (resistant to damage)! Defense was success! No damage taken!
+4 PANICKED CROWD attacks JOSHUA as the one who summoned the thing that makes that horrible noise (or something)! JOSHUA defends with Quick on His Feet +2, (13)! Defense was success!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker



Holy poo poo, he actually did it! How he did it or what exactly he did was still a complete mystery, but it worked and he even took down one of those monsters in the process! It almost distracted him from how weird this all was! But there were still four others, and other than spinning around and making nightmarish sounds the starfish wasn't going to be much help trying to prevent any other deaths. This was chaos, and he'd even had to avoid getting assaulted by one of his own students in the middle of the mob! With a fire extinguisher no less. So he tried to save who he could, while the monster had the other monsters' attention. "Ashley, get everyone out now!" He had to nearly scream to be heard over the din, but at the same time he needed to convince them that his way was the only way out of this alive. "We don't have much time before those things attack us again, so get out, now!"

Looking at the monster that had given them this chance, he was still no less confused, but he definitely appreciated it's presence. Well, he didn't appreciate that it was probably just as terrifying to the students as the undead, and that noise was going to haunt him until the day he died, but he believed it could fight. "Hey! Whatever your name is, keep it up until these things are dead!" He decided to take a look at the DDD once more, to see if there was anything it could tell him about the starfish, and what it can do.

JOSHUA attempts to sway the survivors towards escaping using his Way With Words +4! (2d6+4: 9 [2d6=4, 1])

DECARABIA casts ??? ?? ???? +6 on +2 ZOMBIES! (2d6+6: 15 [2d6=4, 5])

Juchero fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2016 around 02:49

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

Rebecca paused for a moment with the realization that all of grandma's old stories may have been more than stories. She could remember the thick smell of sage smoke mixed with rose oils as she sat on the rug in front of grandma's chair hearing the mast fantastical tales of creatures from storybooks. Giants, witches, elves, they all existed at grandma's and they all ate bad little girls and boys. Fae had to have come up at some time, she knew it, but what did she say about them, how do you drive them away?

As she thought she did the only other thing that seemed to be a good idea and pulled the fire alarms, maybe then people would at least try and leave and realize something's wrong.

REBECCA asks herself did grandma teach me enough about Fae?+0 (2d6: 8 [2d6=3, 5])

Li Dawny fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2016 around 13:23

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Haunt Kyrkogrim

In response to the request of its summoner, Kyrkogrim tears its way onto the roof of the car and wraps its jaws and decidedly sharp skeletal mass around the enemy summoner's neck and upper body -- being careful not to draw blood. Sort of counterintuitive for a black dog, but it is not the purpose of a summoned demon to question its summoner's orders.

Kyrkogrim +2 uses its innate talents to attach itself to AZARCHEL. [2d6+2=7 (3,2)]

Alma Worth

"Now listen. Alright?" Calm. Even. Don't betray any fear. Don't have any, in the first place. Fear is worse than pointless -- it's counterproductive. "I don't know what yours can do, and I don't know what mine can do, either. But I know mine's close enough to you that it can bite down before yours gets close, and those teeth look sharp enough to cut -- and blunt enough to hurt." Alma walks forward, slowly. No sudden movements. For all anyone knows, this is a casual conversation about rending and maiming. "I don't like that idea. I consider myself a merciful woman. But I know for a fact you've set that creature on innocents." Breathe. In, out. "So if you keep going, and two or three more die, there'd be no mercy in letting you go, even if my hands stayed clean."

Breathe in...

"If that were how things were, I'd serve my morals much better by telling the dog to chew 'til it hits trachea."

...and out.

"So call off your angel and throw me the magic gadget, huh? Slow and easy."

Using A Deathlike Calm +4 and the threat of Kyrkogrim +2 to ratchet up intimidation into full-blown terror/submission. [2d6+4+2=11 (2,3)], and I'm petitioning for an upshift, on account of RP/Azarchel's got the tangible threat of a dog around his throat and Alma's not screwing around. Also, I came up with adding Kyrkogrim's +2 after the fact of rolling, which is why it's not in there. Hope that's alright.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

Rex sheepishly pats Hamid on the back. "It's cool man, glad I could help." He takes another drag, finishing off his cigarette and patting his pockets for his pack and lighter. He picks up his dropped smartphone and, seeing the shattered screen, tosses it in a nearby trash can. He might wait to find the weird phone's owner until he gets a replacement...all those weird messages were probably someone's weird mobile game.

He shields his eyes with his hand, peering at the water. Just what is happening over there?

2d6=7. I'm not certain if Private Eye might add to it as a general bonus for being observant, if so that brings it to 11.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Joshua Whittaker - East Athena Magnet High (gymnasium)

Decarabia drooped in the air, telegraphing weariness as its bent arms flapped and dragged along the ground which drove the zombies into a frenzy. They advanced at the starfish as a mass, grasping at it only to be knocked back as it suddenly rocketed into the air again hooting derisively. It wriggled around midair to stare at him as he issued orders, and stared at him for a long and uncomfortable moment. Did the thing just shrug at him? The vicious hooting became something similar to language, and he gasped as words took form to smash and bisect three of the remaining zombies to leave smudges of black smoke in their wake.

"He's one of them! He's telling that thing what to do!" Somewhere out there in the crowd someone shouted, louder than him against the din and angry and unfocused eyes turned on him in response. They wouldn't. I mean it was obvious that he was trying to help right? "loving zombiemaster! Nobody likes your lovely class anyway!" Joshua was still up on the slightly upraised stage but that didn't stop a burly teen from taking a swipe at his legs. "Evil Sekhemet fucks! Die!" Someone shoved him from behind and he tottered dangerously close to the edge.

DECARABIA +6 casts ??? ?? ???? on +2 ZOMBIES! Roll was success!
ZOMBIE +2 defends! Defense was failure! ZOMBIE +2 has been dissipated!
ZOMBIE +2 defends! Defense was failure! ZOMBIE +2 has been dissipated!
ZOMBIE +2 defends! Defense was failure! ZOMBIE +2 has been dissipated!
ZOMBIE +2 defends! Defense was success!
JOSHUA +4 attempts to guide PANICKED CROWD +4 to escape the scene! Roll was failure! PANICKED CROWD +4 lashed out at random! PANICKED CROWD attacked JOSHUA! JOSHUA's default defense is +2 Quick on his feet & -2 Not much in a fight! Defense was failure! JOSHUA takes 2 (-4) ranks of damage!
ZOMBIE +2 attacks DECARABIA +6! Defense was success!


Alma Worth - Massacre site somewhere downtown

"Take it! Don't kill me!" The DDD launched out from behind the car before Alma could even finish her sentence. "Don't kill me! I can do things for you!" Azarchel was babbling now and Kyrkogrim found that the human had unpleasantly fouled itself. It would be easy to snap shut and quiet its mewling forever but the Summoner had issued no such order. "Lots of things! I can pay you! I have money!"

