Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's that time of year where I'm cleaning out the grill, replacing worn out parts, getting it ready for summer. This is a propane grill.

I have used ceramic grilling briquets in the past to help distribute heat better, but I can't seem to find them anywhere these days.

All I can find are lava rocks and 'flavorizer bars'/heat tents.

So I have questions about them:

The instructions for placing lava rocks are different than the very precise directions for putting in the ceramic briquets. Do I just fill the grate completely with lava rocks and no gaps, or do I leave a little bit of room between pieces?

I was also thinking of returning the lava rocks, and maybe trying out the flavorizer bars instead, but I have the same questions: how close do they have to be together? Is it ok to have gaps between the bars/edges of the grill? I ask because there's no loving way I'm buying the 'official' thingamajig from the manufacturer, and I can't find a precise size of flavorizer bars that would fit my grill exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Don't have a real answer for you, but as a side note it seems like using strips of unglazed ceramic tile could serve this purpose pretty well not to mention being incredibly cheap by comparison.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the best way to evenly distribute heat when grilling is to get long tongs to move your wood chunks and/or charcoal around while you're cooking

• Locked thread