Alma's eyes were on Exadeath. Even from a distance the angel was huge, and she worried that maybe the quick capitulation wouldn't be clear enough. She looked at the blood dripping down its blade decided to chance it. "Hey! Your owner surrendered. You should surrender too!" The angel didn't even bother turning around, ignoring her and its master both to fly forth and murder even more of the people trying to flee the scene. It made a great aerial circuit killing dozens before it stabbed someone through a second floor window and turned to regard Alma. On the ground between them Azarchel's fallen DDD buzzed.

It's a fair argument to make so your upshift is fine, you have already used your action for this round Summoning Kyrkogrim right on top of Azarchel though so I won't include your +4. That makes +2 Kyrkogrim +2 upshift +5 (2,3) your roll

AZARCHEL has lost all ranks in social combat! AZARCHEL must either comply with ALMA's request or flee the scene!
AZARCHEL surrendered his DDD by throwing it around the car!
AZARCHEL has lost control of EXADEATH +8! EXADEATH continues to pursue/attack bystanders! Another (20) people have been killed!
EXADEATH is definitely looking at ALMA now though!
AZARCHEL's fallen +??? DDD has received an alert message!


Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital, locked ER

She never called them fairies. Dozens of poems, hundreds of songs, never lying, always moving in straight lines, and something about being afraid of salt and cold iron? A flood of half-memories followed Rebecca as she picked her way across the room towards the fire alarm. Best case scenario it woke everybody in here up and scared the little fae away before anybody got hurt. Worst case, at least the people outside would get a warning.

Pointedly she tried not to think about the worst case. Leave out a bowl of cream for them, never say thank you, and what was it about taking food? Rebecca found herself frozen inches away from the alarm staring down the glittering eyes of a Faerie. Should she sing to it in rhyme? It giggled and she felt the edge of something solid forming at the tip of her fingertips. Something uncomfortably sharp.

"Rebecca." Mary rasped as she held up a familiar-looking device, slowly waving the screen back and forth as she spoke. "They like fires. Don't laugh. Don't smile. Don't look away. Back away." It didn't work but now the Faerie was alternating it's gaze between the two of them speculatively. From the corner of her eye she could see the other one start to glow red, whispering and hugging itself in glee.

REBECCA tries to remember if GRANDMA told her anything useful about FAE while running for the nearest fire alarm! Roll was failure, she remembered lots of things but the action was opposed by FAERIE +2!
FAERIE +2 blocks REBECCA from pulling the fire alarm! Roll was success!
FAERIE +2 gathers energy! Roll was success! FAERIE +2 created a +2 upshift to its next action!
MARY pulls up a videoclip of fire on her +??? DDD to try and catch FAERIE's attention! Roll was failure!

Honestly it was a really good idea though it would have been easier to pull off one thing (thinking really hard OR pulling the alarm) as opposed to both at the same time but that's RNG sometimes.


Rex Carver - Eldive Park (overlooking Athena Bay Bridge)

It was pretty hard to say for sure what was happening out on the water. The Athena Bay was hardly known for its cleanliness and the oil slicks, chemical runoff, and blood in the water made it even harder to guess what was going on beneath the waves. But after a career of stakeouts he'd learned to trust his hunches, or at least pay attention when his subconscious picked at details in the background. Where were all the divers at? There'd been a steady stream before in and out of the water but now there was nothing. The emergency services workers out on the water were looking down in confusion as well. Was the water getting rougher and choppier?

"Rex? We are going now, yes? If you need to take more photos for your work, I can push the cart uptown myself and meet you again later for the ride ok?" Hamid tugged at his sleeve, holding up the mysterious phone and waving. "I will take this phone, and you can take mine in case you need to make a call."

I'd say Private Investigator would be valid given somethingsomething observant senses, or something. 11 it is! REX +4 takes a closer look at what's happening out on the water! Roll was success! None of the divers are coming up and the water just got a lot choppier!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker


You little sons of bitches!

There was a limit to how far you could push someone like Joshua, a limit to self-sacrificial behavior that might be called a little selfish. It turned out, that limit was almost falling on his face into an angry mob. Those ungrateful brats! Here he was, risking life and limb for these kids, not to mention years of his life and years off the functioning lifespan of his liver. This had been a crazy day already, so maybe he could be forgiven for being a little callous, but right now his concern for them sloughed off into disregard. After all this time, all the work trying to get these kids to care about SOMETHING, anything besides themselves and their "infinite" possibilities, he was finally going to be honest with himself.

gently caress them.

The world was going crazy, and as a history teacher he knew well enough what would happen if that mob got their hands on him, riled up and terrified as they were. That wasn't happening, not after he just commanded a terrifying monster and wiped out almost every zombie in the building, he was feeling good. Like he could do anything, if he just took the leap of faith and stopped caring for a moment. Forget them. Forget this whole place, this school is done. Time to move on. Looking up to his Eye in the Sky, he whistled. "Hey! We're getting the hell out of here!" As he spoke, he felt some semblance of understanding between them now. A better connection, now that he wasn't as distracted by the screams. They were screaming to kill him too, you know, not just in terror of being murdered by the undead remaining. In fact, they probably thought he was the bigger threat! Backing up to the back of the stage, he waited for his demonic companion to descend to just the right height...

...and then he ran. He pushed his legs as hard as he could for the full effect of the sprint, making the most out of every single inch the stage allowed him, before leaping into the air, towards the back of Decarabia!


JOSHUA regains his balance but loses 2 ranks(-4) to A Way With Words, losing the ability to reason with his attackers, or anyone!
JOSHUA attempts something truly insane, proving just how Quick On His Feet he is, and makes a flying leap off the stage and onto Decarabia! 2d6+4: 12 [2d6=3, 5]



Fallen Decarabia

It seemed to be having so much fun. It even seemed like it was preparing to finish off the last of the zombies in some improbably absurd way, which at this point seemed to be it's purpose for existence. Yet it seemed to respond to the call, preparing itself as it moved close enough for this mad attempt to work. As he made his leap, it jerked out of the way at the almost last second, before righting itself in the last. It was time to go, that was clear. But where? How? It would figure these things out, right? Of course it would. Decarabia knows what it's doing. It's horrific eye darted around, before spotting the largest and most dramatic window to crash through.

Fallen DECARABIA identifies his master's command!
Fallen DECARABIA attempts to escape the gymnasium! 2d6+6+2: 16 [2d6=2, 6]

I'm going to apply for an upshift here, partially for RP, and partially for the circumstances pushing an otherwise normal alcoholic over the edge and making him consider a magic carpet ride on a giant gibbering starfish. These durn millenials, not respecting their elders!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Alma Worth

Angel's taking the initiative. Acting without orders from the summoner? Hopefully, the little summoning dual-screen can dismiss the thing -- if not, there's the tried-and-true option of rapid disassembling, i.e., smashing it. Alma picks it up and checks the screen.

Oh, and... "Get him out of the way, if you don't mind."

If this necessitates a roll, I'll go with familiarity with a standard DDD +2 for, uh... 2d6+2=4 (1,1). Here's hoping "reading an alert" isn't so difficult that it necessitates a roll!

Haunt Kyrkogrim

The summoner has suggested an (unfortunately, non-lethal) method of disposing of the (frankly, irritating) rival summoner -- Kyrkogrim pulls the fool to the ground with its weight, then drags him under the car, snarling a little to establish dominance and to instruct him in the very real consequences of leaving the beneath-the-car sanctuary (i.e. tearing out his damnable masked throat with Kyrkogrim's own bony jaws.)`

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2016 around 03:42

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

Rex hesitates slightly, then shakes his head. Even if there were problems out on the water, what was he going to do? Jump in the river with a trench coat and a few afterschool days swimming at the YMCA? These guys have emergency workers on the shore, scuba gear and all sorts of stuff. No reason to get involved.

"No, man. Let's go." He waves off Harim's concern. "Lead the way."

Sorry if I'm blowing off a plot hook, feel free to knock Rex back onto the proper path...it just seemed like the sort of thing he wouldn't get directly involved in. So far Rex is blissfully ignorant.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

Deep breath in, and relax. Rebecca looked at the Fae in front of her and chewed her lip for a moment, there had to be a way to fix this. Considering that they were acting like malicious three year olds, she decided to try and treat them as such. She reached out a hand to the closest one, stopping short of actually touching it, and cleared her throat. Channeling every bit of Latin she had ever learned she attempted to communicate in a calm, yet excitable, tone. "What do I have to do for you to let these people live?". Overhearing an update on the plane crash on the ER tv, she glanced at the screen. "What if I can take you there? To a fire bigger than this would be. Then could we just leave here, and let these people live?"

Standing, waiting for a response from a Fae, she briefly wondered if she was insane for even attempting this. However, some part of her knew she wouldn't win a fight, and if she ran all of her patients would die from either oxygen toxicity or when the ER exploded for whatever reason caused it first, and that just wasn't an option.

REBECCA does her best to save everyone, as is her job, using A+ in Med Terms and Just Relax, I'm Here to Make it Better to try and cobble together some passable Latin and get these guys to relax and leave the hospital with her. 2d6+6: 9 [2d6=1, 2]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fun Shoe

Puppies are dicks posted:


The devilphone was actually a really good digital camera. It auto adjusted for flash and glare, seemed to have no problems with motion, and did that thing where he could tell it what to do with the right keywords. Hank got more than a few good shots with it, juxtaposing the emptiness of the streets with the brightness of the day and vibrancy of the city's colors wherever he could. He got some great shots of newly sprayed SEKHEMET graffiti, which must have sprung up like mushrooms after a rain. He played with the concept of space and focus on the graffiti, wondering if the devilphone could take a good Panoramic view shot when he spotted (and got spotted in return) by a cop idling on the corner.

"Hey rear end in a top hat! What are you doing over there!" Athena City's finest didn't exactly have a reputation for gentility and grace but this guy was like an atavistic Sylvester Stallone. "What's that you're holding? Lemme see your hands in the air, fucko!" The cop was already out of his car, hand grabbing for the pistol at his side.

Wild POLICE OFFICER +6 appeared! POLICE OFFICER +6 doesn't seem too happy to see you!


Hank Settor - Midtown
Sorry I missed an update, the commute for my new job is a whole lot longer than I had hoped. Also, new job

"Woah woah, buddy. It's just a smartphone. Can't a guy take pictures of the city?" Hank smiled broadly and carefully held his hands out in a lazy 'w'; not going immediately into full-surrender position, but certainly not pointing at the cop. With his thumb, he deftly navigated home out of the camera app and pressed the pulsing orange eye on the second screen to the right. Taking a step toward the cop, he held it out, seeing that the orange case light was on.
"You want to take a look? Or pose for a snap or two by the grafitti?"

Hypnotise-the-weak-willed certainly seemed to work on distracted subway-goers, but would it do its thing on an alert cop? One who was that far away? Hank took another step toward the cop to try to make sure he was in-range. "I'm not trying to cause any trouble, just taking a ride through the empty streets."

Charming +2 and Devilphone +4 to try to talk the cop down.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital, sealed ER

The Faerie facing her laughed and raised a single glittering finger.

"Unum milia animae."

It waited momentarily for her reply before losing interest and flittering off to lock more doors. Sparkles of light fluttered in its wake, coating each threshold and creeping upward along the frames and locks. Rebecca guessed with a sinking sensation that the room was being thoroughly sealed off and that whatever came next would be worse than she could imagine.

"What are you doing? You can't talk to them! They're monsters! Listen. Take this, get out, hide in a closet. Find a cop." Mary's strangled shout grabbed both their attention, particularly whatever it was she was holding in her other hand which she desperately shook at Rebecca. "Just take it and go!"

The other Faerie muttered something to itself, continuing to swell with an angry red light.

My good gravy that is not a very encouraging roll, not a terrible result though and an unexpected and good idea so here's hoping you're favored by the dread gods of RNG.

REBECCA +6 tries the negotiate with the FAERIE +2! (9) Roll was failure! FAERIE +2 has asked for 1000 souls and has not elaborated further!
FAERIE +2 continues to gather its strength! Roll was success!The +2 upshift has been increased to +4!
FAERIE +2 seals the ER with some sort of magic! Roll was success! The ER has gained the trait (Sealed by magic)!
MARY has a plan! Her plan involves passing something to REBECCA and uh... well fleeing the room is up to you to figure out! MARY will hand it off/toss it if you agree!


Rex Carver - Lucky Dream Garage

There really wasn't anything he could do at this distance anyway, and all those cops and paramedics had to be good for something right? Rex shrugged and followed after Hamid, taking one last glance over his shoulder. They must have more wetsuits or something because there were fewer guys on the boat and the only place they could have gone was into the water.

Navigating the streets was easy going. The city was strangely empty and other than a few angry faces and looks that followed too long the two of them were unmolested. There was basically no traffic on the streets and they jaywalked double time to the garage where the hotdog carts were kept. Rex had seen dozens of drab lovely converted garages like this, and the only thing which differentiated this one was the lack of pinups on the walls or crushed empties in the corner. He took a deep breath and breathed in the mixed scent of tools, condiments, and prayer rugs illuminated by a neon sign which read LUCKY DREAM.

"Ali he will meet us around the block, there is parking there he has been waiting at. Before we go do you want anything? Soda, phone call, another hotdog? It is on the house of course."

REX and HAMID make their way Uptown! Roll was success! REX & HAMID encountered no difficulties!
REX & HAMID have entered the LUCKY DREAM GARAGE! LUCKY DREAM GARAGE is stocked with a variety of foodstuffs, automotive tools, and a clean area for performing prayers!


Alma Worth - Massacre site somewhere downtown

Azarchel's device was basically the same as hers and only had three basic options. Dismiss was probably the smartest move here and keeping one eye on the angel she tapped the button. At least Azarchel was going down quietly. What the heck? Multicolcored circles started flickering across the screen as the camera pointed towards Exadeath and before she caught on to what the concentric circles meant (some kind of rhythm game) Alma had already missed several cues badly.

Exadeath shook itself and the web of flickering circles binding it in the screen dispersed. It said something multisyllabic that she missed and raised its sword high in the air, which caused everything in the area to glow with purple light. Alma noticed the fine hairs starting to rise at the edge of her head. Static electricity?

ALMA uses AZARCHEL's +2 DDD to Dismiss EXADEATH +8! EXADEATH resists! Defense was success! EXADEATH was not Dismissed!
KYRKOGRIM +2 drags AZARCHEL beneath the car, non-lethally! AZARCHEL was out of traits due to losses from social damage, could not resist!
EXADEATH +8 begins casting ???! Roll was success! ??? will take effect in ??? rounds!


Joshua Whittaker - Above East Athena Magnet

It worked! Despite every single rational cell in his head agreeing on how terrible of an idea this was Decarabia swooped to catch him with ease and soared high into the air beyond the reach of any of the ungrateful little bastards and the single remaining zombie beneath. It dipped groundward suddenly and Joshua nearly shat himself with the thought that it was going to drop him for fun, but Decarabia simply buzzed past each of the black columns of smoke and returned skyward when they'd made an awkward little circuit. His phone buzzed with some new alert message as the smoke twisted and funneled its way inside. He barely had the chance to wonder what new absurdity was going on before the starfish shot upwards and smashed bodily through the largest overhead window of the gym, skylight, iron bars, and all.


quote:

What's that burning its way through your pocket? It's $oul! The only currency that matters, good for every venue, demi-plane, and location which traffics in Devils and Devil-related goods, $oul is the all-access currency of Summoners, witch-kings, and Potentates everywhere. $oul is gathered through death, destruction, or the application of persistent belief. $pend it to earn it, trade with your friends or devils for it, or harvest it directly and buy exciting premium apps or upgrades for your DDD today!

Decarabia's laughter had reached a low throb and it bent to look him in the eye appraisingly as he stared down at the city. This was possibly the highest he'd ever been outdoors and not safely behind a window and in the distance Joshua could see the smoldering bridge. He gulped, mouth suddenly very, very dry. This was very high up.

Upshift is fair for narrative reasons of made me laugh and look up pictures of things riding other things.
JOSHUA +4 takes a running leap off the stage towards DECARABIA! (12) Roll was success!
DECARABIA +6 catches JOSHUA and flies him to safety! Roll was great success! DECARABIA also stopped to brush up against the BLACK COLUMNS OF SMOKE left by the +2 ZOMBIES!
BLACK COLUMNS OF SMOKE have been absorbed by JOSHUA's DDD!
JOSHUA has gained 16 $OUL from the Dissipated ZOMBIES!
DECARABIA has taken JOSHUA from the scene! DECARABIA has carried JOSHUA a distance quite high above the school!


Hank Settor - Midtown

The screen flickered with a series of fractal concentric circles and Hank fiddled with the triggers on either side of his Device as he pointed it towards the cop.

"You seriously loving kidding me? Today of all loving days and you want to try and get clever?" Hank found himself staring down the barrel of a pistol and he froze, maybe it was time to try something else.

"I dont... Yeah I guess it's just a smartphone. And you're the wrong color to be one of those Sekhemet fucks anyway." The cop looked down at the gun in his hand. "I don't want any trouble but this isn't the day to be hanging around on the street being a shady gently caress." He stared at the gun and at Hank in confusion some more, not quite able to articulate what he felt was wrong about the situation before holstering it and giving up. "Stay out of trouble. There's a loving terrorist attack going on for Christ's sake."

The man turned towards his car but paused and asked out loud.

"I can go right?"

Hurray for new jobs, congratulations Speleothing I hope your new job is in every way better than your old one.

HANK +6 talks POLICE OFFICER +6 down! Roll was success! POLICE OFFICER took (5) -10 ranks of damage from social combat!
POLICE OFFICER has no traits left to defend with and must either flee the scene or accept HANK's request!
POLICE OFFICER was really confused about what's going on but I guess he doesn't want any trouble!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker


$ouls, huh? Wait, is this thing for real?!

The absurd narrative that had become Joshua's life today, as strange as it was, was starting to feel strangely normal. Even as he soared high above the city, riding atop a dangerously fickle starfish demon, he couldn't help but break away from the oddities and his own fear of falling to his gruesome death to appreciate the view. He'd just escaped serious injury or death, thinking on how differently things could have gone if he hadn't summoned Decarabia as he tried to analyze the situation. From here, he could see the flames from both of the plane crashes, and the city falling into an eerie quiet as the smoke began to obscure the afternoon sun. It was then that his thoughts immediately shifted elsewhere, to something he hadn't thought about in his panic to escape.

"poo poo, Haley!" Immediately he flipped the DDD open again, to see if he could make a phone call or send a text to his girlfriend across town. Everything had happened so fast, and with cell service as it was he figured that it was pointless to try, but now that demons and zombies were a real, actual thing to worry about, her safety became an intense concern. As he tried to get through to her, he looked at Decarabia. "Hey! I need to get to the east side of Athena City, look for the building that has a big star on the front!" SSD, or Star Star and Douglas, had one of the more prominent of office buildings in downtown Athena City, it would be hard to miss...and potentially in the most populated part of the city in the middle of a genuine state of emergency. It felt odd, of course, talking to this creature that didn't speak in any conventional sense, which looked like something out of some fever dream, but it understood him. It saved his life.

He trusted it, for whatever that was worth.

JOSHUA attempts to use the DDD +2 to contact HALEY! 2d6+2: 6 [2d6=2, 2]


Fallen Decarabia

Heeding it's master's command, it took off towards downtown at a breakneck pace, but careful not to buck its rider. No, it wasn't the most dignified role to play, but for now, if Joshua needed a swift mount, he would get one. It kept high in the sky, avoiding the gaze of others while keeping it's giant, unblinking eye occupied searching through the city for other threats.

DECARABIA +6 flies across the city, keeping an eye out for additional threats or sources of chaos! 2d6+6: 12 [2d6=1, 5]

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

Rebecca had to move, and fast. If she thought, she was going to freak out, so this was the time to let her body and brain just send signals, not to interpret them. She needed to get out, how? Window? She looked up along the wall, they existed but she'd need something to climb on to get a good reach. Also, tempered glass makes breaking them more difficult on the trade off of being safer, so not sure how to feel about that one. Car windows are tempered glass, right? So she needed something with an edge like the one on her emergency thing dad gave her; blunt, small, almost pointy but not quite. A needle driver would be perfect! She should find one in the portable cart, which she could use to make the climb up to the window, but she had to be sure and lock the breaks because it would take a good amount of force to break that window and she didn't want the cart to roll from under her afterwards. Oh, afterwards, she needed something to cover her hands and arms as she climbed out, there should be gowns she could wrap around an arm and knock out the glass that sticks to the frame, that would work, right? This might actually work.

Before moving she looked at Mary one last time, grabbing whatever that thing was and squeezing her hand for a moment before putting her plan into action.

REBECCA attempts to escape using focus techniques learned as an ER Nurse +2! 2d6+2: 9 [2d6=2, 5]

Li Dawny fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2016 around 02:17

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Alma Worth

A rhythm game? Inconvenient and "game-y" -- whoever made these should've patched that particular function out already. Still, with a little time and focus, Alma figures, she should be able to hit the right timing -- zero in, ignore the tingling feeling and her hair standing on end, and maybe harass the thing into dropping its guard. "Could you harry it?" Then she hits "Dismiss" again and focuses, as hard as possible, on hitting the button at the correct time. She's not wearing jewelry or soaking wet and she knows to get low in high-voltage environments -- she should be able to handle a little shock. And worrying about that is for after this measure fails. If it fails.

Haunt Kyrkogrim
The summoner's orders seem... mildly suicidal, but it's not Kyrkogrim's place to question. What's more, this seems like an opportunity to prove its worth by more efficiently aiding the summoner's war efforts. Growling, it begins to dart towards Exadeath, then veers off, leveraging its speed to avoid getting too close and leaving behind trails of church talismans. In this manner, Kyrkogrim revolves around Exadeath, keeping it busy, and trapping it in a rough approximation of an exorcism circle -- not small enough or with enough focus to complete the Hama spell, but certainly enough to supplement the summoner's Dismissal.

ALMA attempts Dismissal on EXADEATH with the DDD +2, A Deathlike Calm +4 to focus, and Kyrkogrim +2 to supplement the Dismiss function with a Light spell. 2d6+8 = 18(6, 4).

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

"You know me Hamid, I won't turn down a free hot dog."

Rex peers around the room, there's the slightly awkward feeling of hanging around with someone you know...but not well enough to have anything to talk about in particular. He fills the silence.

"Mind if I check out the phone? I should see if I can find out who it might belong to before the battery dies." Hopefully the thing didn't need a weird charger. Even if there wasn't a reward or anything for returning it having a working cell phone right now isn't a bad thing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fun Shoe

Puppies are dicks posted:


The screen flickered with a series of fractal concentric circles and Hank fiddled with the triggers on either side of his Device as he pointed it towards the cop.

"You seriously loving kidding me? Today of all loving days and you want to try and get clever?" Hank found himself staring down the barrel of a pistol and he froze, maybe it was time to try something else.

"I dont... Yeah I guess it's just a smartphone. And you're the wrong color to be one of those Sekhemet fucks anyway." The cop looked down at the gun in his hand. "I don't want any trouble but this isn't the day to be hanging around on the street being a shady gently caress." He stared at the gun and at Hank in confusion some more, not quite able to articulate what he felt was wrong about the situation before holstering it and giving up. "Stay out of trouble. There's a loving terrorist attack going on for Christ's sake."

The man turned towards his car but paused and asked out loud.

"I can go right?"

Hurray for new jobs, congratulations Speleothing I hope your new job is in every way better than your old one.

HANK +6 talks POLICE OFFICER +6 down! Roll was success! POLICE OFFICER took (5) -10 ranks of damage from social combat!
POLICE OFFICER has no traits left to defend with and must either flee the scene or accept HANK's request!
POLICE OFFICER was really confused about what's going on but I guess he doesn't want any trouble!


Hank Settor - Midtown

"Uh, yeah. Definitely go home and make love to your wife. Be thankful and all that. - Oh! But leave me your hat!"

As the cop left, Hank got back to taking photos, pedaling over toward the big fountain in Washington Square, with the brim of the policeman's hat putting a bulge into his messenger bag. After about another half hour, he decided that the light wasn't great anymore, and turned to ride back to his apartment. On his way, he decided to stop in at the Antler, see if anybody he knows is trying to relax on a day like this.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Day 1 - Early afternoon

Joshua Whittaker - In front of the SSD Building, 10? floors up

He wasn't sure if a phone from Hell would even have bars of reception here and nothing on the touch screen remotely looked like it, but Joshua tabbed through the obvious call button and entered the number anyway. Wait, maybe it was a better idea to try her office phone instead of her cell. Wasn't that a thing? Cell reception... took a dive or something in times of emergency because of overload of the frequencies?

"Hi!" At her cheerful greeting he started, ready to babble out questions about how she was and some version of events which didn't sound completely insane but the voicemail kept going and his heart sank. "This is Haley Kramer, and I'm away from my desk right now but currently in the office. If you need an immediate response please press 0 to transfer to our switchboard where an operator can help you, otherwise please leave a brief message with your name and number after the tone."

Wait, why wasn't Decarabia laughing anymore? He looked down at the demonic starfish in concern, worried that it was running out of gas or some other unpleasant surprise. Decarabia rotated its eye to stare back without bending then flicked its gaze at the enormous star shaped neon SSD on the front of the building. A complete lack of need for roads and stop lights meant they'd gotten there ridiculously fast but now that they'd stopped Joshua saw that there were a lot of people in cars or nearby buildings staring (or pointing their phones) up at him in shock and surprise which probably wasn't good.



And where the hell had all the birds come from? Decarabia chirped enigmatically as even more flocked around them like in that awful and boring Hitchcock movie.

DECARABIA +6 flies JOSHUA to the SSD BUILDING! Roll was success! DECARABIA has managed to navigate the skies above ATHENA CITY to the SSD BUILDING safely and without incident! An ENORMOUS FLOCK OF BIRDS has begun to follow DECARABIA!
People on the ground and in local buildings have seen DECARABIA & ENORMOUS FLOCK OF BIRDS (and JOSHUA) and become quite alarmed!


Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital, outside

"That's right, over here. I've killed enough of you evil little fucks to know what you like." She started crying softly as the Faerie pressed down on her with some invisible force, and soon even those sounds muffled as Mary's face distended and flattened.

This was no time to freeze up and panic. A train of thoughts ran untrammeled through Rebecca's mind but stayed miraculously in sequence as she wrapped her fist in a gown with one hand and smashed a needle driver against the window with the other. Don't panic, that was the trick to it. It was easy because hard work, preparation and careful, deliberate action was how you saved lives. Especially if there was plenty to do and even more which could go wrong. Breaking open a window was definitely the smart move here because that'd help reduce the risk from the oxygen tanks and if she ran out there was every chance that one or more of the fae would stop what they were doing and chase after her right? And she could get help.

Rebecca pulled herself through the window, taking care to avoid the glass and looked nervously behind her. The faerie not tormenting Mary grinned as the coruscating light condensed around it.

"Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae."



Her ears were ringing, but she was unhurt. Rebecca pulled herself to her feet and numbly did a check to make sure that she hadn't caught a stray shard of glass or something, looking in confusion at the fine golden necklace in her hand after she dropped the gown and shook it out. It didn't look like it could do anything, much less be worth a woman's life.

MARY hands off ??? to REBECCA, begging her to flee and find a cop!
REBECCA +2 definitely doesn't panic and attempts to escape using focus techniques learned as an ER Nurse! Roll was success! REBECCA has escaped the sealed ER! REBECCA has created an exit to the sealed ER through one of the windows!
FAERIE +2 tortures MARY for fun! Roll was success! MARY is in great pain and will die soon!
FAERIE +2 casts ???! FAERIE's spell received the effects of a +4 upshift! Roll was great success! ER has exploded!
??? which was passed to REBECCA is a +0 GOLDEN KEY NECKLACE!


Rex Carver - Lucky Dream Garage

"Oh yes, yes of course! Here you are my friend, help yourself while I clear the cash box and grab my things." Grabbing the lock box from the cart Hamid dumped its contents out on a table and popped open a heavy safe in the corner, sweeping the cash and change into a velcro money belt.

The phone was really weird. Rex wasn't by any means a computer or phone expert, but he was pretty sure they were supposed to have a little in-going thingy for the charger. There were also a bunch of triggers and buttons that didn't seem to do anything, In some ways it was more like a camera or video game than anything else, but that made as much sense as anything else. It was probably just the newest model and charged on microwaves or something. There were a ton of alerts messages from whatever game the owner had been playing though, a bunch of tutorials about summoning Devils and dealing in souls.

He tapped the profile under Contracted Devil out of curiosity as Hamid made a thumbs up motion that he was ready to go. Apparently it was a vampire from a whole tribe of the things, and it came from Eastern Europe. Geez this thing got complicated and in-depth. Kresnik.

REX uses +4 PRIVATE EYE to investigate the DDD, but he's also -2 NO GOOD WITH COMPUTERS! Roll was success! DDD has no charging port, a bunch of buttons and triggers that don't seem to do anything, and a bunch of alert messages and tutorials that seem like they're for some weird game! (see third post of OP for alert messages and tutorials)
REX has discovered the profile of the Contracted Devil KRESNIK bound to his DDD and has received an upshift to his first command of KRESNIK! KRESNIK is a member of a vampire tribe from Eastern Europe but the profile mentions whatever details you feel like writing in, and I'll write in the rest!
HAMID opens the SAFE and withdraws +2 MONEYBELT! +2 MONEYBELT is an item which may be increased in ranks or expended after each use depending on the circumstances!


Hank Settor - The Antler Brewery

The officer stopped with his back to Hank, unsure why but slowly processing out some internally consistent explanation as he took off his hat and dropped it by the side of the road before driving off with a grunt about finding his wife.

The Antler was packed to the gills, although it was weird but understandable that instead of experimental jazz or Swedish folk-pop the audio system was playing news radio, and the big screens were running CNN instead of AMC. The bartender leapt across the bar and grabbed him in a sweaty hug as soon as he saw him,

"Hank! Honey I've been worried sick about you, everybody has been making calls but nobody is sure about what's been going on? Is everybody ok for you? Do you need to use our phone?"

After Ruiz let him down, he kept babbling about their other roommate, "I still don't know what happened with Pavlo, he was visiting his mom in the suburbs but his reception must be terrible out there too. My god I've left two dozen messages that went straight to voicemail, he must be either dead or scared of some crazy codependent bitch that keeps calling him and leaving two dozen messages."

Someone had put up a sign by the bar's phone,

quote:

NEED TO CALL A LOVED ONE? CELLPHONE NOT WORKING? USE OUR LANDLINE PHONE


HANK collects the +0 POLICEMAN'S HAT before continuing his trip to THE ANTLER!
THE ANTLER is very crowded!
RUIZ is bartending tonight! RUIZ is very worried about PAVLO!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2016 around 01:51

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker


Birds?!

Of course she wasn't at her desk. Stupid Joshua, why would she be in the middle of a panic like this? Naturally her cell was completely out of the question, and for now the question of how to contact Haley was tabled in favor of more pressing issues. Like, what's up with the birds? Are they another threat like the zombies? Are they normal birds who saw us flying and think we're King Bird? Either way, it wasn't his most urgent concern. With the SSD building in front of him, he considered his options. He knew she worked on the fifteenth floor, but if she wasn't answering her phone then she wasn't at her desk. It was a huge building, and with everything going on she could be just about anywhere. Oh, as for growing concerns, he watched the people on the ground far below gawking up at him, and the image of a giant starfish being followed by a flock of birds wasn't exactly a heroic one. He'd have to deal with that when the time came. At the very least, the building wasn't on fire, and like most corporate skyscrapers, it had big windows that Decarabia had already proven adept in dramatically smashing through.

Looking down at Decarabia, he tried again to communicate. "So, I still don't know how this is supposed to work, but so far you've listened to me. I need you to bust through a window on the fifteenth floor, so I can find Haley. Just like you did back at the school, okay?" He braced himself, holding on tight as he felt the demon begin to accelerate through the flock of birds. "And if these things get fiesty, blow them the hell up! Nothing's gonna stop us!"

JOSHUA uses his Way With Words +4 to attempt to inspire DECARABIA +6, both to increase it's chance for success, and to try and forge a stronger connection! 2d6+4: 14 [2d6=5, 5]


Fallen Decarabia

Whether it was his words, or just the way he said them, Decarabia seemed to pick up on his energy as it turned to charge towards the office window. The birds were a concern, but for his master they seemed nothing but a distraction. Its speed increased exponentially over the distance, becoming a true shooting star as it smashed its way through bird and glass alike. It knew what it was like to suffer the emptiness of losing your other half. Four words appeared in the air behind them, formed from the increasing number of now loose feathers.

WE WILL FIND HER

Casting a spell, a field of orange light expanded from Decarabia and surrounds the two of them, both to turn them into a wrecking ball, and protect them from any attacking birds.

DECARABIA +6 casts Tetrakarn and charges the SSD building! 2d6+6: 15 [2d6=5, 4]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Alma Worth - Massacre site somewhere downtown

Kyrkogrim hurled itself at the angel, pushing it back with the violence of every bark as the skeletal hound danced in a tight circle around Exadeath. This wasn't so hard, honestly. Exadeath had already landed, and busy as it was taking swings at Kyrokogrim Alma barely had to compensate by twisting the camera around to keep it in focus while she traced lines and tapped glowing circles on her Device's screen. It reared up, wings flapping but she easily adjusted her grip to use her forefingers and tap all four prompts at once.

quote:

Contracted Devil Exadeath has been Dismissed! 1/10 of the $ouls used to manifest Exadeath on this plane has been recovered!

Anticlimactically and with no fanfare, the angel disappeared. Alma stared at the message which popped up in the Dismissal screen, $ouls? A little $ counter on the bottom right of her screen by the clock flickered on, and an unread alert from earlier pinged.

quote:

What's that burning its way through your pocket? It's $oul! The only currency that matters, good for every venue, demi-plane, and location which traffics in Devils and Devil-related goods, $oul is the all-access currency of Summoners, witch-kings, and Potentates everywhere. $oul is gathered through death, destruction, or the application of persistent belief. $pend it to earn it, trade with your friends or devils for it, or harvest it directly and buy exciting premium apps or upgrades for your DDD today!

"Exadeath?" Azarchel had crawled out from beneath the car, grubby, tear-stained, and obviously worse for wear as he stared in shock at the empty circle of crosses and religious talismans slowly fading in the daylight. Without the stupid mask she realized that he was just some neckbeard, barely her age if that at all.

"Hey. How many people have you killed?" A man in a suit stood by the car, looking intently down at Azarchel. "N-n-nobody man, that wasn't me ok? I, uh, it was mind control or something? And I can't, I mean I didn't do anything so I didn't kill anybody alright?" How would they explain this to the cops anyway? A pimply teen summoned an angel of death via a magical smartphone which Alma also had a version of, and she rhythm gamed it out of existence while her shadow dog distracted it by barking really loudly? "Oh well that's ok then. Your Devil was the one that did all the killing so you're not like a murderer or anything at all, is that right?"



"I am though."

ALMA +6 Dismisses EXADEATH +8! KYRKOGRIM +2 helps! Roll was success!
ALMA has Dismissed EXADEATH! ALMA has absorbed 1/10 (1,000) of the $ouls which EXADEATH used to manifest itself on this plane!
AZARCHEL still has no ranks to resist with, but has come out from beneath the car!
??? attacks AZARCHEL! AZARCHEL had no ranks to resist and is dead!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013


Rex Carver

"Stupid toys." He kind of hated being "that guy" when it came to electronics, it made him feel like someone's grandfather...but he could never understand the appeal of all the fiddly bits. He only used a smartphone himself because he was fumbling around the phone company's website and accidentally signed up for something called a data-plan. Now he's stuck with the annoying thing and an extra 50$ a month for two years.

As he casually munched his hot dog he stepped out into the open air a bit more to light up another cigarette. He should really try to quite again soon. As he took a drag he peered off into the middle distance, waiting for Hamid to finish up. Considering the severity of the attack its impressive how little chaos he had seen in the city so far...its encouraging to think that not everything falls apart the moment something goes wrong.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013



Rebecca Hunt

The world was a bright, shining, chaotic mess and she loved it at that moment. Her ears ringing, hands shaking, she pulled out her cell phone and checked for bars, before shoving it back into her pocket and looking around for a pay phone. She could hear her mom's voice repeating something that Rebecca had been told in high school, but never had to use before, "If you ever need me, I'm a phone call away. I will come get you any time, day or night, and you don't have to answer any questions." She hoped that this would apply.

She dropped the necklace in her pocket and crossed the street, refusing to look back at the place she had poured so much of her soul into as it became engulfed in flames. She fished out her coin purse, or as she called it, the scared kid candy bar fund, and fumbled the same quarter three times before finally getting a dial tone and typing in her mom's home phone number.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014



"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."


Alma Worth

Gunshots resonate -- they're loud, especially when they're nearby. It wasn't a pleasant sensation -- less so when Alma realized that the strange gunman had unloaded a shot into a defenseless... child, wasn't he, more or less. A child, maybe a ratty and morally bankrupt one, but still a disarmed, harmless --

"He had no weapon and no magic phone," Alma said, holding up the DDD, her tone less than pleased and barely restrained. "And his angel is gone to wherever it came from. So, if you don't mind, how about you put down the gun and explain why in God's name you shot him?"

Haunt Kyrkogrim

Another threat? No, just a mundane human. Nevertheless, Kyrkogrim crept up behind its summoner for the intimidation factor, eyes flashing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fun Shoe

Puppies are dicks posted:

Day 1 - Early afternoon

The officer stopped with his back to Hank, unsure why but slowly processing out some internally consistent explanation as he took off his hat and dropped it by the side of the road before driving off with a grunt about finding his wife.

The Antler was packed to the gills, although it was weird but understandable that instead of experimental jazz or Swedish folk-pop the audio system was playing news radio, and the big screens were running CNN instead of AMC. The bartender leapt across the bar and grabbed him in a sweaty hug as soon as he saw him,

"Hank! Honey I've been worried sick about you, everybody has been making calls but nobody is sure about what's been going on? Is everybody ok for you? Do you need to use our phone?"

After Ruiz let him down, he kept babbling about their other roommate, "I still don't know what happened with Pavlo, he was visiting his mom in the suburbs but his reception must be terrible out there too. My god I've left two dozen messages that went straight to voicemail, he must be either dead or scared of some crazy codependent bitch that keeps calling him and leaving two dozen messages."

Someone had put up a sign by the bar's phone,


HANK collects the +0 POLICEMAN'S HAT before continuing his trip to THE ANTLER!
THE ANTLER is very crowded!
RUIZ is bartending tonight! RUIZ is very worried about PAVLO!


Hank Settor - The Antler Brewery

"I didn't know that Pavlo was in the burbs today" Hank paused, "all my family is upstate or out-of-state so they're probably fine. But if you want I can try to take the train and catch up with him? Or do his parents have a landline?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART


Alma Worth - Massacre site somewhere downtown

"Where is his magic phone?" The man in the suit twitched oddly, shoulders hunching in and out as he looked around with jerky little movements. "I didn't shoot him because he was magic, I shot him because he deserved it. Tell me, how many people have you killed with your magic phone? Or is your dog the murderer? Because that's ok too if you want to call it that. That's probably why it's bunching itself up right now and getting ready to tear my spine out I think."

He was still holding the gun at his side but he didn't raise it or point it again as he looked down at the fallen Device and half turned his head at her.

"It's alright if we're all murderers here. I don't mind. That makes everything a lot easier. Is your dog a murderer?"

This is clearly dialogue instead of actioning which is totally fine and doesn't need stats until one of us escalates the situation by putting some on the table!
??? seems to feel ok with sticking to jus talk!
AZARCHEL's +2 DDD is out in the open where anyone who spends the action to can claim it!


Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital, outside

No bars. Her phone's reception wasn't great at the best of times anyway. It was more than three years old at this point so it was basically an electronic senior citizen on the cusp of dinosaurhood, a gift from the last time her parents had upgraded to a new phone plan but it was full of notes, photos, and little snippets of video she'd shot over the years. At this point she'd keep it regardless of whatever. Shoving it down into her pocket her phone clicked against something hard. The unfamiliar bulge weighed on her as she fumbled her last quarter and it wasn't until she heard the ring tone that she remembered what it was. The smartphone she'd picked up earlier this morning. Was there even a chance she'd be able to return it to whoever now?

"Hello?"

"Mom?"

"Becca? You ok honey? You don't sound too good."

Rebecca's ears prickled while they rang. What was that on the edge of her hearing? Suddenly she looked back at the broken window, watching the sill and wondering if the daylight was getting dimmer or if something on the other side was getting brighter. There, she could definitely hear it now, a wordless soft song coming through in the faerie's bell-like voice.

REBECCA phones home! MOM answered! MOM is a little worried!
FAERIE is singing a nice song and may be approaching the broken window!


Rex Carver - Parking Lot

Hamid had given him the thumbs up and he ground the the cigarette butt down without a look back. It's not like they needed anything else from the garage anyway. They rounded the corner and cross the lot to an ugly scene.

"Hey you loving terrorist! Why don't you gently caress off back to Iraq!" Rex had never met Hamid's brother, but it was a pretty fair bet that the turbaned guy hunched over the wheel of his cab was Ali. "Please I am just waiting for my brother and his friend. We are not terrorists and I drive a cab. We are not even from Iraq, my father he was a refugee-"

The guy pressed up against the door grabbed the handle again, shaking it roughly as he shouted into the window again.

"What's wrong with you people? Why can't you just stay in your own poo poo hole and bomb yourselves! You casing my store so you can come back and bomb it later, is that it?" It was a pretty lovely store even by pawnshop standards, and Rex mused darkly that the screaming rear end in a top hat would make more off the insurance payout from being bombed than he normally did in a year. The man's (brother? son? uncle? they all had the same lack of chin to neck but it was hard to guess age) slammed his hands down on the trunk of the cab while another pawnshop employee unsuccessfully tried the door on the other side.

"This loving terrorist is casing our store!"

"No! I woul never do that! My father, he was a refugee and my family we are Americans. Please I know that this is a very bad time but we cannot turn on each other or the terrorists win. Right? Like the president said, we can't let the terrorists win."

There were people watching and people not quite in a crowd or in the street, but mostly they were pointing at the cab with their phones and waiting to see what happened next.

REX & HAMID are done with the garage! REX & HAMID have encountered a wild +4 PAWNSHOP DUDES! +4 PAWNSHOP DUDES are pretty angry that ALI has been waiting in the parking lot across from their store!
There are bystanders/spectators in the area but they have not yet acted!


Joshua Whittaker - SSD Building 15th Floor

Somehow there was a moment of rapprochement, man and unspeakable starfish found common cause and Joshua wondered vaguely if monsters had girlfriends they were secretly worried about disappointing too. Now it wasn't laughing.

Decarabia blasted through the windows on the 15th floor like a five pointed meteor and still worrying about the birds Joshua ducked his dead down and grabbed on for all that the was worth. When he looked up again they'd plowed their way through the locked conference doors, drywall, and stucco decor, leaving him a momentarily clear access to almost everything on the floor.

"They're flying planes into the building!"

"It's an attack! A terrorist attack!"

"It's birds! They're putting bombs on birds!"

The flock of birds had parted before Decarabia, instead flapping gently inside in its wake. Almost casually and without regard for the damage they hopped and perched indoors, but aside from a single collective chirp which passed through them they were oddly silent despite the shouting humans.

JOSHUA +4 inspires DECARABIA +6, forging a stronger connection with heartfelt conversation! Roll was success! A +2 upshift has been created for DECARABIA'S next action due to high morale!
DECARABIA +6(+2 from JOSHUA's action) casts Tetrakarn and charges the SSD building! Roll was success! DECARABIA has smashed through the window of the 15th floor, through the wall(s) and into the SSD building! JOSHUA is free to move initially through the 15th floor unimpeded due to DECARABIA's relentless advance!
ENORMOUS FLOCK OF BIRDS did not attack! ENORMOUS FLOCK OF BIRDS has entered the SSD building in DECARABIA's wake!
BYSTANDERS are shouting some conflicting and nonsensical things!


Hank Settor - The Antler Brewery

"I don't know, he never said. But if you're free could you? I don't want to be the stereotype of that silly queen who freaks out over everything but it's just, you know?" Ruiz paused for a moment and the worries of the day seemed to catch up on him all at once in a wave of stress which tipped him gently down agains the edge of the bar. "I'm worried about him."

"There's all these people running around and everybody is scared because they can't get in touch with anybody because of the phones, and all day long we've been hearing those ambulances you know?" To prove the point another ambulance wailed by, alarms and sirens blazing. "I got a lot of people they come in and they just don't want to go because they don't want to be outside. One guy called his wife and told her to get the kids out of school and bring them over here, and then I'm like 'why would you tell them to travel if you think the streets aren't safe?'"

"Things are just a little..." He made a sign with his finger against his head, "I don't even know if we should be serving drinks right now or what."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008


Wedge Regret

Joshua Whittaker


This is crazy, isn't it? Am I crazy?

If Joshua had taken a moment, just one, to think about what he'd just done, he'd realize it was completely ridiculous. He may have just done more damage than the demons themselves, blasting through half a floor like that. If he took another, he might imagine the look on the face of some hapless office worker as he watched a giant starfish flanked by swarms of birds surge towards the nearest window. If there was a third, he might even think to check if he crushed someone on the way in. Joshua had time for exactly none of that poo poo. Too much had happened today for him to start picking things apart now! As chaos surrounded him, he felt oddly at ease, even the birds that were filling the building creating a weirdly calming silence of their own. He didn't have time for the people who were yelling at him, their voices blending together into a single, confused narrative. "Shut the hell up! Haley Kramer, where the hell is she!?"

He looked between them, his words seeming to fall on deaf ears.

"Who the hell are you?!"
"What the hell did you do!?"
"What is that THING? Are you working with the terrorists?"

Joshua groaned, trying to get an answer out of them. "Doesn't matter, doesn't matter, doesn't matter, and no! I'm just here for Hale-"

"Who do you think you are?!"
"Do you have any idea what you just did?"
"You're lying!"

He looked around as they questioned him, trying to see if he could spot her from here, even as the birds made visibility difficult. More questions.

"Answer me! I'm going to hold you responsible for this!"
"You just destroyed months of work! Months!"
"We should stop him! Before he does it again!"

There was absolutely no time for this poo poo anymore. "EVERYBODY QUIET!" As he said that, Decarabia seemed to get what was going on, as it made a sound that seemed like a cross between an air horn and a traffic accident. It let off a bright red glow, as if preparing to do something drastic. After a moment, the sound stopped. All eyes turned to him, silent for just a moment. "Now, I'm going to ask this one more time nicely, and then I'm going to stop being nice. Where is Haley Kramer?" As he looked between them, he could feel his hands shake. Now that he wasn't in constant motion, the adrenaline wasn't as strong, and he realized how long it had been since he had a drink. It wasn't a problem right this second, but it would be soon. Just need to make it until I find her. Then we can both get a drink.

JOSHUA attempts to use A Way With Words +4 backed up by the not at all silent threat of DECARABIA +6! 2d6+4: 12 [2d6=6, 2]


Fallen Decarabia

Of course, Decarabia wasn't actually doing anything to prepare to kill anyone. It would prefer that, as it is both faster and more fun, but it deferred to Joshua. Mostly it was just making noises and glowing, and humans seemed to really eat that poo poo up. He started spinning in mid air, just to add another intimidating aspect as it's 'arms' brushed up against anyone close enough, which caused several people to panic in terror. At the very least, it was having fun. It also knew that if it helped Joshua, then Joshua would be bound to help him. Honor bound. Normally, Decarabia had no use for such sentiment, but it needed his help to stay in this world long enough to accomplish it's own goal.

DECARABIA +6 spins around, glows red, and makes a series of terribly angry noises to add an intimidating factor to JOSHUA's line of questioning! 2d6+6: 9 [2d6=1, 2]

  • Locked thread
«2 »